• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
for $30 i'd totally get that X-Force omni just to see what's up. i can't justify that though because I found the X-Statix omni for $30 and i don't have that.

Lol. Don't tempt me. If I buy it, I'll feel compelled to actually read it. The idea of having almost a thousand pages of 90s craziness does have its appeal though. Haha
Maybe sometime when I don't have too many other great things I still want to buy. Haha. For the same $30, I could buy a Criminal Deluxe Edition, Hellboy Library Edition, Fear Agent Library Edition, Remender's Punisher omnibus, Aaron's Wolverine omnibus, etc.

But yeah, man. Get that X-Statix omnibus.

Ok, this is probably the stupidest question, but I'm curious about Daredevil's nickname. I've never read any Daredevil, though eventually I'll read vol 1 of the current series, which I have sitting on my shelf. So.. The Man Without Fear. Is it just a cool sounding nickname for a guy who beats up baddies? Or is he genuinely fearless in character?

Ok, this is probably the stupidest question, but I'm curious about Daredevil's nickname. I've never read any Daredevil, though eventually I'll read vol 1 of the current series, which I have sitting on my shelf. So.. The Man Without Fear. Is it just a cool sounding nickname for a guy who beats up baddies? Or is he genuinely fearless in character?

Well, he is blind, so everything he does has to be in spite of fear.

arkon

It's because his costume is a red suit with horns. You can't get more fearless than that.

His Deathstroke run was arguably the best in the characters history

Omg Rob its you

So there's a comics-gaf meet happening? When are you guys all booking your tickets to Scotland then??

It's funny to see the 90s chat come up. Obviously it's all terrible but I have boxes and boxes of that stuff in my parent's loft, from when I was a kid. Clone Wars, AoA....I even have full runs of stuff like Youngblood strikefile with Jae Lee on art in the first few issues and Prophet with Dixon and Platt haha. And New Men, with Eric Stephenson writing ha! It had it's place I guess, we all have to start somewhere and for kids at least. Not enough stupid muscley pouchey superhero books for kids any more.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've got a 20 hour train ride tomorrow (and a week later on the way back) and wanted to know of some suggestions of a good series I can comfortably dig into and potentially finish. One thing I was leaning towards was Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy since I loved six-gun gorilla. I've also never read Astonishing X-Men, but I'm not sure if that's available digitially. I was also thinking Scalped but I'm holding out hope that they will release a deluxe edition, as in general I prefer to read physical but I'll be reading this on my HD+.

Anyone have any suggestions? For taste, here are some of my favorites: Blankets, Unwritten, Criminal, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Aaron's Thor, Zero, Lazarus, Nowhere Men, Sex Criminals, Trillium...

Personally I would find a cheaper way to spend 20 hours :p some of the series you've been recommended would cost you $100 to catch up on!

I say read a word-book. Maybe about comics. Ten Cent Plague or Supergods.

Tizoc

Batman 28
Ummm WTF is up with that ending? OK issue IMO

She-Hulk #1
Good issue, looking forward to more.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise 26
Hmm rather rushed in the end but overall some good moments.
Rodimus reminding Orion of why Optimus Prime is so great was fnatastic, loved that page and it embodied everything about the character.
The final parts were interesting
it just HAS to be about Unicron, the character hasn't been brought up since the IDW comic series started near a decade ago.
That or something else entirely.
These 2 panels were great though (prob. a spoiler?)
Dat face.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Batman 28
Ummm WTF is up with that ending? OK issue IMO

She-Hulk #1
Good issue, looking forward to more.

Transformers: Robots in Disguise 26
Hmm rather rushed in the end but overall some good moments.
Rodimus reminding Orion of why Optimus Prime is so great was fnatastic, loved that page and it embodied everything about the character.
The final parts were interesting
it just HAS to be about Unicron, the character hasn't been brought up since the IDW comic series started near a decade ago.
That or something else entirely.
These 2 panels were great though (prob. a spoiler?)
Dat face.

Thats actually why the IDW's transformers are so amazing in my opinion.
They haven't even hinted at Unicron, and its been really interesting. Though it would be really cool to find out Unicrons is who is running shockwave from behind the scenes, I really don't think he is working for anyone at this point. Also you got to give them credit for flushing Megatron's character to the point him helping win the war makes sense

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Matt Murdoch was bullied and called a Daredevil as a child.

Just read the first Afterlife with Archie I had sitting on a pile and it was pretty good. I'm sure there is some nostalgia in there as I grew up reading Archie comics. Anyone know if there is a planned end or if it will just keep going? If it is a reasonable length series that they have planned out then I'll subscribe for sure but I just don't have much faith in an open ended story to read it very month.

This is my shit,, great covers/art/story/colors/paper/francavilla:)

I don't know how planned it is, I believe the first arc is 5 issues. Seems to be doing pretty well with all these 2nd printings coming out. Hopefully it keeps up for awhile and stays strong.

Messi

I started back into comics last July with 2 trades and an issue of Deadpool (the iron Fist and Luke cage one) now I pull 40-50 books a month. This hobby sure is a grower.

Megatron is so great. He's still a bastard, but you can tell he does care about 'his' people. He started off with the best intentions (kinda) but after a million years of war things have got somewhat blurred.
Shockwave must be planning something HUGE for it to lead to (solicits spoilers)
both the Autobots returning to Earth and a Megatron led Lost Light urgently looking for the Knights.
But I doubt Unicron is behind this.

HAHA! ^ (messi),, well put.

Just read the first 4 issues of DrumHellar,, took a couple issues to get some sort of an idea of what the hells going on . lol
Pretty cool tho, decent art some cool colors, weird but interesting story.

HAHA! ^ (messi),, well put.

Just read the first 4 issues of DrumHellar,, took a couple issues to get some sort of an idea of what the hells going on . lol
Pretty cool tho, decent art some cool colors, weird but interesting story.
I have no idea what is going on or what the narrative tension is supposed to be...

monome

omg at that Batman
finally! I don't want to go back to Zero Year

I don't understand how one can like #28 over any Zero Year issue published.

And I was a hater. And I love those future spoliers etc...but I don't know. It wasn't lame but rather uncalled for and unsuprising and not gripping.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

And I was a hater. And I love those future spoliers etc...but I don't know. It wasn't lame but rather uncalled for and unsuprising and not gripping.

I will say that I definitely loved that page with Bluebird hooking to that grappling line with her boot. I know the point of that issue was what was in the safe, but the real point is that Bluebird will hopefully be a well-developed, great new Batman character.

As for its release interrupting the best arc of Snyder's Batman so far...yeah, not a good move. Eternal is already a cash-grab with its weekly status, not necessary for a full-price sneak peek.

monome

I will say that I definitely loved that page with Bluebird hooking to that grappling line with her boot. I know the point of that issue was what was in the safe, but the real point is that Bluebird will hopefully be a well-developed, great new Batman character.

As for its release interrupting the best arc of Snyder's Batman so far...yeah, not a good move. Eternal is already a cash-grab with its weekly status, not necessary for a full-price sneak peek.

I agree with you.

Bluebird should be a fun character as long as Snyder is her tutor.
She might be his Damian.

OMG are there any of these Jenny Parks variants for other books? First time I'm seeing them.

Superior_Spider_Man_27.NOW_Jenny_Parks_Animal_Variant.jpg
Thor_God_of_Thunder_19.NOW_Jenny_Parks_Animal_Variant.jpg

Click

I don't think this is the second spider book people were wanting. Slott/Ramon Perez, year one thing that's obviously going to lay in some driving stuff from his early years. Maybe introduce some similar threads to the new movie? Anyway, seems a waste of Slott's time. He keeps saying in his surfer interviews how little time he's got, how busy he is etc.. I can only guess this will set up big things for his new amazing book, or it's kind of random.

monome

Click

I don't think this is the second spider book people were wanting. Slott/Ramon Perez, year one thing that's obviously going to lay in some driving stuff from his early years. Maybe introduce some similar threads to the new movie? Anyway, seems a waste of Slott's time. He keeps saying in his surfer interviews how little time he's got. I can only guess this will set up big things for his new amazing book, or it's kind of random.

shows how inspired writers are when it comes to Peter Parker.

Yeah, I was considering picking up ASM with #1 but not if they're just going back to treading tired old ground. I'll probably just hold out for the Superior Venom and Goblin Nation TPBs and call it quits with Spidey again for now, was a fun trip while it lasted.

Hopefully they get Slott off Parker at some point and we can get some fresh ideas in there.

I didn't read the skeleton guy issues in Batman yet, the ones before them lost my interest. I was going to wait until its finished and read it all together because its got that whole I don't remember what happened the month before thing going on for me.

Also it has Nguyen. I like his art more.

monome

I didn't read the skeleton guy issues in Batman yet, the ones before them lost my interest. I was going to wait until its finished and read it all together because its got that whole I don't remember what happened the month before thing going on for me.

to each his own.

I think Capullo has done incredibly good work in order to push Batman as DC #1 flagship series. while managing the ethos of the Nu52 (more modern, more digital). and he's kept the schedule...

Click

I don't think this is the second spider book people were wanting. Slott/Ramon Perez, year one thing that's obviously going to lay in some driving stuff from his early years. Maybe introduce some similar threads to the new movie? Anyway, seems a waste of Slott's time. He keeps saying in his surfer interviews how little time he's got, how busy he is etc.. I can only guess this will set up big things for his new amazing book, or it's kind of random.
If this is half as good as Untold Tales of Spider-Man itll be worth it. Perez ensures itll at least be pretty

Messi

I wonder if we will get to see what Capullos Selina/Catwoman looks like in the regular Batman book. The best I could find is this:

388907_289154904469084_173655342685708_913700_1692931223_n.jpeg

Which imo is fantastic but I'd love to see what his Selina is like. I'm sure it would be better than Nguyens from Eternal. Not that his is bad I'm just not a fan of it. His bluebird looked cool though.

Messi

These were all fantastic just a bit before my time buying Batman. I'd love the Harley(even though the issue was dogshit)/Batgirl and Selina ones :(

DoFDieCut.jpg

If this is half as good as Untold Tales of Spider-Man itll be worth it. Perez ensures itll at least be pretty

It definitely makes sense, in context of the movie. Come may they'll have one peter book, with the baggage of superior but at least with Elektro, and another peter book set when he was the same age as in the movie, and presumably with plot threads seeded that will lead into the present day amazing book giving readers a hook to follow on to that book. This is a good idea. Just with all the rumours of new spidey 2099 and superior books (and in the face of venom and scarlet spider gone, they'll probably happen), I get the feeling people will be annoyed today when they read "new spidey book announced" and this is it haha. Perez is an amazing artist too.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
to each his own.

I think Capullo has done incredibly good work in order to push Batman as DC #1 flagship series. while managing the ethos of the Nu52 (more modern, more digital). and he's kept the schedule...

Capullo is the best artist currently working at DC. The level of quality he hits every month, with no significant delays, is absurd. Preferences can veer wildly on favorite artist there currently (I fucking love Gleason and Sorrentino) but Capullo demands respect. His work ethic is unparalleled. I kept buying Batman because of him, not Snyder, through the end of owls and a large portion of Death of the Family. Zero Year is that team's magnum opus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom