• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

Yes, it is a vast difference in quality. Whedon is ass and Claremont's 80's X-Men are the greatest comics ever written.

Can't say I agree with you.

I find Claremont's writing entirely too verbose.

Its like he wont trust the art to tell the story and has to explain every little thing.

Also Whedon is ass, really?

arkon

It also gives you the feels...the feels man....
Rewind ;.;

Oh god... :(

edit:

Is it normal for me to have a hard time recognizing characters in More Than Meets The Eye at first? I've never ally been a Transformers fan until now.

I had similar problems at the start and I was in a similar position to you, having not been into TF that much beyond vague recollections of the old cartoons and one or two toys I might have had in my childhood. You get used to it though. I just started recognizing some key physical characteristics after a while e.g. Chromedome having those huge wheels on his shoulder pads. Helps you to differentiate them

Blader

Morrison's New X-Men is the best ever run for that franchise.

The Claremont/Byrne years are landmark stuff but the writing hasn't aged well at all. Morrison's is just as powerful, if not more so, and reads a lot better.

Splatt

Daniel Way is an awful awful writer. I dont know how brqhs like that get into the industry.

Wish I knew. I'd be a superstar writer by now, writing the next Marvel crossover that would change everything forever :(

Will give his run a read and see if I like it.

It's better than Way's stuff, but, unfortunately, Soule is still clearing up his mess.

It also gives you the feels...the feels man....
Rewind ;.;

Aw man, why :(

Tizoc

Is it normal for me to have a hard time recognizing characters in More Than Meets The Eye at first? I've never ally been a Transformers fan until now.

I had that at first too, especially with Brainstorm and Chromedome, but I managed to distinguish each character in the end.

Morrison's New X-Men is the best ever run for that franchise.

The Claremont/Byrne years are landmark stuff but the writing hasn't aged well at all. Morrison's is just as powerful, if not more so, and reads a lot better.

Aussie X-Men was the best thing ever. I worship Morrison but #TRUTHFACT

ReiGun

It's not fair that Grant has the definitive Batman, Superman, and X-Men stories.
I'm probably missing some
Doom Patrol and Animal Man need to be in there.

We'll see how this Wonder Woman thing shakes out. Morrison himself admits he head trouble with the character, and all his sex talk has me a little on edge.

It's not fair that Grant has the definitive Batman, Superman, and X-Men stories.
I'm probably missing some

That doesn't seem right, he has the (modern) definitive run to a few of those but to completely dismiss Dennis O'Neil, Chris Claremont and other writers doesn't make sense.

Dysun

That doesn't seem right, he has the (modern) definitive run to a few of those but to completely dismiss Dennis O'Neil, Chris Claremont and other writers doesn't make sense.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Chris Claremont fan, and he literally defined what the X-Men are about. Subjective opinions are always open to be disagreed with, but his X-Men books haven't aged all that well. You said it yourself, they may be the modern definitive version, and that's enough for me.

kswiston

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge Chris Claremont fan, and he literally defined what the X-Men are about. Subjective opinions are always open to be disagreed with, but his X-Men books haven't aged all that well. You said it yourself, they may be the modern definitive version, and that's enough for me.

Sort of like Miller's Daredevil, Claremont X-Men is one of those runs that subsequent writers have never really escaped from.

Except here's how it really is:

Claremont's X-Men is legend and unassailable, until it stops being so after the Jim Lee era and, as the poet once wrote, the world moved on.

New X-Men is indeed the definitive X-Men story.

Astonishing X-Men is the best thing Whedon has ever written, across any medium.

Except here's how it really is:

Claremont's X-Men is legend and unassailable, until it stops being so after the Jim Lee era and, as the poet once wrote, the world moved on.

New X-Men is indeed the definitive X-Men story.

Astonishing X-Men is the best thing Whedon has ever written, across any medium.

Basically the Holy Trinity of X-men writers right here.

That didn't stop him from doing the X-Men

Maybe+she+misses+her+old+glasses....jpg

Well Grant did say he didn't think Wonder Woman was interesting and he's doing a story on her now so who knows. But then there's this.

A proposed graphic novel in the wake of the success of Arkham Asylum, with art by Simon Bisley. Morrison expressed a desire to return to the Ditko Spider-Man. "It's not Spider-Man in Arkham Asylum or anything - it's action all the way with things blowing up from page one but it still won't be a great deal like the Spider-Man that everyone is used to"

According to the webchat Morrison gave at Next Planet Over in 1999, the story was to begin with an attack by Mysterio, resulting in Spider-Man waking in a parallel world where Aunt May died and Peter never married.

"The Spider-Man of that world is a creepy, skinny Ditko guy, who lives on his own and is shunned by the neighbors." said Morrison, "He only comes alive when he's out on the rooftops leaping about and squirting jets of white stuff over everything. Freud would have loved the story as the creepy but ultimately decent Spider-Man meets his counterpart from a place where Peter married a supermodel and made lots of money. The story was based around that tension and the ultimate redemption of the creepy Ditko character. I'd do something different now."

Mark Millar later suggested that Morrison had also completed scripts for a Spider-Man mini-series to be drawn by his Batman: Gothic collaborator Klaus Janson. Most likely the two stories are variations on the same themes above. Neither the mini-series or the graphic novel ever saw print.

Interviewed about his time at Marvel many years later, Morrison expressed little enthusiasm for tackling Spider-Man, believing that Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Buscehe had set the bar for the character so high on the original run that any take on the character would by necessity be in their shadow and largely redundant. He instead preferred to take Lee's 'teenage outsider' template and apply it to revamps of lesser characters like Marvel Boy and supporting players in his X-Men run. Spider-Man remains probably the most significant Big Two super-hero that Morrison hasn't written, with the character not even managing a cameo appearance in any of Morrison's Marvel scripts.

kswiston

A few days ago, a friend let me know that The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 were available on Norway Netflix. Thanks to Unblock-us and Netflix's generous travelling subscription, I was able to watch both parts last night.

DKR was pretty much a page by page adaptation of the comic book, even moreso than some of the other DC Animated films I have seen. The action scenes were done well, and I'm glad they included all of the random TV news clips. However, while I can understand why they were omitted, Batman's first person narration really enhanced the original story.

I'm surprised they kept the 1980's Reagan-era America setting. Gordon even mentioned serving in Pearl Harbor. I was definitely expecting a V of Vendetta style modernization.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Aaron getting up there tho

He's already there for me. Most enjoyment I've had out of the X-books since Claremont era, and Jim Lee era, and of course all the Cosmic X-Men shit going down. Just good times all round, plenty o action, new characters actually worth a damn developed further, fun art.

I enjoyed New X-Men as a story, but the art got in my way of total unfiltered enjoyment. I am sorry rabid MORRISON RUN IS BEST RUN'rs. I am so sorry.

frye

yo, I'd rather read Grant Morrison X-Men comics than Chris Claremont ones but Claremont on X-Men is like the definition of definitive.

However, while I can understand why they were omitted, Batman's first person narration really enhanced the original story.

Miller's monologues sound great when you're reading them but kinda dumb when people are actually acting it out most of the time.

Bryan Cranston as Gordon was dope in the Year One movie though, but I think it had a lot to do with prior voice acting experience.

dan2026

Damn I just realised that Claremont wrote the X-men for about 16 years continuously!

That's insane when you think about it.

Then he came back and wrote it again!

The dude has been writing X-men for a lifetime.

SRG01

SpOck as a character points out the criticisms of the stereotypical hero of a perpetual superhero comic. But all the 'significant' things he's doing are just leading him back to the stereotypical villain (he's got henchmen and a lair and officials in his pocket) of a perpetual superhero comic.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what they're going for. As in, is he really a superhero or a supervillain?

edit: Also, those Infinity #2 panels are EXCELLENT.

I hope the rest of Snyder's proteges dont get any steady gigs with DC. They all seem to write from the same creative writing text book. We don't need anymore writers, we need storytellers.

So I stopped by the comic shop today because I forgot to grab WatXM #34 on Wednesday. I alao grabbed the last copy of Collider, basically on a whim. It's actually a really solid book. I'm in for a few more issues at least. DC will probably cancel it by then.

Looking for a good self-contained run. Of pretty much anything.

Suggestions?

Nextwave Agents of Hate :O

Yeah, this.

I'd also suggest Butcher Baker if you're in the mood for something a bit different.

hamchan

Having just read over a hundred issues of Chris Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men over the last couple of months, I have to say they are still quality books.

Sure the writing might be a bit clunky and over descriptive but the character development is pretty top notch. I really like how much foreshadowing he puts into the plot.

I'm pretty annoyed that Marvel Unlimited still doesn't have his complete run uploaded yet.

tim1138

I hope the rest of Snyder's proteges dont get any steady gigs with DC. They all seem to write from the same creative writing text book. We don't need anymore writers, we need storytellers.

Pretty sure he teaches writing at Sarah Lawrence or NYU, so you're probably not too far off with that assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom