• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Thanks all for the congrats! I'm the chuffed Father of a baby boy, who we've called Carter Kingsley Luchador. Over the moon, already read him his first comic, it was Avengers #52 where Black Panther was framed for the death of the Avengers by the Grim Reaper.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thanks all for the congrats! I'm the chuffed Father of a baby boy, who we've called Carter Kingsley Luchador. Over the moon, already read him his first comic, it was Avengers #52 where Black Panther was framed for the death of the Avengers by the Grim Reaper.

You should have called him Tchalla

Congratulations :D

El Topo

I...honestly don't get why Paper Girls has gotten such good reviews/recommendations.

Congratulations.

El Topo

Because it has great art and it is fun thus far with some mystery.

Fair enough. I guess in all fairness it seems heads and shoulders above some of the other comics I looked into over the holidays (not the ones you guys recommended).

The long haul being 4 issues?

tumblr_inline_nggfyv60Uk1s8lsl9.gif

Foofaraw

Where's my dope-ass Black Bolt statue?

It's something I want

Also I wasn't aware Tim Drake's parents were millionaire industrialists. I always thought his backstory was like B:TAS. His dad was a small-tine crook trying to make ends meet, and his mom died when he was super young. In fact, didn't Boomerang kill his dad in the comics?
I think Brad Meltzer killed his parents. Because he is a monster.

El Topo

I'm on issue 2, felt like years since i started reading the series.

I'm going to read issue 3 tonight because of this talk, i liked the first two a lot.

I liked the first two issues, but the last two not so much. It's not bad, there's a lot of nice little things to appreciate, I'm just not blown away by it.

Boogiepop

Congrats!

Also, in other topics today marks the first time in nearly a year that Archie has put out SOMETHING in their Sonic/Mega Man trades (on IST), the collected version of the crossover. So that's something at least, though it's a shame it's just a bigger collection of something that's already in trade format.

I've realized, btw, that this mess means in some degree I'm almost certainly going to be buying a series from Comixology for the first time. Like, their "Saga" line is almost certainly cancelled, and the "Archives" line both sucks (it's in a tiny manga-esque format) and will probably never reach the stuff Saga was covering. (For clarity, Archives is a line for old stuff starting at the beginning, whereas Saga skipped ahead to around 160 where the author who didn't massively suck took things over). Though maybe the "current" line of trades (ie post reboot) will at least be able to actually come out... Would also like to at least have Mega Man in print...

Oh, and since Figure talk is on a bit right now, I did get the awesome figuarts Zero Luffy+Law deluxe figure thing, which is awesome (though not exactly on topic)

It's basically the lifetime achievement award from the biggest comics festival in the world, as voted on by a whole mess of industry professionals from pretty much everywhere. (Or at least in theory, there's been some controversy in recent years about exactly that). Winner gets to preside over next year's festival, among other things. It's pretty much the biggest award in comics, above even the Eisner.

Moebius actually did win it in 1981, so, that's what it means.

I think it's like a hall of fame kinda thing, Otomo won recently iirc

and I'm 90% sure moebius already got his

Ah that makes more sense. thanks guys

It does seem to be about as hard to get as possible if Jodo, Manara, Miller and Moore havent gotten it yet. Still you think they'd at least be able to think of one female creator worth nominating. There are plenty to choose from. I find it especially odd I didn't even see Kirby nominated but Lee is. Looks like Eisner was one of the firsts so theres that

tim1138

This all sounds fantastic

Nrama: Yeah. And the series continued a little after Scott left. Is this mini-series going to pick up where that series left off?

Wein: No. It actually isn't. I'm sort of, I guess, going back to "square 2," not square 1. I mean there's been so much that's gone on with the character, so much with the Parliament of Trees and all the other colors of the rainbow — the Rot and the Red and the Gray and the polka dot — that I wanted to sort of clear the air, at least initially for these six issues.

So I'm going places that I have not been before. I don't disavow any of what they did. I simply don't play off of it.

I go off on my own direction.

PsychBat!

Banned
He kinda is tho, Psych.

Or maybe it's just Ellis?

It's Ellis.

EDIT: Norman's elevation to top cop seemed to be a Bendis idea. Like after his success with the whole Ultimate Six arc in the Ultimate Spidey book, he didn't get enough of Norman so he spread his love to the mainstream 616 universe and pushing Norman as the ultimate (lol) bad guy, even above Doom of all people. It's just so weird to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PSA for MU users that didn't notice, they added 2 more issues today. Master of Kung Fu #4 and 1872 #1 (secret wars #1s are truly neverending)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Weird 1872 should have come out before Red Skull or Hail Hydra.

Most of this week's issues actually show up before last week's ones in the library. Methinks there was a mix up there. Also is it normal for Master of Kung Fu to already be on its 4th and final (?) Issue?

I really like Green Lantern: Secret Origins, but I bet I'd really love it if I liked Hal. Like, at all. It sucks that he's the focal point of Johns' run, because I'd love it that much more.

Instead Hal remains an unlikable piece of shit.
Sorry, sold out.

I totally would have bought their Ms. Marvel if I knew about them at the time.
GODDAMNIT

SO COOL

Although wielding the staff (which looks like the Codex) looks like some Aquaman shit. I'm okay with that
I think Brad Meltzer killed his parents. Because he is a monster.

Well Alan Grant killed his mom during his Detective Comics run, but his dad is fully paralyzed. Not dead.

Owzers

I read Paper Girls #3 and am watching Trump's rally live.

Paper Girls is getting dangerously close to the "too weird for its own good" area where i don't feel like i've grown attached to the book enough to care about the weirdness.

Anyone else reading The Goddamned besides Psychbat? Ya'll need to get on board with that book.

Read the first issue. Fell into that category of Great Comics I Just Don't Like. It's in good company with Monstress and a bunch of other ComicGaf favorites. It's too brutal and violent for my fragile sensibilities.

I read Paper Girls #3 and am watching Trump's rally live.

Paper Girls is getting dangerously close to the "too weird for its own good" area where i don't feel like i've grown attached to the book enough to care about the weirdness.

This is a fair criticism. I think I just #trustinBKV so much that I can be patient. I expect to get into all this weird stuff as it starts to make more sense. Honestly though, I'd be just as happy if this was a less weird story about these kids. What I love about the book is how real these kids feel. And the art, man, damn.

Owzers

BKV kinda lost my trust with Saga, I still enjoy reading it monthly but the story doesn't interest me like i hoped it would. I'll stick with Paper Girls a bit because of Chiang and trust remnants.

Wow. Been reading Grant Morrison's Nameless. It's been awesome, gorgeous, graphic, and interesting so far. It's really scratching the space horror itch.

Owzers

So it's awesome?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. I still enjoy reading it but i won't be buying the deluxe hardcover because i don't think it has a story worth rereading, more a journey of lewd shocking things that i like from month to month.

Messi

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. I still enjoy reading it but i won't be buying the deluxe hardcover because i don't think it has a story worth rereading, more a journey of lewd shocking things that i like from month to month.

I find the story of family and what they will do for each other and how far they will go to be much stronger than the shock images peppered throughout.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Sillymonkey: The guy so negative he doesn't even like the things that he likes.

I find the story of family and what they will do for each other and how far they will go to be much stronger than the shock images peppered throughout.

Absolutely. And it so is about family. From our core family and their extended family, to
The Will and his adopted daughter and his sister
, to the robot royal family, it really is about what matters most. And I personally think all the far out crazy stuff works so well. If it's sex, then its reminding us of these characters' primal needs. If it's a rocket tree, then it's about the beauty and power of nature and imagination. There isn't lost meaning to me,
even in a dragon sucking itself off. That served to throw us off balance and relax us before one of the most upsetting turns of events the series has seen.

Messi

Absolutely. And it so is about family. From our core family and their extended family, to
The Will and his adopted daughter and his sister
, to the robot royal family, it really is about what matters most. And I personally think all the far out crazy stuff works so well. If it's sex, then its reminding us of these characters' primal needs. If it's a rocket tree, then it's about the beauty and power of nature and imagination. There isn't lost meaning to me,
even in a dragon sucking itself off. That served to throw us off balance and relax us before one of the most upsetting turns of events the series has seen.

Yo all of this.

tumblr_nvfmtoC9r21qai6rlo1_1280.jpg

I can count on one hand the books that can match the feeling this page gives me. Oh and this page works because of the dirty shit you see on the planet she was rescued from.

Top Bottom