• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Sandfox

Sam Wilson continues to impress me with the issues they tackle and I really enjoyed the newest issue. I also like how the recent issues have been focusing on
the supporting cast and how they support Sam during a difficult time.

The relationship with the Venom symbiote and the new host is really interesting and a nice change from the norm. The new host is also growing on me as we learn more about him. I'll be sticking with this book for now.

I doubt the book is going anywhere. Artists can change.

The trade sales for that book are really high based on the numbers I have seen.

Comics Alliance ranks Transformers: More than meets the eye as their #1 Sci fi comic series of 2016, beating Saga

qPhSCMi.jpg

Well deserved. It's been an incredible journey over these past few years.

Watch Dogs 2 is really fun but I kinda feel like it shoulda ended five hours ago. A lot of the main quests are starting to feel like busy work

Comicwise I finished Scarlet Witch. It actually got a bit better after the Emerald Warlock plot, with the short stories, but that's still like 4 decent issues out of 13.

Dusknoir

Last weekend I got my DSBC package in and I've been reading them.

Black Monday Murders #4 : I had to re-read 1 though 3 to remember the smaller details I missed or forgot on the first reading. It is one of my favorite comics this year. It's great go get it in trade when it comes out. This is 5 bucks a book justified.
Also the lawyer's last name in issue 3 was Wright like that Capcom character.

Snot Girl #4 : It was great. Shit is about to blow up in Lottie's face.
Doctor's really creepy. Wonder if it will lead to anything.

Deadman Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #1-2 : Pretty good. The art is great. It's a ghost murder mystery where Deadman is trapped in the Mansion after being called to it. Now to has to rely on the one person who can see ghost to save him. I never read a book with Deadman in it and I'm happy to say I will read of him if he shows up anywhere. The physical format of this book is great. 54 pages, square bound and only one ad. 6 bucks a book justified.

Midnighter and Apollo #2-3 : I love these characters. I wish this was a ongoing. Midnighter goes to Hell to save this boyfriend and along the way they meet some weird cool characters. This book also expands Apollo's character so that he is not only Midnighter's boyfriend. Really hope they join JLA.

Mother Panic #1 :Decent start. I really like the villains in this book.
One is super upset about his fuck buddy guard liking his "Art Piece" and the other is crazy art bitch. Don't know her deal yet but I like her set up.
Ms. Paige aka Mother Panic is also pretty good. She like three move from being Bruce Wayne Playboy/ Batman Dark Knight. She is Kim Kardashian / Avenger. I like this concept.

Cave Carson #2 : Also pretty good. Funny action movie sort of comic. Love the direction it's going. I'm pretty sure the work that this artist Michael Avon Oeming in putting into Cave drafts anything he done for Powers. I thought that book was only ok looking but Cave Carson...wow did he step up.

Shade the Changing Girl #2-3 : Great book. 2nd best Young Animal book. I loved it.

Doom Patrol #3 : Best YA Book. 10 out of 10.

I got more books to review but I do that later.

Sandfox

I liked the newest issue of Uncanny X-Men. It was a really good tie-in and was really creative in my eyes. I don't know too much about a number of the characters in this issue so I can't speak too much on how they were written though.

Rick Remender with the deep thoughts on Twitter:

I wonder when & how comic readers were trained to focus so entirely on just the opening of a series. So often the juicy bits come much later.

Not talking about judging the book, even books they love this year they'll forget about next year. The focus perpetually on new launches.

I guess everyone misunderstood me. I'm saying even books people love, after vol. 1 their excitement/focus moves to the new batch of vol 1s

Imagine the Claremont/Byrne X-Men in today's world. The big Phoenix build happens like 25 issues in. Would be ignored by modern fandom?

Daredevil Born Again comes from like 6 years of Frank Miller building Daredevil. Today would anyone still be paying attention at that point?

I'm wondering if the new readership prefer 10 issues then done. Though trade sales seem to indicate people prefer ongoing.

I think it is hard to dedicate yourself to a book if you know that in the long-run the writer and/or artist is gonna change. Story arcs also need to have more meat to it then just a random story involving cameos. We need more long epics like Dark Angel Saga or Court of Owls.

Hagi

Remember when Marvel was slapping big #1's on issues that were just the first issue of new story arcs? Such is Marvel's love for the #1.

I remember last week.

I think it is hard to dedicate yourself to a book if you know that in the long-run the writer and/or artist is gonna change. Story arcs also need to have more meat to it then just a random story involving cameos. We need more long epics like Dark Angel Saga or Court of Owls.

A lot of this stuff is flimsy and yet still somehow suffers from decompression.

Sandfox

Books are still getting large runs by the one writer.

I think DC and Marvel have the most trouble with that kind of commitment to a book because they're constantly trying to redesign and rebuild.

Hagi

Is it? I thought they stopped that silliness.

Nah Sam Cap had a big number 1 and a few other books as well afaik for whatever different new thing we are doing this quarter. Seems like they are doing it per arc now but then Hydra Cap has the weird Marvel Now logo as well.

Ross61

Nah Sam Cap had a big number 1 and a few other books as well afaik for whatever different new thing we are doing this quarter. Seems like they are doing it per arc now but then Hydra Cap has the weird Marvel Now logo as well.
The direct market was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

I wonder which company is gonna go all digital first.

The Mighty Captain Marvel was ok but the art was sooooo bland. #1 looks like an improvement and more indicative of what the series will actually look like though

Top Bottom