• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Goddamn why is the Turtles comic so freaking awesome but the movie so freaking awful.

And one will make millions more dollars than the other.
There is no justice in the world.

Probably because the new film was largely inspired by the new comic book.

If I had to guess.

Parch

This is why I hate DC's themed months
Suicide Squad ends on a cliffhanger join us next month as we skip 5 years into the future?
Nothing new. That's the way it's been for decades. A writer is on a good roll and the title gets completely derailed by some stupid event, crossover, or themed gimmick. That's the hazard of committing to most DC/Marvel ongoings.

Messi

Nothing new. That's the way it's been for decades. A writer is on a good roll and the title gets completely derailed by some stupid event, crossover, or themed gimmick. That's the hazard of committing to most DC/Marvel ongoings.

Suicide Squad is not this.

Yuck, no thank you.

NFlucCD.jpg

well not completely based off the movie like I thought, it's still kinda scary looking

dan2026

Its also worth noting that there are a series of hero/villain one shots for the Turtles book.

They all tie in to the main series and provide a lot of background for the characters.

well not completely based off the movie like I thought, it's still kinda scary looking
That still looks better than the movie designs.

dan2026

Annoyingly the IDW TMNT trades only collect 4 issues each.
Which seems kinda crappy to me.

Personally I'm reading them digitally and waiting on some sort of larger collection.

Sanjuro

Annoyingly the IDW TMNT trades only collect 4 issues each.
Which seems kinda crappy to me.

Personally I'm reading them digitally and waiting on some sort of larger collection.

That is pretty much the standard for all trades.

Unless there is a major story arc, or a larger collected book. Both of those are normally years down the road.

That is pretty much the standard for all trades.

Unless there is a major story arc, or a larger collected book. Both of those are normally years down the road.

Only IDW trades really. Most other standard trades are 5 or 6 issues. It's why I'm waiting for the Transformers IDW Collection Phase Two to start getting physical copies of MTMTE and RID.

IDW trades are also like 18 bucks for four issue trades. it's not a great value at cover price, but then again who pays cover these days anyway

Messi

NFlucCD.jpg

The new cover and the volume title are kind of fitting lol

I read the Northampton issues and really enjoyed them. Loved the art. When does that artist take over?

Batgirls final Gail Simone issue was decent hampered by dreadful art by fernando pasarin. Every single female character in this issues looks identical. The series has had this problem since the second he took over.
Its a big issue here considering the big sendoff Gail is trying to deliver using loads of female characters.

Sad to see Gail go (Granted I am super hyped for the new team #TeamBabs) but I am not sad to see fernando pasarin go.

Sanjuro

Only IDW trades really. Most other standard trades are 5 or 6 issues. It's why I'm waiting for the Transformers IDW Collection Phase Two to start getting physical copies of MTMTE and RID.

I don't believe so. I've seen recent Batman trades collecting about four issues or so. Walking Dead I think is usually 4-6 as well.

Again, I don't really purchase books any longer.

Sanjuro

IDW trades are also like 18 bucks for four issue trades. it's not a great value at cover price, but then again who pays cover these days anyway

Unless you score a lucky bundle on the issues, the individual comic books have retained their value pretty well.

It's the cheapest option available if you're looking to do a physical collection.

Spidey 2099 was awesome today. Peter David knows how to make the dialogue both funny and interesting. If you want to read a Spider-Man book, this is the one to follow.

But you should still read New Warriors

Messi

I don't believe so. I've seen recent Batman trades collecting about four issues or so. Walking Dead I think is usually 4-6 as well.

Again, I don't really purchase books any longer.

Court of Owls 7 issues
City of Owls : 6 issues
Death of the family: 5 issues
Zero Year Secret City: 4 issues
Zero Year Dark City: 8 issues

So, good value in my eyes.

Sanjuro

Court of Owls 7 issues
City of Owls : 6 issues
Death of the family: 5 issues
Zero Year Secret City: 4 issues

Yeah, four issues for the Zero Year.

Value is subjective anyway. DC comic books are far more common and easier to obtain.

This hasn't released yet, is this confirmed? Would be nice to have the whole story in two hardcovers.

Also, one of those four Zero Year issues was 64 pages, plus they all had back-ups. Not the same thing really.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for crazy supergenius science and Hulk (I am) but I really liked Duggan's first Hulk comic. Any potential fears over the changeover are alleviated.

It also doesn't hurt that he's making an effort to deal with the Hulk-splosion of the last five years. Or, at the very least, address it because it seemed like at the time nobody really seemed to notice.

Seriously, there's too many hulks running around right now. By all rights, the earth should just split in half and give up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, its annoying how Marvel keeps pumping out the same character again and again. Wolverine and Hulks are especially worse in this regard.

I really have lost track how many younger/female/evil/children versions of those two are around.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah, its annoying how Marvel keeps pumping out the same character again and again. Wolverine and Hulks are especially worse in this regard.

I really have lost track how many younger/female/evil/children versions of those two are around.

RIP Daken.

Messi

This hasn't released yet, is this confirmed? Would be nice to have the whole story in two hardcovers.

Also, one of those four Zero Year issues was 64 pages, plus they all had back-ups. Not the same thing really.

Amazon also has a listing for what I assume is Zero Year all in one HC. On the same day as the 2nd volume.

tim1138

How many Spider people are there now in the 616? Man, Woman, Girl, Scarlet, 2099, that psychic lady, am I missing any?

Yeah, its annoying how Marvel keeps pumping out the sams character again and again. Wolverine and Hulks are especially worse in this regard.

I like She-Hulk and she has a good solid role in the universe, but the rest of them really need to go.

And not just because having the extra hulks is bad, but because they're all people closest to Banner. And when all his closest associates are invulnerable super monsters, it ruins the few connections Banner has with the real world and makes the whole situation less relatable. Also, it gets rid of the tension because who cares if Rick Jones is in danger when he can just turn into a blue tank and punch the threat to Jupiter? It's the main reason Hulk comics after the hulkening sucked until Waid... and Waid "solved" the problem by completely dodging it and giving Banner new squishy people to care about.

It's like if Aunt May, Mary Jane, and J. Jonah Jameson all became Spider-people and went off on their own adventures.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How many Spider people are there now in the 616? Man, Woman, Girl, Scarlet, 2099, that psychic lady, am I missing any?
Yeah, Spider-Family is awful overflooded, too. You forgot Kaine and Venom and Spock and I wouldnt wonder, when there were a lot more after Spider-Verse.

My LCS is awesome. They actually had a copy of this!

ad5b024128a0f1b0e3efb010.L.jpg

Of course I picked it up

Spidey 2099 was awesome today. Peter David knows how to make the dialogue both funny and interesting. If you want to read a Spider-Man book, this is the one to follow.

But you should still read New Warriors

I like David and his writing in the first issue, but i just couldn't handle the art. Flipped through it again today, and... nope

Messi

They should close the ultimates then, because the reboot has been one large turd.

Bendis corrected this way back when he released Spider-Men they were officialy out of ideas, when they would brimg back Ultimate Peter Parker...

Is that why his first story in the new Miles book is dealing with this?

Bendis corrected this way back when he released Spider-Men they were officialy out of ideas, when they would brimg back Ultimate Peter Parker...

m-bison-says-yes-o.gif

I'm just teasin' of course. It's hours yet before I get my comics and I need a distraction.

So here is the first appearance of Beast Boy.

OSXEH38.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I told you guys they had to actually give Soule enough time to come up with a story for Inhumans. The first issue was written by Kelly Sue and pitched by Fraction.

I am not against the idea of Silk. Its been fun thus far in my opinion.

I dunno, the whole weird sudden romance thing ("The Spidey sense made me do it!") just really felt weird.

I liked her until that.

Well, except for the fact that her outfit doesn't quite make sense. I mean, spider webbing has around the same tensile strength as steel (and is way tougher), so if she was making herself a costume out of it to go fight bad guys, I really can't see the rationale for her leaving big gaping patches of bare skin all over the place. I mean, it's no Kevlar, but it's not exactly tissue paper either. I mean, yeah, comics and shit, but it still took me out of the book for a bit.

Drayco21

Spider-Man
Spider-Girl (Anya)
Spider-Girl/Venom (Mayday, Earth X via Uncanny Avengers)
Spider-Man 2099
Scarlet Spider
Madame Webb
Silk
Agent Venom and Mania (If the other symbiotes count, Toxin, Scorn and Carnage too)
Ai Apaec
Patrick, the only surviving member of the Initiatives Scarlet Spiders.
Superior Spider-Man (Granted, he's currently floating between realities)
Spider Woman since apparently Slott decided she counts now.
And Miles Morales is coming to Earth-616 for a crossover soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom