• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah, until Claremont crapped all over things. Still can't believe how thoroughly he messed things up there, just super disappointing.

But yeah, Blink is great!

Edit: Actually, has Web Warriors been any good? Would be nice to have another marvel comic centered around a multiverse hopping team (that's what it is, right?), albeit one with a more spider-y theme.

Yeah, I actually stopped reading when Claremont and Psylocke came on board. I just couldn't handle the stuff they did to Morph in Bedard's run.

Web Warriors has been fun so far. The concept and execution is similar but I doubt any Spider-person will die every 10 issues like in Exiles. So in that sense it's a little more lighthearted than Exiles, though I hope they get to how parallel universes can weigh on them like it did to Mimic.

Vyer

Here's an interesting in-depth look at DC's tanking comic sales:
Crisis Management: A Look at the Troubled Present and Uncertain Future of DC Comics

With ANAD, Marvel seems to be more interested in raising/stabilizing their mid-tier books like All New Wolverine and Totally Awesome Hulk rather than focusing on blockbuster titles (probably leaving that to the events). It's a shame that DC You flopped, considering how much I adore Bizzaro, Midnighter, Omega Men and Prez. Those are the mid-tier books I want to see DC producing, but I agree with the analysis that people were burned out on the constant relaunches and passed on those books.

Wolverine/Hulk - Midnighter, Omega Men and Prez don't exactly seem like balanced comparisons imo. Pulling readers into Wolverine has got be easier than any of those other characters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So there's never going to be a Planetoid follow up, is there?
I'm sure it's coming eventually. From October:
Over the last year, I've been working on the sequel to my 2013 series PLANETOID (Image Comics). I'd made a lot of progress but I was feeling kind of burnt out and bothered by the fact that it had been so long since I'd had any work out on the shelves. Coincidentally, around this time, I got an offer from the always affable Bobby Curnow (IDW) to do some fill in work on TMNT ongoing series.
I could go on about all the ways in which TMNT influenced me (Jim Lawson's work on the TMNT ADVENTURES series needs mention) but I'll just say that it's quite literally a childhood dream realized to have worked on the series and say thanks to the IDW crew for letting me onboard. It was fun drawing these two issues. A lot was learned.

I'm now back at work on PLANETOID and the work is coming easier to me now... and I hope to have an announcement soon! Till then, be well.

Owzers

If someone didn't post those spoilery Namor pages i never would have knew it happened unless i browsed into that book on MU in half a year.

Vibranium

Banned
Here's an interesting in-depth look at DC's tanking comic sales:
Crisis Management: A Look at the Troubled Present and Uncertain Future of DC Comics

With ANAD, Marvel seems to be more interested in raising/stabilizing their mid-tier books like All New Wolverine and Totally Awesome Hulk rather than focusing on blockbuster titles (probably leaving that to the events). It's a shame that DC You flopped, considering how much I adore Bizzaro, Midnighter, Omega Men and Prez. Those are the mid-tier books I want to see DC producing, but I agree with the analysis that people were burned out on the constant relaunches and passed on those books.

Time for DiDio to get the boot?

ElNarez

Banned
no one cares about a death in some James Robinson comic because no one has cared about a James Robinson comic since the 90s

e: also, DiDio will not get the boot, because the best thing DC can do right now is to just keep going, rebuilding for themselves the goodwill they lost in their last two clusterfucks -that's the New 52 and Convergence, if you're keeping score- and publish books that people want to read. That also involves selling the fuck out of these books, which means doing some marketing, for once. Like, maybe not as obnoxious as Marvel, who literally tell you everything that's going to happen in a given book in the hopes you're curious enough to see for yourself, but, once in a while, send a fucking teaser promo, do something like "HEY DIPSHITS KYLE RAYNER IS GONNA FUCKING DIE, WANNA KNOW HOW? THE OMEGA MEN, OUT NOW" or "HEY DIPSHITS, HERE ARE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE AND THEY HAVE A WEIRD THING CAN YOU GUESS WHAT IT IS? NAH YOU CAN'T, DIPSHITS, MAKE A GUESS, THEN BUY MARTIAN MANHUNTER, AND YOU'LL BE LIKE 'WHOA, I WAS FAR OFF' BECAUSE HEY, YOU'RE DIPSHITS"

no one cares about a death in some James Robinson comic because no one has cared about a James Robinson comic since the 90s

e: also, DiDio will not get the boot, because the best thing DC can do right now is to just keep going, rebuilding for themselves the goodwill they lost in their last two clusterfucks -that's the New 52 and Convergence, if you're keeping score- and publish books that people want to read. That also involves selling the fuck out of these books, which means doing some marketing, for once. Like, maybe not as obnoxious as Marvel, who literally tell you everything that's going to happen in a given book in the hopes you're curious enough to see for yourself, but, once in a while, send a fucking teaser promo, do something like "HEY DIPSHITS KYLE RAYNER IS GONNA FUCKING DIE, WANNA KNOW HOW? THE OMEGA MEN, OUT NOW" or "HEY DIPSHITS, HERE ARE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE AND THEY HAVE A WEIRD THING CAN YOU GUESS WHAT IT IS? NAH YOU CAN'T, DIPSHITS, MAKE A GUESS, THEN BUY MARTIAN MANHUNTER, AND YOU'LL BE LIKE 'WHOA, I WAS FAR OFF' BECAUSE HEY, YOU'RE DIPSHITS"

But that's literally what they did.

Nobody's buying the books anyway.

I do agree that staying the course is the best possible decision right now, though. DC's perceived flakiness (be it real or imagined or exaggerated) is a big part of their problem saleswise. People don't buy books they don't expect to stick around to completion, even if they fully enjoy them.

at first I was surprised that Airboy was in the works for that long for ElNarez to be hyped about it 2 years ago but then again "James Robinson getting drunk and trying to reboot Golden Age characters comic" is like his whole career

Owzers

No one knows for sure what happens in DC comics, all we get are second hand rumors based off someone knowing someone who probably read one of their books. I don't believe it though.

Messi

No one knows for sure what happens in DC comics, all we get are second hand rumors based off someone knowing someone who probably read one of their books. I don't believe it though.

Grandharrier tells me all the hijinks happening in the dc titles and then I pick them up. He knows the ships that I like.

Owzers

Trump will never win

QdiDPhi.png

3 guesses as to who Marvel is bringing back

(it's wolverine)

(I mean come on)

(It is him)
Nah. That'd be ludicrous.

It's Xavier
Born in the Age of Apocalypse.
Rescued from Dark Beast's lab and raised by Sabertooth.
A snarky badass who often clashed with her X-Men leader Magneto.
One of two characters to escape the AoA reality (I think) along with Dark Beast.
Was later the leader of the reality hopping team known as the Exiles.
AoA Blob, Iceman, and Nightcrawler also escaped, though that was later during Uncanny X-Force.

How many issues are the epic collections? How much is Magik in it?

They're around 400 pages per book, so I'm gonna say 15-20 issues per volume. I honestly don't remember how much Magik was in it because they changed up the roster a bit every other arc. But the series is really worth reading for Blink.

I like that.

Seems there are 80-90 issues and only 20 something are on comixology.

I wonder if I would like it?

It definitely has ups and downs, as you would expect of any series that goes on for that long. But when it's good, it's really, really good. Also, you will love Blink.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I've got Exiles #45 in my hand right now. The roster for this one was Blink, Mimic, Morph, Nocturn, Sasquatch(Heather Hudson), and Gambit.

It was was written by Chuck Austen.

Messi, you are gonna love the HELL out of Bombshells when you finally get your hands on the trade. Right up your alley, though a little less lewd.

The best way to get it is in these big collections?

That's how I read it, so I would say yes. The only downside for me was I had to suffer through several months between books as I bought them as they came out.

What if the dead person coming back is Emma? Emma is dead right?

Emma isn't dead, is she? My guess is Jean. The REAL Jean. She's gonna put everyone back in line.

Messi, have you ever browsed through Sideshow's archives and regret all the pieces you missed because you weren't into them at the time when they came out and were actually reasonably priced?

Messi

Messi, you are gonna love the HELL out of Bombshells when you finally get your hands on the trade. Right up your alley, though a little less lewd.

I am dying to read it. I don't mind if it is less lewd. I read the first issue digitally and it had Kate and Maggie as a couple. If that continues I will be happy forever. Plus I love all those designs and the overall concept. Margurite Bennet has done no wrong in my eyes. Everything she touches is magic.

That's how I read it, so I would say yes. The only downside for me was I had to suffer through several months between books as I bought them as they came out.

Emma isn't dead, is she? My guess is Jean. The REAL Jean. She's gonna put everyone back in line.

Messi, have you ever browsed through Sideshow's archives and regret all the pieces you missed because you weren't into them at the time when they came out and were actually reasonably priced?

Those are awesome, why would I do that to myself? That path only leads to pain.

Emma being dead is the only reason I see for not one book referencing her or having her in the cast.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read Walking Dead #144

Holy. Shit.

Literally sat there with my mouth open at the end of that. Just wow.

Top Bottom