• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

I think Final Crisis is a mess of a comic tbh, but it's more interesting than most of the early Morrison Batman stuff up to and including RIP.

frye

JHWIII was probably at his best balance of ornateness and readability in that arc but i dunno man i even like Batman and Son and 666 more.

frye

let's just say in the magic war between moore and morrison, morrison lost the prose battle before it even began

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Remender's Punisher. My proudest moment.

Oh my goodness. That's the greatest thing ever.

What's the quote?

Found it!

hq-punisher-by-rick-remender-omnibus-justiceiro--7024-MLB5147955528_102013-F.jpg

Hey look, I bought another Grant Morrison book! I'll be asking questions I reckon.

Nice! I feel like the best way to read Final Crisis is to just accept the fact that most of it is going over your head and just enjoy it anyways. I'm pretty sure Morrison said somewhere that it was intentionally written in a chaotic way because when the whole multiverse is getting destroyed, well, it's a pretty chaotic event. I think the effect works very well and makes it incredibly exciting. It also gives the feeling that what's happening really is a massively big deal.
There's obviously the other side of that opinion which thinks that it's chaotic and a mess, but I hope you really enjoy it like I do!

nigga even if I don't like that

straight birdie tier prose and ReBoot mid-90s CG art

I second this.
I really tried to like it, but man was it a chore.

nigga even if I don't like that

straight birdie tier prose and ReBoot mid-90s CG art

Yeah I couldn't get into that at all.

Just read through Uncanny Avengers Annual and I thought it was pretty great. I really love this series.

OF COURSE Ben's quote calls it the best book ever lol. Put me on the back of New Warriors, Marvel :(

Kipp

Ah yes!!! THANK you!

I am really insanely proud of that quote, not just the fact that it exists on the book, but I really love that writing.

I'm just great.

You should be proud. That is pretty much amazing.

Man, does anyone love Clown at Midnight? I read that once, and never again.

Cade (the guy who posted on the top of the page) likes it. He's the one who made me read it even though I initially skipped it (THANKS).
So he's probably the one person who likes it. Maybe he's the only real Morrison fan.

But really, who wants to read 20-some pages of prose in the middle of reading comics? That's like eating a bowl of ice cream, but halfway through chowing down on some broccoli dipped in garlic hummus. Nothing wrong with broccoli dipped in garlic hummus, but with the taste of ice cream on either side of it, it just doesn't work at all.

Finished the first half of "Boxers and Saints". Interesting read so far.

It's like an anime where the team of heroes turn into versions of Chinese mythic heroes but the bad guys happen to be Christians and those Imperial troops who work for the foreign powers.

Looking forward to reading the Saints half of it now.

PsychBat!

Banned
For generations, life on Earth-8 passed like it does on our world. Largely uneventful, and when problems did arise, they were handled easily by the world’s large population of super heroes. Until a day finally arrived like no other, and Earth-8’s strongest heroes were forced to unite against a common threat. The Retaliators were born!
lol, I can't wait.

Kipp

This been posted yet? DC released an interactive map of the Multiverse

Only 3 Earths are up at the moment.

Oooh. Can't wait to read about this Earth-0. Sounds super crazy and weird.

Also, thought this bit from the description of Earth-8 was pretty funny: "On Earth-8, a life of heroism often comes at great sacrifice to the man or woman behind the mask. Faith in heroes is in short supply and mistrust can run rampant. Perhaps the people of Earth-8 should talk to some of their alternate world counterparts, who turn out in droves for movies featuring the very heroes they’re shunning."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I still dont get what Multiversity is going to be about.

It's going to be about the Multiverse and comic books and everything great that happens when you combine those two things.

Messi

DC COMICS November 2014 Solicitations: New 52 Group 1

Can't wait for the raaage.

Holy shit at this amazing Harley [New Suicide Squad] cover. Also looks like Jeremy Roberts who does this cover, is also the one doing the interior art, and is the only artist on the book.

Holy shit that Harley cover is awesome. Can't wait to see the interiors.

Why do all the symbiotes have spiders on them?

Messi

Is there a reason, DC does so many Gimmick Issues? I noticed that there are similar things every couple of months. Like the 0-Issue Month, Villain-Month, Futures End Month?

Does they really sell that much more than regular Issues?

Each of those were a year apart no?

Is there a reason, DC does so many Gimmick Issues? I noticed that there are similar things every couple of months. Like the 0-Issue Month, Villain-Month, Futures End Month?

Does they really sell that much more than regular Issues?

Yes, they do. Typically you see them jump 10-15% market share during each gimmick month.

Ex:
September Market Shares
2011 43.04%
2012 41.10%
2013 45.17%

Thanks for the responses. I have been anti-Nu52 so I haven't read DC for awhile. I picked up Aquaman despite Johns no longer being on the book. I didn't much care for it since it felt like mostly filler. Justice League was a bad issue to start with as it seemed like a back door pilot for Doom Patrol.

Thats what I get for trying new things.

PsychBat!

Banned
Thanks for the responses. I have been anti-Nu52 so I haven't read DC for awhile. I picked up Aquaman despite Johns no longer being on the book. I didn't much care for it since it felt like mostly filler. Justice League was a bad issue to start with as it seemed like a back door pilot for Doom Patrol.

nu52 Batman's pretty good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's because you keep picking up the bad books, read Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom