• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Al Ewing is way too good for Marvel's shitty editorial. New Avengers is amazing but during both Standoff and CWII it feels like the plot was unceremoniously lurched forward. Standoff wasn't that bad but it forced the sacrifice of their wacky adventures and the build-up of The Maker as the big bad in exchange for a S.H.I.E.L.D./USA conflict that should have had more build-up. Then in CWII the entire double/triple agent subplot gets completely ruined because Ewing realized that with a pre-cog having a traitor is a dumb idea (I know about HydraCap but that's different). Literally two issues after
you find out Songbird is a triple-agent she gets outed at S.H.I.E.L.D.
AND they steal away Hawkeye who would have been an important character when everything gets revealed. Yet despite all this it's still a really good book. It's probably guaranteed USAvengers doet get hijacked my Secret Empire.

All this make me a little hesitant to read Ultimates because I know Ewing gets fucked again with Carol on the team. And then of course Marvel decided that Ultimates would be a guinea pig for their new "season" = relaunch idea which looks like it's been a flop.

At least Contest of Champions was way, way better than it had any right to be. I actually felt some emotions reading that last issue.

Also if Ewing doesn't get a book with the old New Mutants than Marvel is a failure. I'm pretty sure most of them aren't actually doing anything right now anyway outside of Ewing's own books.

VanWinkle

Each year for valentines day my missus and I get each other a movie and half in for a nice meal for the evening to eat while watching them, and have a quiet night in that way. Bought her Independence Day 2 and just suffered through that (she loves disaster movies) . She got me.....Kubo! I remember everyone going crazy for this when it came out so thought I'd share. Literally just about to start.

(not valentines today I know, but we gotta take when we can get a babysitter and be happy with that hah)

Bro, we do very similar stuff. Well we get a movie and something good to eat and just relax at the house together for the evening. Instead of getting each other a movie though, we just get each other $25 worth of books.

Ms. Marvel #15
Great issue. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I love the more serious tone is regarding this arc. I also like how this arc deals with isolation and the feelings therein. But it's also good to see how Kamala has developed from her unwilling independence (becoming more skilled with computers, for example). She's becoming a better character with every issue.

Jessica Jones #5
None of it matters.

This is a massive turning point with Jessica, and boy is it a doozy. I would describe her as being betrayed, and boy is she super pissed. Also, Ben Urich with that top tier ether being dealt to Luke. Top tier issue.

The Unworthy Thor #4
My god. Not a single issue of this has been a disappointment. The art is fantastic and the action is amazing. Chaotic, but with order, and I love how vulnerable Thor is. It really gives depth and nuance to the boisterous, invincible Thunder God we all know and love.

Top tier comics

Just got back from John Wick 2 (which is all kinds of awesome btw). The world building in that gives me a craving for a Global Frequency type of mini-series set in it.

It got me thinking though. Who would you pick for depicting fast paced action sequences well?

Just got back from John Wick 2 (which is all kinds of awesome btw). The world building in that gives me a craving for a Global Frequency type of mini-series set in it.

It got me thinking though. Who would you pick for depicting fast paced action sequences well?

James Harren is the best Western artist when it comes to action scenes IMO

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Catching up on Detective Comics, just finished Victim Syndicate.

Man, what a book. 👌🏻

VanWinkle

You guys are just great. I'm reading Legion of Superheroes by Levitz and Giffen from the 80s. I'm really enjoying it! This is my first REAL LoSH material (not just cameos).

Also, just got a notification from Netflix that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season 2 is available now. Woo!

Sandfox

It's been surprisingly great. I thought it would be decent, but I've enjoyed it a helluva lot.
So far so good in my eyes. The Jackal stuff is probably a bit controversial with fans, but I'm fine with it because this differentiates the character from certain others.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's pretty much the plot of ROM.

I watched the first episode of Legion today, holy shit it's great. Shame it's on Fox and will be cancelled dead after one season.
Rom by Christos Cage? I am more looking for horror/mystery books and not so much sci fi stuff with robots and alien

Are there any comic books that adapt the Body Snatcher idea?

The closest thing I can think of is:
Girls_issue_1_%28comic_book_cover%29.jpg

A very, very weird comic. It's kinda like a mix of Body Snatchers and Slither.

Bro, we do very similar stuff. Well we get a movie and something good to eat and just relax at the house together for the evening. Instead of getting each other a movie though, we just get each other $25 worth of books.

Haha that's brilliant, we used to do that! For those brief few years I managed to get her into comics we would get each other a trade and pick the movie together! Sadly she has abandoned any sort of good taste with her hobbies and spends all her free time cross stitching and doesn't really keep up on any of the comics I got her into so we don't do that.

Holy shit btw watching episode 1 of legion. Wtf! So good. Why can't Fox make a movie like this. Just this episode would have made a great movie.

Sandfox

Backup story and because they know people will pay it. See all of the upcoming X-Men and Inhumans #1. Sure bullseye #1 was 4.99. Bullseye.

Bullseye was $5 because it had a backup story by Wolfman. The $5 books are typically the ones Marvel expects to get large orders. Also, Royals and Weapon X are $4.

Justice League/Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #2
Pretty good. We find out who the main baddies are, the fight was solid, and I liked how it ended. Plus the Batman jokes are pretty great. That said I'm not sure how I feel about the alliance between
Zedd and Brainiac, especially given that I feel like Brainiac wouldn't agree so easily
. Also, are
all those monsters supposed to be a Watchmen reference? Because it feels like it is.
. Decent issue. Not as strong as Batman/TMNT, but still solid.

shingi70

Banned
If you are expecting anything from the clones wars or rebels don't get it. I was really disappointed by this issue but I'm still going to get the trade because I love Maul.

I like that it's pre Clone Wars era. It's why I liked half of the Obi-wan and Anikan mini.

I've been trying to formulate my thoughts on Captain America: Sam Wilson and I think that generally I don't like it very much. There's nothing wrong with politically-charged stuff but I feel like it's basically just saying "everything is shit" and it isn't very enjoyable to read.

Part of the problem is that, given the state of modern politics in the U.S., it's kind of weird that apparently nobody really supports him? Like here we are in 2017 with protests happening every weekend and yet in SamCap world most of the people he encounters hate his guts. The book focuses too much on exaggerating the bad parts of the modern U.S. without the proper balance to make it enjoyable. Even in the latter parts of Claremont's X-Men where anti-mutant racism was at its most extreme it was never this cynical.

Heads up, there is a bundle on Outcast on Comixology. 18 issues for $30. This ditty is an intriguing twist on the possession/exocism horror genre!

Kind of funny, though, the 18 issues. Especially since issue 19 is where all the answers come.

Anyway... I love this book! Highly recommended dark, creepy mystery/action!

Top Bottom