• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Because all they can do is look at where they are and where they're standing, and say that they will not allow those demons here. Over there has to stand and speak for itself. It's only when over there becomes here that they can put an end to the threat for good.

^_^

Wut.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
First story arc of Doom Patrol has been completed. The best way to describe it was the Twilight Zone of the DC universe. Lot of weird shit in those first 4 issues. I already feel like I need some analysis because I can tell Morrison put tons of symbolism and implanted a bunch of ideas that will bleed throughout the entire run.

Oh man, you ain't seen nothin yet. You're in for a wild ride.

Also, in regards to the symbolism and whatnot, if I were you, I wouldn't think too hard about it. Just take it all in and enjoy it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
First story arc of Doom Patrol has been completed. The best way to describe it was the Twilight Zone of the DC universe. Lot of weird shit in those first 4 issues. I already feel like I need some analysis because I can tell Morrison put tons of symbolism and implanted a bunch of ideas that will bleed throughout the entire run.
It's your first time reading Doom Patrol? Oh boy you're in for a treat, like Kipp said don't try to over-analyze shit, just take the weird in.

Also, remember that IIRC Morrison was still in his "straight edge" period while writing this.

On another note, finally finished reading all the Hellboy stuff I currently have. How the fuck did I forget about the fucking twist in The Wild Hunt?
Hellboy is the fucking heir to King Arthur! So hype!
. While waiting for the big BPRD softcover trades to come out I just ordered both Witchfinder books.

Messi

Superior Iron Man tackling the hard hitting issues like DLC already being on the disc.

It took me a really long time to warm up to them, but yeah I like them. They need their own room to grow though, like how Eva has had the annuals.

As the series has progressed it's become less about them which is sad. I would read a book about just them and a teacher. Say Emma or Illyana.

Definitely not in on Convergence, won't be any DC for those two months. I've been burned too many times with their gimmick months. And those "creative" teams. Oh boy. Gonna use that month for omnibuses and LoSH.

So because I've been digging Red Sonja I decided to check out one of the off shoots? Mini series? Reason to print another book? Red Sonja: Vulture's Circle #1.

That sure was a thing. They don't give shit for backstory. I think this is a slightly older Sonja? And there was something about a Snake God they explained literally nothing about? It did have a casually Evil Priest so that's cool I guess. Sonja also appears to be running a school and is in a relationship slash sleeping with some guy but they don't say who he was. Also they want you to know that she sure feels those old wounds cause she totes has a dream about one that didn't seem to serve any purpose except to eat up pages and then later we got sweet 60s style *moan* and *grunt*'s in the dialog.

3/10 and that's only because of the sweet cover.

with those convergence creative teams, I'm shocked Rafa or Kipp didn't get the call. They seemed to hire anybody they could find.
That hurts brah.....
So because I've been digging Red Sonja I decided to check out one of the off shoots? Mini series? Reason to print another book? Red Sonja: Vulture's Circle #1.

That sure was a thing. They don't give shit for backstory. I think this is a slightly older Sonja? And there was something about a Snake God they explained literally nothing about? It did have a casually Evil Priest so that's cool I guess. Sonja also appears to be running a school and is in a relationship slash sleeping with some guy but they don't say who he was. Also they want you to know that she sure feels those old wounds cause she totes has a dream about one that didn't seem to serve any purpose except to eat up pages and then later we got sweet 60s style *moan* and *grunt*'s in the dialog.

Where to start with Red Sonja? Any good collections?

Wrong person to ask unfortunately. I jumped on with Simone/Geovani with the most recent #1 about a year ago. It's been really enjoyable. They've done two six issue arcs, the second of which was especially good imo. I occasionally dabble in the other one shots or spin offs out of curiosity but I'm still a complete novice to this stuff.

I don't have superhero pajamas. I feel like I'm not even in the game.

Me neither, though I did get these last week:
B8DxX66IMAAKnY8.jpg

They have no right to be so comfy TBH.

Hawkeye #19 was pretty good. Overall though, looking at #1-#19, something is missing in this series for me. It started off great and is peppered with some nice issues. But taken together, it feels like there is no direction to the series. (It is not the delays talking - those haven't really effected me yet). And the 'bro' stuff is overused.

You are coming upon one of my favourite arcs in comics. Hopefully you'll know which one I refer to once you read it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I don't know the names of the TPBs, but Red Sonja should be fairly easy to follow. There was one main series that ran for a few years, with one main storyline, which ended in #49 IIRC. This storyline is divided into two parts. The first part ends with
Sonja dying
and then picks up again when
she is essentially reincarnated...as herself and we get what is almost the same origin story again
before it gets right back into stuff from the first part. The issues after that are just various smaller stories.

Dynamite also released Queen Sonja, which is also one long story, entirely self-contained, about Sonja becoming the ruler of a country and her battles as a leader.

Then they stopped both of these series and started over with the new Red Sonja series, written by Gail Simone. I haven't read this yet.

The various one-shots and mini-series released should all be self-contained or should say if they are the sequels to other one-shots/minis. I haven't read Vulture's Circle yet...maybe it's just crap.

Speaking of which, I did just read The Black Tower, which is a four-issue mini involving the titular structure appearing in a town and making the people go crazy. Two people emerge from the tower and are labeled demons by the asshole badguy barbarian villain. He kills the man and tries to rape the woman before Sonja pops up and cuts off his finger after he touches her boob (yes, really), and then through the course of events...his junk. Anyway, the town becomes a den of sin and debauchery while the tower just sits there. The asshole barbarian guy becomes the town leader and after a number of years pass, gets people to bring him Sonja, who is now missing an eye. She of course stops him and then the tower doors open, and here's where shit gets stupid and weird.

Armored guys that almost look like Doombots holding lightsabers emerge and are revealed to in fact be robots. They take over the town and drive Sonja away. Years pass and the robots have made everyone's lives miserable. Their leader emerges from the tower and it is implied that his robot army has taken over the world. They have guns and tanks, so the barbarians are pretty much helpless. Sonja shows up again, now older (and by that, I mean she has some white streaks in her hair and otherwise looks the same. Come on, guys.) and leading a barbarian army. The robots easily crush the resistance and their leader cuts off Sonja's head. Yep, she's dead.

Fast forward a number of years and we find out that the leader is a human wearing armor. There's little pockets of resistance but his dictatorship stops anything from happening. People are now used to technology and would-be assassins use guns and such. There's a 'religion' that started off as black tower worshippers -all female- who have over time changed into essentially a bunch of whores worshipping the leader. He sleeps with one of them, a woman with short red hair (HINT) and then shows her that he is in fact a time traveler. The tower is a giant time machine and his parents are the two people who came out back in issue one. The woman then attacks him and reveals that she is either Red Sonja reincarnated, cloned, or something else (seriously, this is how the dialogue goes...not even the writer knows what's going on here, lol) and cuts off his head.

She then proceeds to go back in time to the beginning of the story. She kills asshole barbarian guy, then kills the main villain's (innocent) mother to prevent him from being born, which causes her to fade out of existence and the tower disappears. Then we see Sonja riding towards the town.

Welcome to Sonja and Conan.
Conan usually goes "he's cimmerian. he's a barbarian. he hates magic. the fuck else do you need to know?" as far as backstory is concerned.

Tbh they usually don't even detail the magic bit if it isn't in the current story.

By crom and stuff.

I mustve read more than 300 Conan stories. Here's what i know about sonja: she's a redhead in a metal thong, and she will only fuck the man that can defeat her. Afaik hasn't boned conan yet, even though he saved her ass and disarmed her dozens of times.

Comics from another time.

Welcome to Sonja and Conan.
Conan usually goes "he's cimmerian. he's a barbarian. he hates magic. the fuck else do you need to know?" as far as backstory is concerned.

Tbh they usually don't even detail the magic bit if it isn't in the current story.

By crom and stuff.

I mustve read more than 300 Conan stories. Here's what i know about sonja: she's a redhead in a metal thong, and she will only fuck the man that can defeat her. Afaik hasn't boned conan yet, even though he saved her ass and disarmed her dozens of times.

Comics from another time.

Oh I'm not judging i. I'm enjoying most of what I am dabbling in. I've probably liked 90% of what I've read. As a new reader Simone's run has really helped ease me in by basically saying "Don't worry about all this stuff I'll explain what you need to know". So of course when I deviate into stuff that long time fans would know it's like jumping into cape comics for the first time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I actually didn't think the Fantastic Four trailer looked that bad. I'll probaly end up watching it when it finally comes out.

http://youtu.be/e-BVs-KCSiA

My problem with the trailer is, that you actually dont see anything that could help determain if this is going to be a good comicbook movie or not.
Its just a couple of people standing in front of the camera, this would make everything at least look ok.

They could at least give us some shots of Doom or how they were suited up with a burning Human Torch and The Thing and everything. Then I could also really having an opinion on the trailer.

I just want to know if they will acknowledge Sue and Johnny. Are they step siblings or will they just straight ignore it.

I was always planning to see this, shitshow or not.

Duress

Reed Richards should have looked a bit older. Now I'm not saying robbing the cradle, pedophile older; but not some teenager looking guy either.

Boogiepop

So I actually didn't think the Fantastic Four trailer looked that bad. I'll probaly end up watching it when it finally comes out.

http://youtu.be/e-BVs-KCSiA

At the very least it'll be hard to be worse than the previous movies. Ugh, Rise of the Silver Surfer was probably the closest I've come to walking out on a movie in a theater.

And I like the way it flashed X-Men: Days of Future Past really clearly, but they made it easy to miss "from the Studio behind" (or whatever the exact phrasing was).

Sou Da

I'll say this: Fantastic Four trailer was better than the Ant-Man trailer.

Low bar imo.

I'd rather say it here than in the trailer thread because they take everything as console wars wankery but on a pure conceptual level: I'd always be more interested in seeing a movie about a guy that shrinks to perform a heist than a gritty reboot of a property I've seen before.

I never figured Mr. Mxyzptlk could one hit KO
Trigon
. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess it makes sense, given his power set.

Top Bottom