• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

tim1138

Animal Man #1 - #4: Gives us a very quick insight into Buddy's powers without too much exposition. Shows us the the family dynamic and starts hinting at what is going to make Animal Man tick going forward. B'Wana Beast was fairly cool, will have to look for his other stories. All in all, a good opening arc to a superhero run though seems fairly standard at this point. Not like Doom Patrol, which hit you with the weirdness starting from #1.

Animal Man #5: Huh.

Animal Man #5 aka one of single favorite comic issues of all time

Messi

The Vision #3
I need an adult, hot cocoa, a bedtime story, and a nightlight.

Goddamn

Why don't I like Carol? Because she's basically a female Hal Jordan, and I don't like Hal. Though, Hal's kind of a piece of shit. Carol isn't. So Carol is actually more boring...

You lost Spirit Animalness in record time.

Owzers

Agree with BK on Carol.....but then again i haven't read many of Carol's solo books so it's not fair to judge her, mainly because they've looked like boring Hal Jordan comics.

3043329-slide-s-1-first-look-at-captain-marvel-and-the-carol-corp-eda76.jpg

Nope.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am not going anywhere, but I realize that I don't fit in as much as I thought I did and that some of my opinions shouldn't be voiced.
Its ok to have different opinions. Look at me, I enjoy almost every Marvel Event, I even liked Shadowland and I am sad that I cant buy OHCs of Fear Itself.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I am not going anywhere, but I realize that I don't fit in as much as I thought I did and that some of my opinions shouldn't be voiced.

Its ok to have different opinions. Look at me, I enjoy almost every Marvel Event, I even liked Shadowland and I am sad that I cant buy OHCs of Fear Itself.

Yeah and look at me too. I have impeccable taste that makes everyone around me look like a brainless peon......what were we talking about again?

Batman Beyond #8
Yeah I'm dropping this. I don't care anymore.

Midnighter #8
This book remains fun. Is this a new B'wana Beast/Animal Man? Or an old one? I admit that I know nothing of that part of the DCU.
You lost Spirit Animalness in record time.

Agree with BK on Carol.....but then again i haven't read many of Carol's solo books so it's not fair to judge her, mainly because they've looked like boring Hal Jordan comics.

Nope.
Exactly. I can't get excited for anything Carol Danvers related.
I am a idiot, I completly misunderstood which book bk meant
Seriously? I thought you were just fucking with me.

I thought you mean the Ultimates bool with the incest twins.

I know. I thought you were joking when you said "Ultimates Vol. 3" but then you misunderstood.

There's a barrier here that makes me being required to explain the scenario ruin the comedic punch that it had, if any.

tim1138

Batman Beyond #8
Yeah I'm dropping this. I don't care anymore.

Midnighter #8
This book remains fun. Is this a new B'wana Beast/Animal Man? Or an old one? I admit that I know nothing of that part of the DCU.

It's
Freedom Beast
from Morrison's Animal Man run

Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift #3
This book is...yup...I'll finish out this arc and then drop it probably. Saddens me, but I'll do it.

Joe Golem: Occult Detective #3
This book fires on all cylinders. A good blend of incredibly creepy and terrifying, while still having good action. Some of the imagery is incredibly disturbing. To me, anyway.
It's
Freedom Beast
from Morrison's Animal Man run

Ah okay

PsychBat!

Banned
Man can't wait for Dawn of Justice, that TV spot was cool.

anyone else jumping on Legends of tommorow in March?

maaaaaan we talk about comics here

what? If there's any opinion that shouldn't be voiced, it's been clear for the past few weeks that it's mine.

Owzers

Arrow kinda crushed my interest in those shows, only one episode into izombine on Netflix which I liked, haven't started Flash yet. I did just start that Todd Margaret David cross show, liked the first two episodes but season 2s ending has been spoilered.

TV spot was amazing, TV spot thread was basically exactly as expected.

And hells yeah on Legends. Shit's gonna be great. Captain Cold in EVERY EPISODE?

FUCK YEAH.

Messi

LIST of an alright week, nothing really special but happy to have some of these books coming out

Batman & Robin #15
Catwoman #48
Earth 2 #8
Gotham Academy #14
New Romancer #2
Robin War #2
Starfire #8
Superman American Alien #3 JOELLE JONES!!!

Huck #3
The Violent #2

Dr Mirage Second Lives #2
Insexts #2
Red Sonja #1

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
All-New Avengers #3
All-New Wolverine #4
All-New Hawkeye #3
All-New X-Men #3
Extraodrinary X-Men #5
Guardians of the Galaxy #4
Illuminati #3
Mighty Thor #3
Scarlet Witch #2
Secret Wars #9
Silk #3
Squadron Supreme #3
Uncanny Avengers #4
Web Warriors #3

Owzers

Bitch Planet vol 1: made it through issue three today and that Penelope focused backstory issue put the book in a hole, there's going to have to be some greatness out of the last two issues for me to continue. The muffin fight reminded me of Zoolander.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That books was great

The more time I spend here the more I realize

tumblr_m0nowjmI2J1qecekao1_500.gif

if fitting in is liking what other people say is good or is not good, then fuck this place.

thankfully thats not what fitting in is. also, thankfully I have a heart, instead of a lump of black coal, so I dont hate everything. ComicGaf is like those videogame forums where its cool to hate everyth....wait a minute, its just like normal Gaf.

1383361456173.gif

:3

Messi

Can someone list all the Brubaker and Philips books in order? I just read the first issue of the fade out was that was awesome.

shingi70

Banned
Wonder Woman #43-46: i'm surprised that this book isn't more popular. The writing isn't as strong as the Azzeralo/Chaing run but this definitely feels in the same vein as it with the added bonus of more DCU connections. I found this arc to be alot stronger that the finces opening one, in no small part due to Donna becoming a second protagonist having a Diana in the world of Men 2.0 feel.The new suit for this run is god awful and they really just need to go to the Gal Gadot look.
Its interesting that despite Ares is back, Diana is still the God of War.

Wonder Woman #47: A pretty simple cheetah story that felt like a breather issue Snyder does inbetween his Batman arcs. Nothing much to say then it felt like a toy tie in comic.

Owzers

Finished Bitch Planet vol 1, i don't really have any strong feelings about it past the zoolander muffin scene i mentioned. Honestly, i was expecting more bitches. Random 5/10

edit: these football games are awful :/

arkon

Saw a challenge on CBR about reading 1000 books in a year. Thought I'd give it a try with a lower target of 500 at first because I don't know if I have that many issues in the backlog
I do. Probably
. Just to keep it as easy as possible to track, I'm just going by one issue = one book.unless it's a stupidly low page count. I won't count oversized as double or triple issues either. Strictly official demarcation. Hopefully this might spur me to put a dent in the backlog.

1-4) Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #5-8: Finished this off ready to catch up with the new volume. Incredibly bright and fun comics that didn't fail to put a smile on my face. Loved the different styles of artwork and storytelling in issue 5. Nancy's fanfic was another highlight. The interplay between the commentary at the bottom and narration boxes/captions. Just terrific stuff all round. North and Henderson make a great combo.

5) Faster than Light #1: bought in the comixology sale because the premise is the kind of thing I'm dying for more of in comics. Unfortunately execution leaves a lot to be desired. Uninspired and sometimes confusing layouts, unnecessary widescreen panels, lots of talking heads and poor artwork. I have issue 2 but that's probably not going to happen for a long time.

6-7) Paper Girls #1-2:
like night and day from the above. Nicely varied layouts, mixing up the storytelling with silent pages where appropriate, really nice sense of time and place. Interesting hook at end of issue 2. Probably not going further until it's on sale again though because I'm cheap. Artwork is the real star here though, I think even preferred some of those pages in black and white as seen in the back of the book..

8) New Avengers #4:
Fun team superheroics with a nice varied cast. Would like to see more of the spotlight on the others. Got enough of Hulkling/Wiccan in Young Avengers.

9) Invisibles vol. 1 #1: Weird stuff and symbolism that is no doubt going over my head. It's entertaining enough and intriguing enough at a surface level reading that I'm happy to continue with it. That and the fact I have the first 2 deluxe edition hardcovers in my possession. I'll determine whether to keep buying by the end of these. Early signs are good.

10) X-O Manowar #1:This was a nice surprise. I suppose my expectations were low given all the shit talk about Valiant and Vendetti (rightly or wrongly, this is my first taste of either). Does everything I'd want from a first issue. Like New Avengers it seems like good solid cape fun.

if fitting in is liking what other people say is good or is not good, then fuck this place.

thankfully thats not what fitting in is. also, thankfully I have a heart, instead of a lump of black coal, so I dont hate everything. ComicGaf is like those videogame forums where its cool to hate everyth....wait a minute, its just like normal Gaf
No it's not. Good lord we have people praising books on every page. Stop with all the dramatics. You keep posting this vague criticism

VanWinkle

I don't often post negative things here, but I read the Teen Titans story in Wednesday Comics and I hated it. Paper-thin plot, anticlimactic villain reveal, poor characterization, stilted dialogue, and generic boring art. Only thing I outright didn't like in the collection so far, though.

We should fight again. That is always fun.
Disagreeing isn't fighting. It's the crux of any discussion. Having people not like what you don't like doesn't mean you "don't fit in". I don't get why some here get so worked up at some of the lightest disagreements or discussions. I don't see people being disrespectful of other opinions. It's a discussion forum to post impressions, opinions and have discussions. This means there's going to be people that don't like the same things. It's not a big deal.

Messi

Disagreeing isn't fighting. It's the crux of any discussion. Having people not like what you don't like doesn't mean you "don't fit in". I don't get why some here get so worked up at some of the lightest disagreements or discussions. I don't see people being disrespectful of other opinions. It's a discussion forum to post impressions, opinions and have discussions. This means there's going to be people that don't like the same things. It's not a big deal.

That's not why I said I don't fit in. I feel my interests are travelling in a direction that is at odds with that if the thread. It's not about disagreements or fights.

Top Bottom