• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Jessica Jones #3
Continuing the "Good Goddamned Comics" that is this book, we get a lot of revelations;
Jess knows Future Dani to some degree and is having weird dreams. Dreams weren't really a thing for Jess prior to this, so we'll see where this goes. I'm betting that the end of Civil War 2 causes Ulysses to pull someone from the future, which will be Dani Cage. Possibly more.
We also have the development with a particular Civil War angle that's basically Bendis taking a shot at his own event. Also we get to see Jess be a badass in one of a absolutely hilarious hero-villain interaction, something I would not expect out of this book.

Also, Gaydos, buddy, you can't possibly think you'd get away with that copy-paste job, did you?

Old Man Logan #15
That was a really fun arc with a very heartwarming ending. The kind of arc that makes you love Logan and Jubilee. Art was good too. Though I suppose not even a different writer can save the lame corniness of the Howling Commandos of SHIELD. Except for Orrgo.

Power Man and Iron Fist #11
We got a lotta set up in a book where the villains are pretty much running the show. I'm digging the power plays and alliances and all those shenanigans. The action and humor are still on point. Not much else to sat on it other than that it's still pretty enjoyable. Disco Devil took down Black Goliath.

The Uncanny Avengers #17
Man this was great. Phenomenal. I loved everything about it. The display of powers and action was awesome. Just a very fun, intense, kinetic issue. Like a summer blockbuster. I loved Elektra in it and all the absolute shit that Synapse gets. Awesome.

Messi

Oh, now I vaguely remember it.

His rebirth #1 was also a tribute to it.

latest

HARLEYQUINN001_COLOR_FINAL1.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just started reading the original 1974 Man-Thing...

This is literally the most enjoyable Marvel comic I've ever read (not that I've read too many...) and would love to see an experimental animated series based on the concept of the "protagonist" being a force of nature.

I've stated already multiple times how I don't think it's that bad and have actually been enjoying it quite a bit. Keep in mind, I was down on it early on. The #0 felt like it was the most basic "hey look this is an issue." The first issue was better, but then the second wasn't all that great. #3 and though? Pretty solid. Moments here and there happened. It's not amazing by any means, and if it were a weaker artist, surely it wouldn't be as good, but I don't find it to be trash nor do I see it as the supreme act of character assassination everyone believes it to be (that blame is primarily on the tie-ins).

I enjoy Civil War 2 more as it's gone on

Honestly, it's biggest problem is the two most interesting facets of the central conflict are hidden in two ongoing books.

Those events:
Jessica Jones reveals that the random woman Carol brought in actually was evil and is planning shit. Steve Rogers: Captain America reveals that Spider-Man shanking Cap is probably a good thing, not a misstep.

Honestly, it's biggest problem is the two most interesting facets of the central conflict are hidden in two ongoing books.

Those events:
Jessica Jones reveals that the random woman Carol brought in actually was evil and is planning shit.

Was she?
Or was she pushed toward evil after being put through that ordeal by Carol? Would this not be happening if Carol wasn't going all in on predictive justice?

Was she?
Or was she pushed toward evil after being put through that ordeal by Carol? Would this not be happening if Carol wasn't going all in on predictive justice?

The general thrust of the conversation was she had been waiting for an "in" for some time now. Lady is too connected for someone who just recently got into the game.

Why are Marvel sales so bad? As someone who just follows along with MU I'm under the impression that it has to do with the universe always being in upheaval? Constant #1s/events/other changes give me the impression that editorial has no idea what they're doing. The Inhumans/X-Men mess is a good example, but then there's shit like CWII in its entirety and how Iron Man (Tony Stark) managed to go from the headliner of ANAD to being replaced by a completely new legacy character in the span of like a year.

Also I get the idea of "seasonal" comics with relaunches but it just seems kind of... dumb? I'm not super knowledgeable but comics have survived for decades without being afraid of changing writers mid-run or hitting fairly large issue numbers. It's dumb to have to hit a soft-reset button every time you want to change writers or whatever.

Anyway, just got through Inferno and wew lads that was a 10/10 crossover. Well, at least the UXM/XF stuff. X-Terminators and New Mutants was definitely weaker, but mostly because the X-Terminators are super lame and the missing NM issues on MU made me feel like I was missing some backstory with regards to what was going on with Magik. Seriously though it was super dope seeing XFs "we don't kill anybody ever" mantra vs. the UXM crew which have seen some real shit and have lost most of their inhibitions.

Those events:
Jessica Jones reveals that the random woman Carol brought in actually was evil and is planning shit. Steve Rogers: Captain America reveals that Spider-Man shanking Cap is probably a good thing, not a misstep.
To some degree, yes, but I don't think that's the major problem, which is how it deals with the characters' arguments for how they chosw their sides. Star Lord's reasoning is literally "because Carol said so," for example.

Was she?
I dunno.
Do good people hire the Spot to do jobs for them? But it could just be another Banner situation.

Sandfox

Why are Marvel sales so bad? As someone who just follows along with MU I'm under the impression that it has to do with the universe always being in upheaval? Constant #1s/events/other changes give me the impression that editorial has no idea what they're doing. The Inhumans/X-Men mess is a good example, but then there's shit like CWII in its entirety and how Iron Man (Tony Stark) managed to go from the headliner of ANAD to being replaced by a completely new legacy character in the span of like a year.

Also I get the idea of "seasonal" comics with relaunches but it just seems kind of... dumb? I'm not super knowledgeable but comics have survived for decades without being afraid of changing writers mid-run or hitting fairly large issue numbers. It's dumb to have to hit a soft-reset button every time you want to change writers or whatever.

Anyway, just got through Inferno and wew lads that was a 10/10 crossover. Well, at least the UXM/XF stuff. X-Terminators and New Mutants was definitely weaker, but mostly because the X-Terminators are super lame and the missing NM issues on MU made me feel like I was missing some backstory with regards to what was going on with Magik. Seriously though it was super dope seeing XFs "we don't kill anybody ever" mantra vs. the UXM crew which have seen some real shit and have lost most of their inhibitions.
It's more that they are underachieving than anything else. The issue is that people in general aren't interested in the concepts they are currently pushing for various reasons.

Also, the problem with just letting a comic run for decades is that readers will just continue to drop off, and new readers will find it difficult to jump in and take their place.

At this rate, it will be your favorite event of all-time when it concludes July 2017.
The last issue hits next Wednesday.

VanWinkle

CBR forums are just...ARGH. Where else could you possibly have a community where more people say Omega Men is meh than there are people saying it's good? (speaking strictly of the DC hardcover community thread, but still. I can't get over how insane it is) Then there's a guy who says Tom King has good ideas but he can't write worth a crap.

kmfdmpig

I wonder if the MU subscriptions cut into unit sales dramatically (10-20% or so)? It would make sense that someone would be able to wait 6 months on an issue that would be just worthwhile enough for them to pick up, but not toward the top of their wanted list. Marvel still makes money through those subscriptions, so it's probably worth considering when comparing DC and Marvel sales as DC has nothing comparable.

Why are Marvel sales so bad?

They are?

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-11.html
Share of Overall Units
Marvel: 39.46%
DC: 31.30%
Image: 9.06%

Share of Overall Dollars
Marvel: 38.08%
DC: 26.17%
Image: 8.99%

Items in Top 300
Marvel: 84
DC: 82
Image: 33

Share of Units in Top 300
Marvel: 40.35%
DC: 39.97%
Image: 7.37%

Share of Dollars in Top 300
Marvel: 44.83%
DC: 35.21%
Image: 7.12%

October 2016
September 2016 <--- DC leads due to the second wave of Rebirth books.
August 2016<--- DC leads due to the second wave of Rebirth books.

And that's with DC double-shipping all of its biggest books. I've never understood where this perception of Rebirth's performance is coming from. Rebirth is very strong from a creative perspective, but the sales overall aren't way, way higher.

VanWinkle

They are?

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-11.html

October 2016
September 2016 <--- DC leads due to the second wave of Rebirth books.
August 2016<--- DC leads due to the second wave of Rebirth books.

And that's with DC double-shipping all of its biggest books. I've never understood where this perception of Rebirth's performance is coming from. Rebirth is very strong from a creative perspective, but the sales overall aren't way, way higher.

I don't follow singles at all, but I have to imagine Marvel ships more books (series) than DC ever since Rebirth. Is that true, and, if so, how many more does Marvel ship?

Ross61

CBR forums are just...ARGH. Where else could you possibly have a community where more people say Omega Men is meh than there are people saying it's good? (speaking strictly of the DC hardcover community thread, but still. I can't get over how insane it is) Then there's a guy who says Tom King has good ideas but he can't write worth a crap.
CBR is a cesspool of terrible comic opinions.

Boogiepop

This reminds me: how bad are the holes in MU for the X-men stuff in particular. I've kind of decided that I want to make that a goal for when I eventually clear out enough of my Comixology backlog to consider resubscribing (IE I've got too much stuff to read, so I don't really have the time right now to take proper advantage of MU). That is, to read through the whole X-men line (over a period of time) and presumably soak in a ton of crappy comics along the way.

Inhumans vs. X-Men #1
I'm the only one who is both a fan of X-Men and Inhumans on here...and I'm getting something awesome. Fuck this is pretty good. Everything feels well-thought out. The match-ups work. Everything feels great. Except for two things:

The inconsistency involving Dazzler. Her mask gets blasted by Black Bolt, but in the next panel she has it on, completely whole.

Rogue. She was incredbly proactive against the cloud and known to be quite fiery. Now she claims the Inhumans did nothing to hurt them? How could she possibly disagree in this scenario? Forge not caring makes sense, but Rogue going against seems off.

Beyond that, bring it on. Also the cover of UXM #16 is fucking perfect knowing what's happening

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Pink #5
Aaaaah the penultimate issue of this mini. And it's pretty good. Heartwarming end with an ending that wasn't as climactic as I desired, but it works. Brutal ending. And now we finally get the reunion we wanted? Honestly this bothers me. Something I really liked about this is that early on we had commando Kim using limited powers. She couldn't go in like she could when she was on a team. She had to think and play to her strengths. Now she gets a bootleg Rangers squad and the downsides to her powers are reduced to a time limit and that's all. A bummer, but we're finally getting out conclusion.

Top Bottom