• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #2
Aaw well I guess this is still a cute book. Has some funny moments. I like the nod to Mark Hamill. I dunno. I guess I'll keep reading. No reason not to and it's good for a few laughs.

Detective Comics #946
Well shit that was brutal. Like, really brutal on both an emotional and physical level. Firstly,
I have a very strong feeling that by missing Tim and using one of the mud soldiers like that, it's going to become sentient. Then in order to defeat them, Clayface will absorb them, overloading himself with conflicting personalities, causing him to lose control and completely break down on a physical level. Nothing but clay.
Calling it now. Secondly,
the Victim Syndicate was dispatched pretty quickly, but brutally. Glory was given reprieve and then knocked out. The Mute was forced into submission by his dead wife's voice. Crow was just punched out, but what happened to Noxious...goddamn. Like, whether or not that does kill, holy shit. It mummified him. Straight up, that dude's a mummy. The problem here is that Luke just doesn't care. I have to assume that it'll work and it was the only way, but he even says that ir probably won't work. No other way to disable him? And then the First Victim, while he didn't get the brunt of it, he's clearly too damaged and fell apart easily. But what's up with Steph? Somethinf has to be controlling her. This isn't really the chance for her to be stepping up like th-OH IT'S A GODDAMN MUD SOLDIER.
SUCK IT IF I'M RIGHT BITCHES.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #5
What a...weird climax. So we find out Oracle's identity and boy is it strange. I really don't know how I feel about this character. On the one hand
I genuinely don't want him in the group. BoP is a female team through and through. I think that's extremely important as a core element. Plus, I don't think he's entirely good people. Shady shit was done, although one could argue that in this case the ends justified the means. Plus it seems like Babs is becoming Oracle again in a new way, and I like that.
Now on the other hand...there's not another hand. That's it.

Also top tier revelation at the end. Well done.

Supergirl #4
Slow issue, but heavy and emotional. A lot of character growth here. Both Rubel and Cat have managed go grow on me (
"She's the sworn enemy of Lois Lane and needs anplace to hide"
got me). Also we get to see some cool fancy DEO tech AND an important callback to the Rebirth issue.

We about to get a damn fight next issue. Shit's gonna get even realer than real.

Suicide Squad #8
So I picked this up due to being part of the Justice League vs Suicide Squad checklist. The first part of the issue was pretty fun, though I have no context, like who Hack is (and why she has diamond tats like Harley), why
Boomerang has a machine, and how they got Zod and the black vault (which I assume is a Phantom Zone gateway?)
, but it was fun all around. Enchantress and Boomerang in particular.

The second part, which is the REAL prelude focusing on Killer Frost, was for lack of a better word, pretty cool. Nice to see inside of a character that I'm not terribly familiar with. Enjoyable to see
how the fuck Waller is standing in a "well-below zero" room in regular ass clothes and
the entrance to Belle Reve from a first-person view. Not much needed here, but I am excited.
Finally reading IvX #1. Logan's logic for his vote is so astonishingly straight forward.
And it's fucking true. What do they have to lose in this fight?
I like the Inhumans and the X-Men
You like Medusa and maybe Naga and Swain.

Ross61

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #2
Aaw well I guess this is still a cute book. Has some funny moments. I like the nod to Mark Hamill. I dunno. I guess I'll keep reading. No reason not to and it's good for a few laughs.

Detective Comics #946
Well shit that was brutal. Like, really brutal on both an emotional and physical level. Firstly,
I have a very strong feeling that by missing Tim and using one of the mud soldiers like that, it's going to become sentient. Then in order to defeat them, Clayface will absorb them, overloading himself with conflicting personalities, causing him to lose control and completely break down on a physical level. Nothing but clay.
Calling it now. Secondly,
the Victim Syndicate was dispatched pretty quickly, but brutally. Glory was given reprieve and then knocked out. The Mute was forced into submission by his dead wife's voice. Crow was just punched out, but what happened to Noxious...goddamn. Like, whether or not that does kill, holy shit. It mummified him. Straight up, that dude's a mummy. The problem here is that Luke just doesn't care. I have to assume that it'll work and it was the only way, but he even says that ir probably won't work. No other way to disable him? And then the First Victim, while he didn't get the brunt of it, he's clearly too damaged and fell apart easily. But what's up with Steph? Somethinf has to be controlling her. This isn't really the chance for her to be stepping up like th-OH IT'S A GODDAMN MUD SOLDIER.
SUCK IF I'M RIGHT BITCHES.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #5
What a...weird climax. So we find out Oracle's identity and boy is it strange. I really don't know how I feel about this character. On the one hand
I genuinely don't want him in the group. BoP is a female team through and through. I think that's extremely important as a core element. Plus, I don't think he's entirely good people. Shady shit was done, although one could argue that in this case the ends justified the means. Plus it seems like Babs is becoming Oracle again in a new way, and I like that.
Now on the other hand...there's not another hand. That's it.

Also top tier revelation at the end. Well done.

Supergirl #4
Slow issue, but heavy and emotional. A lot of character growth here. Both Rubel and Cat have managed go grow on me (
"She's the sworn enemy of Lois Lane and needs anplace to hide"
got me). Also we get to see some cool fancy DEO tech AND an important callback to the Rebirth issue.

We about to get a damn fight next issue. Shit's gonna get even realer than real.

Suicide Squad #8
So I picked this up due to being part of the Justice League vs Suicide Squad checklist. The first part of the issue was pretty fun, though I have no context, like who Hack is (and why she has diamond tats like Harley), why
Boomerang has a machine, and how they got Zod and the black vault (which I assume is a Phantom Zone gateway?)
, but it was fun all around. Enchantress and Boomerang in particular.

The second part, which is the REAL prelude focusing on Killer Frost, was for lack of a better word, pretty cool. Nice to see inside of a character that I'm not terribly familiar with. Enjoyable to see
how the fuck Waller is standing in a "well-below zero" room in regular ass clothes and
the entrance to Belle Reve from a first-person view. Not much needed here, but I am excited.

And it's fucking true. What do they have to lose in this fight?

You like Medusa and maybe Naga and Swain.

Hack is a Harley fanatic. But beyond that she actually has an interesting origin that's was shown in one of the backups.

Owzers

Cmx sales got me, especially since my Harley statue isn't arriving until the 28th :/.

Omega Men trade for $6 and the first four issues of kill or be killed.

GKTk7PW.jpg
I'm just missing one volume. And yes I know I have paperback mixed with hardcovers. The hardcovers for vol. 2,3,4, and 5 are expensive. It doesn't bother me that much. Vol. 1 is about 6 years old and still in good shape. The wrap-around cover has a nice rough old texture feel to it.

That's awesome. I would love if they did (assuming high quality of coursE) HP comics. A very easy instant buy for both my partner and the kid, they both love the franchise.

I'm just missing one volume. And yes I know I have paperback mixed with hardcovers. The hardcovers for vol. 2,3,4, and 5 are expensive. It doesn't bother me that much. Vol. 1 is about 6 years old and still in good shape. The wrap-around cover has a nice rough old texture feel to it.

Brilliant! Really love the Am Vamp trades, they really sit nicely on the shelf.

double sorry. Can you tell I woke up to no coffee this morning? :( I have some real cheap ass coffee they sent me by accident at the back of the cupboard but I don't know if I hate myself enough.

Sandfox

I might pick up the Squirrel Girl OGN since it's on sale for $5.

That DC sale is weird since it's only a 2016 sale and you have books with a single random trade discounted.

Man that is a great sale for people looking to catch up. Tons of great buys there.

Squirrel Girl OGN should be a no-brainer for most at that price

But seriously when there's no coffee, I can't last five minutes. I give up on life

Haha, the GIF sums it up perfectly. If I'm running low throughout the day I can cope, but first thing is really important.

Looking through DC solicits, lots of great stuff. JRJR is the new artist on Suicide Squad though?

Ross61

Haha, the GIF sums it up perfectly. If I'm running low throughout the day I can cope, but first thing is really important.

Looking through DC solicits, lots of great stuff.JRJR is the new artist on Suicide Squad though?

Probably just for the arc. Riley Rossmo was doing a few issues too. Jim Lee leaving and Philip Tan being the new artist on Hellblazer must've got them trying different artist.

Starting the NYX Complete Collection

So far the art's great but what the fuck? Did not expect this to be the book that it is. Some brutal ass shit.

Probably just for the arc. Riley Rossmo was doing a few issues too. Jim Lee leaving and Philip Tan being the new artist on Hellblazer must've got them trying different artist.

I'd definitely take Rossmo, wish he would land somewhere as regular artist!

Widow already ending? Awww.

That's a shame on one hand, but on the other: a good well told story conceived and executed, wrapping up without cancellation. This sounds like a good thing. I'm sure Waid and Samnee will have something else cooking.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Not sure if anyone else here reads Nailbiter but it is ending at #30. That's a pretty good run. I know Messi will be saddest of all to see all those bloody fingertips go away.

pa22word

god damn that 50% off Image deal on comixology...

haul:

Southern Bastards 3 and up

Revival 39 and up

Spread 3 and up

Postal 4 and up

all of Copperhead

going to be a very good holiday comics reading splurge =')

Just caught up with Tomasi's Superman. Man, that was a fun ride. I really like this book. Now to catch up with Batman and Detective Comics.

How's Doom Patrol, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Deathstroke?

Not sure if anyone else here reads Nailbiter but it is ending at #30. That's a pretty good run. I know Messi will be saddest of all to see all those bloody fingertips go away.

That's probably for the best. It started to feel like it was spinning it's wheels and not wanting to make some of the final reveals. That and it started to introduce random people suddenly moving back to the town out of nowhere.

Guessing they realized it was going to enter Lost type territory or they needed to move to a conclusion.

Just caught up with Tomasi's Superman. Man, that was a fun ride. I really like this book. Now to catch up with Batman and Detective Comics.

Doom Patrol is amazing, I love RHOTA but it's not for everyone, and I continue to really like Deathstroke but am unable to really commit because I'm always left really confused.

TheFlow

Banned
wonder woman earth one is probably my favorite ogn this year. and my favorite WW origin.

The fact that I am about to read OMEGA MEN might be my highlight this week. stay tuned for my review.

Dark Knight : A true batman story is on my list for sure.

I have MU so a lot of it that stuff doesn't interest me but having the chance to own personal favs and ect. in hd/with a 2 page viewer is great stuff. Marvel went hard with this sale though.

Everybody if you haven't read it please pick up BLACK PANTHER

Doom Patrol like a lot of the young animal books has a Super crazy opening #1 but to answer your question it is easily one of the best new series of the year.

Detective and Red Hood are actually my favorite of the bat books. I personally like Red hood more than Detective.

TheFlow

Banned
I think people are going to start turning on IvX when it starts giving the Inhumans a larger focus good or bad.

I think people are going to start turning when fan favorites do out of character things to keep the plot moving for the sake of it.

OML really is the most logical one.

Sandfox

I think people are going to start turning when fan favorites do out of character things to keep the plot moving for the sake of it.

OML really is the most logical one.

Given the history of both sides that would be pretty hard to do.

I would say the other characters were just as logical, but have different agendas.

TheFlow

Banned
Given the history of both sides that would be pretty hard to do.

I would say the other characters were just as logical, but have different agendas.

did we not read death of X? that book is all kinds of illogical. hell cyclops being outcasted and a terrorist is illogical. Beast is illogical. Storm was illogical. Xavier's mutants are like the slowest when it comes to taking action before it is too late in all of Marvel. Like AVX I expect full on types of fuckery. Especially if it ends with the inhumans in space.

Like I said, I don't expect much but good action panels towards the end.

Sandfox

did we not read death of X? that book is all kinds of illogical. hell cyclops being outcasted and a terrorist is illogical. Beast is illogical. Storm was illogical. Xavier's mutants are like the slowest when it comes to taking action before it is too late in all of Marvel. Like AVX I expect full on types of fuckery. Especially if it ends with the inhumans in space.

Like I said, I don't expect much but good action panels towards the end.

I was referring to IvX exclusively.
With Beast, his current issue is that he knows the Inhumans have plans in case they have to fight the mutants and thinks it's smarter to just run, and I wouldn't exactly call that illogical.

TheFlow

Banned
"In a series of now-deleted tweets, preserved online on Bleeding Cool, Dillon criticised the writing in another DC series, Wonder Woman: Earth One, and complained when DC approved future volumes of Earth One while he was waiting to hear about the future of his own series."

you don't criticize another book under the same company you work for. at least not for the world to see.

"In a series of now-deleted tweets, preserved online on Bleeding Cool, Dillon criticised the writing in another DC series, Wonder Woman: Earth One, and complained when DC approved future volumes of Earth One while he was waiting to hear about the future of his own series."

you don't criticize another book under the same company you work for. at least not for the world to see.

Pretty much. If he had genuine beef, he should have taken it to DC himself. If they weren't listening and he genuinely didn't want to work for them any longer, well that's a different matter. Given their comments about unexpected loss of income etc. though it doesn't look like Dillon believed their partnership with DC to have reach an impasse though when he dropped those tweets. Just a shame really, as the art is so wonderful. Obviously, this is going on what's being reported. Hopefully a professional lesson learned about what larger publishers expect going forward.

Owzers

I am sad that we lost a great book due to some stupid tweets. Maybe people should think before tweeting.
It can help you become president though, worth the risk.

I'm excited to see suicide squad tonight and still blah about having to wait until next week to get my Harley holiday statue.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
god damn that 50% off Image deal on comixology...

haul:

Southern Bastards 3 and up

Revival 39 and up

Spread 3 and up

Postal 4 and up

all of Copperhead

going to be a very good holiday comics reading splurge =')

Nice!

Good timing on Copperhead too. Your wait between arcs should only be 3 or 4 months instead of 17 or 18 months.

Top Bottom