• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Sometimes I wonder how I afforded all those comics when I was a kid. I remember I sold a lot of magic cards lol. I guess they were cheaper back then aswell.

I mean, like $4 a comic is crazy, 10 comics (which isn't a lot across multiple companies) is $40 that's almost the price of a new game for example, and I'm not buying a new game every week (or month really). These days I struggle to get a game on sale for $10, and that would buy me what, 2-3 issues I get through in 20 mins probably and probably never touch again?

I don't rag to rag on a medium I still love but...damn son. I miss having disposable income lol

Edit: I guess that's also why so may people trade wait aswell

I have seriously considered going back to the UK reprints for Marvel stuff, but MU is cheaper than that, and their desktop app's not so bad.

I was buying the books because I was like "I like following along as it happens!" but I realised lately I never actually do this. The last Marvel book I read day-and-date was probably Avengers Undercover.

Seriously considering dropping most of my books the last few days. Right now, only Archie, Rat Queens and Transformers MTMTE I read month to month. I'm wayyyy behind on most other things. I feel like I've hit the stage of the hobby again where I am accumulating first and reading second. It's not good for me, either health or budget wise.

It's not like comics go off anyway, well maybe some of the worse quality print ones rot.

So, I really want to read Kyle Rayner's solo GL run (pre-Rebirth), but I dunno if it's any good.

Are there any good runs within that time frame? Or should I stick to team books, like Morrison's JLA?

Sandfox

Sometimes I wonder how I afforded all those comics when I was a kid. I remember I sold a lot of magic cards lol. I guess they were cheaper back then aswell.

I mean, like $4 a comic is crazy, 10 comics (which isn't a lot across multiple companies) is $40 that's almost the price of a new game for example, and I'm not buying a new game every week (or month really). These days I struggle to get a game on sale for $10, and that would buy me what, 2-3 issues I get through in 20 mins probably and probably never touch again?

I don't rag to rag on a medium I still love but...damn son. I miss having disposable income lol

Edit: I guess that's also why so may people trade wait aswell

The longer you wait the cheaper it gets with comics. Buying comics day one is getting far too expensive, but the temptation to be caught on your favorite books and being able to dicsuss them is strong for most.

So despite the Robin volume being dedicated to Dixon's Robin series, the first half of volume 1 is Alan Grant's run on Detective Comics.

I'm okay with it, since he's pretty solid (playing up the detective aspect of Batman, which I like the most) and he has Breyfogle on art, which I also enjoy

Thoroughly mean thing to say for the sake of being mean.

Mr1BVux.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
So, I really want to read Kyle Rayner's solo GL run (pre-Rebirth), but I dunno if it's any good.

Are there any good runs within that time frame? Or should I stick to team books, like Morrison's JLA?

I read a lot of it years back, but it's rubbish and probably quite dated now. Ron Marz is not a great writer and I think Judd Winick was the other major writer of the character but I bailed before then.

Started to read the X-23 series. Not that good so far and too involved with things happening in other comics and the greater canon. Partly confirms fears about trying to just follow a single character. Admittedly I have only read her dedicated series (miniseries and one shot) and not all her appearances in other series aside from NYX.

Started to read the X-23 series. Not that good so far and too involved with things happening in other comics and the greater canon. Partly confirms fears about trying to just follow a single character. Admittedly I have only read her dedicated series (miniseries and one shot) and not all her appearances in other series aside from NYX.
Ive heard her series is pretty good but never seen it mentioned as a must read. What interested you enough to read the title?

Thanks to whoever recommended God Hates Astronauts in the previous thread. I just read through all ten issues and it's brilliant. Insanely creative and hilarious.
That would be our resident Ryan Browne fan, Tim, a man of refined taste for low selling titles.

Ive heard her series is pretty good but never seen it mentioned as a must read. What interested you enough to read the title?
I read the writer's Black Widow miniseries and figured I should check out her other work. Don't think she is particularly good but she is a woman working in the industry.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
On a mutant related note, I tried to start reading New X-men on MU.

Look at this shit. Garbage service.

dunno what the fuck youre doing but its full screen for me. unless you mean the image quality, in that case mweh. never bothered me, you get what you pay for I guess

dunno what the fuck youre doing but its full screen for me. unless you mean the image quality, in that case mweh. never bothered me, you get what you pay for I guess
Yes, I'm talking about the image quality. I don't think the service is worth what they ask, which is why I only use it during promotions.

I read a lot of it years back, but it's rubbish and probably quite dated now. Ron Marz is not a great writer and I think Judd Winick was the other major writer of the character but I bailed before then.
Aw well that's a shame. Kyle's my favorite lantern

tim1138

Aw well that's a shame. Kyle's my favorite lantern

If you can find the Ion trades (best bet will be the library, vol 2 is forever out of print and it's not on CMX), check that run out. It wasn't horribly long and I remember it being a fairly enjoyable read.

I read it way back when and I remember enjoying it. It's not great but it was good enough for me to keep picking up older trades

If you can find the Ion trades (best bet will be the library, vol 2 is forever out of print and it's not on CMX), check that run out. It wasn't horribly long and I remember it being a fairly enjoyable read.

Sick.

It sucks being a fan of Kyle and Wally right now

Boogiepop

I have done it. I have read the entire Mignolaverse, or at least all of it that exists in trades so far. I've mostly talked about stuff while going through it, but it's totally all worth it. Though at least to me, the Abe Sapien stuff felt a little on the weak side. I guess maybe since his title is one that exists right alongside the "main" BPRD stuff, so it has the most "spin-off" feel.

So, I do want to talk about the latest BPRD: Hell on Earth, though.
I don't know how I feel about placing Johann in their yet, but putting the events of Sledgehammer 44 right in the forefront was cool, as it was the most detached/"least important" series up until this point. Hell, you can tell they knew it, as they literally spent several pages retelling that book straight up. Also, kind of a shame to see Enos die like that. Like, he was probably the most successful attempt thusfar to make a "grunt" interesting, and his death didn't feel like it really needed to be him, and didn't really add much over it not being a random grunt taking that role. Also totally thought for a bit he was going to become Sledgehammer for a bit, which would've been neat, but oh well. Guessing things with him aren't entirely done yet, though, thanks to that pendant.

Also, capped this off with Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and The Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Stories. The Batman was... okay. Definitely would've preferred a Batman written by Mignola instead of just half pencilled by him, so I guess I'll need to look into The Doom That Came To Gotham. Amazing Screw-on Head was a great cap off to the Mignolaverse (for now), though. Just super fun and legitimately funny.

Some recent stuffs

Paper Girls 1-3: re-read 1 & 2 before reading 3. This is some damn good comics. The art, the dialogue, the characterization.. Top shelf. Being in on this from the ground floor is special.

Symmetry #1: this is a #1 that needed to be double sized. There was so much world and story to set up that I feel the actual protagonists are just glossed right over. The art, I'd say, is only serviceable. It's too bad because I find this type of story to be fascinating. I think the world is actually really well-thought out. But this book just isn't good enough to go on my pull.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3: there is so much to love about this series. My favorite thing about it is probably how it portrays famous, classic Marvel characters. While issue 3's Doctor Doom isn't quite on the level of Squirrel Girl Galactus, it's still pretty funny.

Prometheus Eternal one-shot: damn this was just awesome! One shots are often a gamble but when they pay off, they pay off big. This comic has so many things I love: Greek mythology, a dissection of classic art, and short form comic story telling from gifted creators.

Totally Awesome Hulk #1: as I'm keen to trim my pull, I went into this kind of hoping I'd hate it. I guess in that vein, I was disappointed. Such fist-smashing fun. The art was so freaking good. Love Amadeus.

Island 1-4: unf! I had been buying but not yet reading this monthly Brandon Graham/Emma Rios curated anthology. I'm so glad I have it as it's my new treasure. These are life blood comics. These are creators who are in the medium for the love, the art, and the love of art. I need to make a post just about this series and share some pages because the art is often out-of-this-world. These are discussion comics and there is much to say.

[url="http://unbeatablesquirrelgirl.tumblr.com/post/136626314976/one-year-ago-on-this-very-day-the-first-issue-of]Ryan North posted on the Squirrel Girl tumblr about the series officially being a year old[/url]

Crazy to think it's been out a year already! I'm really happy to see it getting so much praise, it deserves it.

Owzers

[url="http://unbeatablesquirrelgirl.tumblr.com/post/136626314976/one-year-ago-on-this-very-day-the-first-issue-of]Ryan North posted on the Squirrel Girl tumblr about the series officially being a year old[/url]

Crazy to think it's been out a year already! I'm really happy to see it getting so much praise, it deserves it.

Poor guy doesn't even know his book's been canceled, just keeps pushing on.

tim1138

Yeah I'll check out New Guardians and I'll wait until Omega Men is done and in trade

I personally stopped reading New Guardians at issue 20, and it has a very natural ending point there. GrandHarrier is the only person I know who carried on with it after 20, he seemed to like it ok, so do with that as you will.

List.

My BuyList via Comics Day App
BATMAN BEYOND #8 $2.99
SHERIFF OF BABYLON #2 (MR) $3.99
NAILBITER #19 (MR) $2.99
DARTH VADER #15 VDWN $3.99
STAR WARS #14 VDWN $3.99
VISION #3 $3.99
SPIDER-MAN DEADPOOL #1 $3.99

I personally stopped reading New Guardians at issue 20, and it has a very natural ending point there. GrandHarrier is the only person I know who carried on with it after 20, he seemed to like it ok, so do with that as you will.

I thought it wasn't that long, though? Didn't it end with Johns' GL run?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So guuuuys. There's a pretty good chance I'll be getting this job in Manchester, Vermont. :D

Top Bottom