• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished chapter 2 of The Dark Knight Returns, I can tell why it's held in such high regard. Definitely going to have to watch the animated adaption when I finish.

As usual when this pops up, I highly recommend the Ultron Unlimited storyline (issues #19-22) and the Kang Dynasty arc (issues #41-55 + Annual 2001).
All of Busiek's run is great but these arcs are among the best Avengers stories ever told. They're respectively my favorite Ultron and Kang stories, although it's a tie with Avengers Forever in Kang's case.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is busiek run the one with Justice and Firestar in it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
U guys know that all that shit is on MU and it's just 10 bucks right?

Going back to the whole Ales Kot, Gerads, Edmonson, deal. It's why I always tell people not to call me sir. They don't know the things I've done or how dark I get in my head sometimes.

How does Comic-GAF feel about Linkara as a comic reviewer? I'm watching his review of Red Hood and the Outlaws. He seems to share my opinion on how much of a mess that book is, so I'm okay with him.

Cade

I'm sure it's been asked and answered before in here and I apologize but of the Star Wars stuff now on Marvel Unlimited, what's good if you don't care about fanservice and just wanna read a coolass story?

PsychBat!

Banned
How does Comic-GAF feel about Linkara as a comic reviewer? I'm watching his review of Red Hood and the Outlaws. He seems to share my opinion on how much of a mess that book is, so I'm okay with him.

Eh, he's alright but his reviews are so long winded even for one single issue. But that's just from the reviews I've seen.

zennyzz

he's neither here nor there for me. Rather gimmicky and spends way too much time reviewing single issues.

Eh, he's alright but his reviews are so long winded even for one single issue. But that's just from the reviews I've seen.

he's neither here nor there for me. Rather gimmicky and spends way too much time reviewing single issues.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting. I think he's better suited to do whole arcs at a time. I'll give a couple more vids a watch and see.

Do you guys have any recommended reviewers for comics?

PsychBat!

Banned
Do you guys have any recommended reviewers for comics?
Was going to recommend comicbookcast2 on youtube but their reviews are short and not fleshed out quite enough. Also there's this one dude that just repeats himself on why he thinks the issue he's reviewing falls short.

Not to mention they gave the entire AXIS event glowing reviews. I can't believe I just typed that.

Was going to recommend comicbookcast2 on youtube but their reviews are short and not fleshed out quite enough. Also there's this one dude that just repeats himself on why he thinks the issue he's reviewing falls short.

Not to mention they gave the entire AXIS event glowing reviews. I can't believe I just typed that.
I mean, either that, or a good comic book podcast.

You picked a review I strongly disagreed with. I think I stopped watching that when he called the art crap.

Nice, will pick it up when it is $5 or less on PC.
Expect it to run like shit on your PS4/X1/PS3 otherwise though. I mean it'll be fun but if they use the same engine, I don't care how good it is, $5 or bust.
No $6.24 is still too much for their games.

It'll be buggy as hell and take almost a year or more to come out. TT couldn't keep to a schedule if their lives depended on it.

Yeah, I expect the TT Marvel game to have its first episode release before Infinity War part 1 and its last episode to release well after part 2.

IrishNinja

comics-GAF,help me out right quick...cross-posting

Wow, goddamn nearly everyone in here is wrong.

Look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5, its way better than using an iPad. Aspect ratio, SD card support, screen size, screen quality. I've used both for reading comics extensively and its no contest.

15327169035_3d7c881e96_b.jpg

how's the galaxy pro stack up to this, for comic viewing? both do micro SD, but that S has a sexy OLED, whereas the Pro can be had at a 12.2" screen, which with my vision sounds dead sexy too...thoughts?

U guys know that all that shit is on MU and it's just 10 bucks right?

also has marvel stepped up their digital game? i loved their back catalog a while back, but current stuff was slack as fuck...how on point are they now? id love to support

Iceternal

Ok guys, I don't wanna miss the "big event" (Secret Wars) but I'm several years late with comic books.

What would be a reasonable jumping point ? Do I have to go all the way back to the beginning of Marvel Now or can I just start reading the stuff that's coming out now ? I can try going back one month but not much earlier. I wouldn't have time or money...

zennyzz

Ok guys, I don't wanna miss the "big event" (Secret Wars) but I'm several years late with comic books.

What would be a reasonable jumping point ? Do I have to go all the way back to the beginning of Marvel Now or can I just start reading the stuff that's coming out now ? I can try going back one month but not much earlier. I wouldn't have time or money...

most of what you need to know is in hickman's run of avengers and new avengers.

From there you can go into the main event. You probably should also checkout Ultimate End which apparently also has impact on the main event story.

From there you have three sub types

Last Days: These are parts of Ongoings that are ending with Secret Wars which specifically relate themselves to the moments leading up to the end of the world

Battle World: These are tie ins to the main narrative of the Secret Wars event

Warzones: These are mini series, self contained and totally their own things. Many of which are retellings of famous Marvel stories

zennyzz

Read the first volume of Wayward.

Not too sure how I feel about it.

I very much like the setting, but not too sure if I enjoy the writing.

Gggaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. It won't end. I think I even pulled a muscle too from resisting. Like a catholic schoolboy I wollow in the guilt and pain, trying to find forgiveness.

I was disappointed in the solicits that Remender hasn't gone Deluxe Hardcover for his books yet. Tempted for the trades now.

Tizoc

You know as much as I like Cassidy and am surprised he's able to get these Star Wars issues released in a good schedule; wtf is up with the EYES, jeebus.

Star Wars is still friggin' awesome though!

Chew 48 was great this week.
ihfPA3T.jpg

Looking forward to the event X3
gH2LBPV.jpg

I swear Metal Sonic is the Terminator.

Zombine

Banned
Gggaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh. It won't end. I think I even pulled a muscle too from resisting. Like a catholic schoolboy I wollow in the guilt and pain, trying to find forgiveness.

I was disappointed in the solicits that Remender hasn't gone Deluxe Hardcover for his books yet. Tempted for the trades now.

Remender is cheap confirmed?

Zombine

Banned
The Infinite Loop is definitely my book of the week. Just read it again and I love what they're setting up with the character.

Page 9 was amazing.

Aw man,

FCBD Spoilers DC Edition

Darkseid's daughter is an Amazonian? I like but...I'd have preferred it to be Kaiyo. BC's Batman 40 Spoilers are nothing they haven't already told us and the identity of Darkseid's daughter explains Wonder Woman's prominence in The Darkseid War

Messi

This year's team is better than last years team.

Not too worried. The front trio are all in form, the midfield doesn't rely on a busted Xavi and Fabregas anymore and Pique is really really good again.

Yeah that attacking threat Barça have right now is insane. But it's Bayern and Pep. Last time was utterly humiliating. But this time Messi will be fully fit and we have neymar and Suarez. Pique has been back to his best recently. We win then it's likely a clasico final :/

Gonna try get a ticket to the bayern game.

Comics guys. Anyone read Unbeatable Squirrel Girl this week? Totes adorbz.
of course Doreen would take a selfie with Galactus. The trading cards bit kills me every time they use it.

Gonna be interesting to see how that JL spoiler plays out in context.

Totally. I'm interested for the context but I'm fine with it. I remember when New 52 started some people thought the daughter was going to be
Wonder Woman

I'm interested to see if it's purely physical or crazy omega powers

Zombine

Banned
Ugu~ the relationships in The Infinite Loop are building to something great. The only issue I can identify this early on is that the entire story revolves around the protagonist's job as a
cleaner who scrubs the world of time displaced objects.
She explicitly mentions that
nothing can change or shit gets fucked up.
So naturally, there is no way that she should be able to
end up with this space woman.
It would go against the theme of the book which is explained for the first 26 pages.

It's really important that this book does a good job of establishing who she is, because right now she has a better connection with her male partner.

tim1138

Totally. I'm interested for the context but I'm fine with it. I remember when New 52 started some people thought the daughter was going to be
Wonder Woman

I'm interested to see if it's purely physical or crazy omega powers

There is precedent for it too, in Earth 2 Fury was the daughter of
Diana and Steppenwolf

I'm pretty hyped for Darkseid War in general, I'm hoping Barda is there with Scott Free as a key character.

Top Bottom