• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Owzers

Is Johns DC's Bendis?

I debated this from time to time, but Johns' doesn't have Bendis-talk where everyone is Spider-Man levels of quippy. Johns' Justice League is standard superhero stuff, getting the job done and nothing more. Johns still has better plot movement than Bendis too.

Is Johns DC's Bendis?
I don't think so. Bendis could never write a team book well but all he wants to do is write team books and hijacks lines for years.

I think Johns work has suffered some once he gained more responsibilities in DC outside of just writing. I think he's more distracted than "lost it".

People like Loeb, Robinson have lost it.

Edit: also johns last issue of green lantern is the best last issue of an epic run ever. He essentially ended the GL story so well DC should have taken a year off from GL to give the next crew a chance.

fauxtrot

Banned
For all you wrestling fans out there, check out Andre the Giant: Life and Legend by Box Brown... I read it over the weekend and it was an absolute delight. Andre is one of my favorites, so maybe I'm a little bit biased, but I think it would be enjoyable for just about anyone.

51%2BUYnb9SwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Zombine

Banned
"Wow that Dave Gibbons artwork is beautiful. Angus, do me a favor and fire up MS Paint so we can get this book out on time."

Tizoc

For all you wrestling fans out there, check out Andre the Giant: Life and Legend by Box Brown... I read it over the weekend and it was an absolute delight. Andre is one of my favorites, so maybe I'm a little bit biased, but I think it would be enjoyable for just about anyone.

I'll look it up thanks.

I've heard nothing but good things about this, when I'm in a reading mood I'll give it a look!
It's nowhere near as bad as this second trade.

The art in the Marvel now series is wonderful. This is such a let down.

Like.. Wat
Her face is melting :(

Loeb, Never forget.

There is a scene right after that where a shadowy figure picks up something off Strange's body and leaves. Did they ever follow up on that?

I assumed that this strange was actually an imposter or something and the real stephen came to retrieve his stuff

Calcium

Banned
After reading the Fables deluxe editions 1-9 I've decided to try some other non-superhero comics. I have already ordered Black Science and The Wake since I enjoy Rick Remender and Scott Snyder so I figure I'll enjoy them. I hear Saga is great, but I don't know if I'd like reading a love story in comic form. Anyone have any suggestions?

PsychBat!

Banned
There is a scene right after that where a shadowy figure picks up something off Strange's body and leaves. Did they ever follow up on that?

I assumed that this strange was actually an imposter or something and the real stephen came to retrieve his stuff
This Strange was the son of Stephen Strange Sr. And no, they never did reveal what happened afterwards. I think it's for the best.

Messi

After reading the Fables deluxe editions 1-9 I've decided to try some other non-superhero comics. I have already ordered Black Science and The Wake since I enjoy Rick Remender and Scott Snyder so I figure I'll enjoy them. I hear Saga is great, but I don't know if I'd like reading a love story in comic form. Anyone have any suggestions?

Saga is fantastic

Saga
Sunstone
Y the last man
Rat Queens
Deadly Class
Wicked and the Divine
Velvet
Chew
Sex Criminals

Check out Deadly Class which is also by Remender. It's awesome. Remender's good at writing angsty teens and the art is amazing.

Low is also worth a look but I don't think the first trade is out yet.

I hear Rat Queens is pretty good.

I'd also recommend Revival, Chew, the Manhattan Projects and The Wicked + The Divine. Would also recommend Sex Criminals but you said you're not into love stories so....

Calcium

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll do some research on the books you have recommended.

Would also recommend Sex Criminals but you said you're not into love stories so....

It's not that I'm not into love stories or anything, it just feels like a drastic move away from what I typically read (superhero books). If it weren't for The Wolf Among Us selling me on Fables I probably would have never strayed from my usual reading habits.

Owzers

Think of Saga as a space adventure with the foundation on a relationship. I'd go with Manhattan Projects by Jonathan Hickman, science shenanigans.

Tizoc

Go read Hellboy, amazing writing and fantastic characters.
Also Locke and Key.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I've read this and it's absolutely fascinating stuff. Well worth checking out if you get the chance. I'm not even a wrestling fan and found it really enjoyable.

Saga
Sunstone
Y the last man
Rat Queens
Deadly Class
Wicked and the Divine
Velvet
Chew
Sex Criminals

Messi list is best list. I would put Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw on that list as well. The writing has been superb thus far, though everything after issue #1 has been severely lacking in tiger boobs.

fauxtrot

Banned
Who doesn't have their CC memorized? Well, other than Messi.

Maybe watching Star Wars somehow unlocks that piece of our brain that allows us to remember our credit card numbers and we just never knew it because everyone on Earth has seen the original trilogy besides Messi? :O

fauxtrot

Banned
If any of the regulars want to jump on this but don't have their card handy, I'll order it and they can PayPal me later. I'm not giving anyone my CC info, but they can give me their shipping info.

Top Bottom