• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

Isak_Borg

I would like a Hickman Spider-Man. It would be very different from the other stuff he's done, but I thought he wrote Spider-Man well in FF even if his involvement was limited. The issue where Johnny is living with Peter is terrific.

I'm hoping Waid takes over. Perfect fit for that book.

Fintan

I'm hoping Waid takes over. Perfect fit for that book.
Waid could be good too, really just want Slott to leave. Even at his best (Spider-Island etc.) I never particularly enjoyed his writing style.

The character really needs a breath of fresh air.Post Secret Wars seems like a perfect time to wrap up his run.

Isak_Borg

Waid could be good too, really just want Slott to leave. Even at his best (Spider-Island etc.) I never particularly enjoyed his writing style.

The character really needs a breath of fresh air.Post Secret Wars seems like a perfect time to wrap up his run.

I hate Dan Slott's run but Spidey is my fav character so I kind of slog through his work. Hawkeyes & Daredevil are perfect examples of what a Spider-Man book should be like.

Cade

Waid Spider-Man is one of those fits that's so good I can't bear to think too hard of it or I'll get sad if it doesn't work.

I hate Dan Slott's run but Spidey is my fav character so I kind of slog through his work. Hawkeyes & Daredevil are perfect examples of what a Spider-Man book should be like.

Are you reading Silver Surfer? Is Dan Slott the problem or is it Slott+Spiderman that doesn't work?

Ultima_5

You can't leave us hanging without a list man. I wanna know what you got.

Second fantastic four omnibus
First two BPRD plague of frogs hcs
Punk rock Jesus hc
Manhatten projects vol 1 hc
Flex mentallo hc

And I'm probably going to grab the uncanny avengers omni later this week.

So stoked

Fintan

Are you reading Silver Surfer? Is Dan Slott the problem or is it Slott+Spiderman that doesn't work?
I haven't read Surfer, but here's my take. He's had some good moments on Spidey but he was always very inconsistent and at this stage he's just a bit long in the tooth.

Isak_Borg

It's a Slott Spider-Man, just don't think the stories he wants to tell fit the character. I get what he's going "Mad Science" angle but not as grounded as Spider-Man should be. Everything just feels kind of like it's rushing from one big thing to the next with no room to breath.

Messi

I would like to recommend a book if you folks don't mind. It is called Princeless: The Pirate Princess. It is an adorable story about a Princess trying to save another Princess who is locked in a tower. It has a great cast of characters and is absolutely adorable art. It is very Disneyesque in its art. It is a digital only book and this current series has only had 3 issues. This book has heart. Girly Hijinks-Gaf approved.

7b1cb9603464a29cd056d7d9676515a5.jpg
6db8591d59062ba8992e51469570a785.jpg

08c454b3e36d86a1fc3bb401ecc680ed.jpg
4767d05a344bfcb909a8b2e0eb084a32.jpg

Slott should have taken his leave after superior. Dude did the impossible. Now he's just trying to up the ante harder where spidy doent really work.

Spider-man kind,of like bat man. Good supporting player but really,thrives when his threats are local and stret level

Messi

I haven't read Surfer, but here's my take. He's had some good moments on Spidey but he was always very inconsistent and at this stage he's just a bit long in the tooth.

Surfer has been absolutely fantastic. Every issue is great. Slott and Allred are nailing it.

I would like to recommend a book if you folks don't mind. It is called Princeless: The Pirate Princess. It is an adorable story about a Princess trying to save another Princess who is locked in a tower. It has a great cast of characters and is absolutely adorable art. It is very Disneyesque in its art. It is a digital only book and this current series has only had 3 issues. This book has heart. Girly Hijinks-Gaf approved.

This does look great. Single issues or OGN format or what?

I'm not sure what a Hickman X-Men would look like. His books are very sci-fi heavy and not sure that fits the X-Men books. I think Hickman is probably the best writer they have but not sure he fits the X-Men.
It would be amazing, brilliant arcs about the shi'ar, Apocalypse, the brood, Vulcan, making cyclops likable, resurrecting Jean, etc.

I think Hickman might be using a bunch of X-Men ideas for East of West, now that I think about it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I have another green lantern question, sorry!

So I got all these green lantern books, I believe it's from volume 4 according to wikipedia. I have from rebirth to Agent Orange on this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern_%28comic_book%29#Green_Lantern_vol._4

So my question is: What the fuck is blackest night?

My copy of Agent orange says "prelude to blackest night" and I've been trying to google what book I need to buy next (without coming across spoilers)

The wiki page for blackest night has like 8 different things on it, one actually called blackest night 0-8, and then a bunch of other blackest night things with character names after it or whatever. If I am just focusing on this green lantern story and run can I just get "Blackest Night: Green Lantern"?
Or do I need all the blackest night stuff?

Also, can I read what I have now and be satisfied? Or does it all come to come grand conclusion and I own everything except the climax of this story?

Isak_Borg

Absolutely but I think it would be unfair to discount Slott on Silver Surfer. His writing is really good. A few times he has hit great emotional moments.

I read a couple of issues but downloaded everything last night and plan on catching up tonight. I don't think Slott is a bad writer just not a great fit for Spider-Man.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I read a couple of issues but downloaded everything last night and plan on catching up tonight. I don't think Slott is a bad writer just not a great fit for Spider-Man.

Dude may just be running out of steam on Spider-man. He's been on that shit for what feels like a decade. Whereas Silver Surfer is just pure joy and ideas and tight, character-rich stories.

Dunbar

Also, can I read what I have now and be satisfied? Or does it all come to come grand conclusion and I own everything except the climax of this story?
You can read what you have now and be satisfied. Blackest Night is an "event."

Beware of events. They wreck the hell out of whatever series you're enjoying and force you to buy/read a bunch of bullshit in order for the story to make any sense.

If you're going to read past Agent Orange, the next two books you should read are probably the Blackest Night (#0-8) collection and the Green Lantern collection associated with it. The other event tie-ins (that is what the Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps, Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps, etc. books are called) are optional depending on your interest.

tim1138

I have another green lantern question, sorry!

So I got all these green lantern books, I believe it's from volume 4 according to wikipedia. I have from rebirth to Agent Orange on this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lantern_%28comic_book%29#Green_Lantern_vol._4

So my question is: What the fuck is blackest night?

My copy of Agent orange says "prelude to blackest night" and I've been trying to google what book I need to buy next (without coming across spoilers)

The wiki page for blackest night has like 8 different things on it, one actually called blackest night 0-8, and then a bunch of other blackest night things with character names after it or whatever. If I am just focusing on this green lantern story and run can I just get "Blackest Night: Green Lantern"?
Or do I need all the blackest night stuff?

Blackest Night was a big event comic give our six years ago. Unless you want to buy the Absolute edition, DC did a terrible job collecting the story. You can safely read just the Blackest Night comic and skip everything else, but there are some things explained in Green Lantern.

If you want to read the entire run, you still have a ways to go. You still have Green Lantern: Brightest Day (not to be confused with the book simply titled Brightest Day) and War of the Green Lanterns prior to the New 52. After the New 52 the volumes are numbered, when you get volume three you have two options, you can just read that or you can get the larger stories it kind of tied in to - Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern. It's been awhile since I read those issues, but I think you can safely skip the crossover books and not really be lost at all.

MikeDip

You can read what you have now and be satisfied. Blackest Night is an "event."

Beware of events. They wreck the hell out of whatever series you're enjoying and force you to buy/read a bunch of bullshit in order for the story to make any sense.

If you're going to read past Agent Orange, the next two books you should read are probably the Blackest Night (#0-8) collection and the Green Lantern collection associated with it. The other event tie-ins (that is what the Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps, Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps, etc. books are called) are optional depending on your interest.

I'm probably gonna end up having to get those two collections since having a book say "Prelude to ..." and then not having what it is preluding to is gonna drive me crazy. Really wish my copy of Agent Orange did not mention this prelude business, bleh.

But good to know I can start reading this stuff now and not be left at some massive cliffhanger. I hate cliffhangers.

Blackest Night was a big event comic give our six years ago. Unless you want to buy the Absolute edition, DC did a terrible job collecting the story. You can safely read just the Blackest Night comic and skip everything else, but there are some things explained in Green Lantern.

If you want to read the entire run, you still have a ways to go. You still have Green Lantern: Brightest Day (not to be confused with the book simply titled Brightest Day) and War of the Green Lanterns prior to the New 52. After the New 52 the volumes are numbered, when you get volume three you have two options, you can just read that or you can get the larger stories it kind of tied in to - Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern. It's been awhile since I read those issues, but I think you can safely skip the crossover books and not really be lost at all.

This is all way too much for me, I am out of space on my shelf and I don't even know if I like green lantern yet. My plan is to maybe stick with what I have (Up to agent orange like I said above) or go to right before New 52 starts, basically what the wiki page says for all of volume 4 I guess. (Can I just get green lantern: brightest day and ignore the other brightest day stuff?)

Been reading Parker: The Score. Cooke seems to stick to a more traditional grid layout most of the time but but some of the panels are really creative.

This one for example, across two pages.

Or this one, with the panel borders and the door's edge.

It's a Slott Spider-Man, just don't think the stories he wants to tell fit the character. I get what he's going "Mad Science" angle but not as grounded as Spider-Man should be. Everything just feels kind of like it's rushing from one big thing to the next with no room to breath.

I haven't read Spider-Man, just surprised that he seemed to be writing a Spider-Man fans don't like while Silver Surfer (which I am really enjoying) is getting a fair amount of of praise. Similar situation to Bendis + GOTG I guess.

I have been posting there for years and they were never that hostile. They are a great bunch of posters that let banter go a bit too far sometimes with injokes such as saying cunt.

Hey, I liked the guys, personally. A whole bunch of them got banned in 09 and set up their offshoot board. They were fun but you could kind of see why the mods went after them. It may have been the NBA thread where people were greeted with a 'who the fuck are you.' My memory is a little fuzzy.

Now for actual comics discussion!

I read Death of Ultimate Spider-Man last night. Shit tore at my heartstrings. I hate that the series was at such a good spot before it hit. Also, that it had anything to do with Millar's Ultimates and Avengers. I remember being so hyped for Millar's return to the Ultimates line except those comics were terrible. The Dillon series was the worst.

MikeDip

Is green lantern (Volume 4) good? I know nothing about green lantern except that the cover looked cool with all the green. What did I get myself into with these?

Can I just point out how amazing the covers for Iron Fist have been? Interiors too; Kaare's a madman.

Also, the twist in this month's issue made me go back and look through previous issues to see if he cheated with it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I haven't read a comic for a week I think. Stupid brain screwing with me again, keeping me from comics.
Also working 50-ish hours this week plus exercising 1-2 hours after every day at work. Not much time for replying to this thread, though I've been keeping up with it for the most part (except for on Wednesday when I didn't have time to read like 500 posts on my lunch break).
In summary, I don't like not posting, so I'll just post about not comics for now. Mostly because I was inspired by Zombine's post below:

To be fair, we couldn't give any less of a shit if those people ever come here. So please post more more Waifu's.

We're humans, I legit care about the people in this thread. We network, we play games, and comics are just a piece of the puzzle. If other people want to join our family and have fun then be my guest. If the OT people come here and shit on everyone's taste and want to fight about Cyclops and post unmarked spoilers (like clockwork) it's best they don't bother.

Very few folks from the OT come here and try to integrate with the group. They come in ready to fight with a nasty chip on their shoulder.

My man.
100% this.

We can't be all comics all the time.

Except Rhaknar that one week.

Hickman said he'd be up for doing something like GOTG or Star Wars in 5 years. So he's probably got some big space epic forming in his brainstuff at the moment.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So good.

I have all the issues but man would I love an OHC of this run.

Same.

I'm happy his Hawkeye run seems to be with another super talented artist--Ramon K. Perez--and I'm hopping into that shit day one based solely on what Lemire did with Green Arrow.

Thanks. A friend of mine never got his MMN3DSXL because it was cancelled by gamestop. Don't even know what the reason was.

They probably oversold. I heard Best Buy had to cull a bunch of their orders as well. I don't think even Nintendo of America knows what they're doing. For instance, the non-XL N3DS is available EVERYWHERE except North America.

Top Bottom