• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

That fantastic four trailer was a lot better than I expected given all the negative rumors, but sometimes, rumors are just rumors. I think Fox has done a much better job of not messing with some of their properties since First Class. Rothman is no longer with Fox right? That should be enough reason to have some hope

Owzers

Avengers #40 and New Avengers 28ish: I'm not impressed by Hickman's run anymore, it's gone on too long and for having a nine month countdown until time runs out, there's no sense of urgency when there are still 18 or more issues to go through. Random 4/10 for a persistent feel of indifference.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Avengers #40 and New Avengers 28ish: I'm not impressed by Hickman's run anymore, it's gone on too long and for having a nine month countdown until time runs out, there's no sense of urgency when there are still 18 or more issues to go through. Random 4/10 for a persistent feel of indifference.

111.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ComicGaf, do we like this new X-Force series?

I really liked the first 2 issues...like, a lot o_O

I know I know im a X fanboy, but still, Ive actually been quite sour on most of the X stuff lately as youve seen

So my voyage into getting collected volumes has lead me to a bunch of stuff! Some from my local comic store and some from amazon because 6$ with free shipping is hard to beat when catching up with stuff. So far I have read the first 3 TP of Saga and it is pretty amazing. I almost want to save vol. 4 which is sitting on my bedside until the next trade is closer.

My entire collection is.... Mind MGMT 1-4, Sex Criminals V1, Black Science V1, Pretty Deadly V1, Manifest Destiny V1 &2, Lazarus Vol 1&2, Rat Queens V1, The Wicked + The Divine V1, Saga V1-4, Veil V1. My biggest issue is that I keep grabbing new stuff I will have to keep up with. At least the releases are so staggered that you don't end up too bad off each month!

Check out Deadly Class volume 1!

Owzers

trying to use Colin Farrel's emotions against me

Hickman's Avengers has been going on for 68 issues plus Infinity, so about 75 total. When i reflect on his run, i'm basically emotionless towards it. It was not great, it's not terrible, it is consistent and continues to be put out. It's written for the digital format, there are few if any memorable panels or pages. I will never recommend it to people looking to get into comics and it will never be on a top list of favorite runs.

I have it digitally from the print codes, maybe i'll go back and start at the beginning to give it another chance, but i'm not hopeful.

Rhaknar

Hickman's Avengers has been going on for 68 issues plus Infinity, so about 75 total. When i reflect on his run, i'm basically emotionless towards it. It was not great, it's not terrible, it is consistent and continues to be put out. It's written for the digital format, there are few if any memorable panels or pages. I will never recommend it to people looking to get into comics and it will never be on a top list of favorite runs.

I have it digitally from the print codes, maybe i'll go back and start at the beginning to give it another chance, but i'm not hopeful.

shaking_head_disgust_keanu_reeves.gif

im just fucking with you, I havent even read any Hickman Avengers stuff :p

Messi

Sillymonkey must have that one wretchedly bad book that he enjoys but hides from us. I know it. Someone with that much hate in their hearts must have secrets. Maybe he is a fellow Zenescope reader?

Owzers

Sillymonkey must have that one wretchedly bad book that he enjoys but hides from us. I know it. Someone with that much hate in their hearts must have secrets. Maybe he is a fellow Zenescope reader?

A person reads one Wonderland trade when it was free and it follows you around forever. I didn't like it though.

fauxtrot

Banned
I just realized it's been like... four months since Chilling Adventures of Sabrina 1. When's the second issue hitting?

Yeah, I've definitely felt my hype for this title deflate thanks to the slow release schedule. I understand these things take time, but I wish they would have waited to release issues until they could do at least a bi-monthly (once every 2 months) schedule for the first arc. I don't mind waiting 6 months between arcs if it means I'm getting the issues on a schedule.

Boogiepop

Freaking ice. Just had my first fall in a years and I hit pretty hard. I don't think I did anything serious but my knee and wrist certainly sting. Ouch.

Also, I started part 7 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and let me just say I just realized that they pretty much
new 52'd it
(big old Jojo's spoilers via comic terms). Crazy stuff!

When does IST usually update?

Between now and 5:30 EST.

But there may be delays due to the Snowmageddon that never happened. UPS wasn't delivering today in my area. So they might not update at all today. If not, bet on tomorrow.

Getting hella anime ads now browsing this thread

Thanks GH and Freeza

You're welcome. I've started seeing ads with Tsundere references. It amuses me to no end.

kd-z

ComicGaf, do we like this new X-Force series?

I really liked the first 2 issues...like, a lot o_O

I know I know im a X fanboy, but still, Ive actually been quite sour on most of the X stuff lately as youve seen

Yo, it's being written by Simon Spurrier, the writer behind KD-Z'S FAVOURITE COMIC OF ALL TIME*, Six Gun Gorilla. So of course it's good.

*does not mean much as I've not read a lot of comics
*also no, I haven't read X-Force itself
*and neither did I read X-Men Legacy, which I probably should read
*also it seems like you have a Legion-do shaped hole in your X-reading, Rhaknar!

Rhaknar

Yo, it's being written by Simon Spurrier, the writer behind kd-z 's FAVOURITE COMIC OF ALL TIME*, Six Gun Gorilla. So of course it's good.

*does not mean much as I've not read a lot of comics
*also no, I haven't read X-Force itself
*and neither did I read X-Men Legacy, which I probably should read
*also it seems like you have a Legion-do shaped hole in your X-reading, Rhaknar!

yup Legacy is the only modern X book I didnt read... I just dont see the appeal in a Legion book :(

X-Men popularity isn't as strong as it was in the 80s and 90s. Comic book wise.

I dont like you anymore Psych

Neoxon

TORO_zps2c1961b8.png

So apparently Toro is Inhuman rather than a mutant like he once was (I believe he was among the first mutants in the Marvel universe), & that being exposed to the OG Human Torch was equal to being exposed to the Terrigen Mist.

Rhaknar

So apparently Toro is Inhuman rather than a mutant like he once was (I believe he was among the first mutants in the Marvel universe), & that being exposed to the OG Human Torch was equal to being exposed to the Terrigen Mist.

I almost want them to turn all mutants into inhumans just for the absolute SHITSTORM that it would create :p

headshot95

Neo Member
Been reading through the Criminal deluxe hardcovers lately and just finished the "Bad Night" arc in the second hardcover. Such a great story with tons of twists and turns. Overall this is a fantastic series and I can't wait to see where the final two arcs go.

Rhaknar

Madrox

Read the first issue, loved it, started the second

"nwar? what's nwar?"

Oh gods this will be good.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys o/

its so good, I need to get back to x-factor

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hey Kipp, what month were you reading Doom Patrol? I would like to go back and read your impressions.

It was in August. Here's the link to all the Doom Patrol posts in that thread.
TyrantRave and whatsinaname were both reading it that month as well!
So glad that you're reading it. And also very glad that you're enjoying it so far. Definitely keep posting your thoughts. I don't have a good enough memory to respond to your posts in a very substantive way, but I still enjoy hearing what you think about the wild ride that is Morrison's Doom Patrol!

When does IST usually update?

Usually now. I hope nothing good releases this week. I just made an order a few days ago...

Been reading through the Criminal deluxe hardcovers lately and just finished the "Bad Night" arc in the second hardcover. Such a great story with tons of twists and turns. Overall this is a fantastic series and I can't wait to see where the final two arcs go.

I just recently read the Criminal hardcovers as well. Really good stuff. That last story is mind-blowingly good, so prepare yourself!

Afrodium

Banned
Digital comic readers, can I get a suggestion on a good iPad app to read DRM free comics on? I picked up the Humble Image Bundle a week ago and can't find any app that seems to be able to handle the basics of reading a comic book. All I need is something that allows me to view a whole page vertical and both pages side by side when horizontal (for double page spreads). The most frustrating thing is that iBooks does this for regular books, but for some reason treats graphic novels differently.

Any suggestions? At this point I'm willing to pay a few bucks. Dropbox syncing would be nice too.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, also, might as well throw this out there:
So my Absolute Batman & Robin arrived with damaged pages from IST (no exterior damage; definitely a manufacturing error and not IST's fault), and I sent them an email explaining the situation and I got this response:
"We apologize for the defective item. Please send it back to us along with a copy of this e-mail by USPS Media Mail to...
When it arrives back, we will reimburse you for the Media Mail cost and pull a replacement.
We apologize for the inconvenience."

IST is just the best all around. No hassle at all.

IST is just the best all around. No hassle at all.

Dude, there was a time a few years back where I accidentally ordered 2 copies of something in my cart, and I get an email two minutes later asking if that was correct.

It was Ultimatum, so they probably couldn't believe anyone would want ONE copy, much less two.

CBTech

Freaking ice. Just had my first fall in a years and I hit pretty hard. I don't think I did anything serious but my knee and wrist certainly sting. Ouch.

Also, I started part 7 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and let me just say I just realized that they pretty much
new 52'd it
(big old Jojo's spoilers via comic terms). Crazy stuff!

Steel Ball Run is one of the best parts of Jojo's. It is also really damn long.

Zombine

Banned
The Foggy
cancer
plot in Daredevil is heartbreaking :/

There's some kind of weird moral there about fat people + fast/junk food = cancer connection there that I have a hard time getting into when Matt Murdock has probably breathed in more asbestos than a 1950s construction worker.

Top Bottom