• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Greatest doesn't equal best fam.

My point is that there was nothing that made them great. Their biggest accomplishments were dying. Oh, and before Hal died, he murdered damn near the entire corps after going insane via Parallax.

That's it. Johns' pushes these two in the most "tell, but don't show" manner ever.

He did the same thing with Hal and Barry. The greatest that ever lived, right? Not like Kyle and Wally were better, or anything.

Get ready for Jaime to drop off the map.

I don't see how it'd be possible for Jaime to drop even further off the map than he is now unless they do something truly ridiculous like kill him and give Ted the scarab.

Noooooo

I don't see how it'd be possible for Jaime to drop even further off the map than he is now unless they do something truly ridiculous like kill him and give Ted the scarab.

Noooooo

Guaranteed Ted gets the Scarab some how. Or develops an artificial Scarab or some shit. All of his weaponry and tech was derived from the Scarab, right?

I don't hate Ted but that'd be the biggest waste of a rebirth ever and not how I would start a relaunch.

I don't think Johns even cares for the character that much.

shingi70

Banned
Jamie can't drop further, Rebirth is about pushing what's hot in TV and Film, and Jamie is in the Teen Titans for the upcoming animates movie.

Yo people seem to hate DC for whatever reason, but loves when Marvel does the same thing.

Jamie can't drop further, Rebirth is about pushing what's hot in TV and Film, and Jamie is in the Teen Titans for the upcoming animates movie.

Yo people seem to hate DC for whatever reason, but loves when Marvel does the same thing.

Tbpf, I don't much care when Marvel does it, I'm only reading the 2 titles from them :p

I'm hoping you're right, though. I'm just nervous...

At what point has anyone, including myself, said they love it when Marvel makes stuff more in line with the movies? Or the constant #1's? At the very least in the past month? Genuinely curious.

I don't hate DC at all. I'm just fucking with Poodle. I literally don't know who else would be Rebirthed.

Owzers

At what point has anyone, including myself, said they love it when Marvel makes stuff more in line with the movies? Or the constant #1's? At the very least in the past month? Genuinely curious.

I don't hate DC at all. I'm just fucking with Poodle. I literally don't know who else would be Rebirthed.

Marcus Johnson, loved by all.

shingi70

Banned
At what point has anyone, including myself, said they love it when Marvel makes stuff more in line with the movies? At the very least in the past month? Genuinely curious.

I don't hate DC at all. I'm just fucking with Poodle. I literally don't know who would be Rebirthed.

I'm not talking Rebirth in particular just generally in the industry. When the New 52 first started their were a ton of female Solo books and female led team books. Yet when Marvel started to put out more female Led books the industry blew up fellating them with praise. Same thing with certain creators, where was the love for Soule be was working on DC items, or say David F Walker.

I mean I think DC You has been great but it seems that whatever DC does it gets shit on these days, while Marvel gets a bigger benefit of the doubt.

Started Astro City: Confession. Had never read the foreword of this volume before. Such an amazing introduction by Harlan Ellison. So the first 3 introductions in the HCs are Gaiman, Miller and Ellison. And none of them seem like a "my publisher made me" pieces.

I just saw that there is a Lazarus Sourcebook #1 coming in April.

"Following the revelations of "Poison" and leading into the bloody events of "Cull" with LAZARUS #22 in May, a new look at the world of LAZARUS: What's it like to live life under the Carlyle regime? This is where you find out!"

Zombine

Banned
I dropped it for a bit but I've gotten back into the book recently. It really is a good series. It's nice that the second hardcover finally got a mention in the new Image solicits.

I honestly thought it came out already.

Next week is the Black Science book 1 oversized hardcover!

I'm also wildly hyped about Future Quest. I mean look at this fucking promo:

Future-Quest-promo04.jpg

That is seriously stunning.

Busaiku

Marvel won.

I care more about Uncanny Inhumans and All New Inhumans than Extraordinary X-Men and All New X-Men. Might even drop the latter 2.
Also care more about Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur than All New Wolverine. Though I really like the latter.

tim1138

Marvel won.

I care more about Uncanny Inhumans and All New Inhumans than Extraordinary X-Men and All New X-Men. Might even drop the latter 2.
Also care more about Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur than All New Wolverine. Though I really like the latter.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is the best book Marvel is publishing, no shame in shame in caring about it more than anything else

Marvel won.

You left out the nest Marvel ongoing.

Even Busiek agrees.

Busiek said:
But then, thanks to the events, I read very little from the big universes any more, so I may be completely wrong and just not seeing it. I'm enjoying books like SQUIRREL GIRL and SILVER SURFER, and looking forward to the new Waid/Samnee BLACK WIDOW, but for the most part I find I'm following books where the editors and publishers aren't going to be deciding hey, let's revamp everything and take this book away from these guys and give it to those guys and establish a whole different approach, only to decide a while later that it's time to do that again, and nothing ever feels anything but transitory. So if there are exciting visions going on in the Big Two that aren't going to get blown up by the next event, I may not know much about them.

I don't think that's what that was at B&N. This is 3 volumes and is OHC.

Edit: Freeza, buy all the copies and sell it as a collectors piece.

Yeah, it was definitely there. It was a big-ass book they had to put on the top shelf because it was too tall vertically to fit on the lower ones.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, it was definitely there. It was a big-ass book they had to put on the top shelf because it was too tall vertically to fit on the lower ones.

Yeah. It's officially out on Tuesday. It's going to be a nice week to begin with:

Black Science OHC
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil vol 4 (I more or less ignored Cali DD, need to fix this.)

Yeah. It's officially out on Tuesday. It's going to be a nice week to begin with:

Black Science OHC
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Daredevil vol 4 (I more or less ignored Cali DD, need to fix this.)

Wait, Superior Foes omni next week? AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

In for both. I haven't put in an IST order in weeks.

Anyone playing the division beta?

The nvidia site for free beta codes crashed on me half a dozen times before I gave up in frustration.

I'll be playing the PC release of Rise of the Tomb Raider for the next few days, if this kidney infection doesn't kill me by then. I miss coffee.

I'm not talking Rebirth in particular just generally in the industry. When the New 52 first started their were a ton of female Solo books and female led team books. Yet when Marvel started to put out more female Led books the industry blew up fellating them with praise. Same thing with certain creators, where was the love for Soule be was working on DC items, or say David F Walker.

I mean I think DC You has been great but it seems that whatever DC does it gets shit on these days, while Marvel gets a bigger benefit of the doubt.

I think it has more to do with their mainstream image, more often then not. I think it's just because Marvel seems a lot more...open, I guess? I'll go with "open." Because of that, and the sheer variety of properties that are growing increasingly familiar to the general public and mainstream, Marvel receives more praise. Basically, they have better PR.

DC, on the other hand, has always been that company that is so firmly rooted in legacies and because of the reboots and the much larger Batman push than any other property, that people just aren't willing to care. I mean, look at what 90% of the mainstream has to say about DC: too many reboots, their only good character is Batman, etc. And the ones they do give solo books to are ones no one is familiar with.

Now, if you're talking strictly within the comics crowd, without including the mainstream at all, I can't help you. All I know is that current DC doesn't pull me in like the older DC stuff. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of older, familiar property books aside from Batman, and a lot of weird, experimental books. It also seems like DC neglects a lot of characters, and they have a very small handful of writers dominating them (Johns, Venditti, Lobdell). Granted, there are obviously more than that, and I applaud DC for their lineup, but a lot of their stuff isn't appealing to me yet. All I'm reading by them currently is Midnighter and Black Canary. However, if there is a massive shakeup as far as writers and artists go, I'm in. Give me someone who can write good chemistry between characters and put them on Red Hood and Arsenal and I will read the hell out of it.

I dunno. I feel like I'm basically just spitballing here and nothing I'm saying is making any sense. It's hard to put it into one cohesive thought, but there you go. DC just isn't appealing to the right crowds, I guess.

Top Bottom