• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

is there any new 52 superhero runs worth reading?

i already got batman, lemire green arrow, wonder woman and grayson covered. but is that about it or what? aquaman worth a look? does shazam or flash have anything decent?

tim1138

Here's hoping the new game has better dialog when referring to the female characters. I still cringe when I remember how awful the baddie dialog was in Arkham City when playing as Catwoman. Every line was bitch this and bitch that and "that bitch". It was so bad I was embarrassed to play it when my wife was in the room.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

i already got batman, lemire green arrow, wonder woman and grayson covered. but is that about it or what? aquaman worth a look? does shazam or flash have anything decent?
Lemire's Animal Man, Morrison's Action Comics are solid.

Manapul/Buccelato Flash is supposed to be okay, at least it'll be pretty to look at.

Aquaman is good stuff. So is Shazam, although that's collected in a single trade. I like Justice League Dark, though it's not the greatest and it's less superhero-y.

tim1138

All of Aquaman to date had been fantastic, both Johns and Parker did great things on that book.
Avoid the Flash like it's diseased, it may have been pretty to look at but the writing was god awful. Animal Man is worth checking out, just skip the Rotworld crossover. Hell just make up your own story in your head, it almost has to be better then what was actually published.
Sticking with Lemire, although really it was mostly written by Matt Kindt, check out Frankenstein.
Paul Cornell's run on Demon Knights was great, no clue how it was after he left though.
DiDio and Giffen's OMAC was a lot of fun, and way better than anyone gives it credit for.
Justice League 3000 is fantastic, solid storytelling by Giffen and DeMatteis and insane art by Howard Porter.
The short Geoff Johns/John Romita Jr run on Superman was a lot of fun.
I've seen good buzz for the Greg Pak/Aaron Kuder Action Comics run.
Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin was pretty stellar.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
All of Aquaman to date had been fantastic, both Johns and Parker did great things on that book.
Avoid the Flash like it's diseased, it may have been pretty to look at but the writing was god awful. Animal Man is worth checking out, just skip the Rotworld crossover. Hell just make up your own story in your head, it almost has to be better then what was actually published.
Sticking with Lemire, although really it was mostly written by Matt Kindt, check out Frankenstein.
Paul Cornell's run on Demon Knights was great, no clue how it was after he left though.
DiDio and Giffen's OMAC was a lot of fun, and way better than anyone gives it credit for.
Justice League 3000 is fantastic, solid storytelling by Giffen and DeMatteis and insane art by Howard Porter.
The short Geoff Johns/John Romita Jr run on Superman was a lot of fun.
I've seen good buzz for the Greg Pak/Aaron Kuder Action Comics run.
Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin was pretty stellar.
I don't even need to post anything because Tim is the fucking man.

Frankenstein and Demon Knights were two of my favorite new52 joints during that first year or two. There really seemed to be a ton of diversity when the reboot started.

SoilBreak

Banned
You mean Titus, right?

Nah
JbyUwlg.jpg

Tizoc

Wonder Woman, Morrison's Action Comics run, Detective Comics (Need to remember which issue to start from though...), Batman.

Honestly Wondy was the only Nu52 book I mainly followed.

Geoff Johns' Superman run is short and good. The last issue was great.

Batwoman was good from what I read but it's probably a good idea to stop where the original creative team leaves.

tim1138

I guess DC decided 40 issues of excellent Aquaman was enough.

AQUAMAN (Written by Cullen Bunn with Art by Trevor McCarthy)

Aquaman is mysteriously on the run from Atlantis. His main tormentor: his former consort Mera. This prequel introduces new characters that Mera has tasked to hunt down the Sea King.

Thanks for saving me $4 a month!

tim1138

This on the other hand will be fantastic

JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001 (Written by Keith Giffen with Art by Howard Porter)

It's one year later for the Justice League. Superman and Teri, aka the Flash, are finally having their first date – it’s a good thing Batman and Ariel decided to tag along. What could possibly go wrong? Maybe the appearance of a sexy new female Leaguer named – wait a minute, this can’t be right – GUY GARDNER?!

tim1138

Okay, wait what. I haven't been following JL3000, but that sounds confusing/amazing as fuck.

You really should check out JL3K, it had a bit of a slow start but then Giffen convinced editorial and the powers that be to let them do whatever the hell they wanted and it became completely awesome. They brought back the bwa ha ha JLI versions of Booster, Blue Beetle, Fire, and Ice. They referenced pretty much everything Kirby alluded to in Kamandi, they used Etrigan, oh and there was also
Darkseid's head
in a jar. It's easily the best team book DC is putting out.

JL3001 is going to introduce Guy/Gal Gardner, new New Gods, Starro, and a bunch of other fun sounding stuff.

You really should check out JL3K, it had a bit of a slow start but then Giffen convinced editorial and the powers that be to let them do whatever the hell they wanted and it became completely awesome. They brought back the bwa ha ha JLI versions of Booster, Blue Beetle, Fire, and Ice. They referenced pretty much everything Kirby alluded to in Kamandi, they used Etrigan, oh and there was also
Darkseid's head
in a jar. It's easily the best team book DC is putting out.

JL3001 is going to introduce Guy/Gal Gardner, new New Gods, Starro, and a bunch of other fun sounding stuff.

Damn, I really do have to check that out. I literally just read those JLI books.

Vibranium

Banned
honestly i think origins had much better writing than either asylum or city

It did, and Roger Craig Smith kicked ass. He's a great Captain America and a great Batman (he should have voiced Bruce in Year One). I also really liked Troy Baker, I honestly think for any DC Animated movies with a younger Joker they should use him.

tim1138

So I took Korupt's challenge and started Final Crisis again to lead up to the final issue of Multiversity. This book makes me horribly depressed that we live in a world where Morrison and Kirby never got to collaborate. It would have been the stuff dreams are made of...

rude

Banned

Batwoman (with JH Williams) has the best art of the entire New 52. So that.

Afrodium

Banned
MU just got a great update on iOS. Landscape mode now shows a blown-up view of half the page and it is scrollable. It's much better than smart panel in my opinion.

Mindwipe

Morrison's Action Comics was great.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Batwoman doesn't quite scale it's pre-New 52 heights but it is, as mentioned, beautiful.

Squire

Banned
Is Cameron Stewart sort of obnoxious?

He's trying to paint things in Daredevil as random inconsistencies on Twitter right now, even though they're things that make perfect sense if you would just pay attention.

Top Bottom