• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Owzers

If you want to pick up New Avengers you should also pick up Avengers, both by Hickman. I don't think there's a person alive that isn't enjoying them.

Is this a challenge?

No...I agree it's pretty good even if i think it's way too long for what it is. Definitely the Avengers stuff to check out.

You could also try Mark Millar's Ultimates and Ultimates 2, which take place in the ultimate universe and things build up nicely into large scale shenanigans. Downside is it's not in the regular Marvel Universe, upside is the quality of the story. Also it's why Samuel Jackson is in the Avengers movies and it doesn't have a huge cast of characters you don't know exist.

Tizoc

Come on people, if The Order at least has replayability it'd be worth $60 no? Ya'all got Metal Gear Rising for $60 and that's a short game.
The Order feels like a 1 time playthrough for me I'll grab it when it is like $30 or some such
If you want to pick up New Avengers you should also pick up Avengers, both by Hickman. I don't think there's a person alive that isn't enjoying them.

I'm not reading the series and the concept isn't appealing or interesting for me :V

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it like uncanny and all new with how they crossover (and i think?) take place in the same time?

Kinda sorta, there's a reading order in the thread for the run. The two books run on separate but parallel tracks until a timeskip. That said the two books are far more interwoven than uncanny and all new are.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hey comics GAF. Finally started using my gift subs for Marvel Unlimited and have been reading through Annihilation, using the most updated Cosmic marvel list. Anyway I just finished Heralds of Galactus. Though I'm having an issue. It's missing the story with Firelord and Stardust. Checked the app since I've been reading on my computer and it's the same thing.

Besides that issue, Annihilation has lived up to the hype. And now I know why Richie Rider is such a boss. Though I haven't finished his Annihilation arc just yet.

ThyComicList

DARK HORSE:
EI8HT #1

DC COMICS:
BATGIRL #39 (DCBS)
BATMAN AND ROBIN #39
BATMAN ETERNAL #46
JUSTICE LEAGUE #39 (DCBS)
MULTIVERSITY MASTERMEN #1 (DCBS)
MULTIVERSITY: DIRECTORS CUT (DCBS)
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #16 (DCBS)

IMAGE:
BITCH PLANET #3 (DCBS)
DEADLY CLASS #11
RUMBLE #3 (DCBS)

MARVEL:
BLACK WIDOW #15 (DCBS)
MS. MARVEL #12 (DCBS)
SILK #1 (DCBS)

... Man I'm glad most of these are already paid for :) (DCBS)

Cade

Stephanie Brown is pretty damn lame and her best use was as a fuckup who started a great plot line because of her fuckup.

#When'sCass

--
having a beard is basically laziness x baby face = beard. Once I shave I'm straight back to tall child.

She really shouldn't be in suicide squad

Lol come on. She's like the best fit for that sort of thing.

Zombine can you even grow a beard? I bet you're a peach fuzz kind of guy. Or maybe hardcore sideburns with the rest a barren wasteland of impotent hair follicles.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Montoya could be interesting but Barda strikes me as a little too one dimensional. She's like a female Hawkman. It'd take a seriously good writer really taking her out of her mold to make her anything more than a secondary character.
Imagine a Montoya/The Question book by Rucka...

As for Barda, I totally get your take on it. But at the same time, a book of 20 pages of Barda smashing things could be the greatest thing. Get Giffen on art duties find a good writer. Boom, you got a stew going.

Who's been better? It's clearly not Babs in both her N52 incarnations. Hell Babs now is a more annoying steph impersonation. Cassandra had a lengthy run but I'd take Stephs 24 issues over it. Her run was fun and great from start to finish.

I'm a diehard Babs fan. She is the original by which I measure all my Batgirls and I find most others wanting. I'm also someone who liked the Gail run. I didn't mind the darker tone.

Zombine

Banned
Zombine can you even grow a beard? I bet you're a peach fuzz kind of guy. Or maybe hardcore sideburns with the rest a barren wasteland of impotent hair follicles.

I can grow a full beard in a little under 4 days. I have sideburns as well. I'm just a pretty boy who has to appeal to a specific demographic.

I'm a diehard Babs fan. She is the original by which I measure all my Batgirls and I find most others wanting. I'm also someone who liked the Gail run. I didn't mind the darker tone.
What are you measuring other bat girls against? What run/material? I love Babs but she's always been a much better and more interesting character as Oracle. Being the most valuable info seeker, can more than hold her own even in a chair, overcoming tragedy, a mentor to others, etc. I've never read or seen a batgirl Babs run that made her standout outside of her year one comic. Which is why Stephs run is so great. It follows a lot of the spirit of that mini with the added bonus of Babs as her mentor.

I think the game will be great. But I love cinematic games. I have a big backlog so I'll wait for the price drops.

Aside from the last of us, Sony's last two gens of first party material have been dull as dishwater to me. I even tried uncharted. Just not for me.

Can't believe they killed WipEout for this stuff.

Aside from the last of us, Sony's last two gens of first party material have been dull as dishwater to me. I even tried uncharted. Just not for me.

Can't believe they killed WipEout for this stuff.
No way. Their developed/published work is awesome. Wipeout, puppeteer, resistance 1&3, Journey, flower, Uncharted series, TLOU, LBP, God of war series, ICO, SOTC,Jak series, Ratchet series, sly series, motor storm, folklore, etc. Lots of creativity and diversity and I know I'm forgetting a ton of the smaller creative titles.

What are you measuring other bat girls against? What run/material? I love Babs but she's always been a much better and more interesting character as Oracle. Being the most valuable info seeker, can more than hold her own even in a chair, overcoming tragedy, a mentor to others, etc. I've never read or seen a batgirl Babs run that made her standout outside of her year one comic. Which is why Stephs run is so great. It follows a lot of the spirit of that mini with the added bonus of Babs as her mentor.

Honestly? BTAS. I grew up right at the time for that and all of the DCAU stuff to have a monumental impact on me. The three characters that cemented certain roles to me were Bruce, Dick and Barbara. Bruce on one side was the brooding one driven by tragedy. Dick was in the middle, with a tragic past but a bright upbeat personality,and Barbara on the other end. She had no tragedy, she was bright and cheerful and did what she did because she felt it was how she could do good in the world. Both Cassandra and Steph lacked that pure hearted desire to do good. Both had tragic back stories and character flaws that seemed to clash with the idea of Batgirl. Cassandra was too brooding for me and Steph came across as an adrenaline junkie who cared more about the need to be in a suit, any suit, without really earning it. She was the hand me down Batgirl who became Batgirl because Cassandra got bored with it or whatever other emo nonsense. Heck, Oracle only seemed to take her under her wing because she was going to recklessly get killed otherwise.

No way. Their developed/published work is awesome. Wipeout, puppeteer, resistance 1&3, Journey, flower, Uncharted series, TLOU, LBP, God of war series, ICO, SOTC,Jak series, Ratchet series, sly series, motor storm, folklore, etc. Lots of creativity and diversity and I know I'm forgetting a ton of the smaller creative titles.

I never said they weren't creative. They just didn't appeal to me. They just weren't fun to play. I'm not getting into a list wars, I'm taking about personal aesthetic preference.

Honestly? BTAS. I grew up right at the time for that and all of the DCAU stuff to have a monumental impact on me. The three characters that cemented certain roles to me were Bruce, Dick and Barbara. Bruce on one side was the brooding one driven by tragedy. Dick was in the middle, with a tragic past but a bright upbeat personality,and Barbara on the other end. She had no tragedy, she was bright and cheerful and did what she did because she felt it was how she could do good in the world. Both Cassandra and Steph lacked that pure hearted desire to do good. Both had tragic back stories and character flaws that seemed to clash with the idea of Batgirl. Cassandra was too brooding for me and Steph came across as an adrenaline junkie who cared more about the need to be in a suit, any suit, without really earning it. She was the hand me down Batgirl who became Batgirl because Cassandra got bored with it or whatever other emo nonsense. Heck, Oracle only seemed to take her under her wing because she was going to recklessly get killed otherwise.

This is all truth. Its also what makes the current writing on Batgirl so fucking terrible.

Boogiepop

No beard here, either. Also, continuing my ongoing hatred towards Archie's handling of trades (IE they keep delaying the damn things), I read volume 8 of Mega Man and volume 2 of the Sonic reboot, and though I thoroughly enjoyed both... They dropped the paper quality. It's not glossy anymore :(. I can live with it (I mean, it's nicer than most manga paper still), but... Bleh.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Been growing a beard since October, my bearded dudes.

Come on people, if The Order at least has replayability it'd be worth $60 no? Ya'all got Metal Gear Rising for $60 and that's a short game.
The Order feels like a 1 time playthrough for me I'll grab it when it is like $30 or some such

No game is worth $60 these days, nevermind the €60-70 they want over here these days. I will reluctantly pay it for Mortal Kombat X and Arkham Knight, but that's it.

Regarding Hickman Avengers, I was in at the start but I sort of just forgot about it around Infinity so I can't judge it fairly. Since Secret Wars is taking over the whole line, I'm probably going to read it from the beginning.

Li Kao

Mmh, guys ? To sum up I'm a long time comic book fan who stopped reading comics regularly circa 2008 and want back. But as there is always a but, I have OCD and can't choose what to read or not to read among the hundred titles published each week to save my life. That's for the presentation, as there is no reason someone would remember my few posts here from some months ago.

So... Convergence. Secret Wars.
Seems like the best opportunity to head back into comics. But, as I have not read anything about it, do you think Marvel will really throw a DC and re-number each titles ? It certainly sounds that way looking at the pitch for Secret Wars, but your educated guesses are surely better than mine. I don't know, there are titles that just launched for christ sake, seems pretty extreme.
What do you think Marvel will do ?

For Convergence things are more simple as the canceled titles have been announced.

Top Bottom