• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So gang, what's everyone been reading this weekend?

Been catching up on TMNT (City Fall) and Uncanny Avengers (Avenge the Earth) and I'm loving both of them.

@Cheska: I wish you asked last month... I did a giveaway for the first 6 or 7 issues! I only have the codes for the last two I think

Been catching up on TMNT (City Fall) and Uncanny Avengers (Avenge the Earth) and I'm loving both of them.

@Cheska: I wish you asked last month... I did a giveaway for the first 6 or 7 issues! I only have the codes for the last two I think

Been reading Hellboy: Seed of Destruction. (My first Hellboy comic). I have no idea why I waited this long to read one, it is brilliant.

Ugh.

Thankfully, Disney has been pretty good so far about keeping their properties separate. Sure, some Marvel characters are starting to bleed into Disney's Infinity video game, but that doesn't bother me. Those two fit well together anyway. When Mickey Mouse starts popping up in Avengers, I'm out.

I mostly agree. I would just love to see Luke meet up with Cap at some point. I think that would be a lot of fun to read.

I'd love to see them greate an OGN or elseworld tale that completes Patton Oswalts Parks and Recs filibuster plot. Star Wars vs thanos must happen. it MUST

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBhNkywMJY

This would probably be more fun to read.

They mentioned Disney World in New Warriors and it was pretty funny

This is what I'm expecting. A ton of little nods and references without going overboard. A wookie showing up in the background of a GOTG issue, a Nova officer walking through Coruscant in some issue, stuff like that. At least, I hope.

I have been reading Nova, I've gotten through issue 6. Darn good series.

Also read Thor: God of Thunder: Godbomb - Damn good. So awesome and fun to read. I absolutely loved the villain and the way the story came together. One of the best pair of TPBs I've ever read and really made me fall in love with the character of Thor. Never been a huge fan of his but how can I not after reading something like this?

Rocket Raccoon 1 & 2 were fun with a ton of little references that were awesome. Star Lord wasn't quite as good but the first two issues were enough to keep me going.

My gf read Batman New 52 Vol. 3 and liked it. Wouldn't tell me much about it because I'll be reading it soon. But she did say it was better than the second book, which neither of us liked as much as the first. She also read Wonder Woman New 52 Vol. 2. Liked it but not as much as the first one apparently.

Owzers

I started reading Darwyn Cooke's The Spirit volume 1 as my next trade to get through out of my backlog. So far it's very good, i like Cooke's art and the stories are charming.

So, basically my favorite comics are Brubaker & Philips crime novels, and I'm ok with that. I want to buy Criminal because I know without a doubt I will enjoy it, but the releases are a clusterfuck at best. I have no idea how to actually purchase the series.
Please tell me you've read Sleeper. It's a must read for Brubaker/Phillips fans.

Just buy the deluxe edition volumes for criminal. There's 2 of them

So, basically my favorite comics are Brubaker & Philips crime novels, and I'm ok with that. I want to buy Criminal because I know without a doubt I will enjoy it, but the releases are a clusterfuck at best. I have no idea how to actually purchase the series.

You want these two right here, although Image might release their own Deluxe Hardcovers down the line.

Fdwf5TVl.jpg

Zombine

Banned
You want these two right here, although Image might release their own Deluxe Hardcovers down the line.

Fdwf5TVl.jpg

Thanks! I was totally confused. I could only locate Book 1 at first.

And see, I'm new to Brubaker crime novels. I was first introduced to them with Velvet which is my favorite book, seeing as how it has a lot in common with the Bond novels. Now I'm reading Fatale and I can't stop. It clicked with me that I LOVE pulp crime comics and I need more.

Thanks! I was totally confused. I could only locate Book 1 at first.

And see, I'm new to Brubaker crime novels. I was first introduced to them with Velvet which is my favorite book, seeing as how it has a lot in common with the Bond novels. Now I'm reading Fatale and I can't stop. It clicked with me that I LOVE pulp crime comics and I need more.

You need sleeper volume one and two. It's a mix of supervillians, spies and pulp crime. One of the earlier Brubaker/Phillip collaborations. There's an even added bonus if you're familiar with the wildstorm universe but it's not essential to enjoying the series.

You need sleeper volume one and two. It's a mix of supervillians, spies and pulp crime. One of the earlier Brubaker/Phillip collaborations. There's an even added bonus if you're familiar with the windstorm universe but it's not essential to enjoying the series.

I keep eyeing that Sleeper Omnibus every time I'm making a IST order, I need to get on it soon.

Anybody know if Scene O/T Crime is a good read?

It took me reading a whole volume of a manga on cmx to realize it's meant to be read on an ipad portrait style. I always read comics landscape with smart panel. It reads much better now that I know!

And it's like getting manga omnibus sized! Digital is the way to go for manga.

My love for Velvet and Lovecraft drove me to the Fatale sale on Comixology, and I realized that it's not a love of just Velvet, but all of the Brubaker/Philips books and now I want them all.

Fatale was Brubaker & Philips trying something new. Their strength has always been straight-up crime fiction.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I reeeeeeally need to pick up those Criminal hardcovers. I still haven't read any of the Brubaker/Phillips stuff, but I know I'll love Criminal.

Also, I've gotten addicted to C-SPAN again, so after I finish Doom Patrol, I think it will be a good time to start reading Ex Machina.

These Jonah Hex stories by Joe R. Lansdale and Tim Truman of Grimjack fame. Horror-themed westerns, pulpy as fuck dialog, great art. Good comics.

The Jonah Hex: Shadows West TPB?
I haven't finished it yet, but I read the first two minis and I think it's great fun. For being two decades old, it really doesn't seem that dated. Granted, the art is very 90s, but it's still very enjoyable. I think the writing is hilarious and exactly as weird/crazy as it ought to be.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Don't think I didn't notice that you totally Freeza'd those image tags.

BUT HOW CAN YOU BLAME ME IT'S SO ENGROSSING.
Yesterday I watched a full hour and a half town hall meeting. Today I watched a full hour interview with an ex-CBS investigative reporter.

And just you wait until Congress is back in session. Hot damn. It's gonna be like the World Cup with how much I'll be glued to the TV.

Zombine

Banned
Don't think I didn't notice that you totally Freeza'd those image tags.

BUT HOW CAN YOU BLAME ME IT'S SO ENGROSSING.
Yesterday I watched a full hour and a half town hall meeting. Today I watched a full hour interview with an ex-CBS investigative reporter.

And just you wait until Congress is back in session. Hot damn. It's gonna be like the World Cup with how much I'll be glued to the TV.

Haha I botched it. And I met the C-SPAN crew. Working for Govt TV may be a bail out plan for me. I have like 50 orange C-SPAN pens laying around.

I also picked up Kill La Kill, for $10 why not? To be honest, I love manga quite a bit. The only stuff I don't enjoy are the moe blob stories. The closest I get to that stuff is Rosario + Vampire.

Manga are basically comics anyway. Though there's a lot more crap to dig through to find the good stuff.

ElNarez

Banned
Kill la Kill is fucking sexist trash.

Young Avengers is fucking awesome.

I've been busy with shit and you come and press all my goddamn buttons. NEVER CHANGE, GAF. NEVER CHANGE.

Kill la Kill is fucking sexist trash.

Young Avengers is fucking awesome.

I've been busy with shit and you come and press all my goddamn buttons. NEVER CHANGE, GAF. NEVER CHANGE.

Kill La Kill was fun at times. The pacing was the real issue. YA was fucking hipster trash. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom