• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my new years resolution is to only read comics by the team of Bendis and Land

have they actually done anything together lol >_<

I don't know. I mean, I read a lot of fantasy novels at one point and have to admit that there's certainly a lot of similarities from one to the next, not just because they're all part of the same genre. But there's not really a ton of variation based on what I've read. It may just be that Science-fiction is more popular at the moment.
There's similarity in the same way cape comics are. Common foundations but variations in tone, character, execution, etc. plus there's high fantasy, low fantasy, etc.

I'd love a David Eddings Belgariad (my favorite book series EVER) movie series. And Glenn Cooks Black company would be awesome. I do agree one issue is a lot of fantasy authors like to create series that don't end

I don't know. I mean, I read a lot of fantasy novels at one point and have to admit that there's certainly a lot of similarities from one to the next, not just because they're all part of the same genre. But there's not really a ton of variation based on what I've read. It may just be that Science-fiction is more popular at the moment.

Most of it is just genre issues, yeah. Sci fi and capes are in right now, Fantasy not so much.

What I'm surprised at is that Urban Fantasy hasn't taken off. I need Dresden Files to get the adaptation they deserve.

my new years resolution is to only read comics by the team of Bendis and Land

have they actually done anything together lol >_<
Well
61f8GV4JRNL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Why would anyone voluntarily end the money train?

If they feel it keeps them from working on other projects.
Most of it is just genre issues, yeah. Sci fi and capes are in right now, Fantasy not so much.

What I'm surprised at is that Urban Fantasy hasn't taken off. I need Dresden Files to get the adaptation they deserve.

You mean book adaptions? Because I was gonna say, there's a lot of television shows within that genre.

shingi70

Banned
Obi and Ani was pretty good, a nice start to a pre Clone Wars Jedi adventure. The middle part was interesting as it gels with Anikans Anger issue.

Amazing was okay, I'm not a fan of the direction Cloak and Dagger are being taken.

I've read a few urban fantasy series before. It's a good genre. Some of them take a nosedive after a while, though. The Anita Blake series hasn't been good in years. Yeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrrrssssssss.

Not necessarily. I mean, shit.... do you know how many things get released with GRRM's name on them when he still has Song of Ice and Fire books to write?

You mean book adaptions? Because I was gonna say, there's a lot of television shows within that genre.

Well, sorta. A lot of them are more horror based than fantasy based, per se. Stuff like Supernatural.

But yeah, book adaptations.

I've read a few urban fantasy series before. It's a good genre. Some of them take a nosedive after a while, though. The Anita Blake series hasn't been good in years. Yeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrrrssssssss.

Not necessarily. I mean, shit.... do you know how many things get released with GRRM's name on them when he still has Song of Ice and Fire books to write?

If you're not reading it already, I can't recommend the Dresden Files strongly enough. Best series in the genre.

True, but a lot of that is also boiled down to publisher contracts.
Well, sorta. A lot of them are more horror based than fantasy based, per se. Stuff like Supernatural.

But yeah, book adaptations.

If you're not reading it already, I can't recommend the Dresden Files strongly enough. Best series in the genre.

Horror-fantasy is a genre.

Gawd

I like stories with romantic sub-plots. Do the Dresden Files books have this?

Hmm... occasionally. Harry is basically the world's unluckiest man, which applies to his love life as much as anything else, but it crops up occasionally. First three books have a regular love interest, then there's some "will they or won't they" thing that sticks around for a while (though it's very rarely a major focus).

Tizoc

So I was searching for a one-shot comic via Amazon when I come upon this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1599614758/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What does Library Binding mean? Anyone care to show an image of such if they have single issue comics or floppies? This is the one comic that's missing from my TF collection and I'd really like to get it alone in this case.

Anyone?
Come on by 1 year's time I'd assumed somebody would have more knowledge about such a thing :X

Anyone?
Come on by 1 year's time I'd assumed somebody would have more knowledge about such a thing :X

Library Bindings? Sometimes books are rebound to another format for library use. It's why you'll sometimes find a hardcover of a book in a library when a hardcover of that book doesn't actually exist. It can also refer to what we call trades, where a series is bound into a condensed format.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Anyone?

I should probably know since I work at a book bindery that makes books for libraries.

Sewed instead of glue maybe. That's all I can really think of.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Batman Europa #1.

LOVE the premise. Definitely be keeping this on the pull list.

But wtf DC, Flash, Lantern and Wonder Woman's ongoings are all trash atm

shingi70

Banned
No, I am really enjoying Supergirl so far. Hardly a surprise but still.

Rafa did a variant for Howard the duck. It has hands and feet and everything.

What's wrong with Howard's mouth.

That Batman V Superman merchandise is awesome. Great to see Wonder Woman front and center on all of it.

And Two Towers is complete. Helms deep battle is always a joy to see. Plus it works as the turning point for Aragorn. It's where he finally steps up and starts to to take responsibility

The ent battle is great and Gollum is still a technical marvel. Actually one thing that stands out is how well the effects have aged. There's a green screen here and there that you occasionally notice but overall it holds up amazingly well.

And now it's time for the king to return

shingi70

Banned
Hoping whatever the DC relaunch is it gives the line a nice shot in the arm. Jumping on Swamp Thing, Legends, and Katana next month tho.

Sandfox

So the New-52 didn't really do much for DC?

It did for a while, but sales have died down and they've made some questionable decisions in response and a lot of their big heroes have bad creative teams atm.

Hoping whatever the DC relaunch is it gives the line a nice shot in the arm. Jumping on Swamp Thing, Legends, and Katana next month tho.

If they change the Flash, Green Arrow, and possibly Wonder Woman creative teams I will jump on those books.

Messi

DC changed the spine of their books with DCYou and now series like Harley have two different types of spines. Drives me nuts.

Messi

It's worse when they switch from hardcover to paperback in the middle of a run.

Or like they did with DCYou for Grayson and Batgirl release Vol 1 Hardcovers and then solicit Vol 2 hardcovers only to cancel them. Wouldn't have gone hardcover if I had known.

So how about that January Hawkeye reading party?

I have been playing Hawkeye in Marvel Heroes, so I'm down for reading some Hawkeye again.

That book was so shit, and I was really into Supreme Power when it was going.

I like stories with romantic sub-plots. Do the Dresden Files books have this?

I might check it out. But I think I wanna read The Expanse series first, since it's a new show on Syfy that I really like.

Both good choices

Rafa did a variant for Howard the duck. It has hands and feet and everything.

No sir, I don't like it.

Owzers

cleaning cleaning, i have regrets on buying that Witcher 2 xbox 360 dark edition box set thing. It just lives in my closet along with all the floppies that were mistakes.

Top Bottom