• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

I BEAT YOU ALL HA HA HA HA

968405-205.jpg

I saw your edit.

Vyer

There is going to be one later this year, I think it's a Digital First title.

It won't though. Videos of people with that thing on their heads will be the new cat videos for a few months, and then it will die off again.

Maybe I'm old, but the thought of a room full of people, each with one of those things on their heads, it annoys me on a fundamental level.

It won't really be about a room full of people though, or at least not much outside of those experiences where most of the other people don't have them on too and/or are waiting for their turn

It's not really like a google glass situation, where you're roaming the streets with stuff on your head and pointing a camera in stranger's faces. It's much more a 'gaming/watching in your living room' sort of thing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wasnt Mystique going to be on Uncanny?

Arsenic

Today on Vox's Discover channel on snapchat (I KNOW, put the swords down), they went in detail about two wonderful comics: "Calvin & Hobbes" and "The Far Side". I have very little memory of both (I was only 8-9 by the end of publication) but was intrigued by the depth of the comics. I haven't read any comics since I was a preteen, but I suddenly feel the need to experience both of these entirely.

Which brings me to the point. I'm looking to purchase full editions of both, and came across these on Amazon:

The Complete Far Side $60 (orig $100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1449460046/?tag=neogaf0e-20

&

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes $60 (orig $100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1449433251/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The reviews for The Far Side looks great and safe to buy, however the ones written for Calvin and Hobbes are great but with flaws. The binder and pages falling out seems to be common issue and for me, as ill be a first time reader, I don't want to be too gentle nor do i want missing pages.

Does anyone know if this minor issue has been fixed recently? The publication date says 2013, but the comments go back as far as 2005. I dont know if they addressed the issue or not. How can I find out?

To be clear, I'm not a comic collector nor a huge fan, I just want to experience the comic in its entirety without the bindings falling apart on me.

Vyer

I can't answer your question, but I just want to say I envy you getting to experience those strips for the first time. :)

Mafro

Ultimates 3 is getting way better than I thought. Carol needs to be gone and just stay in A-Force though.
I don't really see the point in her on that team in Ultimates when Best Captain Marvel and Miss America are already on it. Smasher or Abigail Brand would have been a better fit.

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes $60 (orig $100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1449433251/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The reviews for The Far Side looks great and safe to buy, however the ones written for Calvin and Hobbes are great but with flaws. The binder and pages falling out seems to be common issue and for me, as ill be a first time reader, I don't want to be too gentle nor do i want missing pages.

Does anyone know if this minor issue has been fixed recently? The publication date says 2013, but the comments go back as far as 2005. I dont know if they addressed the issue or not. How can I find out?

The newer comments might be for the paperback collection. The HC collection came out in 2005. I own the HC (I was actually reading it again during the holidays) and I didn't see any of the binding issues some of the reviews have mentioned.

zeeaykay

To be clear, I'm not a comic collector nor a huge fan, I just want to experience the comic in its entirety without the bindings falling apart on me.

Oh man, you're in for a treat. Calvin and Hobbes aged so well, I think it's even better to read as an adult. Makes me feel nostalgia and wonder when I read it now, even though I missed most of it growing up.

I have the complete C&H and haven't had any problems. I think the packaging is great!

To clarify, I have the paperback editions.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
from the little ive seen of the art, Vision and his family look creepy. I take it thats intended given the vibe of the book?

tim1138

Today on Vox's Discover channel on snapchat (I KNOW, put the swords down), they went in detail about two wonderful comics: "Calvin & Hobbes" and "The Far Side". I have very little memory of both (I was only 8-9 by the end of publication) but was intrigued by the depth of the comics. I haven't read any comics since I was a preteen, but I suddenly feel the need to experience both of these entirely.

Which brings me to the point. I'm looking to purchase full editions of both, and came across these on Amazon:

The Complete Far Side $60 (orig $100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1449460046/?tag=neogaf0e-20

&

I have the paperback Calvin & Hobbes collection and I haven't experienced any issues with the binding.

Late to the discussion on this one, but I've been playing Wolfestein lately and absolutely loved it. Highly recommended.

I need to play that, I got about half an hour in and the audio glitched on me, so it just played what sounded like the Inception horn over and over again until I quit out of the game. I got the worst headache ever from it.

I really gotta make up that "games I will play in 2016" list.

I need to play that, I got about half an hour in and the audio glitched on me, so it just played what sounded like the Inception horn over and over again until I quit out of the game. I got the worst headache ever from it.

I really gotta make up that "games I will play in 2016" list.

Oh, I had that audio for a while but I just thought it was that part of the game as it stopped once I moved on.

Owzers

I have to say guys, I'm really enjoying ANAD Marvel. It's an excellent change of pace so far from the past....decade or so?

seems like it's only getting better too, Black Panther and Gwenpool potential in April. I still not that enthused about reading New Avengers and Waid Avengers even on MU, but i'll give them a try because it's MU.

DC on the other hand....

PsychBat!

Banned
Marvel NOW! was when they were really knocking it out of the park in comparison to the event heavy Bendis era. ANAD is just a continuation of NOW!

Messi

Yeah. Marvel is stepping up with the new stuff they got going on right now.
I wasn't knocking ANAD. :)

Oh I get that. I just wish the Avengers books were better. I'd love Asrars art to be on a better written book.

Very excited for Miles coming back soon too.

Here is my list.

Destiny

Here's my current list:

Assassin's Creed (any one of them, probably Black Flag)
Batman - A Telltale Games Series
The Beginner's Guide
Chroma Squad
Cuphead
Darkest Dungeon
Dark Souls (at least the first one)
Divinity Original Sin EE (I have a co-op partner for this)
Doorkickers
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dying Light
Fable Anniversary
Grow Home
Hand of Fate (finish)
Hard West
Just Cause 3
Invisible Inc.
LEGO (any one of them, probably Marvel 1 or LOTR)
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Ori and the Blind Forest
Overwatch
Pillars of Eternity
Remember Me
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Satellite Reign
Shadow Warrior
Shovel Knight
Street Fighter V
Total War: Warhammer
Transistor
Transformers Devastation (still gotta finish the story)
Undertale
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (need group)
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (I keep forgetting I own this because my copy is GOG)
Wolfenstein: The New Order
XCOM 2

Trying to keep the 2016 game number low.

Not counting Hearthstone, Magic Duels, Marvel Heroes or Heroes of the Storm, because they're my podcast/talk to friends games.

I'm probably crazy, but I only have a three day work week, and since I started getting into shape I find I only need about six hours of sleep a night anyway. Hoping to do more streaming as well, last two days have been recording and testing stuff, desperately reading through my Audio Production notes from college.

shingi70

Banned
DC tends to get alot of slack but only a few of their books are truly average/bad.

Invincbile Iron Man had a pretty dope moment.

Oh I get that. I just wish the Avengers books were better. I'd love Asrars art to be on a better written book.

Avengers? Ha ha ha. I tried those books for like, one issue. I just can't get into Avengers anymore. But the standalone books are great. Ms. Marvel, Ultimates, Vision. This stuff is a blast to read.

DC tends to get alot of slack but only a few of their books are truly average/bad.

Not from me they don't. >:D

I would like a more traditional Avengers book. A relatively classic line-up, with the Mansion, fighting the Masters of Evil, Kang, Ultron and the rest. Doesn't even have to be in continuity. It's funny that Uncanny Avengers was the closest thing to that since the days of Busiek and Perez.

Even X-Men has an out of continuity series right now and Marvel hates them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I would like a more traditional Avengers book. A relatively classic line-up, with the Mansion, fighting the Masters of Evil, Kang, Ultron and the rest. Doesn't even have to be in continuity. It's funny that Uncanny Avengers was the closest thing to that since the days of Busiek and Perez.

Even X-Men has an out of continuity series right now and Marvel hates them.

This is what I want for the X-Men. X-Men 92 just isn't going to cut it though. Too much of a spoof.

Right now the only two ANAD books that I'm really interested in are A-Force and Deadpool/Spidey.

There are a few maybes as will like The Ultimates, Extraordinary X-men, an Silk.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How is
Archangel
in Uncanny when
Warren
is in other books?

Edit: Yeah, Ultimates is great.

Top Bottom