• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

My stack of trades and collected editions is large.

Hellboy Library Editions Volume 5 and 6 (I'm halfway through 5)
Inhumanity (Over halfway through that)
Daredevil Ultimate Collection Volume 2
Ms. Marvel Volume 2
New 52 The Flash Volume 1
New 52 Earth 2 Volume 1
Fables Volume 9
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 3 (The big hardcover edition)
Astonishing X-Men Volume 2
Superior Spider-Man Volume 6
New 52 Justice League Dark Volume 5
I don't know if I should be proud or sad that my backlog is probably twice as big, if not more...

Cade

It's ALL fucked up like Flex.

killingjoke.jpg

Bolland removed all of the character and acid trip-like visuals from the original for a more muted color scheme. It's beyond tragic.

Haha, what the FUCK. I knew it was a bad recolor, but this is garbage. What the hell.

Zombine

Banned
Haha, what the FUCK. I knew it was a bad recolor, but this is garbage. What the hell.

And it was done by the man himself. Flex has a garbage recoloring, but I've heard that it was a DC thing and they wanted to keep the Grimdark look going after The Dark Knight.

Daredevil (1963) #1, in which our fearless hero learns that rolling on a large garbage barrel is faster than walking...or something.

MclEwgd.jpg

------

Daredevil (1963) #2, in which our blind hero teaches himself to fly a space ship, and lands it harmlessly in Central Park. No casualties on his watch!

oaK4oCF.jpg

Some recoloring jobs on older comics can ruin them. I don't have a high opinion of The Killing Joke as a story (in fact, I think it sucks and so does Moore himself!), but the art in it is amazing. Bolland apparently disliked the original coloring quite a bit which is why he colored it himself.

Miracleman's recoloring is pretty good for the most part.

In Daredevil (1963) #3, our hero creates the aerodynamic Suit Ball™. The Suit Ball™ will prove to be the hot fashion trend of 1963, allowing white collar workers to travel from place to place at high speeds while bouncing their suit along their side. Upon arrival, they merely have to unroll their suit and voila! Wrinkle free attire that meets even the strictest of dress codes.

Because suits bounce.

g6BUJ9U.jpg

Daredevil (1963) #1, in which our fearless hero learns that rolling on a large garbage barrel is faster than walking...or something.

MclEwgd.jpg

------

Daredevil (1963) #2, in which our blind hero teaches himself to fly a space ship, and lands it harmlessly in Central Park. No casualties on his watch!

oaK4oCF.jpg

In Daredevil (1963) #3, our hero creates the aerodynamic Suit Ball™. The Suit Ball™ will prove to be the hot fashion trend of 1963, allowing white collar workers to travel from place to place at high speeds while bouncing their suit along their side. Upon arrival, they merely have to unroll their suit and voila! Wrinkle free attire that meets even the strictest of dress codes.

Because suits bounce.

g6BUJ9U.jpg

Classic Marvel is best Marvel.

frye

I don't think the Flex recolour is totally unsuccessful, at least not in the same way Bolland's Killing Joke is. There are things that do work better (Flex is in many ways a more melancholic comic than the original colours get across, I think) but yeah Mentallium Man recolour: not good.

Also, the choice to recolour was not a DC thing but a Quitely -- and maybe even a Morrison -- thing. He's said he wasn't particularly fond of the originals.

Daredevil (1963) #7 is ace. Just ace. We finally get Daredevil's iconic red costume. Daredevil makes some serious modifications to his cane, adding smoke screen pellets into the mix. He also develops a grappling hook, allowing Daredevil to be Spider-Man. That building two blocks away? No worries, Matt Murdock's background as a fly-casting fisherman has prepped him for everything.

mTCQacI.jpg

Oh, and he fights Namor. But this version of Namor is stupid and invincible. Like Hulk crashing through concrete walls invincible. He flies using ankle wings and can lift up and toss Army tanks like they are matchbox cars. Nothing a construction wrecking ball can't handle. WHOOMF, indeed!

2GhonO6.jpg

Only Namor gets back up and kicks Daredevil's ass. Because he's stronger than a Superman and Sentry love child. He's basically Aquaman except that he doesn't suck.

Zombine

Banned
So, who did the art for Mighty Avengers during the Inhumanity event? Because whoever it was loves them some fucking troll faces on characters.

Truly a travesty

LAND

I can't understand Land mouths. They all have a full mouth of veneers and none of his characters are able to close them.

tim1138

Some recoloring jobs on older comics can ruin them. I don't have a high opinion of The Killing Joke as a story (in fact, I think it sucks and so does Moore himself!), but the art in it is amazing. Bolland apparently disliked the original coloring quite a bit which is why he colored it himself.

I think Killing Joke is Moore's worst story for DC. The Joker/Gordon family stuff is completely gross and I hate how that book influenced the tone of the Batman line. Outside of Swamp Thing, my favorite Moore DC work are his Tales of the Green Lantern Corps stories. Killing Joke is just horribly overrated.

Owzers

I went to a craftstore and bought four kinds of fleshy colored paint, now i'm holding all four up to my wonder woman statue. The time is coming for me to take action. At the very least it will give me more things to add on the ebay auction description when i give up in a week and sell it. " I painted the sword and some of the forehead and the ear....just buy it"

Tizoc

Have you read Moore's Supreme series? Great throwback to Superman comics from the 30s onwards.

Also, whomever decided that Doombot should be an Avenger was a good idea machine.

Fuck I forgot what series that was, was it Secret Avengers?

My personal avenger team:

Pizza Dog
Squirrel Girl
Fool Killer
Jarvis
Alpha
Frog Man
Greg Land

I think that Greg Land's membership makes it automatically a Thunderbolts (or whatever the name was of that thing Osborne put together that one time) team.

Because he's a villain.

See.

Top Bottom