• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE Jojo everything. The show, the books, the figures, the Capcom game, and I own the Namco one but I haven't put much time into it.
My man.

I don't like All-Star Battle but the anime/manga and Capcom game are amazing.
Are the volumes they have on cmx the start. It says part 3 but vol 1. Me confused

The series is split into 8 separate parts each with a new protagonist. So Part 3 works fine as a starting point. It's the only part of the manga that's been officially localized so far but 1 and 2 are coming out in English next year I think? You could always watch the anime since it covers all of 1 and 2 and it's on Crunchyroll and then read Part 3.

And to keep things comic book related. I always see an image going around of the Hulk dressed as The World from some random comic. Wonder how that came about.

ElNarez

Banned
Kill la Kill had a fucking rape scene that it never ever even fucking addressed after it happened, coupled with some very fucked up views on female sexuality.

Young Avengers was, at the time, the only teen comic written for actual teenagers, and not for the same old bunch of neckbearded assholes that's been wishing they had remained teens forever and who have ruined things like say, Teen Titans or the Legion. It is very literally about not being able to relate to your parents and hating yourself and being scared of the future and why am I even addressing people who legitimately think "hipster trash" carries any sort of meaning YOU GOT ME AGAIN GAF.

Oh wow the 12 and 1985 are on sale on CMX. I forgot the twelve actually finished. I was reading that until it went MIA. Did it end in any reasonable fashion? I'll probably pass on both and read it on MU.

1985 is like if 80s/Amblin Entertainment Spielberg made a movie in the Marvel universe. I haven't read it since '09, but I remember it missing a lot of the cynicism of Millar's recent work. Tommy Lee Edwards draws the fuck out of it, at any rate.

1985 is like if 80s/Amblin Entertainment Spielberg made a movie in the Marvel universe. I haven't read it since '09, but I remember it missing a lot of the cynicism of Millar's recent work. Tommy Lee Edwards draws the fuck out of it, at any rate.
I've heard good things but it's millar and I've grown....cautious

I remember liking 1985 a lot. Also the villain shows up in Millard FF run!

Kill la kill was fun and rebelled in its absurdity . Tho it does get uncomfortable in spots but it really makes you hate the villain

So gang, what's everyone been reading this weekend?

Been catching up on TMNT (City Fall) and Uncanny Avengers (Avenge the Earth) and I'm loving both of them.

@Cheska: I wish you asked last month... I did a giveaway for the first 6 or 7 issues! I only have the codes for the last two I think
catchin' up on the ol backlog in between games of Supercard.

by the way, the current Detective Comics run is gettin' boring. Manapul's art is fantastic but i can't help but prefer, like, a darker art style. It's too beautiful, imo. On the other hand, there's something like that new Judge Anderson where the style totally fits and everything but the art itself isn't particularly noteworthy

Young Avengers was, at the time, the only teen comic written for actual teenagers, and not for the same old bunch of neckbearded assholes that's been wishing they had remained teens forever and who have ruined things like say, Teen Titans or the Legion. It is very literally about not being able to relate to your parents and hating yourself and being scared of the future and why am I even addressing people who legitimately think "hipster trash" carries any sort of meaning YOU GOT ME AGAIN GAF.

take it from a teenager - this shit's good, bruhs.
yes, i AM on tumblr

Soon

Bu77GfGCMAAp170.jpg

Bonus material.

@nathanfairbairn: Currently admiring Frank Quitely's thumbnail roughs for this Multiversity issue. They are better than anything I will ever draw in my life.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone reading The Bunker by Joshua Hale Fialkov?

I'm kind of intrigued and I see the first trade has dropped.

Also, I just read the first six issues of A&L GotG and feel like I just received a crash course in cosmic Marvel. It was kind of overwhelming jumping into this not having read anything before this. Seeing the movie twice was the only thing that saved me.

I have read Rocket Raccoon, Legendary Star-Lord, and now this. Obviously my knowledge is limited but would it be fair that the movie has done the best job at making these characters interesting? I'm not saying this book is bad, it's actually quite entertaining. We talk of definite runs by a writer for a character(s). Is the definite "run" or adaption of these characters now the movie?

Vyer

Also, I just read the first six issues of A&L GotG and feel like I just received a crash course in cosmic Marvel. It was kind of overwhelming jumping into this not having read anything before this. Seeing the movie twice was the only thing that saved me.

I have read Rocket Raccoon, Legendary Star-Lord, and now this. Obviously my knowledge is limited but would it be fair that the movie has done the best job at making these characters interesting? I'm not saying this book is bad, it's actually quite entertaining. We talk of definite runs by a writer for a character(s). Is the definite "run" or adaption of these characters now the movie?

It will probably become the most mainstream/non comic reader version of them I guess, seeing as how they were a little more obscure than Thor or Iron Man and so on. I guess 'classic' comic Guardians is primarily the Valentino run? (though I'm not as familiar with it) and then A/L the more definitive/modern group until Bendis' version.

I like A/L comic Gamora and Drax more than their movie versions.

Vito

Banned
Kill la Kill had a fucking rape scene that it never ever even fucking addressed after it happened, coupled with some very fucked up views on female sexuality.

Did you miss the turn for tumblr there? It's got its share of problems like most entertainment, but it's hardly as bad as you're trying to portray it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

As in best version? Pratt's Starlord might be better than Abnett's (and thats a big might) but everyone else is superior in the comics, especially Gamora and Drax. And of course you get the full team. And that means Cosmo, the best member. It also helps if you read the full Cosmic Marvel run but it is quite an undertaking and some parts that arent centered on Nova or the members of the Guardians can be mediocre.

Did you miss the turn for tumblr there? It's got its share of problems like most entertainment, but it's hardly as bad as you're trying to portray it.

There is no need to be dismissive about his opinions. I don't see a call for the 'This isn't Live Journal brah' posts.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Stupid question time: why do some superheroes, like Batman and Spider-Man, have to worry constantly about police being against them and attempting to arrest them, when most others have no problem with police? Especially when there's stuff like the Justice League or the Avengers which are basically a police force of their own. Why the official hard line on "vigilantes" for Batman but everyone loves Superman?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Batman works together with the police.

And Spider-Man is denounced by the Daily Bugle. They make the people believe that hes a menace.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Batman works together with the police.

Ah, fair enough. I haven't read a lot of Batman comics outside of DKR, Year One and Killing Joke etc and they all have the "officially our position is to bring in Batman" angle, as do the films, have been reading the recent New 52 run and Zero Year (obviously that's going to have him be seen as a vigilante), it just seems the prevailing image is that he's got to hide from police, whereas I've never thought of that being an angle for Superman, and I imagine people like the Flash, Captain America and so on don't really get much hassle for what they do.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I don't have anyone to talk about this with and everywhere I look on the internet seems to be ignoring it, but anyone know what the deal with Frank Miller's health is? Seeing photos of him from the last few months is frightening and sad.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ah, fair enough. I haven't read a lot of Batman comics outside of DKR, Year One and Killing Joke etc and they all have the "officially our position is to bring in Batman" angle, as do the films, have been reading the recent New 52 run and Zero Year (obviously that's going to have him be seen as a vigilante), it just seems the prevailing image is that he's got to hide from police, whereas I've never thought of that being an angle for Superman, and I imagine people like the Flash, Captain America and so on don't really get much hassle for what they do.

Firstly, Year One and Zero are Prequels, where the relationship between Batman and the Police isnt established yet. On this point, he is just another villigante for them.

In TDKR, Gordon is ok with the Batman, only the new Police Commisioner ist going after him.

In Killing Joke, there is no hint, that the police is going against Batman.

And I never noticed anything in the New 52 Books, that would hint that Batman is searched by police. He is even allowed to put his fancy gadgets in the police morgue and nobody cares about it.

Of course the official position of the GCPD is that they arent working together, because its clear that there would be a big shitstorm when it would come out, that the police is working with a legal unsanctioned caped guy in a crazy batsuit.

From time to time of course Gordon is dismissed for a couple of books and Batman is on his own, but this is usuall for a couple of books. The ordinary status quo is that the police and Batman are working together.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Of course the official position of the GCPD is that they arent working together, because its clear that there would be a big shitstorm when it would come out, that the police is working with a legal unsanctioned caped guy in a crazy batsuit.

Yeah, I don't think I put it across properly that with the prequel stories you're obviously going to have him being looked at as a crazy weirdo. I think this part of your post is what I was asking about though, that they're officially not working together. I guess none of the superheroes officially work with the police, but it's always seemed to me to be part of Batman's character that he has all this sneaking around, unofficially working with Gordon but the police generally are against his actions, whereas you wouldn't have that sort of a storyline in a Superman comic. I don't know. Re-reading DKR this morning got me thinking about it. I did say it was a stupid question, ha.

Tomodachi

I spent half an hour trying to registering to marvel.com to get a marvel unlimited subscription. I guess their servers are kinda off.
I finally made it and now the library is not really working, every time I add something in the library it disappears after 30 seconds, and I can't even download anything because it says the limit of 12 has been reached. Anyone having the same issues? First timer with MU here. It's really wonky so far.

Messi

So I don't have anyone to talk about this with and everywhere I look on the internet seems to be ignoring it, but anyone know what the deal with Frank Miller's health is? Seeing photos of him from the last few months is frightening and sad.

We talked about it a few weeks back. General consensus was that he has cancer :(

ThyComicList:
BOOM!:
TRANSLUCID #5/6

DC COMICS:
BATMAN AND ROBIN #34
BATMAN ETERNAL #20
MULTIVERSITY #1
SUPERGIRL #34 (Doomed tie-in)

IMAGE:
SUPREME BLUE ROSE #2
WICKED + DIVINE #3

MARVEL:
DARDEVIL #7
ELEKTRA #5
MS. MARVEL #7

Messi

I wish doomed would fuck off and end. Feels like it's been going for way too long and it pulled in too many books. Forced me to drop Superman Wonder Woman which I had been enjoying.

It's a joke financially too. There were 3 doomed books last week adding up to $13 in one week.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I usually go all-digital, aside from a couple of Hawkeye issues, but I think i'll be picking up Multiversity in floppies. Just seems like this is going to be one of those comics.

My list:

Books of the week:
Daredevil #7
Multiversity #1
Wicked & Divine #3
Wonder Woman #34

Also picking up:
Batman and Robin #34
Elektra #5
Fables #143
Magneto #8
Ms. Marvel #7
Original Sins #5
Secret Avengers #7
Supergirl #34
Supreme Blue Rose #2
Trees #4
The Unwritten: Apocalypse #8

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I would start with the annihilation conquest to show the origin of the team. If you really want to understand the modern version of cosmic marvel go back to Annihilation wave which was like a mini reboot/reshuffling of cosmic marvel.

Mindwipe

Stupid question time: why do some superheroes, like Batman and Spider-Man, have to worry constantly about police being against them and attempting to arrest them, when most others have no problem with police? Especially when there's stuff like the Justice League or the Avengers which are basically a police force of their own. Why the official hard line on "vigilantes" for Batman but everyone loves Superman?

To be blunt, what the hell are the police supposed to do against Superman?

They literally have no chance at all, so there's no point.

The US military has frequently conspired against Supes though, with access to much better weaponry, as a result of him being a vigilante. And the first arc of post nu-52 Superman was about this happening.

tim1138

Ulises Farinas absolutely unloaded on Bleeding Cool and Yale Stewart yesterday:

This is my response to that terrible Bleeding Cool article. Not gonna link it.

I’m mad about ‪#‎Ferguson‬, and i’m being asked what am i doing about it, and i’m just harshing on someone else’s fun, and criticizing some one trying to do something good. But what all Yale Stewart’s fans and himself are missing, is i’m not mad at some stupid fan art, i’m mad because this is how it always is.

Some shit happens, and to have some white guy decide to make a feel-good chibi image, for his own self promotion, and have all his fans pat themselves on the back for ‘caring’, is just a bunch of motherfuckers playing tourism in a racism theme park.

I don’t want your fucking chibi, i don’t want to be nice, i don’t want some cute Hal Jordan saying he supports Ferguson, and by extension, all victims of police brutality. I don’t want this to settle down and he goes on to the next tragedy, to “support”. Don’t hallmark card this shit.

Because long after this is done, long after no one remembers this pointless twitter scuffle, the opportunistic bleeding cool, the parasitic Rich Johnston, the tone-deaf Yale Stewart – I’ll still be loud, proud, brown and angry.

I’ll still remember my father being arrested when i was a kid, i’ll still know my father was a victim of a police state imprisoned without trial for 10 years in cuba, my mother was a victim of a predatory mental health system, i’ll still have it in my blood that all this shit that happens to poor people, mostly brown people.

And then you draw a cartoon that says you support me? Where were your cartoons last week? Where was your voice last month? Last year. Because i’ve been talking this shit for as long as anyone knows me, and i will keep talking about it. I don’t get to play tourist, i don’t get to play at self promo, for me, any time i talk about racism, i gotta worry that this is the time people get tired of seeing it.

Long after your visit, i’ll still be living in the America that you can’t even see.

This is why i hate what Yale Stewart did, don’t let any other story twist it.

From twitter, the conversation continues, since a lot of his fanboys are writing me there _

I will never hallmark card my existence. I will always be angry, & it might be irrational, it might be wrong, but thats what America made me

I don’t draw cute shit for how i feel about #ferguson because its disgusting, revolting, unbearable, and there’s nothing i can do to express

that long after the debate is over with the white person online, after i’m kicked out of bars, made a party weird, i go home and im still mad

Because nothing has changed, nothing changes, and you motherfuckers are telling me Yale Stewart, he’s the one making the change w/ Chibi JLA

I didn’t wake up on the wrong side of the bed, i woke up on the wrong side of the tracks. You can keep your hallmark cards and self promo.

But go ahead, let Yale Stewart tell you how he helped Ferguson. Congrats, I wish some of that money would’ve bailed me out of being poor.

rant done. Enjoy your Sunday, this won’t matter in a week. None of these tweets do.

He also posted screen caps of the hate mail he was getting from Stewart fans on his Facebook page.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Calling it now. That Multiversity #1 will one day sell for as much as that Action Comics #1 is selling on eBay.
Inflation would have to go nuts first, but still.
And no, I don't think my hype is too strong.

Haha I botched it. And I met the C-SPAN crew. Working for Govt TV may be a bail out plan for me. I have like 50 orange C-SPAN pens laying around.

Not gonna lie. I'm pretty jealous. If you ever get a job for C-SPAN, you better hook me up with a job too. Or some free pens.

Ulises Farinas absolutely unloaded on Bleeding Cool and Yale Stewart yesterday:

He also posted screen caps of the hate mail he was getting from Stewart fans on his Facebook page.

Seems harsh. I see where he's coming from, but wouldn't his passion be best used against the source of the problem rather than against an artist who means well? Is his point that if Yale isn't into this issue for the long haul, he ought to ignore it altogether?

Has Super Secret Crisis War lived up to its enormous potential? Trade waiting it and one shots......

There's only been 2 issues and 1 side book released so far. So I don't want to jump to any conclusions. That said so far it's been ehh. I feel like it suffers from the same problem as the Samurai Jack book. The folks writing it get the characters on a Surface level, and kind of get the stuff around that but go no deeper. So you get something that looks like the characters, but lacks the depth, and the soul of them.

I usually go all-digital, aside from a couple of Hawkeye issues, but I think i'll be picking up Multiversity in floppies. Just seems like this is going to be one of those comics.

Also picking up:
Fables #143

How is Fables currently? I think I stopped at Super Team. (Issue 107).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How is Fables currently? I think I stopped at Super Team. (Issue 107).

It's good. There was a definite dip for a while, but there's been enough there to keep me hooked and it's had an upswing and is back on track again. I've been following since the start though, and as things are being wrapped up with the book ending at 150 I wouldn't stop reading it now anyway. Having said that, I'd definitely rank it up there as a must-read series. I just had a look back to see what's happened since you stopped reading and there's been a couple of great storylines, the
Cubs in Toyland
one was right up there IMO, and the current
Camelot
one has been interesting too. If you enjoyed the book up until that point I'd definitely recommend catching up, there's enough good story there to carry you through to the end, and by then you'll want to see how it all wraps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom