• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

SoilBreak

Banned
Star Wars now on Marvel Unlimited tho.
aJhhPQ1.png

Owzers

Finished Black Canaray and Zatanna: Bloodspell, loved it until the final act where
all the body hopping back and forth was kinda iffy for me. I didn't like when Dale tried to go towards Zatanna/Tina and she turned him into a toad, wasn't sure exactly what Dale was trying to do by jumping on her, .it wasn't a satisfying ending segment to a book i was really into. My favorite part was when Zatanna and Canary went shopping, it was light-hearted but had two great scenes in a row.

I didn't like how the rules kept expanding for soul jumping. Oh Tina can possess a tiger because any animal can be possessed at a risk and the tiger scratches Zatanna and Dale so now both can be inhabited too and Dale could doubly because they were intimate before. That's too much for me when you establish the rules for your magical hijinks and then it just seems to have anything justified in order to do what Dini wanted with the story.
Sooooooooooo i dunno. The art alone keeps the book at an 8 despite last act gripes, Random 8/10.

That art!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What the fuck at the Star Wars explosion on MU o_O Just checked the new this week tab and it says 526 issues lol

None of it is any of the new books tho right?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Got my IST order. The Geoff Darrow Shaolin Cowboy hardcover is Library Edition-sized just as I expected. Aww yes.

Kipp

Just flipped through a bit Shaolin Cowboy to see what I'm in for. Amazing stuff. Geoff Darrow is insane.
If you want some uber-detailed-zombie-death comics in a gorgeous hardcover for $10, Shaolin Cowboy is a no-brainer.

Also really excited for the Orion omnibus. Hopefully I'll get to read it sometime soon.
One of the reasons I'm really happy about Shaolin Cowboy is it should be a super quick read (AKA I'll actually read it).

besada

Banned
I beg you, Messi, don't start a Frank Cho thread.

On a completely different note, I finally finished watching Daredevil, which I now think of as Daredevil, Season Zero. I really enjoyed it. A couple of things here and there that I didn't love, but most of them got better as the season progressed, and I eagerly await next season.

I did a Top Ten re-read the other day. So much goodness, so many tiny things in the background to look at, not nearly enough issues.

Kipp

I did a Top Ten re-read the other day. So much goodness, so many tiny things in the background to look at, not nearly enough issues.

Oh, that reminds me. The TPB for that came out yesterday. Not sure if it was mentioned yet. I'll definitely pick it up eventually. I've heard many good things about it.
That also reminds me that I still haven't read many of the Alan Moore classics... Still haven't read Swamp Thing or V for Vendetta (even though I own V for Vendetta).

besada

Banned
Oh, that reminds me. The TPB for that came out yesterday. Not sure if it was mentioned yet. I'll definitely pick it up eventually. I've heard many good things about it.
That also reminds me that I still haven't read many of the Alan Moore classics... Still haven't read Swamp Thing or V for Vendetta (even though I own V for Vendetta).
I am so jealous of you folks that haven't read the great stuff. I'm down to the dregs, desperately hunting for some arc or series that I've never read that isn't lame, but instead reading nu52 Batman and Robin.

I need to do a re-read of Marshal Law, but I can't find some of my copies. Time to start calling friends and telling the, to return books.

God damn, you could set your watch by the monotonous omnipresent boring-ass rhythm of every single identical line of dialogue Mark Millar writes. Holy fuck, this guy.

I beg you, Messi, don't start a Frank Cho thread.

On a completely different note, I finally finished watching Daredevil, which I now think of as Daredevil, Season Zero. I really enjoyed it. A couple of things here and there that I didn't love, but most of them got better as the season progressed, and I eagerly await next season.

Lol, I don't think even Messi would make a thread about it. Frank Cho's fixation on that Spider-Woman cover is really strange and childish.

I still need to finish Daredevil, last one I watched was episode 3. I'm on vacation next week so I'll try to get through the rest of it then. In the meantime, I'm working through various Daredevil books. After I finish Bendis's run I think I'm just gonna run through Waid's run since I want something a little more optimistic after this and I got a free month of Marvel Unlimited.

ElNarez

Banned
Savage Wolverine 1 $3.99 Marvel 102,530
Spider-Gwen 1 $3.99 Marvel 254,074

Savage Wolverine 2 $3.99 Marvel 58,254
Spider-Gwen 2 $3.99 Marvel 107,070

Frank Cho can get stuffed in a shitty goddamn locker.

God damn, you could set your watch by the monotonous omnipresent boring-ass rhythm of every single identical line of dialogue Mark Millar writes. Holy fuck, this guy.
Yeah. Starlight was bland and predictable like sex in a loveless marriage. I knew what was coming, every thrust, every breath, every grunt and I was just lying there motionless, not caring.

So is everyone in the comic industry just like the hip hop industry in that everyone is constantly beefing with each other? Everyone is just fighting nowadays.

Is it bad that the first thing I noticed is that Spider Gwen had a higher percentage drop-off?

Does it matter when he can shit out movie options? He literally doesn't have to try and gets paid.

Messi

Frank Cho can get stuffed in a shitty goddamn locker.

How were Silks first two issues sales wise.

Got my IST order. The Geoff Darrow Shaolin Cowboy hardcover is Library Edition-sized just as I expected. Aww yes.

Nice, I'm curious what you think about it.
Art is great,, but the "story"....

But yeah that sounds awesome,, his art in a oversized book :)))

Zombine

Banned
Can I seriously ask what the fuck is happening to Rafael's art in American Vampire? It's not him. It's that fucking God awful color job that took it from one of the best looking books I've read to one of the worst. It needs to go away, and it's seriously ruined this arc.

American-Vampire-SC-04-02.png

This needs to go. There are still moments where he gets to shine, but all of his detail is muted by whatever the fuck this is. You should see some of Pearls faces now.

Can I seriously ask what the fuck is happening to Rafael's art in American Vampire? It's not him. It's that fucking God awful color job that took it from one of the best looking books I've read to one of the worst. It needs to go away, and it's seriously ruined this arc.

This needs to go. There are still moments where he gets to shine, but all of his detail is muted by whatever the fuck this is. You should see some of Pearls faces now.

Isn't it the same colorist? I looked at some early AV work and it looks the same to me.

Edit: I just looked it up, it's still Dave McCaig. He must be slippin.

Zombine

Banned
Isn't it the same colorist? I looked at some early AV work and it looks the same to me.

Edit: I just looked it up, it's still Dave McCaig. He must be slippin.

Yeah but look at some of the earlier work:

pearl2.jpg

What the hell has he done? There are still pages I love, like some of the spreads and whatnot, but the rest of each issue looks like it was done by a fill-in.

I used to talk to Messi about it months ago. It's a big enough change where I noticed the quality change immediately. It "looks" like American Vampire, but you can tell it's either rushed or not a single fuck is given.

Edit: he's also using darker yellows on their skin which looks weird.

AXIS: Bold As Fudge

Messi

Wow. Something has gone horribly wrong with that art/colour poor pearl :/. How does the uncolored art look Zombine? Is it up yet.

Zombine

Banned
Wow. Something has gone horribly wrong with that art/colour poor pearl :/. How does the uncolored art look Zombine? Is it up yet.

I'll definitely be up this week. I've seen past issues from Second Cycle, and I guess all the blame shouldn't fall on this guy I guess. Rafael now does this weird pencil smudge thing on his pens. It's really weird and they all look dirty.

All of his art on Second Cycle makes his faces look like they were working in a coal mine.

Messi

I'll definitely be up this week. I've seen past issues from Second Cycle, and I guess all the blame shouldn't fall on this guy I guess. Rafael now does this weird pencil smudge thing on his pens. It's really weird and they all look dirty.

All of his art on Second Cycle makes his faces look like they were working in a coal mine.

My window to get a nice Pearl page is gone :(

Ahhh shit.. Robbi Rodriguez is going to be at C2E2.. Helllls yes one of my favs
Im sooo fuckin hyped now, plus just found out I will have some decent cash to spend.

Yeah but look at some of the earlier work:

pearl2.jpg

What the hell has he done? There are still pages I love, like some of the spreads and whatnot, but the rest of each issue looks like it was done by a fill-in.

I used to talk to Messi about it months ago. It's a big enough change where I noticed the quality change immediately. It "looks" like American Vampire, but you can tell it's either rushed or not a single fuck is given.

Edit: he's also using darker yellows on their skin which looks weird.

I noticed in issues 1-4 of Second Cycle he's using a lot of variations of yellows for the background. Makes everything look a little pale and washed out.

His entire right arm is only barely attached to the rest of his body, and it's his fingers that are bugging you?

Comicsgaf has no priorities.

I can almost buy his shoulder being pushed that high up. Granted it is disconnected looking, but I mean his fingers are gripping tightly to NOTHING.

Fucking trace job of different limbs.

Top Bottom