• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2016. Motor Girl is my new Motor Crush

I remember Snyder tweeting about it four months ago. Can't find anything more recent than that

Did a quick google, the most recent thing I can find is from about 2 months ago, which is still a bit, but I feel like they're letting people know it's happening and what the rough schedule is, just not at solicitation point yet.
Click (it's a bleedingcool link btw)

Boogiepop

Okay, damn, that DC linewide sale coming in with it's 60% and applying to part of the Rebirth stuff was enough to hit me hard. My poor, poor wallet. Caught up on a few ongoing titles, and then bought a good number of big old runs that I had wanted.

I have now spent waaaaaaaaay too much on Comixology this past year (though admittedly chopped my "comics I want" list down to a minuscule fraction of what it once was). So I'm going on freaking hard lockdown this time, and shall not let Comixology sales tempt me to go off budget again. AKA I'm firmly set that I'll just stick with my normal pull-list still (since I'm indeed keeping up with reading those just fine), and if a sale comes along for A: Claremont's New Mutants (To complement the Uncanny run so I can read all that together and finish it off) or B: general new Marvel stuff to let me catch up with the two Captain America titles and Ms. Marvel, then I'll do those. But literally nothing else. (Which admittedly sounds kind of weak, but I just dumped a crapload of money out of nowhere in this DC sale, so it's a hell of a lot more firm than I have been).

And I'm staying firm on the lock until I catch up on my freaking massive backlog from all the money I spent this year, which should take me a good while. AKA I've dumped a ton of money on these things, so I better actually read the damn things before I consider inflating the problem further.

Okay, damn, that DC linewide sale coming in with it's 60% and applying to part of the Rebirth stuff was enough to hit me hard. My poor, poor wallet. Caught up on a few ongoing titles, and then bought a good number of big old runs that I had wanted.

I have now spent waaaaaaaaay too much on Comixology this past year (though admittedly chopped my "comics I want" list down to a minuscule fraction of what it once was). So I'm going on freaking hard lockdown this time, and shall not let Comixology sales tempt me to go off budget again. AKA I'm firmly set that I'll just stick with my normal pull-list still (since I'm indeed keeping up with reading those just fine), and if a sale comes along for A: Claremont's New Mutants (To complement the Uncanny run so I can read all that together and finish it off) or B: general new Marvel stuff to let me catch up with the two Captain America titles and Ms. Marvel, then I'll do those. But literally nothing else. (Which admittedly sounds kind of weak, but I just dumped a crapload of money out of nowhere in this DC sale, so it's a hell of a lot more firm than I have been).

And I'm staying firm on the lock until I catch up on my freaking massive backlog from all the money I spent this year, which should take me a good while. AKA I've dumped a ton of money on these things, so I better actually read the damn things before I consider inflating the problem further.
Since the movie now has a title, expect a New Mutants sale when actors start getting announced.

mreddie

>:

C0YotDVXEAAR-uf.jpg

Hold the line! A smart move. In reality you can basically count on thanksgiving and the holidays to get all your discount comic sales done. Marvel being a wild card.

Any notable pickups from the DC sale?

Owzers

i joked about digital statues before but digital comics are a lot like digital statues, just a screenshot of something that actually exists.

There's still time to fight this and make comics great again by only purchasing real comics. You don't have to give in to digital just because they don't take up space and look great, cost less...just tell yourself it's not worth it in order to have a real comic on the shelf or in the closet for the next twenty years.

arkon

Is Manhattan Projects ever going to return, or has Hickman explicitly said he's given it up?

Yup. Slowly moving.

Seems like they might have plans to return to it but who knows when that will be.

Hickman said:
Nick and I could do Manhattan Projects forever. (But we're actually taking a break to do a new thing next).

link

edit:shamelessly stolen from bleedingcool

Boogiepop

Hold the line! A smart move. In reality you can basically count on thanksgiving and the holidays to get all your discount comic sales done. Marvel being a wild card.

Any notable pickups from the DC sale?

Went for Johns JSA, Dixon Detective Comics and Birds of Prey (I'd like to grab his other Batman family sort of things, but for right now I've spent enough), Simone Birds of Prey and more recent Secret Six run, Planetary, Brubaker Catwoman, Rucka Detective comics, and then a few odds and ends (Ivy and Harley, the rest of Sheriff of Babylon, etc) and stuff I was missing/didn't own and wanted to reread (Knightfall, Kingdom Come, etc).

And then for the modern catching up I'm now up to date on the Hanna Barbera stuff, Batman, Detective Comics, All Star Batman, Deathstroke, and Shade the Changing Girl. So yeah, I probably need to be a little more restrained with my spending, as that all added up to an amount high enough that I'm too embarrassed to actually say it.

TheFlow

Banned
bought more than 100 image issues alone o_O. just found out there is a oni sale..fuck all of scott pilgrim for 30 bucks and the amazing Bunker series for 19. damn it CMX!

will post my final damage, plus summaries of what I read over the week. think I might end up pulling another 100 issues read next week.

bought more than 100 image issues alone o_O. just found out there is a oni sale..fuck all of scott pilgrim for 30 bucks and the amazing Bunker series for 19. damn it CMX!

will post my final damage, plus summaries of what I read over the week. think I might end up pulling another 100 issues read next week.

Digital comics were the real threat all along. Total wallet annihilation.

ElNarez

Banned

Look, we accept that, we then have to say that Suicide Squad does for the modern tentpole superhero action movie what Tarantino's The Hateful Eight does for the classic western.

And then we have to agree on the fact Tom King's Batman blends slow-burn study of Batman both as a character and as a fictional construct with big blockbuster action setpieces that give David Finch and Mikel Janin a chance to shine as top-shelf artists.

And then, well, dogs and cats living together, MASSIVE HYSTERIA.

Went for Johns JSA, Dixon Detective Comics and Birds of Prey (I'd like to grab his other Batman family sort of things, but for right now I've spent enough), Simone Birds of Prey and more recent Secret Six run, Planetary, Brubaker Catwoman, Rucka Detective comics, and then a few odds and ends (Ivy and Harley, the rest of Sheriff of Babylon, etc) and stuff I was missing/didn't own and wanted to reread (Knightfall, Kingdom Come, etc).

And then for the modern catching up I'm now up to date on the Hanna Barbera stuff, Batman, Detective Comics, All Star Batman, Deathstroke, and Shade the Changing Girl. So yeah, I probably need to be a little more restrained with my spending, as that all added up to an amount high enough that I'm too embarrassed to actually say it.
You got some great comics there. Look forward to reading your impressions of them!

I like the Marvel First Issues sale. That is a clever idea and I hope they keep doing it for future waves.

Sadly, given what a rough start they had this time around, it kinda reeks of desperation. Maybe I'm wrong though, did they do that last year?

Edit: Oh it's not even the whole wave. Too bad. I guess a lot of them just came out though. Well, of what they're offering, I recommend Renew Your Vows if you like Peter and MJ, Avengers if you liked the last volume by Waid, and Thanos if you're not completely sick of him. I strongly recommend Invincible Iron Man and Foolkiller to everyone. Stay away from Occupy.

Sandfox

While this week's Occupy was meh, I liked the first issue, so I'm going to give the third issue a chance to see which it takes more after, especially since
Nighthawk
will be in it.

I like the Marvel First Issues sale. That is a clever idea and I hope they keep doing it for future waves.

Sadly, given what a rough start they had this time around, it kinda reeks of desperation. Maybe I'm wrong though, did they do that last year?

Edit: Oh it's not even the whole wave. Too bad. I guess a lot of them just came out though. Well, of what they're offering, I recommend Renew Your Vows if you like Peter and MJ, Avengers if you liked the last volume by Waid, and Thanos if you're not completely sick of him. I strongly recommend Invincible Iron Man and Foolkiller to everyone. Stay away from Occupy.

The way they are doing it is that at the middle of every month the #1s of the previous month go on sale. Last month we had a similar sale with books like Champions and Solo.

Also, to add onto your Avengers recommendation, I would recommend it to people who want a more classic style Avengers book.

Top Bottom