• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Mindwipe

Something like that.

I just finished the last five issues of Zero. Starting with issue #15 it goes on an existential tangent that completely loses me. As in, I'm work in the intelligence industry and have two master's degrees and feel absolutely stupid reading this book. Swoosh, right over my head.

I definitely get that.

I imagine part of the problem was not having enough time with the remaining issues to introduce these things as slowly as had been intended.

Sadist

I feel so weird sometimes for not liking Star Wars that much.

Luckily my brother in law isn't a fan either. He watched it with friends and while his mates were pretty enthousiastic, he thought the movie is a "kids movie". I told him he should be glad he doesn't have to go to Atlanta for business trips anymore; people will get mad as hell.

Messi

Reading The Private Eye HC and this book is really cool. I think BKV might be my favorite writer. That first issue is kinda sad.

Messi

Ehhh... it was pretty good. But not top tier tbh. Too many good looking books nowadays.

dave-chappelle-white-face.gif

VanWinkle

Superman Red Sun was great. I loved the concept, the writing was solid, and the character designs were perfect.

Now kind of alternating between the Graphic Ink Darwyn Cooke book, the Marvel NOW Omnibus, and DC Wednesday Comics.

Ehhh... it was pretty good. But not top tier tbh. Too many good looking books nowadays.

I thought it was one of the best looking N52 books out there. Manapul is easily in my top 5 favorite artists.

Messi

What are the Bat books currently

Batman
Batman and Robin Eternal
Batman Superman
Detective Comics
Grayson
Batgirl
Robin Son of Batman
We are Robin
Gotham Academy
Red Hood and Arsenal

You could probably count Catwoman also as it closely ties.

Am I missing something? That's a stacked list. But it's more good than bad. DC's problems seem to be outside of the Batman brand.

VanWinkle

What are the Bat books currently

Batman
Batman and Robin Eternal
Batman Superman
Detective Comics
Grayson
Batgirl
Robin Son of Batman
We are Robin
Gotham Academy
Red Hood and Arsenal

You could probably count Catwoman also as it closely ties.

Am I missing something? That's a stacked list. But it's more good than bad. DC's problems seem to be outside of the Batman brand.

I mean, the Bat-universe is huge, but they're varied enough that it doesn't feel like they all have to be looked at together. And, honestly, I feel like the bat-universe is one of the best lineups they have going.

Messi

I mean, the Bat-universe is huge, but they're varied enough that it doesn't feel like they all have to be looked at together. And, honestly, I feel like the bat-universe is one of the best lineups they have going.

I'd agree with that. To an extent books like Harley Quinn are also in the bat universe but it has so little to do with the main titles which is nice. I like most of the bat books.

The Flash by Geoff Johns Vol. 1

A surprisingly enjoyable mixture of fun and dark. If there's a book to bring people into the Flash mythos, it's this: Speed Force, Alternate Universes, metahuman powers, the Rogues. It has it all and I love it. I love the art, and the way the action sequences are played out. I've seen the inner monologue utilized before, but this is so much more enjoyable. There's layers to how Wally is overcoming the obstacles, and it's intriguing. Even if it is pseudo-science nonsense. Wally once again proving he's the best Flash. I'm also very much looking forward to more Rogues, and how this Speed Force plotline
(with Cicada)
is gonna play out.

Super enjoyable and fun superhero book. Just good superheroics, and it's been awhile since I read a book like that. One that isn't dark or apocalyptic.

Also Linda and Wally for best marriage.

Next up: Robin Vol. 1: Reborn by Chuck Dixon
Glad you like it. Johns Flash run was my first introduction to the character (outside team books) and love it. And you soon will see Tim Drake robin is best robin.

Is there an Xmen book from the last decade thats better than Remender's Uncanny X-Force?
Spurrier's X-Force is close, but so far from what I've been reading: No.
Glad you like it. Johns Flash run was my first introduction to the character (outside team books) and love it. And you soon will see Tim Drake robin is best robin.
I really like Tim based off of B:TAS and Batman: Hush. Batman Eternal Tim is too serious. Dixon putting in that work. Main reason I picked it up was because I was interested in the character and I like Dixon as a writer.

VanWinkle

I really like Tim based off of B:TAS and Batman: Hush. Batman Eternal Tim is too serious. Dixon putting in that work. Main reason I picked it up was because I was interested in the character and I like Dixon as a writer.

Yeah, I really like Tim Drake. I'm excited to start reading Robin: Reborn. I'll probably start it sometime in the next week or so.

Spurrier's X-Force is close, but so far from what I've been reading: No.

Dixon is the best Tim writer. He's one of the few that really get him. Loved his Robin run. Dixon was always the best with the Bat family. Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey. He was great in all of them.

Yeah, I really like Tim Drake. I'm excited to start reading Robin: Reborn. I'll probably start it sometime in the next week or so.
We'll be like, reading buddies!
Dixon is the best Tim writer. He's one of the few that really get him. Loved his Robin run. Dixon was always the best with the Bat family. Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey. He was great in all of them.
I'll check out his BoP run next. Does his happen before or after Simone's? Because I'm also gonna look at hers at some point, too.

I read the newest Black Canary last night and while I love Wu's art, I thought the story was just so painfully corny. This was the first time in the series in which I questioned me as the books audience.

BC has some story issues, yeah. We go Battle of the Bands to government whatever to alien superpowers to what looks like a time travel mindscrew in waaaaay too little time.

BC has some story issues, yeah. We go Battle of the Bands to government whatever to alien superpowers to what looks like a time travel mindscrew in waaaaay too little time.

I only lasted a few issues. I initially liked it, but it got really boring really quickly. Pity, because I like the character and the art.

But it tries to be one?

I kinda dislike that most female lead book more aim in this direction... At least it seems like this for me...

I'll be honest, I dropped it at issue 3 or 4 out of boredom.

Freeza stop hating everything

I don't hate it. I mean, BC is realtively low on the Freeza scale of dislike

1 (Black Canary) - - - - - - - - - - 5 (Paper cuts) - - - - - - - - - - 10 (Needles) - 12 (Tess Fowler)

Messi

Is Black Canary a hijinx book?

Not even close

But it tries to be one?

I kinda dislike that most female lead book more aim in this direction... At least it seems like this for me...

It really doesn't. A hijinks book is something like Harley Quinn. Black Canary takes itself and its story way too seriously to be a hijinks book. I don't believe that is what they are trying for.

I'll be honest, I dropped it at issue 3 or 4 out of boredom.

I don't hate it. I mean, BC is realtively low on the Freeza scale of dislike

1 (Black Canary) - - - - - - - - - - 5 (Paper cuts) - - - - - - - - - - 10 (Needles) - 12 (Tess Fowler)

Shitting on Tess Fowler really isnt funny anymore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looks more like he's flipping the bird than giving a thumbs up

tim1138

We'll be like, reading buddies!

I'll check out his BoP run next. Does his happen before or after Simone's? Because I'm also gonna look at hers at some point, too.

Oh hey, I answered your Bart Allen/Flash question in last month's thread if you missed it.

Messi

looks more like he's flipping the bird than giving a thumbs up

The ambiguity was intentional on my behalf as I have no idea if that is an insult or compliment.

In the context of the scene I believe
he is flipping him off, some disagree.

Top Bottom