• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

mreddie

Marvel won.

I care more about Uncanny Inhumans and All New Inhumans than Extraordinary X-Men and All New X-Men. Might even drop the latter 2.
Also care more about Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur than All New Wolverine. Though I really like the latter.

You fool, that's what they want!

Sandfox

I'm actually enjoying the X-Men more than I expected this time around.

The only on of those DC series I'm interested in is Future Quest, though Wacky Raceland looks interesting.

So, catching up on multiple weeks worth of comics:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #0

I liked this a lot. Being a fan of MMPR myself, it was really enjoyable. Art is super on point. Like, I love the art. The action sequences are really well-drawn and paneled. An interesting place to start their story, though. Starting at
Tommy's defection just seems odd. Why wouldn't you start from right before Tommy is introduced
? That way Tommy's involved, and the Rangers have experience and weapons. Just seems odd. Of course the side stories were fun, too.

Seems like it'll be a fun read.

Black Canary #7

This book delivers. Honestly, the plot's super weird, and just kind of average, but goddamn Annie Wu is on fire. The paneling, fights, and visuals were all just super good, especially the
music sheet
. The main question is
"who is this ninja chick?" My guess is that it's either future Dinah, her mother, or whatever this incarnation of White Canary is.
I continue to look forward to this book, though Annie Wu is primarily attributed to that.

Starbrand and Nightmask #2

So, since I know nothing about these characters outside of this book and Infinity, I have no idea
what the "White Events" are
. That being said, I like where this is going, but it's hard for me to get invested in these characters. That said, reading Nightmask and Starbrand as being voice by Khary Payton and Jesse McCartney is on point for me. I'll continue to read it, but currently it's standing out too much. The action is just okay, but at the very least the plot and characters are interesting.

Old Man Logan #1

This book is on point already. That classic Sorrentino, and I've enjoyed Lemire's work in the past (Justice League Dark and Green Arrow), so I'm liking this so far. Plus, having liked the original story helps a lot. I'm glad they've made it less of a "fitting in the world" type scenario, and more of a "fixing my future" book. It works much better for Logan than the former. So, not much else to say other than my boys are delivering so far and I'm looking forward to more.

Uncanny X-Men #2

Christ Land get off this damn book! And Bunn needs to learn how to write dialogue better. Way too many ellipses. Anyways, I like the plot, except for
revisiting Apocalypse stuff. Look, I like what Remender did with that lore, but I'm getting the feeling that it's being overused. I suppose it's all to set up for Apocalypse War, though.
Oh, also,
Elixir's alive
. Will keep reading, but fuck Land.

Extraordinary X-Men #6

So, artist change! Though, not for the worst. I like this book because it's a superhero book. Like how the X-Men are superheroes and not just constantly fighting against bigotry and racism, or just being about kids growing up in the world. I like the dimension-hopping, superheroing they've got going on. But I do have a massive problem with them skirting around Cyclops. I'm tired of it. Drop the goddamned bomb already. Also,
I can understand Storm telling Logan she may need him to kill someone, but Sunfire? Last I checked Sunfire was busy being an Atomic Knight, having basically turned into a being of cosmic radiation. The fuck is he doing helping Scott to genocide Inhumans and now is in Weirdworld?
The fuck is going on? Also,
I like Peter in the role of mentor and Iceman coming out to Anole. I DON'T like Jean being this constant plot device or Nightcrawler pulling a Wolfsbane.
I'm intrigued enough to keep reading, but my frustration is building.

Ms. Marvel #3

So is that how 3D printers work? Also, what's that cover an homage to? Oh, still going to read by the way. A fun book, and I like Mike more and more. I also like where the plot's going. The whole "public image" thing is a cool way to go for her.

VanWinkle

Man, some of the pages in the Lemire GA deluxe are DENSE word-wise!

IMAG0385.jpg

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #3

Man,
Cho-Hulk
is getting around in some of these books. Regardless, I love Lunella. And her relationship with DD is developing. Beyond that, though, not much else to say about this book that I haven't already. Art's great, characters are great, and it's a fun book that I'm enjoying a lot.

All-New Inhumans #3

Damn this shit is getting intense. Black-ops? Psychic battles? I'm still unclear on what Grid and Panacea's powers actually are. WHY IS GORGON STILL IN THE CHAIR? Loving this book but WHY? WHY WHY WHY?

Uncanny Inhumans #4

Okay McNIven's art is growing on me. This book continues to be badass as hell. It's literally everything I love about the Inhumans. Get fucked Kang. What a time to be an Inhumans fan (said the only dedicated Inhumans fan on this forum).

All-New All-Different Avengers #4

Man Jarvis is so dead inside. Again, not much to say I haven't said that doesn't amount to more than this being a fun book, some solid action, and a decent plot. My only real issue is "Why is Kid Nova here?" Like, he adds nothing. He really doesn't I guess he is loud and outspoken? That's about it. Granted it's a slow issue, so I can't be too critical here, but hopefully it becomes more than just "decent."

The New Avengers #5

This book is fantastic. Fun as hell, great action, great art, great dialogue and characters. I love it. Billy Kaplan OP though

IMAG0385.jpg

Yeah that book can get really wordy at points.

IMAG0385.jpg

Stan Lee is perched on his shoulder.

I honestly thought it came out already.

Next week is the Black Science book 1 oversized hardcover!

I'm also wildly hyped about Future Quest. I mean look at this fucking promo:

Future-Quest-promo04.jpg

That is seriously stunning.

OK, changed my mind I'd buy this for sure. More Zorak is always welcome.

---

One of my favourite things this week has been reading Dalek's posts about how excited his Daughter is about Squirrel Girl. I've never read Squirrel Girl, but it's great to see someone find a character they love, even more so when their parent is really supportive about it! I can't wait till my wee lad finds his own favourite character (please not Reed Richards).

How good is it? I'm waiting until tomorrow to get it.

it's amazing. how this dude managed to make something so simple...complex, like these are some damn inventive line puzzles. and it's awesome how there's no tutorial or hints on how to solve them, just...figure it out. looks beautiful too.

i don't even fuck with puzzle games but this is looking like goty material to me.

Zombine

Banned
it's amazing. how this dude managed to make something so simple...complex, like these are some damn inventive line puzzles. and it's awesome how there's no tutorial or hints on how to solve them, just...figure it out. looks beautiful too.

i don't even fuck with puzzle games but this is looking like goty material to me.

God damn that's exciting.

Those GA pages are interesting. You don't see many comics with super dense dialogue anymore.

Those GA pages are interesting. You don't see many comics with super dense dialogue anymore.

There are like one or two books around like that these days, but since I've been reading some older stuff lately, it's definitely something I miss. If it's well done, you really just get lost in the exposition and dialogue.

Zombine

Banned
There are like one or two books around like that these days, but since I've been reading some older stuff lately, it's definitely something I miss. If it's well done, you really just get lost in the exposition and dialogue.

I always enjoyed the silly exposition in the old Marvel titles like Spider-Man.

gabbo

The only on of those DC series I'm interested in is Future Quest, though Wacky Raceland looks interesting.

I hope Future Quest incorporates Space Ghost Coast to Coast somehow, since that's the only context I have for the characters in that promo art.

I always enjoyed the silly exposition in the old Marvel titles like Spider-Man.

Hey, you read that Punisher Max collection yet? I was going to start it today. I'm pretty hyped about it, especially after the showing Lewis LaRosa gave in this week's Bloodshot Reborn.

Zombine

Banned
Hey, you read that Punisher Max collection yet? I was going to start it today. I'm pretty hyped about it, especially after the showing Lewis LaRosa gave in this week's Bloodshot Reborn.

Working on it. It's absolutely fucking brutal. I love how Ennis writes, and how he tries to show how Frank rationalizes what he does.

from the first issue he establishes that Frank is on a mission, and it's to kill as many people as he can for his own personal greater good that doesn't exist. He's just a thrill killer with a fucked up moral code.

Working on it. It's absolutely fucking brutal. I love how Ennis writes, and how he tries to show how Frank rationalizes what he does.

from the first issue he establishes that Frank is on a mission, and it's to kill as many people as he can for his own personal greater good that doesn't exist. He's just a thrill killer with a fucked up moral code.

That's an interesting take on the character. There's certainly a tradeoff in Ennis' style. I think Arseface is kind of the perfect example of this. The entire premise of it is in poor taste, yet throughout Preacher, Ennis completely justifies the existence of the character and actually gives him a lot of personification. Besides which, what initially started off as being tasteless ended up in some of the best dark humor in that book.

Anyway, I hope to start reading today.

VanWinkle

I'm really enjoying it. I have been a big prose novel fan for a long time, and I've only been into comics for less than a year, so I like that I can take my time with the pages and get more detail than I normally would in this medium.

I'm really enjoying it. I have been a big prose novel fan for a long time, and I've only been into comics for less than a year, so I like that I can take my time with the pages and get more detail than I normally would in this medium.

Every time you post pics from that collection, I feel like buying it and reading through it again. I read the first few issues once a few years ago, and I own the Outsiders War TPB (unread), but having it in one beautiful collection... damn.

VanWinkle

Every time you post pics from that collection, I feel like buying it and reading through it again. I read the first few issues once a few years ago, and I own the Outsiders War TPB (unread), but having it in one beautiful collection... damn.

I really do highly recommend it. I know you're a big OHC fan, too, so it's kind of a no-brainer for you.

I really do highly recommend it. I know you're a big OHC fan, too, so it's kind of a no-brainer for you.

Yeah, that's definitely me lol I am considering replacing a lot of my TPBs with OHCs as it is. This one should be a no-brainer. I just need to see if I can actually sell some of this stuff at a good price.

Owzers

The Transformers MTMtE books have a looooooot of dialogue. It's done well though

Good lord

When's the last time theouthousers wrote about Hillary scandals? Why doesn't DC have her as the head of the Injustice League?

Bias, that's why! It's why people get down on the Rockets just because they are conserving wins.

Owzers

I would assume that means Trump is the head of the JLA. I have to throw in the "of America," because it's the only kind of justice Trump cares about

Trump would make a great Lex Luthor. Bernie....The Riddler. Considering Johns did put Luthor on the Justice League..

Got around to watching LoT, gives me a feel of a 1980's team up comics, or a TV version of avengers. Kind of a stupid fun but I'll watch just for Cold, Heatwave and Stein. Hawkman's mace is too small.

BSherrod

I'm actually enjoying the X-Men more than I expected this time around.

Same. I've only read Extraordinary, but I like it. Over the last week or so I've been getting current on X-books because I haven't read them in YEARS. I'm up to Astonishing and I'm debating how thorough I need to be going forward because there is a lot you can potentially read, but Extraordinary has been good to me so far as far as current stuff goes.

EDIT: Reading the new Uncanny X-Men now, I haven't read a lot of books with Greg Land art but this one doesn't seem as egregious as some of the examples from other books I've seen.

VanWinkle

Not sure if anyone cares, but there are some Valiant OHCs that have weird discounts on them, putting them below IST's prices. They all contain 3 trades worth of issues, so they're a good deal.

The Valiant Deluxe - $15.47
Divinity Deluxe - $14.72
Bloodshot Deluxe Book 1 - $24.46
Bloodshot Deluxe Book 2 - $23.15
Harbinger Deluxe Book 2 - $26.48
Rai Deluxe Book 1 - $24.83
Ivar, Timewalker Deluxe Book 1 - $24.83
Archer & Armstrong Deluxe Book 2 - $25.30

Some of those are really tempting, but I can't really buy anything right now because of funds. :(

Some of those are really tempting, but I can't really buy anything right now because of funds. :(

Personally, I preordered a Rai and Ivar, because I know I'm going to buy those when they're released. But I see that they're pricematching Walmart.com, and I wish I could submit a lower price for Shadowman OHC 2, but I can't seem to find the damn button on their website. :mad:

Zombine

Banned
Not sure if anyone cares, but there are some Valiant OHCs that have weird discounts on them, putting them below IST's prices. They all contain 3 trades worth of issues, so they're a good deal.

The Valiant Deluxe - $15.47
Divinity Deluxe - $14.72
Bloodshot Deluxe Book 1 - $24.46
Bloodshot Deluxe Book 2 - $23.15
Harbinger Deluxe Book 2 - $26.48
Rai Deluxe Book 1 - $24.83
Ivar, Timewalker Deluxe Book 1 - $24.83
Archer & Armstrong Deluxe Book 2 - $25.30

No clue what I'm getting into with those deluxe books, but I have them preordered!

Why couldn't Jefte Palo and Lee Loughridge do ALL of the Yost and Kyle X-Force run?

All Wolverine dialogue just bleeds together for me at this point

grumble grumble best at what I do grumble grumble adamantium is the hardest metal ever and it's on my bones grumble grumble foot long unbreakable claws grumble grumble I'm a bad person because I kill people grumble grumble.

Hi Comic Gaf, i need your help! I have a insane long trip soon and i want to read some comics during it but i have no idea where to start. I'd like a complete story of Spiderman, Gaurdians Of The Galaxy or The Avengers. One where i don't need to know much about the characters backstory if that's possible. I've never read anything Marvel before so i figured i should finally give it a go :p Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Comic Gaf, i need your help! I have a insane long trip soon and i want to read some comics during it but i have no idea where to start. I'd like a complete story of Spiderman, Gaurdians Of The Galaxy or The Avengers. One where i don't need to know much about the characters backstory if that's possible. I've never read anything Marvel before so i figured i should finally give it a go :p Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi, friend!

A quick question that may help us better service you. What is your preference for reading/collecting - digital, trade paperback, or hardcover?

Top Bottom