• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Top of the page edit: Finally got my Convergence stuff for the month. 2 weeks of catchup. Got the main issues down; Surprising no one, I enjoyed them but I've also been digging the Earth 2: Worlds' End stuff as well, so.

white-kid-dance-club.gif

What happened?

Zombine

Banned
Just so Messi knows, there is an art to the tease. If you let it go on for too long you risk pissing people off with a shit announcement, and if it ends up being nothing to begin with, any future announcements may go ignored.

So basically you better be planning a flight to give Oliva Wilde flowers in person at her home.

Messi

Just so Messi knows, there is an art to the tease. If you let it go on for too long you risk pissing people off with a shit announcement, and if it ends up being nothing to begin with, any future announcements may go ignored.

So basically you better be planning a flight to give Oliva Wilde flowers in person at her home.

You have way over thought this. When I am on the bus I will post pics.

NYCrooner

Okay ComicGAF, I'm back in the comic business after about 20 yrs away. I've kept up on the movies and did read the Civil War and AvX story lines. However I'm pretty out of the loop otherwise. But watching the new Daredevil show gave me a crazy itch so I signed up for Marvel Unlimited (full year) this week. I have three questions:

1. Daredevil is my fav hero by a country mile. What storyline should I make sure to read? I hear his life is all fucked now, so I would love to read how it all fell apart.

2. Marvel Unlimited just added Star Wars comics. I have no idea where to start with those. Don't want to waste my time with filler. Where should I begin?

3. What major storylines ala Civil War or AvX should I get into? It's been 20 years so I'm sure some epic shit went down.

Please note that I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Superhumans over mutants. There are exceptions like Wolverine.

Anyway thanks guys. Looking forward to jumping back into the comicverse. Gonna have a lot of beach time this summer.

Okay ComicGAF, I'm back in the comic business after about 20 yrs away. I've kept up on the movies and did read the Civil War and AvX story lines. However I'm pretty out of the loop otherwise. But watching the new Daredevil show gave me a crazy itch so I signed up for Marvel Unlimited (full year) this week. I have three questions:

1. Daredevil is my fav hero by a country mile. What storyline should I make sure to read? I hear his life is all fucked now, so I would love to read how it all fell apart.

2. Marvel Unlimited just added Star Wars comics. I have no idea where to start with those. Don't want to waste my time with filler. Where should I begin?

3. What major storylines ala Civil War or AvX should I get into? It's been 20 years so I'm sure some epic shit went down.

Please note that I'm a MUCH bigger fan of Superhumans over mutants. There are exceptions like Wolverine.

Anyway thanks guys. Looking forward to jumping back into the comicverse. Gonna have a lot of beach time this summer.

For Daredevil, The Man Without Fear and Born Again are two great stories by Frank Miller. Bendis, Brubaker and Waid's runs are all great too.

For your second question, Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison's a nice short story which requires no prior reading that I'm especially fond of. The Old Republic and X-Wing collections are a lot of fun as well as the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire stories even if they are a bit dated and are obviously going to be cancelled out by the sequel trilogy.

Zombine

Banned

Events are awful, mainstream trash meant to suck in casuals for a minute that disrupt the flow of the books where actual shit goes down. They aren't important, and they rarely change shit. It's best to look for a character or team that you enjoy, and then we can pinpoint arcs that are wonderful (Thor "Godbomb", Planet Hulk, Superior Spiderman Ect.)

The Star Wars EU is all filler. It has a lot of highs and a lot more lows. Start with the new cannon and just read "Star Wars" "Darth Vader" "Princess Leia" and "Kanan: The Last Padiwan." You'll have to buy them on Comixology, but they won't set your wallet on Fire.

Tizoc

Transformers? Transformers.

The Transformers #40 is a bit boring though. Yes we get it, Prowl is evil and crazy. Get on with it.

Speaking of which and I hate to say this but can IDW PLEASE stop getting Livio Raomndelli to do the art? He has an interesting style but...it just doesn't fit all the time.
DAT MTMTE doe
MTMTE39_Nickel.jpg

Where my Nickel plushie at yo? This is the most adorable looking Decepticon ever <3
Also the Galactic Council and their adversary are gonna be another antagonist the crew will likely tussle with.

The writing in Elektra is so so. Its probably the weakest part. But the art just makes up for so much of it.

That first image is not even the full spread of Elektras murderous slaying

She is just stunning. I adore her. If I could have another waifu.
Yeah the art is amazing, im hoping to get something done by Michael Del Mundo at C2E2

Messi

Do you guys feel weird asking an artist to draw a character from their own book for a commission? Or is it more weird to ask an artist for some random character. I would love to get a Katchoo sketch from Terry Moore but I am sure he is sick to the teeth of drawing her.

Do you guys feel weird asking an artist to draw a character from their own book for a commission? Or is it more weird to ask an artist for some random character. I would love to get a Katchoo sketch from Terry Moore but I am sure he is sick to the teeth of drawing her.

Enjoy the look of disgust you're going to get.

Not weird. He does it all the time. You should ask him to draw katchoo as another character like Harley or catwoman. Sort of like that katchoo as power girl pic I showed you

Speaking of katchoo you should finish SiP. That is a comic that will easily get you back into comic reading goodness. It's so amazing.

Messi

Not weird. He does it all the time. You should ask him to draw katchoo as another character like Harley or catwoman. Sort of like that katchoo as power girl pic I showed you

Speaking of katchoo you should finish SiP. That is a comic that will easily get you back into comic reading goodness. It's so amazing.

I would do bad things for a Katchoo as Harley commission. But I will never meet him so :(

MattyG

Banned
Fuuuuuuck just placed an order for #1 2 and 4 of Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir for $4 each on MyComicShop before realizing the trade paperback was out and only $10. I can't even find #3 for less than $40. Rookie mistake.

Anyone know how easy it is to cancel an order from them? Their website gave me a number to call, but they're only open Monday through Friday and it says something about a 25% restocking fee if the order is past a certain point.

I understand but I don't think it should be weird either way, id think they Should appreciate having fans wanting their art in the first place no mater what character.

Like I want to ask all the artist I like If I have a chance and the funds to draw a batman sketch for me. I figured id tell them draw it how they want or see batman.
Michael Del Mundo batman would be awesome. Id love to see Robbi Rodriguez batman.
I plan on getting something done next weekend hopefully!

Starman #39-#40 + The Power of Shazaam #35-#36: That was an amazing (and funny) arc. If this is the normal characterization of Marvel, I need to track down some good individual runs of his.

What I am also starting to realise is that every event/cross-over/annual issue must make life real hard for the people working on the individual series. It completely breaks the flow. Individual issues need to accomodate for readers dropping in suddenly (with recaps) or for readers who don't buy the special issues (by ignoring major revelations in the annuals).

PsychBat!

Banned
Events are awful, mainstream trash meant to suck in casuals for a minute that disrupt the flow of the books where actual shit goes down. They aren't important, and they rarely change shit. It's best to look for a character or team that you enjoy, and then we can pinpoint arcs that are wonderful (Thor "Godbomb", Planet Hulk, Superior Spiderman Ect.)

The Star Wars EU is all filler. It has a lot of highs and a lot more lows. Start with the new cannon and just read "Star Wars" "Darth Vader" "Princess Leia" and "Kanan: The Last Padiwan." You'll have to buy them on Comixology, but they won't set your wallet on Fire.
I giggled when you said Superior Spider-Man. I miss him.

Tizoc

Starman #39-#40 + The Power of Shazaam #35-#36: That was an amazing (and funny) arc. If this is the normal characterization of Marvel, I need to track down some good individual runs of his.

What I am also starting to realise is that every event/cross-over/annual issue must make life real hard for the people working on the individual series. It completely breaks the flow. Individual issues need to accomodate for readers dropping in suddenly (with recaps) or for readers who don't buy the special issues (by ignoring major revelations in the annuals).
Ist have a captain marvel 75th ann. On sale atm if ur interested.

Bii

I understand but I don't think it should be weird either way, id think they Should appreciate having fans wanting their art in the first place no mater what character.

Like I want to ask all the artist I like If I have a chance and the funds to draw a batman sketch for me. I figured id tell them draw it how they want or see batman.
Michael Del Mundo batman would be awesome. Id love to see Robbi Rodriguez batman.
I plan on getting something done next weekend hopefully!

Yeah, it's not a big deal for artists to be commissioned to draw something they've worked on for years. Take a look at Don Rosa, he's still drawing Scrooge for fans after all of these years and he'd be happy to do so.

I'm hoping to knock down a few artists today and tomorrow to draw in my book. Will post pics after this weekend with what I got.

Brubaker's Catwoman run is essential Brubaker. If you like anything Brubaker, you will like that book.

i'M GONNa have to stop you right the fuck there, and tell you this
Go read Ed Brubaker & Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman run.
I don't care if you still dislike the character afterwards, but read it as they did some excellent stories featuring the character
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/CATWOMAN-TP-VOL-01/OCT110246

Start there, go read some good comics kiddo.

I miss JC, he was the only other dude who appreciated same comics as me. *Sigh*

Peer pressure and feelings of inadequacy have elevated me from a "take your word for it" to a "maybe I'll check it out. Maybe."

Owzers

Secret Wars is going to be the event that turns it all around.

Remembered that i had to get around to reading Hickman's Pretty Decent 4.

Man, Franklin's birthday ish hit me right in the feels. When Val sez happy bday tard, emotions were felt.

Also

then two ishs later they discover a lost kingdom of atlantis and Sue goes all herpaderp and decides to tell namor about it. Welp. It's only 3 fish-guys declaring themselves kings of his turf. What could go wrong.

More floppies should have epilogues.
---

wait... the heck are da vinci and michelangelo doing in that pic. God damn, hickman.

Ike Perlmutter is actually Gil? EVERYTHING MARVEL DOES MAKES SENSE NOW!

"How many Avengers books can I put ya down for? A lot? Please say a lot, I need this."

"You're young, you're successful, you're naked and you want a comic with the Guardians of the Galaxy! You kids like music, don't cha? OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA!"

"Oh this is bad, this is really bad, you work and you salve and you cancel Fantastic Four all for a lick of that shiny movie money. Don't I get a lick, DOESN'T IKE GET A LICK?"

And so on.

Zombine

Banned
More bullshit:

61611.jpg

This may have been mandated, so I am not sure who is to blame here.

Edit: lol they even made the electric effect grey which makes zero fucking sense.

Fair enough~
Enjoy your books as that's all that matters =D

My stack of trades and collected editions is large.

Hellboy Library Editions Volume 5 and 6 (I'm halfway through 5)
Inhumanity (Over halfway through that)
Daredevil Ultimate Collection Volume 2
Ms. Marvel Volume 2
New 52 The Flash Volume 1
New 52 Earth 2 Volume 1
Fables Volume 9
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 3 (The big hardcover edition)
Astonishing X-Men Volume 2
Superior Spider-Man Volume 6
New 52 Justice League Dark Volume 5

Top Bottom