• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm reading through New X-Men and I wouldn't say I'm loving the art but it's does a fairly good job. That is until I get to issue 124 and get presented with this http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/123851/2709850-pic2003_kordey3.jpg

Horrendous.

Really loving this series. It's my first x men series. I started reading the first issue of Astonishing X Men and just couldn't get into into it.even though I was a bit confused with some of the conversations about what had happened in previous issues it dove straight into the new plot and really has zipped along without a dull issue. Also I'm glad a work college told me to read the annual as I wouldn't have had a clue about Xorn. Get some type of reading order sorted for stuff on MU Marvel!

I normally like Quietly quite a bit but find his work on New X-Men to be repulsive. Maybe that's what he was going for.

Edit: On second look I don't think this is Quietly. Either way, I think a lot of New X-Men looks gross up until the Riot at Xavier's arc.

shingi70

Banned
I'm enjoying reading through Cosmic Marvel but it is a bit ridiculous. Every event has had billions of deaths, thousands of destroyed planets, etc. Yet Earth is A-Okay lol

Cosmic Marvel barely had any stakes. Who cares about planets being featured when there was a war between super heroes.

I'm reading through New X-Men and I wouldn't say I'm loving the art but it's does a fairly good job. That is until I get to issue 124 and get presented with this http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/123851/2709850-pic2003_kordey3.jpg

Horrendous.

Really loving this series. It's my first x men series. I started reading the first issue of Astonishing X Men and just couldn't get into into it.even though I was a bit confused with some of the conversations about what had happened in previous issues it dove straight into the new plot and really has zipped along without a dull issue. Also I'm glad a work college told me to read the annual as I wouldn't have had a clue about Xorn. Get some type of reading order sorted for stuff on MU Marvel!

Yeah, New X-Men early on had some deadline issues, and they have Igor Kordley already kinda ugly Euro Comic artystyle doing 20 pages in like a weekend? Don't worry, they work the kinks out eventually when they realize Frank Quitely can't do a monthly literally if his job depended on it, and they started assigning artists separate story arcs.

And its good that you read this before Astonishing X-men, since that's kinda the sequel.

frye

real talk, modern cosmic marvel is just okay sci-fi inflected war comics and the way people hold it up as the Best Shit (even the best super hero shit) is fuckin weird

PsychBat!

Banned
#BirdieWasRight

consistently 2.5/3 out of 5 star comix

it's like Geoff Johns Green Lantern comics - I liked it enough to keep reading but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it

#BirdieWasRight

ebdbcdfba8974f98b6424045a30a1c.jpg

Bill Foster died, Reed cloned Thor, it was though shit.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFFFFFF

shingi70

Banned
If only Thanos wasn't hot garbage. Dude is Gambit and Tim Drake levels of lame.

My girl sketched thia out in watercolor while we were talking about our favorite superheroes with her's being Wonder Woman.

oFKhNSNl.jpg

Annihilation was pretty good but it's gotten worse since then. The GotG chapters are the best parts though.

Also holy shit Medusa is the worst. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like her or not but all she seems to do is tell people how she is the queen and how she is in charge. Does she ever get her comeuppance?

VanWinkle

I'm almost finished with the Hawkman Geoff Johns Omnibus, and it's WONDERFUL. The build quality with the insanely tight binding has been a constant point of contention with me, though. So I'm kinda ready to be done with it.

Afrodium

Banned
real talk, modern cosmic marvel is just okay sci-fi inflected war comics and the way people hold it up as the Best Shit (even the best super hero shit) is fuckin weird

Preach. I powered through Annihilation because that reading chart gets posted in like every GAF comic thread and didn't really get the fuss. A year later I started reading Conquest and dropped it after about an issue when I remembered that it's not very good.

Boogiepop

My net take away from the ol' cosmic chart was that Annihilation was kind of bland for me outside of I suppose the Drax mini at the start, I actually liked Annihilation Conquest okay for the most part (proto-GotG start, got some Nova in there, and I liked the Phyla Vell stuff okay, though Wraith was laaaaame), the standalone GotG and Nova are solid stuff, the "...of Kings" parts just... didn't really do it for me, and then Thanos Imperative was a nice cap. Literally all I own in print is the GotG-y parts (the Annihilation: Conquest Omnibus, the complete collections for GotG, and Thanos Imperative), and I'm pretty content with that+having read the rest on MU, outside of wishing the Nova stuff was in print as I'd probably pick that up too.

Edit: Cosmic was never my sort of thing in the first place though, to be fair.

Messi

I just watched Ex Machina. Holy shit. That movie is unnerving, beautiful and touching. Domhnall Gleason and Oscar Isaac were both as amazing as they were in star wars. Especially Issac. Alicia Vikander was incredible. Chills in parts
When Ava puts on clothes for the first time that entire scene gave me chills.

Literally all I own in print is the GotG-y parts (the Annihilation: Conquest Omnibus, the complete collections for GotG, and Thanos Imperative.

That's exactly the subset I own too. (Not the Conquest Omnibus though, just the Star-Lord single issues). Recently sold them in anticipation of the upcoming omnibus.

I just watched Ex Machina. Holy shit. That movie is unnerving, beautiful and touching. Domhnall Gleason and Oscar Isaac were both as amazing as they were in star wars. Especially Issac. Alicia Vikander was incredible. Chills in parts
When Ava puts on clothes for the first time that entire scene gave me chills.

I saw that when it first hit theaters in the US. Loved it. Easily one of the best films of 2015.

My net take away from the ol' cosmic chart was that Annihilation was kind of bland for me outside of I suppose the Drax mini at the start, I actually liked Annihilation Conquest okay for the most part (proto-GotG start, got some Nova in there, and I liked the Phyla Vell stuff okay, though Wraith was laaaaame), the standalone GotG and Nova are solid stuff, the "...of Kings" parts just... didn't really do it for me, and then Thanos Imperative was a nice cap. Literally all I own in print is the GotG-y parts (the Annihilation: Conquest Omnibus, the complete collections for GotG, and Thanos Imperative), and I'm pretty content with that+having read the rest on MU, outside of wishing the Nova stuff was in print as I'd probably pick that up too.

Edit: Cosmic was never my sort of thing in the first place though, to be fair.

That's about my takeaway of Cosmic Marvel as well. Don't get why people hype up Annihilation so much, I much preferred Conquest (especcially the proto-GotG, as you pointed out). War of Kings was my first real intro to the Inhumans and pretty much sealed my hatred for them (they are all ASSHOLES in that series). I'm digging the ANAD Inhuman series, but it's kind of begrudgingly so. GotG series proper was pretty good (not QUITE as amazing as some make it out to be, but it is good) and Thanos Imperative is a nice ending to both Guardians and Nova.

Speaking of Guardians, after having read through all of 3000 and the first two issues of this new series I've come to the conclusion that Abnett really needs Lanning for this to work. 3000 never really rose beyond being average, and Infinity seems to be picking up the worst parts of 3000 and dressing them up in a new paint. The backup in this latest issue was way better then the regular story. Think I'll just cut my losses and drop this one.

PsychBat!

Banned
Man, 2016 must be what bizarro world feels like. Everyone liking the Bendis Guardians and putting the DnA Guardians in the past cuz Birdie was right or whatever and everyone liking the Earth shit that went on more than the cosmic stuff. 2014 and 2015 was better.

I guess I should hail Bendis, our lord and savior. Bringing franchises that were shit before, and elevate them to the 10th level.

/rant

shingi70

Banned
Man, 2016 must be what bizarro world feels like. Everyone liking the Bendis Guardians and putting the DnA Guardians in the past cuz Birdie was right or whatever and everyone liking the Earth shit that went on more than the cosmic stuff. 2014 and 2015 was better.

I guess I should hail Bendis, our lord and savior. Bringing franchises that were shit before, and elevate them to the 10th level.

/rant

Gotta pray to the Bendis four Luke Cage, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, and our Lord Kitty Pryde.

Batman and the outsiders is dope. Halo was originator of girly Hijinks.

/rant

What? No. Ew.

Secret best ANAD writers are Tom King, Jason Aaron, G. Willow Wilson, Al Ewing

I'll still give Bendis a thumbs-up for Invincible Iron Man, tho.

PsychBat!

Banned
Gotta pray to the Bendis four Luke Cage, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, and our Lord Kitty Pryde.

Batman and the outsiders is dope. Halo was originator of girly Hijinks.

You're the new PsychBat!

*passes the psychbat! deed and key to psychbat!'s soul*

good luck

Realm of Kings so far:

- Inhumans - dumb politics crap, angsting over Black Bolt, getting butthurt over the Avengers showing up, etc.
why are the Inhumans so trash?
Also holy shit Medusa is the worst. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like her or not but all she seems to do is tell people how she is the queen and how she is in charge. Does she ever get her comeuppance?
Like I said before, and I'll say it again, the Inhumans stuff is literally the result of years of previous stuff. A whole lot of getting shit on by everyone else on the regular. So to say "does she get her comeuppance" when they've gotten so wrecked previously is a ridiculous statement. But yes, she does.

You also have to look at it from their point of view: Black Bolt was their fucking King. The politics of Attilan were fucking wonky, involving the Genetic Council (something that has long gone by the time War/Realm of Kings occur), Maximus overthrowing shit, other Inhuman clans, and such. They've basically followed him unquestioningly, and Medusa (even though she's his wife) has always been more of an outlier within the Royal Family because she was basically a delinquent when she was younger. Like, even when she spoke for him, people didn't really respect her. Now she has to assume the role of Queen. What kind of position does that put her in? Not a pretty one, for sure. She becomes a much more compassionate and less cold ruler in a later series (Inhuman by Fraction/Soule, which is one of my favorite stories). So yeah, true to form, she develops as a character.

The Inhumans as a franchise is very politics heavy. So, given that you don't care for any of that, you won't like them, and that's fine. Boiling it down to hot garbage just because you don't care is harsh (then again, I'm pretty much the only person who cares about the Inhumans as a whole), but I fully understand why a person wouldn't like them. If you want the Inhumans in a nutshell, I suggest reading Inhumans by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee, or Inhumans: By Right of Birth by Nocenti and Mougin.
I normally like Quietly quite a bit but find his work on New X-Men to be repulsive. Maybe that's what he was going for.

Edit: On second look I don't think this is Quietly. Either way, I think a lot of New X-Men looks gross up until the Riot at Xavier's arc.
Sounds about right.
If only Thanos wasn't hot garbage. Dude is Gambit and Tim Drake levels of lame.
MOTHERFUCKER YOU SAY WHAT

Just started Green Lantern Corp: Lost Army. So far it's just what the Green Corp needed, by getting away from Major events. The story still feels tense and having a small.supporting cast allows them to breath something the group hasn't been able to so since Johns finished his Green Lantern run. I love the fact the Guy has two rings makes alot of sense, and I enjoy the focus on John Stewart as the main character. He's probably my favorite Green Lantern member and seeing him in charge of the group makes sense moreso than Hal.

I got bad news for you friend.

About to start Earth 2: World's End Vol. 2. One of the best "superheroes fighting the apocalypse" book I've ever read.

Goddamned superheroes man.

Just goddamned superheroes.

Goddamnit Val be less cool. You're taking up all the cool

Moments like this were just great because you'd see them scoring wins in this knock down, drag out fight, feel that surge of triumph and then something else from the Apocalyptian steamroller would knock them down. It handled those peaks and valleys really well.

And yeah, that Alan Scott "world of cardboard"-esque punch was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. The work of Jorge Jimenez, who is doing the Earth 2 ongoing currently. I love him.

Moments like this were just great because you'd see them scoring wins in this knock down, drag out fight, feel that surge of triumph and then something else from the Apocalyptian steamroller would knock them down. It handled those peaks and valleys really well.

And yeah, that Alan Scott "world of cardboard"-esque punch was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.
Multiversal punches for the fucking win

Some Gurren Lagann shit up in here

His Red Robin outfit (the old one with the smooth topped gimp mask) is literally the worst. It's so dumb looking.
Yes but I'm talking about the character that had an amazing run for over 100 issues with the amazing Dixon run. Not the nonsense he's become lately with poor writers who don't know how to write him or DC who know what to do with him.

Top Bottom