• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
0e3.png

And I am ok with this.
I am so happy that nobody will retcon-destroy my Spidey. And that the X-Men are going to stay.

Daredevil is pretty good. But I don't think it's the best comic show at the moment. Flash still has that on absolute lock down.

It's definitely better than the hot trash tier that is Agents of Shield.

Zombine

Banned
Daredevil is pretty good. But I don't think it's the best comic show at the moment. Flash still has that on absolute lock down.

It's definitely better than the hot trash tier that is Agents of Shield.

I'm not even gonna bother ranking these shows. It's just a good time to be a fan of comics and tv in general. Daredevil is badass. Flash is badass. iZombie is badass. Walking Dead is badass.

Daredevil has been really great. 9 eps down, will finish the rest tonight. I never thought id be seeing great marvel and dc movies. And now we're getting great DC and Marvel TV shows??

Younger folks these days are so so spoiled at how good they got it. What a great time for comic and fiction fans in general.

I'm rereading Animal Man in preparation for my Rotworld. For shits and giggles, I tried reading Buddy's lines in Weird Al's voice.

I still can't believe those DC Nation shorts were made concurrently with these comics.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm rereading Animal Man in preparation for my Rotworld. For shits and giggles, I tried reading Buddy's lines in Weird Al's voice.

I still can't believe those DC Nation shorts were made concurrently with these comics.
Rotworld is garbage. All you need to do to prep is discard your dreams, ambitions, and any good feelings you may have had about Animal Man prior to Rotworld.

Rotworld is garbage. All you need to do to prep is discard your dreams, ambitions, and any good feelings you may have had about Animal Man prior to Rotworld.

I remember you and Tim criticizing it. And I procrastinated on it, but I swore to read way back when.

And I'll admit, what little I've spoiled myself on concerning the Swamp Thing side sounds pretty dumb.

Owzers

Just finished episode 3. Lol @ how
the assassin killed himself. I have never seen a death that silly, and I used to watch Bones.

4th episode down! It is starting to have a goofy quality to it, not CW levels of Dawson Creek antics, but it's there.

Rotworld was how i knew the New 52 was over for me. I didn't drop everything right then, but it's what started the end.

tim1138

Why would you willingly subject yourself to reading Rotworld? Is this some kind of comics based penance for previous transgressions?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I remember you and Tim criticizing it. And I procrastinated on it, but I swore to read way back when.

And I'll admit, what little I've spoiled myself on concerning the Swamp Thing side sounds pretty dumb.
Yeah, it unfortunately sinks both books. They tried to do an ostensibly smart thing by creating this sort of governing underworld for animals, plant life, and the dead, but it got wildly unfocused and honestly just stunk because Lemire and Foreman were crafting a new and great Animal Man comic, finally, prior. Also, it goes on forever.

There are at least two issues in the rest of the Animal Man run that are really great, so just make sure if you're doing Rotworld, to grab the second Animal Man annual and the final issue so that you get back some of the magic from those initial bunch of issues.

Why would you willingly subject yourself to reading Rotworld? Is this some kind of comics based penance for previous transgressions?

Sometimes, you need to be reminded what shit is like. Let's put it that way, JC's preaching about bad comics be damned.

And if nothing else, it could reinforce the lesson of not reading event comics.

tim1138

Yeah, it unfortunately sinks both books. They tried to do an ostensibly smart thing by creating this sort of governing underworld for animals, plant life, and the dead, but it got wildly unfocused and honestly just stunk because Lemire and Foreman were crafting a new and great Animal Man comic, finally, prior. Also, it goes on forever.

There are at least two issues in the rest of the Animal Man run that are really great, so just make sure if you're doing Rotworld, to grab the second Animal Man annual and the final issue so that you get back some of the magic from those initial bunch of issues.

Plus the end of Rotworld was just an insult to the reader's intelligence.

It's no coincidence that the second annual and the last issue were Lemire/Foreman joints. Really makes you wonder what might have been, had Foreman been able to stay on the book. Not that I fault him by dropping it, that must have been incredibly difficult to work on after losing his mother.

Due to the lack of tripbacons this weekend, the mind wandered a bit, and we remembered that we never got to read those ancient Men in Black comics.

And then we found out that the ip belongs to Marvel nowadays.

...why the heck aren't they using that thing?

Zombine

Banned
Due to the lack of tripbacons this weekend, the mind wandered a bit, and we remembered that we never got to read those ancient Men in Black comics.

And then we found out that the ip belongs to Marvel nowadays.

...why the heck aren't they using that thing?

I went on that search about two years ago and it ended in disappointment myself.

ComicsDaredevil OT:

Got through episode 4. They're playing Kingpin (assumigng that's who he is) differently than I thought they would; admittedly, I don't have much/any experience with the character, but I always imagined him more... flamboyant. D'Onofrio is playing the villainous counterpart to his Law and Order character, in a lot of ways. It works, though. The bit where he
decapitated the Russian with the door
was appropriately brutal.

ComicsDaredevil OT:

Got through episode 4. They're playing Kingpin (assumigng that's who he is) differently than I thought they would; admittedly, I don't have much/any experience with the character, but I always imagined him more... flamboyant. D'Onofrio is playing the villainous counterpart to his Law and Order character, in a lot of ways. It works, though. The bit where he
decapitated the Russian with the door
was appropriately brutal.

The best Kingpin depictions are usually quite contained. Only do flashy stuff when they need to show that they are the Kingpin indeed. Rest of the time he's a businessman.

Flamboyancy is reserved for his son, the Rose, which i do hope that they don't depict.

Good God, what have I become?

I've been following Spider-Man and the X-Men and Outcast and I have House of M, Old Man Logan and Civil War waiting for me when I get home.

AND

When Secret Wars starts, I plan on picking up the main storyline and the House of M, Civil War and Old Man Logan issues.

Is this what I have to look forward to?

Hopefully, yes. I am hooked.

Owzers

I've been following Spider-Man and the X-Men and Outcast and I have House of M, Old Man Logan and Civil War waiting for me when I get home.

AND

When Secret Wars starts, I plan on picking up the main storyline and the House of M, Civil War and Old Man Logan issues.

It could be worse, you could start buying statues.

I went on that search about two years ago and it ended in disappointment myself.

The heck.
You weren't joking.

While the art is all sorts of rough, the writer has a very strong grasp of pacing, taking his time building up greater things while never completely giving away the game, even though the comic is nonstop exposition. Heck, he goes through all three first issues with a constant infodump going on, and it never feels overbearing. At the end you don't even know what Zed is, besides not a car and maybe human.

Also, dear gods, original Kay is a GIGANTIC asshole.

... why the heck did Cunningham give up on comics shortly after? Dude can write better than half the guys in the industry. This makes no sense.

AND

Read Uncanny X-Force fam

Owzers

After beating Bloodborne i decided to go back in a little, since i am now a pro. I went to parry a brick hulk and he punched me in the face after laughing at my pistol shot. I still have no idea how to parry on a consistent basis.

Squire

Banned
I still read comics, Comics GAF, I swear!

Uncanny X-men: That Morph/Emma Frost issue is super solid. Love when an issue can stand on its own that way and feel so contained. Next issue: GIRL POWER!
(I was all the way into it)

Spider-Woman: Did I post about reading this already? I got #5 and 6 and i loooove it.

Daredevil: Shit is phenomenal, fam. Just finished episode 6.

Zombine

Banned
Holy shit. The hoops I just had to jump through to spend money at Comixology were ridiculous just now. I completely realize that they would prefer you not spend $1 by itself, because it costs them more to process the credit card, but they lock you into this weird shit where if you have auto-buy on and you buy a book for $1, you get the book but don't pay, and they won't let you continue on with new purchases until you pay for the book, but they don't let you combine orders so you can't pay. The only thing that worked was Amazon payments.

C'mon Isak...

Top Bottom