• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2015. No ship girls. Oh, we got a Tank Girl though!

They probably oversold. I heard Best Buy had to cull a bunch of their orders as well. I don't think even Nintendo of America knows what they're doing. For instance, the non-XL N3DS is available EVERYWHERE except North America.
NoA is a fucking joke. They are as worthless as Marvel comic paper.

NoA is a fucking joke. They are as worthless as Marvel comic paper.

reggie_shrug.jpg

Tizoc

I would like to recommend a book if you folks don't mind. It is called Princeless: The Pirate Princess. It is an adorable story about a Princess trying to save another Princess who is locked in a tower. It has a great cast of characters and is absolutely adorable art. It is very Disneyesque in its art. It is a digital only book and this current series has only had 3 issues. This book has heart. Girly Hijinks-Gaf approved.

Looks charming, will give it a read, thanks.

Tizoc

Looking at that review thread for The Order: 1886.

GAF is having a meltdown.

I'm just sayin' if a (US) PS4 owner has a Vita or a PSTV, they got a cheaper alternative if they want a game that'll entertain them for more than 5 hours.

I'd still get the game though...on sale. I mean a short 3rd person shooter romp can be entertaining from time to time.

Zombine

Banned
Oh god. Crazy ass fever breaking dreams and I have to go to best buy tomorrow morning. If I can't nab a Meta Knight I'm just going to buy some pants.

I feel like I just licked some toads.

What if the reason this place is falling apart is because some of us are infected and its about to be 28 days later up in here? Tripping balls

PsychBat!

Banned
compare videogame releases to ISIS, brehs
My favorite comment from that thread was: "I'll buy this game when it's $18.86".

Oh god. Crazy ass fever breaking dreams and I have to go to best buy tomorrow morning. If I can't nab a Meta Knight I'm just going to buy some pants.

I feel like I just licked some toads.

What if the reason this place is falling apart is because some of us are infected and its about to be 28 days later up in here? Tripping balls

Weird... I'm also not feeling well. I've had a headache ever since I woke up from my nap about 4 hours ago.

Zombine

Banned
My favorite comment from that thread was: "I'll buy this game when it's $18.86".

Weird... I'm also not feeling well. I've had a headache ever since I woke up from my nap about 4 hours ago.

Bro its all over. My nose is fine and my throat is fine too. I'm burning up, hallucinating, dehydrated, and I have a headache.

At least I'm going out like a Zombie. Please don't let it be a cordycept

PsychBat!

Banned
Bro its all over. My nose is fine and my throat is fine too. I'm burning up, hallucinating, dehydrated, and I have a headache.

At least I'm going out like a Zombie. Please don't let it be a cordycept
Man... I'm all that but I ain't hallucinating. Maybe this is all real? Shit... I don't wanna be a zombie too soon.

arkon

How long have you been around? There was a massive banning and exodus some years ago.

When a new poster would pop in they'd say 'who the fuck are you?' Im pretty sure they were responsible for getting the word cunt banned initially/ Its better now, but I don't really check out that often.

Not that long in the grand scheme of things. Think I got my account at GAF late 2012/early 2013 and FootyGAF was one of the first places I found myself going to regularly. Never felt unwelcome there. I think the only time new posters were met with hostility was when they brought the hostility themselves, usually in the form of drive-by posts shitting on someone's team. Understandably there'd be some in-thread blowback.

---

Finished third Hitman trade last night. Continues to be great stuff. That whole section with Hacken at the aquarium was fabulous.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Ms Marvel #12
Kinda silly, but hell-- I enjoyed it. Guessing it's a pause before the next arc.

Miles Morales #10
Yes! An arc starting that has nothing to do with Peter Parker, his legacy, or 616!
I have waited so long for this.

Who am I kidding? It's all going to be binned or tied into Secret Wars. After which 15 years of blissful separation will be swept down the drain.
When I started reading comics, I really liked crossover events. Now I just wish they'd let every writer do their thing.

Zombine

Banned
Ms Marvel #12
Kinda silly, but hell-- I enjoyed it. Guessing it's a pause before the next arc.

Miles Morales #10
Yes! An arc starting that has nothing to do with Peter Parker, his legacy, or 616!
I have waited so long for this.

Who am I kidding? It's all going to be binned or tied into Secret Wars. After which 15 years of blissful separation will be swept down the drain.
When I started reading comics, I really liked crossover events. Now I just wish they'd let every writer do their thing.

Well, Ms Marvel isn't going anywhere though so I'd say you're good! Secret Wars isn't going to change much of anything and life will carry on as usual.

I feel so damn ill today. Ugh. First day in 4 years off Monster Energy. I just want to quit :(

That shit can't be healthy lol. Seriously though comicGAF is down and out today holy shit. I feel better myself, but I got like no sleep and still have to work tonight. I'm thinking about going in wicked early and having the evening to myself.

I would like to recommend a book if you folks don't mind. It is called Princeless: The Pirate Princess. It is an adorable story about a Princess trying to save another Princess who is locked in a tower. It has a great cast of characters and is absolutely adorable art. It is very Disneyesque in its art. It is a digital only book and this current series has only had 3 issues. This book has heart. Girly Hijinks-Gaf approved.

I'm not part of Goily Hoijinx GAF, but I am a Disney fanboy, and the art style looks quite nice. I might check it out in trade.

They probably oversold. I heard Best Buy had to cull a bunch of their orders as well. I don't think even Nintendo of America knows what they're doing. For instance, the non-XL N3DS is available EVERYWHERE except North America.

Well, there is that big ol' dock workers' strike here on the West Coast. That's probably a major contributor.

I also like to think that's why my Walgreens hasn't stocked the Punisher Pop.

Y'all got your NintendoGAF in my ComicsGAF.

and I like it

Momoa Aquaman:

I like it

I should've known better than to expect orange/green armor, clean-shaven Aquaman.

*scribbles Aquaman of off anticipated movies list*

Cade

I should've known better than to expect orange/green armor, clean-shaven Aquaman.

*scribbles Aquaman of off anticipated movies list*

Beardquaman is my Aquaman and I figure the costume will look better when it has more than 10% saturation, just like the rest of these promo pics. Poor Zack doesn't know when to quit desaturating things.

Isak_Borg

FUN FACT: Today is going to be a fun comic day!

Catching up on Revival & finally starting Black Science.

Anyone else have a problem with the Magical Negro aspects of Southern Bastards?

Justice League 39 was damn good. Johns is just killing it. I really hope the Shazam rumors end up being true. Batman Eternal was good this week too. Futures End is finally really going, but I agree with folks who said this didn't need to be a 50 something issue story and could easily have been done in half or less.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Speaking of how awesome it would be if Waid took over Spider-Man, could he bring Samnee with him? I just want those two to keep writing books together.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
FUN FACT: Today is going to be a fun comic day!

Catching up on Revival & finally starting Black Science.

Anyone else have a problem with the Magical Negro aspects of Southern Bastards?

ViewtifulJC pointed it out when that issue dropped, but I honestly have no real issue with it. It was implemented well, served a purpose, and is a pretty good way to highlight the racial tensions in the town. Good writers can totally utilize cliches and tropes to bolster a story, and judging by every issue of Southern Bastards so far, Aaron is a great writer.

Li Kao

Mmh, so I'm near issue 12 for three of the series in my 'greatest catch-up ever that will inevitably fail' and bear with me as I lay the hammer of personal opinion for each of them. I'm not sure these opinions will be shared but hey, they are mine, I've grown quite fond of them.

Justice League (2011) #1-6
Already mentioned in a previous post. Quite mediocre all around. I can sympathize with the difficulty of the task at hand, but for me it is a failure by a pretty large margin.

Action Comics (2011) #1-6
Maybe, surely, my most controversial opinion but... what was this shit ? I mean Morrison and Morales, what could go wrong ?
Well, except that Morales is inconsistent as fuck, going from totally serviceable, even good, to downright ugly (man I think some Lana panels are going to haunt me).
Except that's totally not genius Morrison, too many plot holes or things left unexplained, uninteresting story, a sort of fill-in from hell right in the middle of the arc, ellipses as big as 'insert joke here' occurring regularly between panels.
It was a spectacular fail for me, a fail I wasn't expecting at all. Justice League for all its mediocrity was serviceable, Action Comics is a serious missfire.

Batman (2011) 1-8
Again, call me difficult to please, but I was expecting more from it. That being said, Batman while not perfect was a very solid read. Capullo does a good job most of the time, Snyder constructs a good story, nothing to really lament here. The story could maybe have been handled better, the pacing (like a lot of those titles) could have used some trimming, but all in all it was a very solid comic book I will gladly continue reading. Not a top of the pile read, though.
Oh and to be a glorious nitpicker, Scott please, could you avoid using the same storytelling trick two times in a row ? (Issue #1-2, overarching discourse that make sense in the final scene). But yeah, I nitpick.

Wonder Woman (2011) #0-12
Now that, that was a helluva good time. I've no real history with Wonder Woman, no bias here, but it was a regularly fantastic read for me.
Chiang is just perfect here, never at fault, and even fill-in artists like Akins bring something to the table with wonderful character designs (he is more hit or miss though). It is without a doubt my best book to simply look at, with some simply mind blowing scenes.
As for the writing, I was regularly enthralled by the whole thing. Story is very good, characters are likeable and interesting (some of them could support a series of their own), there is some good Sandman vibe with the whole family thing, War is superbly handled... Now this is what a great comic book looks to me.
I read there was some controversy regarding the series, that it somehow betrays the original Wonder Woman... I can certainly imagine that. And I'm no stranger to bearing a grudge because of stupid story decisions by DC 'let's rape and and burn our characters in an oven' Comics. But while I can sympathize with the readers who don't recognize their Wonder Woman here, the end result is so good I can't help but admire the work done here.
Oh and reading a recent interview with the authors, I spoiled the whole run for myself. FML.

Isak_Borg

If you read the most recent issue, I think Aaron addresses this specific question in the letters pages.

Just read the letters page and he kind of dances around it.

I think Aaron is a great writer but one of those things as a POC that kind of irks me. Hopefully he's going somewhere with it.

Boogiepop

So, I noticed the TMNT Ghostbusters thing should be done now. For anybody who read it: is it spoilery for the Ghostbusters run? Trying to decide if I need to pick that up and read it first, or if I can use the crossover to get a feel for the series and decide if I want to go back for more.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Action Comics (2011) #1-6
Maybe, surely, my most controversial opinion but... what was this shit ? I mean Morrison and Morales, what could go wrong ?
Well, except that Morales is inconsistent as fuck, going from totally serviceable, even good, to downright ugly (man I think some Lana panels are going to haunt me).
Except that's totally not genius Morrison, too many plot holes or things left unexplained, uninteresting story, a sort of fill-in from hell right in the middle of the arc, ellipses as big as 'insert joke here' occurring regularly between panels.
It was a spectacular fail for me, a fail I wasn't expecting at all. Justice League for all its mediocrity was serviceable, Action Comics is a serious missfire.

Just read Action Comics #9 and #13 and the 0 issue, as those three issues are fucking stellar. Aside from those, the run started out promising, and I think that Supes' initial "costume" was the smartest redesign and concept I've seen in cape books in a while, but Morrison pretty much said everything he needed to say about Supes in All-Star, and Action was kind of a mess as a whole that was made up of some pretty cool and clever parts.

Just read the letters page and he kind of dances around it.

I think Aaron is a great writer but one of those things as a POC that kind of irks me. Hopefully he's going somewhere with it.
I didn't grab that issue yet, but can you sum up his response?

Top Bottom