• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I will have have my revenge on Pete Carroll!

<------------

I looked into options on helping the Vikings win today....there's nothing i can do. The quarterback match-ups have been awful in all four games this weekend:

Burger vs Mccarron
Smith vs Hoyer
Rodgers vs Cousins
Wilson vs Bridgewater

i'm guessing clean sweep by experience.

MG310

That doesn't sound like what either character would do. Sounds like Bendis doesn't want "his guy" on the bad side this time around.

Sounds like tons of fun! :/

Literally that future from Uncanny X-Force.

I'm going with Nick Fury Jr. The front office could be heard saying "We just don't have anything for you and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors".

Wes Craig is doing a good Frank Miller impression here:

TleVCK6.jpg

https://twitter.com/Remender/status/684258461199151104

I started Daredevil: Born Again and it's amazing even one issue in. The narration is great and Mazzuccheli's art is such a perfect fit for these more grounded Miller superhero comics.

That scene where Matt thanks Foggy and he goes for a handshake and Foggy gives him a hug after is just
NtlsTsz.png

now you understand

also buy Elektra Assassin

now you understand

also buy Elektra Assassin
I understand everything now. I don't get why this comic isn't as popular as something like Year One. Like, only one issue in and this is probably one of the best Marvel comics period.

Elektra's on the buy list once I'm done with this. I saw some art from it and whew-- so good!
Does this have a OHC?

No, unfortunately. Hopefully it gets one soon because I've been holding off on buying the trades. Wes Craig is doing such an amazing job on the art. It's amazing this is the same dude who did some issues of DnA Guardians of the Galaxy years ago. He's grown so much since then and improved like crazy.

Owzers

Civil War 2 sounds awful. the only thing that could make it worse is if Bendis tried to revolve it around the Inhumans.

He'll probably do it.

Finished my reread of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Still great. Still get the feels when Kitty finds Colossus. That page and the page after are really well done.

The end of this run is when I stopped reading X-men as a teenager so where do I go from here? I understand there's a whole series of mini events to do with the X-men and they end up in San Francisco? I've read House of M years ago but I have very little modern X-men knowledge beyond that and not sure what the order is. When does Scott become such a dick?

Read the main 1602 series too. Really enjoyed that. Not sure I'm bothered with any of the spin offs though.
Do what I do and just read random X-books. Like Age of X. Read that. I haven't, but it's sitting right next to me, waiting.

Eventually you'll get the picture of what's been going on over the years.
How would you feel if you picked up your phone and a co worker had taken dick pics with your camera and sent 4 messages to four different girls in your phone book .
Full of a humorous and violent rage
Just fuck everything

Like, I can see Carol possibly doing that based on her military background (and currently she is part of a force dedicated to solving massive cosmic problems and monitoring the cosmos) and I can see Tony being against it based on the bullshit he's done over the years and feeling like maaaaaybe he's learned a lesson.

But just fuck everything. "Cyber-bullying"? What a great topic to tackle. It only needed A WHOLE EVENT NO ONE WANTED in order to tackle it. Ms. Marvel would be a great comic to tackle that in. Seriously, it's perfect for it.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WHY THE FUCK IS STAR LORD IN THERE? THE FUCK?
Literally that future from Uncanny X-Force.
So can we get Remender to write the event and no one else?

OH OH OH OH CAN DETHLOK SHOW UP?

“This predictive power divides the Marvel heroes on how best to capitalize on this aggregated information, with Captain Marvel leading the charge to profile future crimes and attacks before they occur, and Iron Man adopting the position that the punishment cannot come before the crime.”

I can't see how this won't piss an extraordinary amount of people off.

Owzers

“This predictive power divides the Marvel heroes on how best to capitalize on this aggregated information, with Captain Marvel leading the charge to profile future crimes and attacks before they occur, and Iron Man adopting the position that the punishment cannot come before the crime.”

Maybe everyone is inverted.

I understand everything now. I don't get why this comic isn't as popular as something like Year One. Like, only one issue in and this is probably one of the best Marvel comics period.

There's about 6 or 7 "incidents" in that first issue that makes it hard to not keep reading. Murdock's identity revealed, the slow financial and mental destruction of Matt Murdock, Gloria's place being ransacked, Gloria x Foggy, Karen's increasingly distressing situation, Ben Urich and Kingpin's involvement. Its not just visually compelling, its immediately emotionally involving.

Weiss

Banned

what

but the

that was literally tonys position in the first civil war

god help us

frye

I started Daredevil: Born Again and it's amazing even one issue in. The narration is great and Mazzuccheli's art is such a perfect fit for these more grounded Miller superhero comics.

That scene where Matt thanks Foggy and he goes for a handshake and Foggy gives him a hug after is just
NtlsTsz.png

That first issue is SO economical. I remember rereading it recently and being amazed that his entire life just thoroughly falls apart in, what, 22 pages?

It's either Born Again or Elektra for me that show Miller at the peak of his writing powers which is incredible since both were supposed to be minor books -- Born Again was written because Miller moved to California and was dead broke basically.

frye

I think the funniest thing about Civil War 2 (aside from everything) is that it's clearly one of the ways they've thought up to keep Carol alive in the direct market all the way to 2019 (2019!)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the funniest thing about Civil War 2 (aside from everything) is that it's clearly one of the ways they've thought up to keep Carol alive in the direct market all the way to 2019 (2019!)

The plot to Civil War 2 just sounds so fucking dumb. Like, the whole thing could be easily avoided if everyone would just use their brains and figure out that if they just
used this guy's power to be in position when the bad shit goes down
they could have the best of both worlds.

Is Bendis gonna bring back his plot device mutant that was just an interdimensional portal? All she did was warp the O5 + Laura to the Ultimate Universe so Bendis could have his O5 chill with Miles.

Literally just filler.

Finished my reread of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Still great. Still get the feels when Kitty finds Colossus. That page and the page after are really well done.

The end of this run is when I stopped reading X-men as a teenager so where do I go from here? I understand there's a whole series of mini events to do with the X-men and they end up in San Francisco? I've read House of M years ago but I have very little modern X-men knowledge beyond that and not sure what the order is. When does Scott become such a dick?

This is very difficult to answer cuz there isn't really a recommend run I can point to IMMEDIATELY after New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. So you read House of M, so you know about almost all the mutants going away. The X-Men plot thread after that follows up with Messiah Complex, which was a crossover event where the first mutant born after House of M showed up. Its actually pretty good, far as crossover goes. At the end, the X-Men disbanded, so the X-books just kinda screwed around aimlessly for half a year. Then "Manifest Destiny" happen, which wasn't really an event so much as it was a status quo. You can read about it here and how it affected the various X-books. Personally, I can't recommend any of the X-books from 2008.

2009 is more of the same, the X-Men in San Francisco, you can mostly follow it from Uncanny X-Men #500 onward, although again I can't really recommend any comic with Greg Land drawing major parts of it. 2010 X-books...trying to remember what was good. Jason Aaron's Wolverine: Weapon X? Kieron Gillen/Steven Sander's S.W.O.R.D. mini series? That's about it.

2011 is where things get interesting, I think. Schism, a five-issue event from Jason Aaron and various artists happen. This leads to a clash(a SCHISM IF YOU WILL) of ideologies, between Cyclops and Wolverine. The people who side with Cyclops stay in San Franchisco on his extinction team, while the people who side with Wolverine go back to Westchester. Both these runs I actually can recommend. Kieron Gillen writes Uncanny X-Men with Cyclops' squad. Some of the art is sketchy(Greg Land draws a few issues), but its generally solid and two of all-time best X-Men issues are here. Jason Aaron meanwhile writes Wolverine and the X-Men with generally very strong artwork. This one's less serious, with a lot of focus on the kids at Xavier just as much as its about Wolverine and his X-Men teachers.

There were some other good books around this time, too. Generation Hope was written by Gillen and had some decent art, it was about Hope(the first mutant born after Messiah Complex) leading the Five Lights(you know how Cerebro could see mutant lights in the X-Men movie? Well these were five more that showed up post-Messiah Complex). The BEST X-Men book post-Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-Men was Rick Remender Uncanny X-Force, at least the first 19 issues of it included here. Small team, smart characterization, great art, compelling stories that deal with moral quandaries in operating a mutant death squad. The second part isn't as good, but probably still need to read so you get the full effect of Uncanny Avengers, which is basically the sequel to Uncanny X-Force. The first four issues aint shit, but volumes 2 through 4 are stupid compelling.

After all that, IDK I kinda lost interest. Jason Aaron, Kiergon Gillen, and Rick Remender all left the X-Men and Bendis kinda took over. Some people like it, you can follow that Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men.

So it's basically a prequel to Minority Report?

diaspora

This is coming from the man who unapologetically led the registration act and put people in a negative zone prison for having powers?

Zombine

Banned
Civil War 2 will kill a major character for about 6 months until they return in a new #1 to exist along side the original title. Find out what really happened by reading both.

$4.99

List!

Gotham Academy #14
New Romancer #2
Huck #3
Walking Dead #150
Extraordinary X-Men #4
Secret Wars #9

I might pass on EXM #5. It seems like introducing Mr. Sinister is a surefire way to kill anything interesting happening in a book. Also not sure if I'm feeling New Romancer based on the first issue.

Messi

List!

Gotham Academy #14
New Romancer #2
Huck #3
Walking Dead #150
Extraordinary X-Men #4
Secret Wars #9

I might pass on EXM #5. It seems like introducing Mr. Sinister is a surefire way to kill anything interesting happening in a book. Also not sure if I'm feeling New Romancer based on the first issue.

Make your choices carefully freeza. Wouldn't want to go missing in the middle of the night.

Top Bottom