• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Mindwipe

The first volume of Bart Allen as the Flash is the most 90s thing. Edgy, emo protagonist, douche roommate villain, terrible female characters used as decoration and trophies, bad art etc etc.

Which is weird, because it came out in 2006.

So we really lost Messi? :(

memorandum.png

These Marvel drop offs are ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Invincible Iron Man #1 279,514
Invincible Iron Man #2 66,664
Invincible Iron Man #3 59,069

Fighting to stay above Harley Quinn's 22nd issue.

Listening to the Mayo Report podcast and it's sounding like by issue 3 the books are returning to pre-Secret Wars numbers or even dipping below. So it's Star Wars and #1's inflating Marvel's percentages right now.

Sandfox

These Marvel drop offs are ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Invincible Iron Man #1 279,514
Invincible Iron Man #2 66,664
Invincible Iron Man #3 59,069

Fighting to stay above Harley Quinn's 22nd issue.

Listening to the Mayo Report podcast and it's sounding like by issue 3 the books are returning to pre-Secret Wars numbers or even dipping below. So it's Star Wars and #1's inflating Marvel's percentages right now.

Iron Man #1 had a ton of variants that inflated the initial numbers. Now we just need to see where Marvel's sales stabilize. I'm honestly pretty done looking at those numbers because they aren't an accurate indicator for the most part these days.

Just read Vision 2 and 3 back to back. What a great book so far. It keeps the unsettling tone from the first issue and goes in a very interesting direction. The cliffhangers in these issues were great and I'm real excited to see where it goes next. This is the standout book of ANAD so far.

Vision's wife is best character.

Iron Man #1 had a ton of variants that inflated the initial numbers. Now we just need to see where Marvel's sales stabilize. I'm honestly pretty done looking at those numbers because they aren't an accurate indicator for the most part these days.

This is all obvious. My point was just that the numbers are returning to pre ANAD numbers.

I had a couple of issues left from the Damage Control TPB (Civil War and World War Hulk) tie-ins left, so wrapped those up yesterday. Some funny moments, but didn't really capture the magic of the previous runs.

Now, where's my ongoing (and TV show*) Marvel?

*(Thinking a little more on it, a TV show might not work. A series like Damage Control will require a lot of cameos from the "big" characters. And looking at the half-assed wink-and-nudge references in AoS, Marvel TV doesn't seem to have the clout to pull that off).

Sadist

Psylocke feeling guilty? What a new and interesting direction to take her character.
It's not. She's boring as fuck, and it's been done.
Crap, should have been more snarky in my post lol. I meant Psylocke is indeed boring and they keep her in the same place. Every team she's in, she has the same role.

Captain America: White #5

Appears to be something in my eyes...damn it...vision's all blurry and shit..

Anyways, what other series are there like this? Spider-Man: Blue; Daredevil: Yellow; and Hulk: Grey. Any others? And are all of them this good?
I've read Hulk: Grey two months ago and it kicks ass. It's remarkable how Loeb and Sale are this great team together.

Vision's wife is best character.
No lies detected. Although Vision's outburst towards Tony was pretty "Woah!" to me.

I had a couple of issues left from the Damage Control TPB (Civil War and World War Hulk) tie-ins left, so wrapped those up yesterday. Some funny moments, but didn't really capture the magic of the previous runs.

Now, where's my ongoing (and TV show*) Marvel?

*(Thinking a little more on it, a TV show might not work. A series like Damage Control will require a lot of cameos from the "big" characters. And looking at the half-assed wink-and-nudge references in AoS, Marvel TV doesn't seem to have the clout to pull that off).

I think they are doing a tv show based on that, though I'm not sure what station. I know NBC just picked up a similar pilot from DC.

Surprised to see ANAD dip so quick. I haven't been keeping up with it, but I wonder if it's because of the massive delays on the main title or the lack of changes to the marvel universe (or so I've heard).

Guys, I like the Batmobile in Arkham Knight. Shit is rad.

I just finished season of infamy and enjoyed it. I wish more DLC was like that, built into the game, than a separate module. At the very least they could have done episodic content. The bat mobile is fun, but it's just not what Batman is all about for me.

My only real super big disappointments with the game were:
A missed opportunity to make Arkham Knight a new character, to add to the Batman mythos like Dini did with Harley.
No Court of Owls, reusing a lot of villains. I was super surprised to see Grundy in AC, it was such a great moment. I was hyped when they had Prometheus in the files.
No other hero cameos. References aren't enough, I really wanted to see Supes make a quick cameo post credits or something.They upped the references in this game a ton with Lex, Metropolis, Central City and Iron Heights, but it seems like they're still reluctant to have the other heroes. For people that Bruce works with everyday and considers friends, you think he had some more interaction.
Lack of boss battles. I enjoyed AO's boss battles and the fights in AC, it seems like they all but evaporated in Arkham Knight.

Mechanically the game was fun for the most part.

So somehow I only just heard about this and it's amazing.

Yeah, I mean, I didn't really feel it before this issue, but I'm getting some pretty misandrist vibes from the book now. And it seems like pretty much every male character is a shitbag. It's definitely a different book than it was in earlier issues. I may give it another issue (#7 starts a new arc, #6 was backstory for one of the characters from the last arc - dark stuff.)

See, I'm not really getting any of that, although it's certainly quite dark and honestly can be painful to read. It's a bit weird to mention it after an issue that very clearly has a non-asshole guy playing a major role. I mean yes, most of the other men have been awful, but a lot of that being awful has been pretty much directly from the gender politics and culture portrayed in the comic up to this point. It's made clear that not everyone agrees with it but there really isn't an option to not go along.

On top of all that, this is the story of the women and not the men, at least at this point, and I expect that to be where most/all of the focus remains. As a result they are going to be in the orbit of a lot of shitbag men. I mean, clearly those with power are pushing this angle and most of it is inside a prison so yeah. But again, it's not about the men, it's about the women.

I just finished season of infamy and enjoyed it. I wish more DLC was like that, built into the game, than a separate module. At the very least they could have done episodic content. The bat mobile is fun, but it's just not what Batman is all about for me.

My only real super big disappointments with the game were:
A missed opportunity to make Arkham Knight a new character, to add to the Batman mythos like Dini did with Harley.
No Court of Owls, reusing a lot of villains. I was super surprised to see Grundy in AC, it was such a great moment. I was hyped when they had Prometheus in the files.
No other hero cameos. References aren't enough, I really wanted to see Supes make a quick cameo post credits or something.They upped the references in this game a ton with Lex, Metropolis, Central City and Iron Heights, but it seems like they're still reluctant to have the other heroes. For people that Bruce works with everyday and considers friends, you think he had some more interaction.
Lack of boss battles. I enjoyed AO's boss battles and the fights in AC, it seems like they all but evaporated in Arkham Knight.

Mechanically the game was fun for the most part.
I'm thinking about just buying the character episodes instead of paying for that overpriced season pass. Together it's like a little over $20 I think.
Driving it through Gotham is fun. The combat isn't though.
I don't have a problem with the combat at all but then again I'm a natural when it comes to controlling tanks and can put up with the unnatural handling. It's a little too wavy moving at times but overall It feels fluid to me and I'm able to make my shots.

I don't have a problem with the combat at all but then again I'm a natural when it comes to controlling tanks and can put up with the unnatural handling. It's a little too wavy moving at times but overall It feels fluid to me and I'm able to make my shots.

It's not just that it's awkward to control. Tank combat in a Batman game doesn't really interest me and feels like a bit of a slog by the time you've finished the game.

On top of all that, this is the story of the women and not the men, at least at this point, and I expect that to be where most/all of the focus remains. As a result they are going to be in the orbit of a lot of shitbag men. I mean, clearly those with power are pushing this angle and most of it is inside a prison so yeah. But again, it's not about the men, it's about the women.

I understand that as far as the story is concerned, but I feel more and more like I'm just reading a piece by someone using writing to vent their frustrations. And that's fine, but it's becoming increasingly clear that this isn't a book for me.

P7tMEBY.jpg

This is the first time I've seen Kirby's art colored like this. Really wonder what Kirby could have done if he wasnt drawing multiple books at a time with todays printing methods

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I understand that as far as the story is concerned, but I feel more and more like I'm just reading a piece by someone using writing to vent their frustrations. And that's fine, but it's becoming increasingly clear that this isn't a book for me.

I feel like this paragraph could easily be used to describe what Black Science has turned into as well.

Crap, should have been more snarky in my post lol. I meant Psylocke is indeed boring and they keep her in the same place. Every team she's in, she has the same role.
Yup. She's like Gambit; everyone likes her because of her looks and powers (she's ninja who can make psychic constructs), but in reality she has the same damn personality in everything. At least Uncanny X-Force did a really good job with her. So did Spurrier's X-Force.
P7tMEBY.jpg

This is the first time I've seen Kirby's art colored like this. Really wonder what Kirby could have done if he wasnt drawing multiple books at a time with todays printing methods
Trippy

Messi

This is kinda how I feel. I am glad people are enjoying it but it's not for me.

Owzers

I found everything about the game to be boring. It's what killed my interest in gaming.

i've been disappointed in most games i've played this generation, even stuff like Witcher 3, i don't understand how they thought their Fetch Ciri storyline was a good idea.

Today is dcbs day.

Fair enough on the last point. I'll also admit to being fairly defensive about this sort of thing.

Nightwing Vol. 3: False Starts

This is a weird volume. We start off with Nightwing/Huntress, which is a pretty cool storyline, plus I always enjoy a little Helena Bertenelli. Then we god back to Bludhaven and continue storylines from the last time. Then we go to Gotham for a No Man's Land crossover, then back to Bludhaven.

Now all of that works, It flows well, no real loos ends, and I really like the Bludhaven storylines. However, we have one issue that appears to be another tie-in that involves Dick working with Tim, Bruce and CONNOR HAWKE to take down clans of martial artists who are at war with each other in the still-quaked Gotham. Apparently Connor is a focal point of this story somehow. Regardless, the issue ends with Dick and Connor finding Lady Shiva murdering a bitch. Or twenty.

After that it's back to Bludhaven as if that issue never happened, where we get relationship advice from Dick and we learn Dick took the exam to become a cop.

I love this run, but that one issue throws me off.

Defensive about someone not liking the direction a book is taking?

More the "It's overly aggressive and all the men are evil" angle. I'm not accusing anyone here of it, but that's in line with a lot of anti-feminist messaging.

I noticed. And I can certainly understand why, but it feels like DeConnick is getting overly aggressive here.

And I think this is where I just come from a different point of reference than you do. I'm a woman who has for quite some time been pretty heavily into strong and at times quite radical (But maybe not Radical since that term is a bit fuzzy) feminism. Perhaps as a result of that I don't find it all that aggressive or extreme. Uncomfortable as hell? Yeah, but that's a given.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
In which way is it aggressiv and uncomfortable? Still interested in the book, but idk. If you feel bad only because you are a dude...

ElNarez

Banned
I'm reading way too much of your wack-ass opinions right now, so, time to hit you up with some COLD HARD TRUTH

A) Psylocke is dope as all hell, fuck you, it goes beyond the "has sword and is a woman" thing, it's a story about identity. A recurring thing with her is people projecting their own ideas of what she is on her, whether that's as a Braddock, as Mojo's slave, as Kwannon, going on and on. She's always stuggled with that, and it's a struggle that anyone who's had things projected onto them can identify with,

B) At its core, Bitch Planet is a sports book, except that it takes place in a universe where patriarchal standards are elevated and enforced to the point of absurdity, which puts it in the lineage of things like Judge Dredd. And if a feminist Judge Dredd, But Sports book isn't on your "dopest things" list you are BROKEN INSIDE.

tim1138

So somehow I only just heard about this and it's amazing.

See, I'm not really getting any of that, although it's certainly quite dark and honestly can be painful to read. It's a bit weird to mention it after an issue that very clearly has a non-asshole guy playing a major role. I mean yes, most of the other men have been awful, but a lot of that being awful has been pretty much directly from the gender politics and culture portrayed in the comic up to this point. It's made clear that not everyone agrees with it but there really isn't an option to not go along.

I agree with everything you've said here 100%.

Nothing about the tone has changed from the first issue to the most recent either. It's a book about women who are imprisoned, and subsequently abused and assaulted for being themselves and not what society expected/demanded they be. To think it was going to be anything but dark and fucked up is ludicrous. Absolutely nothing about this book reads as KSD venting or pushing some kind of anti men agenda.

Messi

I read comic books for enjoyment. I don't enjoy Bitch Planet. Nothing to do with feminist views or whatever. I gave the book a fair shake as it was Kelly Sue but I didn't enjoy it.

shingi70

Banned
Didn't Kelly Sue say something to the effect that she wanted to do the anti Orange is the new black? Showing a much more realistic (Sci-fi trappings nonwithstanding) depiction of the prison system.

A) Psylocke is dope as all hell, fuck you, it goes beyond the "has sword and is a woman" thing, it's a story about identity. A recurring thing with her is people projecting their own ideas of what she is on her, whether that's as a Braddock, as Mojo's slave, as Kwannon, going on and on. She's always stuggled with that, and it's a struggle that anyone who's had things projected onto them can identify with.
I can only read a story about the same character having an identity crisis so many times before I get bored of it. And I can only read a story about that same character being guilty about some shit only so many times before I get bored of it. Psylocke has worn out her welcome on both of those counts.

It's not just that it's awkward to control. Tank combat in a Batman game doesn't really interest me and feels like a bit of a slog by the time you've finished the game.
I just started the game so maybe I'll have a different opinion in the Batmobile towards the end but right now I think it's a nice change of pace from the usual Batman stuff that's been there since the first game. I prefer driving he Batmobile to get around Gotham then gliding. I'm surprised my reaction so far is positive after hearing so many negative things.

Nobody even know who the fuck Kwannon is. Nobody.

Her appeal is directly related to her Jim Lee late 80s costume design. Same as other trash characters like Gambit. She should be thankful she got to be in so many Capcom fighting games.

Top Bottom