• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

Hagi

Marvel pls

tumblr_ns5wlthDol1qkq3ido3_400.jpg

The Mighty Captain Marvel was ok but the art was sooooo bland. #1 looks like an improvement and more indicative of what the series will actually look like though

It was fine which is what I expected. I really dislike the in-universe push for Carol and how totally awe-inspiring they consider her to be but at least she isn't huffing her own farts yet. The end was nice if a tad cheesy.

mreddie

Hellcat: Vamp Jubilee wears a helmet and mitts as Patsy tries to prevent her from doing vampire things

Venom: So Lee wants to be...a pimp?

Sweet Christmas: Krampus

Sandfox

I really like the new Captain Marvel book. Stohl is taking the book in a direction more in line of what I want from the character. It looks like we're going to pretend the memory wipe never happened and actually get to have a Carol that isn't perfect.

I really enjoyed Gamora as well.

Sex-Lord had more action than I was expecting and it made me laugh.

diaspora

I'm not sure what the point of the Captain Marvel book is, or Carol's direction in general.
She's was literally wrong throughout Civil War II and somehow ends up killing the guy that was right? It's as bizarre as the Death of X nonsense.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Haha, I think this is the trajectory almost everyone followed with the book! I think it's cool he just shot for the moon on whatever he was feeling and satisfied himself artistically but it clearly didn't work for actual readers of his work. The previews did look consistently fantastic though and I'll like to get around to picking it up for that reason. You've got to think he's made something just a little more commercial this time, for lack of a better word. I actually hadn't heard anything about the new book though, is there stuff out there on it or is this is being announced pretty much?
This was the announcement.

Intersect was very strange. Really throws you into a weird world with with weird character situations and exceedingly little explanation. Interesting and pretty, but calling it impenetrable is very fair.

It's no surprise that Fawkes is saying Underwinter will be easier to follow.

Jhoan

Read through The Fix Volume 1 earlier today. It's damn good. I couldn't help but think that it would make a good show on Netflix or a cable channel because the stuff that happens in the comics wouldn't fly on network TV. The violence sure but not the raunchy humor and constant cussing. I like how the protagonists are a pair of unlikable assholes who are trying to score big. The antagonist is also well written and menacing. I don't want to spoil too much but it's a fun read. I love the art a ton and want to try to emulate it.

I might end up writing an analysis article on the first issue since the entire volume would be tougher and longer form.

Hagi

I'm not sure what the point of the Captain Marvel book is, or Carol's direction in general.
She's was literally wrong throughout Civil War II and somehow ends up killing the guy that was right? It's as bizarre as the Death of X nonsense.

It's about how hard it is to be on top. She won and even though people are falling over-themselves for her she knows shit ain't pretty. I think the in-universe praise could be toned down quite quite considerably because it feels like she's in the matrix. I'm not sure what road her inner conflict about everything is going to take but it's more interesting than whatever the last 10 relaunches of her book have been.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Read Hawkeye, mostly liked the Veronica Mars vibe they had going on, but as a person that lives in Santa Monica, it annoys me a little that they set it in Venice and then didn't do anything with actual locations. There isn't even a college in Venice.

Christian

All right, Comics-GAF, all the praise pushed me to grab The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl OGN from Barnes & Noble. I had a coupon. This will be my first exposure to Squirrel Girl, and I have great hypes. I'm saving it for this weekend. Gonna be an awesome long weekend of comics, games, and NBA. Woooooo! It's my last Christmas alone with my wife. She's pregnant and the baby is due in March. Really don't know how my life and hobby time is going to change, but I'm gonna live it up for now.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
All right, Comics-GAF, all the praise pushed me to grab The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl OGN from Barnes & Noble. I had a coupon. This will be my first exposure to Squirrel Girl, and I have great hypes. I'm saving it for this weekend. Gonna be an awesome long weekend of comics, games, and NBA. Woooooo! It's my last Christmas alone with my wife. She's pregnant and the baby is due in March. Really don't know how my life and hobby time is going to change, but I'm gonna live it up for now.

Congrats!

On getting Squirrel Girl. Great book. Check out the series if you like it, it's more of the same.

Dalek

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I love it.

mreddie

CBR forums are funny.

"MARVEL BOOKS AREN'T SELLING, GIVE THE RIGHTS TO IDW!"
"WHY IS MOON GIRL STILL NOT CANNED BUT A FORCE IZ"
"NO ONE CARES ABOUT SILK ANYMORE"

ElNarez

Banned
So basically, people don't have the patience for a slow burn opening? Because I agree with that. I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Man, yeah, that's a thing. If only I could think of a current example of a book that's clearly playing the long game and thus baffling most of the people in here to illustrate it though...

Sandfox

Mighty Captain Marvel: Yep, inner demons. Also, enjoyed the Karolina Easter egg.

I placed my faith in Stohl based on a single interview and so far I'm satisfied.

Man, yeah, that's a thing. If only I could think of a current example of a book that's clearly playing the long game and thus baffling most of the people in here to illustrate it though...
There's a difference between playing the long game and putting out a meh book, though that book is probably an example of both.

Coin toss. You are going to enjoy or hate the batmobile and your opinion of the game will follow

I enjoyed it

I already played and beaten the game. The Batmobile is actually my favorite thing about the game. I traded it in months ago but now I want to know if the DLC is worth it cuz otherwise there's a $10 version without the DLC.

PsychBat!

Banned
Gamora was fun. It is funny that there are two contradictory plot points in the Marvel U. One comes from corporate synergy and the other is steeped in history.

Shucks, I didn't like any of the new Marvel books I tried this week, and I had high hopes for all three.

Gamora was the best of the three because it was gorgeous, but I thought the dialogue was often goofy, even irritating at times, and I'm not that interested in seeing where it's going.

Captain Marvel, I'm just...done. I give up. It's astonishing that after everything she went through in CWII, Carol is still so flat, so shallow.

Star-Lord was boring. Definitely dropping Cap and SL, maybe all three.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'd give Gamora one more try.

Imo, if they go with Gamora
raising the baby
then I'm out.

I also don't understand the hate for Cloonan's Punisher.

Owzers

I finally watched the roman reigns Kevin Owens main event from Roadblock:The Last of Us, I don't know what I expected/gif.

This was the announcement.

Intersect was very strange. Really throws you into a weird world with with weird character situations and exceedingly little explanation. Interesting and pretty, but calling it impenetrable is very fair.

It's no surprise that Fawkes is saying Underwinter will be easier to follow.

Awesome! Very interested. If I had been paying more attention, he had put up a few WIP teasers on his instagram lately. Sadly anytime I look there I end up just checking out Tyrant's Liz commision he's got up there. I'm sure there will be more out there soon but as it stands that solicit is very appealing to me.

That Gamora book's art is incredible man, really great. I don't know much about the writer but looks stunning.

I already played and beaten the game. The Batmobile is actually my favorite thing about the game. I traded it in months ago but now I want to know if the DLC is worth it cuz otherwise there's a $10 version without the DLC.
I liked all the DLC. The challenges are fun and I liked the special episodes. The Batgirl DLC and the extra Most Wanted missions are easily the best parts of the DLC.

Invincible Iron Man #2 was fantastic. I don't want RiRi to ever go away, she is one of my favorite new characters this year. This book is light and fun one moment, brutal and unflinching the next. It is the whole package. The Iron Man books are in a great place right now.

I am surprised reactions to Ultimates #2 have been on the negative side. This was effectively a follow-up to one of the best issues of the last run. There is a lot to unpack here, as Ewing seems to enjoy using these cosmic entities as actors for meta-commentary. Of all four of these issues I am reflecting on this one the most.

Venom #2 is kinda crappy. I wouldn't have a problem with Venom being a villain book if the story was any good but none of the gangster stuff works and the new guy is not an enjoyable character to read on any level. I'm just not interested in this. Dropped.

Occupy Avengers #2 is a complete disaster, a misfire of its premise that wipes clean any goodwill generated by the first issue. From the wooden and forced delivery of the horrific problems confronting Indigenous Americans that sounds like a Wikipedia article, to Hawkeye complimenting Red Wolf on his eloquence (twice) while steadfastly refusing to refer to him by his actual name for the entire issue because he doesn't want to appear racist, this is one spectacularly tone deaf comic that fails to provide a compelling argument for its existence. The dialogue is often excruciating, like when Hawkeye stupidly boasts to Red Wolf that the limp yo mama joke he just lobbed at one of their captors will give them a tactical advantage (incredibly,
this line has no payoff
). Or when Hydro Man angrily demands Hawkeye call him Hydro Man while Hawkeye throws the shade of a 1960s Spider-Man comic with zingers like slip-n-slide and wet willy. Mess. Total mess. Nuke from orbit. Dropped.

"wait until issue #20 it'll get good he's playing the long game just keep paying $3-4 a month and eventually the story will happen just wait"

wait until you suck my dick, imma gonna go read Stray Bullets and Squirrel Girl instead

edit: I liked Hawkeye #1 and current Moon Knight, even though they are clearly just aping the creative approaches of the Fraction and Ellis runs retrospectively.

Man, I really hope the rumors/leaks of the final CW2 issue next week aren't correct.
Tony not dying despite everyone in-universe thinking so and instead goes into a coma while his body rebuilds itself so he can be back for the next relaunch, 8 pages of just previews to the next 8 events of the next 2 years...

Man, I really hope the rumors/leaks of the final CW2 issue next week aren't correct.
Tony not dying despite everyone in-universe thinking so and instead goes into a coma while his body rebuilds itself so he can be back for the next relaunch, 8 pages of just previews to the next 8 events of the next 2 years...

That sounds too Marvel not to be true.

Sandfox

Well that's one way to put a negative spin on a rumor. You also misinterpreted part of it.

Top Bottom