• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Looking at the Top 300 sales chart for July, it looks like a lot of decent Marvel titles are slipping into that cancellation range.

81) FF #9 - 29,181
86) Young Avengers #6 - 28,596
88) Young Avengers #7 - 27,844
92) FF #10 - 27,304
94) Avengers Assemble #17 - 26,640
104) Avengers Arena #12 - 23,969
106) X-Men Legacy #13 - 23,146
109) Scarlet Spider #19 - 22,499
113) X-Men Legacy #14 - 22,119
121) Venom #37 - 20,872
125) Venom #38 - 20,325
135) Captain Marvel #14 - 19,320

I don't follow cancellation news super closely, so one or two of these may already be axed. Even if they aren't, I can't imagine the second half of that list lasting very long.

I wonder how how much these mid-low tier books have been hurt by Marvel's double shipping.

dhusband

Neo Member
I think both Avengers Arena and Young Avengers are slated for relaunches, so at least those two are safe for the near future. I'm a little shocked Captain Marvel hasn't been cancelled yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think both Avengers Arena and Young Avengers are slated for relaunches, so at least those two are safe for the near future. I'm a little shocked Captain Marvel hasn't been cancelled yet.

Story-wise it's been fairly solid. It deserves to be selling much better than it currently is. As far as Venom goes they just shook up the story big time so it should be safe for a while.

Captain Marvel seems to have earned Marvel a lot of good PR, so I don't think it will be cancelled.

Call me crazy, but I think Young Avengers and Avengers Arena could be rolled into one book. That "Afterparty" arc that Gillen is planning in YA is just too obvious a set-up to capture a large number of kids at once.

frye

#1 is out in October but yeah, idk if I can "recommend" it without reservation considering I've never even heard of the writer. It's gonna look hella good though.

all star hate??

funny-gif-Jim-Carrey-face.gif

Few things.

Any of ComicGAF want to share their Twitter handles? Mine is xCandNx

Also anyone want to play some matches in Injustice on PS3? My name there is KoruptData. I play with Deathstroke and Batman.

86) Young Avengers #6 - 28,596
88) Young Avengers #7 - 27,844
104) Avengers Arena #12 - 23,969

Young Avengers wasn't good enough to read past the first two issues, so I can understand that. Avengers Arena, however, is really good stuff. Hopeless is doing work.

X-Men solicits 2013

CHRIS CLAREMONT is joined by classic X-Artist BOB MCLEOD to bring you an untold story of the X-Men starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty Pryde and Rogue!

This can't possibly be any good, but I will keep hope alive anyway.

also, KID GLADIATOR RETURNS

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I am reading batgirl and wonder woman. Both have been good.

Wonder Woman was ok but I fell off about 6 issues back or so. I dig the gods stuff but the main story was really going nowhere fast, it seemed very cyclical and repetitive, I always had the feeling that I'd read an issue before. Nice art whenever Chiang was on though, he's great.

I read one issue of Batgirl and it was so run of the mill that I remember nothing about it other than how annoyed I was that they undid Oracle for THIS. Maybe it's gotten better. You could not convince me to part with money for it though.

If Batman Annual #2 is any indication, then Batman itself is mediocre. I picked it up because someone here said it featured an interesting (or some similar adjective) female villain. The book was ok, but nothing I'd pull. The villain repeated the same dialogue over and over again. Are Batman readers big forgetful stoners or something?

kswiston

They compacted Batman's timeline, he's been Batman for like 5 or 6 years now.

Considering the hints to Bruce being 19 or so in the back up stories taking place just prior to Zero Year, current Bruce Wayne must be in his mid-20s (I would guess 25-27). In that time he fathered a 10 year old, trained 3 Robins, and became an expert at all fields of human endeavor. How do you compare GAF? :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Considering the hints to Bruce being 19 or so in the back up stories taking place just prior to Zero Year, current Bruce Wayne must be in his mid-20s (I would guess 25-27). In that time he fathered a 10 year old, trained 3 Robins, and became an expert at all fields of human endeavors. How do you compare GAF? :p

Man, you could stretch out that timeline and we'd all still suck in comparison :lol

diaspora

Superior Spider-Man is just so bad that at this point they might as well being back the
Osborn fucking and impregnating Gwen Stacy
story back to make it truly shit wall-to-wall.

Owzers

X-Men solicits 2013

CHRIS CLAREMONT is joined by classic X-Artist BOB MCLEOD to bring you an untold story of the X-Men starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty Pryde and Rogue!

This can't possibly be any good, but I will keep hope alive anyway.

also, KID GLADIATOR RETURNS

i was about to get annoyed but it looks like hte page counts for WATXM and WATXM annual were flipped, a 32 page annual at 4.99 would be....rageful.

If Batman Annual #2 is any indication, then Batman itself is mediocre. I picked it up because someone here said it featured an interesting (or some similar adjective) female villain. The book was ok, but nothing I'd pull. The villain repeated the same dialogue over and over again. Are Batman readers big forgetful stoners or something?

Batman is DCs best book. Annual was written by one o syders apprentices

Batman is DCs best book. Annual was written by one o syders apprentices

Yeah, I know the annual was written by someone else. Still, it would be fair to assume it kept with the standard quality of the monthly series seeing as it's an annual and 5 dollars to boot. And Snyder did have a hand in it. People here seemed to think it was great. It was ok, but it makes me think that people here like Batman the way that I like Batwoman. I like her because she's just really cool and her book would have to be kind of terrible for me to give up on it.

Talking to GrandHarrier on twitter. He will be back in 2 days in which he will post "Threads/promises of IN DEPTH LEGION ANALYSIS/COMPLAINTS, perhaps."

Get ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom