• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Zombine

Banned
Ex Machina is the best Science Fiction movie I have seen since Moon. Holy shit. Mind = Blown.

10/10

5/5

GOTY 2015

"Quote as fuck"

MattyG

Banned
Ex Machina is the best Science Fiction movie I have seen since Moon. Holy shit. Mind = Blown.

10/10

5/5

GOTY 2015

"Quote as fuck"
I watched the trailer and it seemed like it spoiled almost the whole movie, but I'm still super excited to see it.

Lol you know I'm in NY...it came out on Friday. Wide release.

No, I just thought it might have been a press screening or something. I thought the release wasn't for a couple weeks for some reason.

So tell us... did someone fuck a robot? Did someone go all Hank Pym?

Boogiepop

So I'm totally the sort who's out of the loop, which this following statement probably shows, but I just watched Birdman for the first time, and had gone in knowing virtually nothing about the film. I definitely enjoyed it, though it definitely got a bit artsier than my usual fair. And I've now watched two movies that are essentially done as one big cut, the other one being when I watched Rope for a film class.

(Does this count as comic related enough? Maybe?)

Zombine

Banned
No, I just thought it might have been a press screening or something. I thought the release wasn't for a couple weeks for some reason.

So tell us... did someone fuck a robot? Did someone go all Hank Pym?

Possibly. But the moment the movie ended I was euphoric. I finally know how Ben feels when he gets hyped. Ex Machina was right up my alley and was exactly the movie I needed to watch after Fast 7 last Friday.

DCBS shipment arrived and finally read some comics.

Avengers: Rage of Ultron
This was pretty good, Opena brought the visuals and Remender made a very interesting Hank/Ultron story. Larraz did some good work as well. Really good cast Remender used,
Starfox
was a great addition, Remender seems to love to use Spider-Man just to up the style of the book. Also, Vision had an amazing part. There were some things I didn't like but this is one of the better Marvel OGNs that have come out.

Runlovekill #1
Not sure what I thought about this, the art is amazing but the story is kind of weak. I'll give it the first arc to see if it gets better. I think the world and the premise doesn't really appeal to me.

No Mercy #1
This, I like. A strong first issue filled with character building. Looking forward to the next issue.

Savior #1
I'm kind of on the fence for this one, Clayton Crain did some fantastic visuals in this (especially the two page spread) but the story barely presented itself. Going to stay for the first arc.

Boogiepop

Man, I really don't keep up with movies that aren't comic movies well. Had to check that the movie you guys are talking about wasn't an adaptation of the comic Ex Machina. Like when I was checking movies a bit back and did a double-take at that Nightcrawler movie, before I realized that of course they didn't make a solo movie for that guy that goes bampf.

Owzers

So I'm totally the sort who's out of the loop, which this following statement probably shows, but I just watched Birdman for the first time, and had gone in knowing virtually nothing about the film. I definitely enjoyed it, though it definitely got a bit artsier than my usual fair. And I've now watched two movies that are essentially done as one big cut, the other one being when I watched Rope for a film class.

(Does this count as comic related enough? Maybe?)

Birdman:
hey wait, it's about a play?
I knew little about the movie going in too, i try to avoid too many spoilers. I enjoyed it but yeah, weird stuff. I did love the way it was filmed.

Messi

Every time I clear out my book marks I see this and it makes me laugh.

5XCgZLg.png

I don't even know what I said to cause it but it is even more fitting after the whole Batgirl thing.

I gotta admit. I'm not a fan anymore with what Soule is doing with the Inhumans. Dropped plot points everywhere, no sense of a larger world or players, nothing to the characters. Shame.

Boogiepop

So I just finished the Busiek/Perez Avengers omnibus. I'll post actual thoughts tomorrow, but before I forget: it ends on a teaser for whatever's next I guess, and there's a guy there who is apparently named Carnivore or something that I'm not familiar with, and... he's just straight up wearing something that really looks like Psylocke's outfit at least to me. Like, I glanced at the page and thought I saw Psylocke and then went... huh. Then again, it's getting later and I'm a little sleepy now.

Bye-Bye Monies list

Gotham City Sirens Book 2
Multiversity #2
Jem & The Holograms #2
Alex + Ada #14
Bitch Planet #4
Invincible #119
Red One #2
Sunstone OGN Vol.2
Avengers #44
New Avengers #33
Silk #3
Silver Surfer #11

So I just finished the Busiek/Perez Avengers omnibus. I'll post actual thoughts tomorrow, but before I forget: it ends on a teaser for whatever's next I guess, and there's a guy there who is apparently named Carnivore or something that I'm not familiar with, and... he's just straight up wearing something that really looks like Psylocke's outfit at least to me. Like, I glanced at the page and thought I saw Psylocke and then went... huh. Then again, it's getting later and I'm a little sleepy now.

That was Johns, right?

Owzers

i spent all my comics time on digital stuff, mainly Star Wars Dark Times on MU through issue 17 and then into the other mini that followed it. I'm finding it enjoyable without anything too remarkable that has me coming here saying Jedi Hijinx. It's a grim book, which is okay, taking place after a star wars movie Messi probably hasn't seen yet. I need to go back to Legacy soon, i remember that one being quite good.

i spent all my comics time on digital stuff, mainly Star Wars Dark Times on MU through issue 17 and then into the other mini that followed it. I'm finding it enjoyable without anything too remarkable that has me coming here saying Jedi Hijinx. It's a grim book, which is okay, taking place after a star wars movie Messi probably hasn't seen yet. I need to go back to Legacy soon, i remember that one being quite good.

I quite enjoyed Legacy. It was consistently good to the point where I bought all of the trades as they released. Probably my favorite Star Wars comic series so far.

Isn't undead G man already a Ghost Rider? It sounds weird but then a great deal of the Battleworld books do so who knows. Was Death of Wolverine any good? can't say I've read anything Soule has done.
I can safely say that I know absolutely nothing about Death of Wolverine, and I have not spoken to anyone about Death of Wolverine, and no one that I know, in fact, knows anything about Death of Wolverine.

I'm okay with that.

Squire

Banned
Finished Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men. Phenomenal stuff. The writing and the art were incredible, Blindfold and especially Armor are great contributions by Whedon, and this book just made Kitty Pryde and Emma Frost for me. Kitty I already liked a ton and like even more now, but Emma regularly stole the show here. She has two monologues that are just aces.

Someone told me this was one of the GOAT X-Men runs and I believe it. That ending. 😭😭😭

Vyer

How can someone be 'ashamed to be seen in public' reading anything from the Big Two or Image, so as a solution they stick to licensed stuff like X-Files and G.I. Joe.

I mean...huh?

How can someone be 'ashamed to be seen in public' reading anything from the Big Two or Image, so as a solution they stick to licensed stuff like X-Files and G.I. Joe.

I mean...huh?

I found that a bit confusing, too. People are generally either in the "Comics are for kids" or "Comics are for everyone" camp. If it's the former, they won't give a shit what you're reading. Who cares what other people think, anyway?

PsychBat!

Banned

I mean...huh?

Was this a random thought you had or did someone post something like that?

They'll pay for it (◣_◢)

Isn't undead G man already a Ghost Rider? It sounds weird but then a great deal of the Battleworld books do so who knows. Was Death of Wolverine any good? can't say I've read anything Soule has done.

Death of Wolverine was decent. Soule tends to level out at decent/okay for me

obin_gam

Re: Batman comics:

Is Batman by Snyder the only one worth following now? Or does 'Tec or Eternal have anything of value?

What is Eternal anyway? A spinoff? A completely seperate title? I dont get it..

Is Batman by Snyder the only one worth following now? Or does 'Tec or Eternal have anything of value?

The batman books to read are Snyders Batman and Tomasi's Batman & Robin.

Eternal was a sorts of self contained weekly batman book which was a year long arc that was used to launch various other Gotham books and stuff. It's not 52 level of awesome but it was decent in areas.

Batman, Batman and Robin are no brainers. Detective with the new team around issue #30ish has great art and a decent story. Batman Eternal plays around with alot of the Batman Family at the same time so it's more of a sprawling epic.

Mindwipe

Annoyed with myself that I missed that Ms Marvel sale on CMX by like an hour.

I just stocked up on Fade Out, a few more TWD, Pretty Deadly, Ravine and Death Vigil.

Top Bottom