• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Animal Man #12 - #17: More self-contained stories told within single issues but still containing hints to the endgame. I am really enjoying this. Loved the issues in Paris and in South Africa. (And the Dibnys). Why can't we have more happily married couples in comics...

Messi

this cover is so cool~!!!

detail.jpg

only becoz they're showing love to EATAKU! aka one of my favorite websites!!

http://www.eataku.com/

it's a food blog run by one of Marvel's talent scouts, where he travels everywhere and eats lots of great stuff!

I always search thru his blog whenever I go travel somewhere,

or even when I'm looking for new recommendations here in LA!

The story was great too

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Finally caught up on the issues of Nailbiter and Revival I got in the last Image sale.

Nailbiter was kind of all over the place with it's volume 2 issues it has gotten back on track and started moving the story ahead again with the last several issues.

Revival on the other hand hasn't stumbled at all. Every issue has been good. While there is an overarching mystery that still hasn't been explained through 17 issues the book doesn't waste any time wrapping up it's subplots. There is always something happening. None of the issues feel like filler. It's got a serious tone but there is still a bit of dark humor action along with plenty of mystery. The art probably isn't going to blow anyone away but it's still very good. Can't wait to buy more issues.

For now though it's time to get caught up on Rocket Girl and the 17 issues of The Walking Dead I got in the Image sale. I actually forgot to get one issue of Rocket Girl though. So I have 1-4 and 6. D'OH!

Issue #5 of Hitches JLA isn't written or drawn by Hitch and is apparently a Martian Manhunter one shot written by Kindt. Did some kind of mixup happen at the printers, lol?

And yes I'm still playing catchup.
Haha I remember before JLA came out Hitch said he had about a dozen issues already drawn so there wouldn't be delays.

I guess that was a lie! Never trust a Hitch with a schedule

arkon

Think I'm going to start collecting trades, my birthday is in a few more than so I can ask my family for a bookshelf.

What's the best way to read Transformers comics, saw some of the Wreckers stuff and it has me interested.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...03136-idw-transformers-g1-reading-orders.html

Follow reading order 1, although I would say you can skip straight to the number 1 issues of both RID and MTMTE in that without any loss. That said, Chaos Theory, Death of Optimus Prime and Last Stand of the Wreckers are all worth checking out.

Mindwipe

Are RID and MTMTE that closely tied together?

The first five volumes of each are nearly completely standalone - Volume 1 of MTMTE includes the "Death of Optimus Prime" one shot that sets up the status quo of both titles, and in theory the RID Annual carries on an event that happens in the MTMTE Annual, but both sections work without the other.

The Dark Cybertron crossover is set after Volume 5 of both and is the first meaningful interaction.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The first five volumes of each are nearly completely standalone - Volume 1 of MTMTE includes the "Death of Optimus Prime" one shot that sets up the status quo of both titles, and in theory the RID Annual carries on an event that happens in the MTMTE Annual, but both sections work without the other.

The Dark Cybertron crossover is set after Volume 5 of both and is the first meaningful interaction.

Just the Dark Cybertron stuff. Otherwise it's just publication order.

Cool thanks guys. I'm already getting annoyed with TMNT and the little editors notes in TMNT telling me I'm missing stuff happening outside the main series. Greedy bastards can't ever keep anything simple.

Mindwipe

Cool thanks guys. I'm already getting annoyed with TMNT and the little editors notes in TMNT telling me I'm missing stuff happening outside the main series. Greedy bastards can't ever keep anything simple.

Last Stand of the Wreckers could be considered to be a prequel to MTMTE, and there's a legitimate argument that it sets a major character up so you should read it first, but I just don't think it's as good a place tonally to jump in. It is still good though.

Boogiepop

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...03136-idw-transformers-g1-reading-orders.html

Follow reading order 1, although I would say you can skip straight to the number 1 issues of both RID and MTMTE in that without any loss. That said, Chaos Theory, Death of Optimus Prime and Last Stand of the Wreckers are all worth checking out.

Is the stuff before Last Stand of the Wreckers on that list any good/actually worth reading? I actually didn't know there was "important" stuff that came before that and don't have any of it currently...
Are RID and MTMTE that closely tied together?

MTMTE is the one that's incredibly over the top good, while RID is good enough that I'd call it worth reading, but definitely isn't essential. If you do want to go in on both, I know there's some hardcover collected editions coming out now...

On this though, the TMNT "side" trades are both important and totally worth getting. It really is a shame that they're not more clearly marked as such, as I'd imagine a lot of people DO skip them and just get the "main" books, but with a few exceptions that are skippable (definitely don't need to bother with the annuals, and as of right now and probably for the foreseeable future the Ghostbusters crossover won't be "important" at least), you really, really shouldn't ignore them. At least they're fixing that a little by putting them in the hardcovers, but seriously, the stuff in those is every bit as great as the main series, and for the most part every bit as important to the plot, so check them out!

Is the stuff before Last Stand of the Wreckers on that list any good/actually worth reading? I actually didn't know there was "important" stuff that came before that and don't have any of it currently...

The older stuff is Simon Furman Transformers through and through. If you want that, you're better off with the UK collections, and then the later Marvel issues and Generation 2 (G2 is fucking bonkers in the best way, kid me ate it up with a spoon).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I
On this though, the TMNT "side" trades are both important and totally worth getting. It really is a shame that they're not more clearly marked as such, as I'd imagine a lot of people DO skip them and just get the "main" books, but with a few exceptions that are skippable (definitely don't need to bother with the annuals, and as of right now and probably for the foreseeable future the Ghostbusters crossover won't be "important" at least), you really, really shouldn't ignore them. At least they're fixing that a little by putting them in the hardcovers, but seriously, the stuff in those is every bit as great as the main series, and for the most part every bit as important to the plot, so check them out!

Welp I just dropped TMNT. This is the same reason I quit Marvel and DC. I am 100% Image from here on out.

Think I'm going to start collecting trades, my birthday is in a few more than so I can ask my family for a bookshelf.

What's the best way to read Transformers comics, saw some of the Wreckers stuff and it has me interested.
Well, I'm doing what Tizoc suggested and reading The Last Stand of the Wreckers and then More Than Meets the Eye. It's working for me.

Also, TLSotW is boss as hell.
How are the last two volumes of JLD, anyway?
Not good. Don't read past the first three (Lemire's run). DeMatteis just fucks that book. Miligan has vol. 1 and then Lemire has vol. 2 and 3. After that just don't bother. The story gets all convoluted in the Blight crossover (between JLD and Constantine) and on top of that the Constantine series isn't good either.
Animal Man #12 - #17: More self-contained stories told within single issues but still containing hints to the endgame. I am really enjoying this. Loved the issues in Paris and in South Africa. (And the Dibnys). Why can't we have more happily married couples in comics...
Well, we had the West family, but the New 52 fucked that.

Boogiepop

Welp I just dropped TMNT. This is the same reason I quit Marvel and DC. I am 100% Image from here on out.

For what it's worth, it honestly works out to something equivalent to them largely double shipping TMNT/the net length just being about double what it first appears. For most of the run (though it's not 1:1 exactly), they've been releasing a mini-series at a time alongside the numbered run, and then they alternate what comes out in trades. So what you'd need to add to the "normal" trades is the Micro-series stuff, then Secret History of the Foot Clan, and then I believe Ultrom Empire should have at least something of importance (though I don't recall as well as to what falls where, and you may well be able to get by without it, I just don't remember exactly what plot points may have happened in this one). After that, Turtles in Time is super fun, but IIRC you could skip that and be fine. And Mutanimals and the Casey and April trade (which to be fair. I haven't read yet so I can't comment on 100%) feel like the kind of things that are just too new. I'd imagine they'd eventually get importance, but for now may not matter too much. And then there's the crossovers and the annuals, which should be totally skipable (I know the first annual and the Ghostbusters crossover at least do technically get a "see X" box once each, but you really, really don't need to read them).

And to be fair, like with Marvel/DC you totally can ignore this stuff and probably get by, but I don't think it's even vaguely equivalent to the sprawling mess of "x references y, and then that pulls events from z, and so on and so on" that you can hit with those two (plus all the "spin-offs" here just feel like more of the main story, just with slightly different themes and focuses, and are well done and enjoyable across the board). The worst thing it really does is make it a little trickier to keep track of what goes where, which I do wish they'd make more apparent to people who may be coming in later and aren't just picking up the floppies/trades as they come out.

Edit: I always type waaaaaay too much when it comes to TMNT stuff, geeze.

Groof

Hey all. I got a years sub to Marvel Unlimited for Christmas and I'm wondering if there's a delay in the release of a comic and when it's on there?

Owzers

Hey all. I got a years sub to Marvel Unlimited for Christmas and I'm wondering if there's a delay in the release of a comic and when it's on there?

yup, six months typically. You could always read Nextwave on there and enjoy comics life.

TheFlow

Banned
IDW has been adding in editor notes since issue 5-6.

It doesn't get to me but TMNT has a lot of mini series and tie ins that could be added to the story. I am not going to drop it yet though since I am still catching up

VanWinkle

Damn, 6 months for real? That's a crazy long time, but at least I got lots to read. Guess I'll check out some older events. Thanks!

Well, I mean, it's not really meant as a replacement to buying current-running series, but when you think about what you get for the money, it's still an absolute steal.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Hello Comic GAF

I actually wanted to create a new thread but hey, why not ask the pros in the OT first.

So because of star wars I started collecting the new marvel comics in the form of the trade paperbacks, luckily amazon.de sells them ^_^.

know I acquired 4 of them so far and plan to buy all of 'em
except maybe the leia one...they seem to be really bad

but how to store them? I don't know what kind of protective sleeves I need or what else.
if found that store in germany: http://www.x-comics.de/Kombi-Angebote sorry it is in german, but I guess you gals and guys are all so awesome that you know just from looking at it if it's good or not...

I am happy about any information on how and what I need.
thank you all :D

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
you sure? you haven't even hit the good stuff yet.

For now at least. I can always start back up later. If IDW really wants my business they'll do a line wide sale on Comixology.

But for now I'm just gonna get an extra back issue of Revival per week in place of TMNT.

Zombine

Banned
Hawkeye Omnibus came in the mail today, so I'd say the thread is a go. I'm p sure I'm going to say fuck it and just re read these next two days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hello Comic GAF

I actually wanted to create a new thread but hey, why not ask the pros in the OT first.

So because of star wars I started collecting the new marvel comics in the form of the trade paperbacks, luckily amazon.de sells them ^_^.

but how to store them? I don't know what kind of protective sleeves I need or what else.
if found that store in germany: http://www.x-comics.de/Kombi-Angebote sorry it is in german, but I guess you gals and guys are all so awesome that you know just from looking at it if it's good or not...

Für Tradepaperbacks braucht man IMO keine Hüllen, die Trades stehen IMO recht fest im Regal, wenn du aber wirklich was haben möchtest, such ich dir noch was raus

Edit: Golden oder Silver Age Bags von Ultra Pro, Golden für Hardcover, Silver für Softcover

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Für Tradepaperbacks braucht man IMO keine Hüllen, die Trades stehen IMO recht fest im Regal, wenn du aber wirklich was haben möchtest, such ich dir noch was raus

Na dann würde ja ein Karton reichen..weil Regal ist gerade nicht möglich :/! Zumindest für die nächsten 12-16 Monate nicht.
Danke!

Edit: Dein Edit gesehen, also falls ich noch in Richtung Hüllen gehen will die Silver nehmen. Ist ja alles Softcover :)

Hello, and welcome!

Those protective sleeves/boards are actually for storing single issues. (The boards are to provide stiffness).

Most of us do not use any additional protection for trade paperbacks and hardcovers. If you do prefer using something, I've seen people online use a few things.

1) Magazine sized plastic bags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PY9DKO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2) For a more permanent solution, my local library uses these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UAYV6TwHFk

Thanks! yeah I guess the sleeves/boards are overkill with trade softcover.
But one of those boxes will be nice for me..don't have space on my shelve anymore >.<

Hawkeye Omnibus came in the mail today, so I'd say the thread is a go. I'm p sure I'm going to say fuck it and just re read these next two days.

I got my OHC v2 in today as well. Still have the last issue to read. It wasn't on MU by the time my sub ended. -_-

Hello Comic GAF

Hello, and welcome!

Those protective sleeves/boards are actually for storing single issues. (The boards are to provide stiffness).

Most of us do not use any additional protection for trade paperbacks and hardcovers. If you do prefer using something, I've seen people online use a few things.

1) Magazine sized plastic bags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PY9DKO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2) For a more permanent solution, my local library uses these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UAYV6TwHFk

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Na dann würde ja ein Karton reichen..weil Regal ist gerade nicht möglich :/! Zumindest für die nächsten 12-16 Monate nicht.
Danke!

Edit: Dein Edit gesehen, also falls ich noch in Richtung Hüllen gehen will die Silver nehmen. Ist ja alles Softcover :)

Kauf dir erstmal am besten ne Einzelne, hab das aus dem Paniniforum geklaut, die haben normalerweise immer recht, da ich aber nur meine Floppies eintüte, kann ich da keine 100%ige Versicherung geben. Ich vertrauen denen aber sehr.

Just finished Born Again and wow, what an amazing comic from start to finish. Matt's metaphorical death and rebirth were done so well and it's such a GOOD comic. The writing and art come together perfectly. So many wonderful moments like this:

tumblr_nn8b1fG98n1upfu3oo4_500.jpg

tumblr_nn8b1fG98n1upfu3oo5_500.jpg

(the trade looks much cleaner... I'm a huge sucker for how the original singles look though)

Must read comic IMO.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Kauf dir erstmal am besten ne Einzelne, hab das aus dem Paniniforum geklaut, die haben normalerweise immer recht, da ich aber nur meine Floppies eintüte, kann ich da keine 100%ige Versicherung geben. Ich vertrauen denen aber sehr.

Ich hab dem X-Comic laden auch mal ne Mail geschickt..aber ich denke ich tendier zur "Box only" Lösung :).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished Born Again and wow, what an amazing comic from start to finish. Matt's metaphorical death and rebirth were done so well and it's such a GOOD comic. The writing and art come together perfectly. So many wonderful moments like this:

tumblr_nn8b1fG98n1upfu3oo4_500.jpg

tumblr_nn8b1fG98n1upfu3oo5_500.jpg

(the trade looks much cleaner... I'm a huge sucker for how the original singles look though)

Must read comic IMO.

God, I loved Nuke in this book.

only bad part of Born Again is some of the finale, since it was part of an ongoing narrative and a temporary writing gig, Frank had to do all that stuff at the end about Captain America and shit, and the FoggyxMurdock reconciliation doesn't happen until waaaaaaaaay later(like the end of Nocenti's run, #291), even though it feels like it should happen at the end.

JTripper

Just read the finale to Brubaker's The Fade Out.

It was pretty good, but I think I missed something potentially important.
Was Charlie a communist? That last conversation with Brodsky about him reading his military file and having a 'secret' confused me a bit. Or did he just mean him ghost writing for Gil as the 'secret'?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
only bad part of Born Again is some of the finale, since it was part of an ongoing narrative and a temporary writing gig, Frank had to do all that stuff at the end about Captain America and shit, and the FoggyxMurdock reconciliation doesn't happen until waaaaaaaaay later(like the end of Nocenti's run, #291), even though it feels like it should happen at the end.
Yeah, the appearence of the Avengers feelt really wrong

Top Bottom