• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

mreddie

I feel the book is going to be threading water until it gets its crossover/special arc with a plot outline from Johns like The Button and Superman Reborn are. Johns said he would co-write a big arc with Abnett that he wanted to do back when he was on the book, right? The Seven Seas?

Leth's tweets. :(

Another retailer speaking their mind and providing numbers.

BC lists all the dead Marvel books.

I'm bowing out for the night~

Seriously, how many times have we gotten MARVEL BEING NEW IS HURTING US article from Bleeding "LOLCANIGETANEOGAFACCOUNT" Cool?

I consider Jason Aaron's time on Thor to be one long story.

Doesn't really make sense here, since The previous "Thor" volumes were starring a different character with a different arc.

Spidey2099 volume 2-3 are literally one continuous plot starring the exact same character. Miguel screwed the timeline in volume 2 wiping out "his" version of 2099 and volume 3 is mostly him fixing that, along with resolving a medical issue with his fiancee who he met in volume 1. Neither volume makes any sense at all without the other half. Volume 2 would have unfinished and unaddressed plot lines all over, Volume 3 would be complete nonsense. they were clearly plotted as one long 30ish issue arc that just happened to be interrupted by SW, and renumbered.

Even the secret wars stuff has been tightly integrated into volume 3 with Miguel admitting that he remembers the events of secret wars, and characters being brought over from it as core players.

The Thor: God of Thunder stuff is in no way as integral to the plot of Mighty Thor.

DC-Designer-Wonder-Woman-Cho-v1.jpg

September 2017!

She's huge. Can't wait to get her.

Seriously, how many times have we gotten MARVEL BEING NEW IS HURTING US article from Bleeding "LOLCANIGETANEOGAFACCOUNT" Cool?
A bunch because Marvel publicly said things retailers did not agree with. The retailers didn't go with their reactions to the only other websites that are still 30%+ comic news(Newsarama and Comicosity), they went to Bleeding Cool. Newsarama already did theirs weeks ago when they did their yearly talk with retailers so I can see why they wouldn't want to do articles on it once again when they had already come to the same conclusions.. Easier to just send a A4 or two to BC and know that someone in the business will see it.

mreddie

A bunch because Marvel publicly said things retailers did not agree with. The retailers didn't go with their reactions to the only other websites that are still 30%+ comic news(Newsarama and Comicosity), they went to Bleeding Cool. Newsarama already did theirs weeks ago when they did their yearly talk with retailers so I can see why they wouldn't want to do articles on it once again when they had already come to the same conclusions.. Easier to just send a A4 or two to BC and know that someone in the business will see it.

Retailers who last we checked are somehow boycotting the DC books because the prices are scattered.

Sandfox

The problem here though is that this the last article had incorrect data that BC didn't fact check and this latest is using flawed data to prove a point while suggesting that Marvel only release 35-40 books, which would only hurt everyone involved.

kmfdmpig

It's funny, but the last several months it has been the same story on BC.
Week by week we hear about how DC is utterly dominating with sales. Then once a month we get the actual numbers and see that Marvel is ahead by quite a bit. Then another 4 weeks of "Marvel is utterly doomed" and "DC is rising to the sun" and then the results show that Marvel won by 10 - 15%. After a few months of that it feels like BC has become Bizzaro world.

It's funny, but the last several months it has been the same story on BC.
Week by week we hear about how DC is utterly dominating with sales. Then once a month we get the actual numbers and see that Marvel is ahead by quite a bit. Then another 4 weeks of "Marvel is utterly doomed" and "DC is rising to the sun" and then the results show that Marvel won by 10 - 15%. After a few months of that it feels like BC has become Bizzaro world.

Last month Marvel shipped roughly 15% more books and generally at a higher price point to make 9% more money. That's really not a great result. Plenty of retailers are saying on social media and to outlets like BC that long-term Marvel fans are walking away at much higher than normal levels and it worries them. Now surely there are places that are still selling tons of Marvel and that's holding up the overall numbers but this is definetly a story in the current marketplace.

kmfdmpig

Last month Marvel shipped roughly 15% more books and generally at a higher price point to make 9% more money. That's really not a great result. Plenty of retailers are saying on social media and to outlets like BC that long-term Marvel fans are walking away at much higher than normal levels and it worries them. Now surely there are places that are still selling tons of Marvel and that's holding up the overall numbers but this is definetly a story in the current marketplace.

I agree and don't envy Marvel's position (overshipping books also pads their sales volume numbers), but the tenor of the reporting on BC is so negative about Marvel's sales and so positive about DC that you'd expect something closer to 50% DC 35% Marvel 15% other instead of Marvel still comfortably ahead.
One challenge, I think, that Marvel will have is that they've gone to the same wells so many times in terms of major events and relaunches that those wells are drying up. It was very naive of them to expect massive #1 bumps to last year after year when they repeat that cycle again and again to the point that #1 doesn't mean much at all.

Messi

Superman by Tomasi and Gleason constantly amazes me even on rereads. It's the first time I've really enjoyed a Superman story. The have really nailed what I like about him. I have to say...Issue #7 is a masterpiece on the same level as the issue of their run on Batman and Robin where Damian is finally alive again and he has powers. That issue was perfect too. Jimenez is so good and this issue is no exception. Glad he got to do Super Sons but I'd he hadn't I would have loved to see him be the other artist with Gleason. Great all around.

Sandfox

People probably won't like the idea behind them, but the Hydra variants that Sorrentino drew for Secret Empire are amazing.

I love Gurihurus Gwen. So cute.

If Gwenpool were to end I would move them to Ms. Marvel and Miyazawa to whatever book the teen heroes are on.

Top Bottom