• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Messi

Haven't read it.

I have the first two issues of Sunstone on my computer, havent got around to reading it yet.

Considering I seem to be failing at the questions so far: I AM at the moment following Bitch Planet, Heathen, WicDiv and DK III.
Also in the middle of reading Punk Rock Jesus.

There is no failing the test we are only having some fun. Those are some good books and bitch Planet.

PsychBat!

Banned
Haven't read it.

Considering I seem to be failing at the questions so far

Cool, welcome to ComicGAF

I didn't really give a damn, it's just an inside joke we do to newbies asking random questions BUT some spoilsports take it too seriously.

Welcome all the same, I hope you enjoy it here. :D

Whoo no longer the new guy!

Hey Enchanter enjoy your stay.

ur still gun face the wraff of sikebat

Haven't read it.

I have the first two issues of Sunstone on my computer, havent got around to reading it yet.

Considering I seem to be failing at the questions so far: I AM at the moment following Bitch Planet, Heathen, WicDiv and DK III.

Whatever people say around here, buy Valiant.

tim1138

Haven't read it.

Welcome to the thread, hope you enjoy your stay.

Bitch Planet and Punk Rock Jesus are great comics, PRJ in particular is one of my favorites of the post five or so years. I'd be interested in seeing your opinions on it.

Zombine

Banned
Punk Rock Jesus are great comics, PRJ in particular is one of my favorites of the post five or so years. I'd be interested in seeing your opinions on it.

Fuck dude...Punk Rock Jesus is honestly one of my favorite comics of all time, and one of my favorite memories of when I re-discovered comics.

Imagine being kind of new, not know who the fuck anyone is or what's hot, but having a love for really sick art and music. I saw a tiny blurb about the comic in one of the weekly comic newspapers that I picked up, and said "That cover is pretty badass. I'll try it out even though it's not Marvel or DC heroes." And I had my mind subsequently blown, and it's what got me on my image/vertigo bender and what made me chase good stories instead of being a loyalist to a particular publishing house. I am so glad I have the floppies of that book.

Another book that I have similar feelings toward is Fraction's Hawkeye. I was clueless, and had to pick between Gambit (lol) and Hawkeye. I went with Hawkeye because the "art looked better." (Lol) I ended up picking up one of my favorite books of all time that day.

I always tell new people that it's cool when you ask for recs because it can give you an idea of stuff that you might find enjoyable, but man you just can't beat when you find a new book on your own and it ends up being something you love.

shingi70

Banned
Cool, welcome to ComicGAF

I didn't really give a damn, it's just an inside joke we do to newbies asking random questions BUT some spoilsports take it too seriously.

Welcome all the same, I hope you enjoy it here. :D

ur still gun face the wraff of sikebat

Who are you anyways?

I'm pretty sure he's Messi.

Well he likes whatever Messi recommends.

CASE CLOSED

Hey I'm my own man.
357463af67c7b44d51f6ac5781a0ae77.jpg

Boogiepop

So, does anyone have the Superior Spider-man Hardcovers, and would preferably be able to show them next to some other books so I can get an idea? I'm considering making an order on IST now that the next TMNT, Shutter, and Hellblazer (collection of old stuff) volumes are out, and I'm kind of tempted to get those too. Also considering grabbing that one volume of Silk that's out as well.

What if dead no more= A lot of people come back? Marvel just finished their Crisis event. A bunch of should be deads will be back soon if they continue to ape DC.

Sadist

So, in the latest Extraordinary X-Men,
Charles was walking around
Is that the dead no more.
No, the X-Men are hiding in some hell dimension/purgatory thing. The dead no more refers to Uncanny Avengers #4... with the appearance of Hank Pym.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Welcome to the thread, hope you enjoy your stay.

Bitch Planet and Punk Rock Jesus are great comics, PRJ in particular is one of my favorites of the post five or so years. I'd be interested in seeing your opinions on it.

I'm really liking it so far. Only about half way through - the social commentary is pretty excellent and covers a huge range of issues. I really like the scientific integrity aspect of it in particular.

The art is totally suited to the fast pace and nature of the story too.

Zombine

Banned
Fuck. I figured it out.

They forgot they left Silver Sable dead. She's back.

Also, welcome enchanter! Do you know about some of the discount sites we all use like www.instocktrades.com ? You'll save quite a bit of money if you like to buy physical books.

Punk Rock Jesus is a book where you discover something about yourself and say "fuck man...." I read that book in an interesting time in my life.

tim1138

Fuck dude...Punk Rock Jesus is honestly one of my favorite comics of all time, and one of my favorite memories of when I re-discovered comics.

Imagine being kind of new, not know who the fuck anyone is or what's hot, but having a love for really sick art and music. I saw a tiny blurb about the comic in one of the weekly comic newspapers that I picked up, and said "That cover is pretty badass. I'll try it out even though it's not Marvel or DC heroes." And I had my mind subsequently blown, and it's what got me on my image/vertigo bender and what made me chase good stories instead of being a loyalist to a particular publishing house. I am so glad I have the floppies of that book.

Another book that I have similar feelings toward is Fraction's Hawkeye. I was clueless, and had to pick between Gambit (lol) and Hawkeye. I went with Hawkeye because the "art looked better." (Lol) I ended up picking up one of my favorite books of all time that day.

I always tell new people that it's cool when you ask for recs because it can give you an idea of stuff that you might find enjoyable, but man you just can't beat when you find a new book on your own and it ends up being something you love.

I remember reading the advance press for PRJ and just being blown away by the whole concept. It's obviously Murphy working through some shit, but it's handled so perfectly. For my money it's pretty much a perfect comic from start to finish and it kills me that it wasn't more widely received and recognized. All that said, the deluxe hardcover is one of my most regretted purchases, the amount of gutter loss in that book is awful, you lose so much of Murphy's amazing linework. I highly recommend anyone and everyone who is a fan of the series to check it out digitally, it looks so freaking great. I'd post some screen caps, but I don't want to inadvertently post spoilers.

This might have an obvious answer but thinking about your physical collections...do you have any books you're not sure you'll actually read again?

Zombine

Banned
I remember reading the advance press for PRJ and just being blown away by the whole concept. It's obviously Murphy working through some shit, but it's handled so perfectly. For my money it's pretty much a perfect comic from start to finish and it kills me that it wasn't more widely received and recognized. All that said, the deluxe hardcover is one of my most regretted purchases, the amount of gutter loss in that book is awful, you lose so much of Murphy's amazing linework. I highly recommend anyone and everyone who is a fan of the series to check it out digitally, it looks so freaking great. I'd post some screen caps, but I don't want to inadvertently post spoilers.

Yeah I remember you saying the gutter loss is pretty gnarly. :/

I re-read it on Comixology as well, and man does it look sharp. I think it's been on sale a few times, but it hasn't dropped in price in a while. I just tell people to go for it if you're even considering it. Not to mention that SGM is a pretty wonderful dude.

This might have an obvious answer but thinking about your physical collections...do you have any books you're not sure you'll actually read again?

I have books that I've purchased that I don't think I'll read once.

PsychBat!

Banned
Well New Romancer #2 was better than that first nonsensical issue. The second issue still had some flaws of the first but it was more tolerable.

Zombine

Banned
Ooh no I hadn't heard of that one. I'm assuming they do shipping to the UK?

Absolutely. Like Messi mentioned they do cost quite a bit for shipping, but you might find that it's still the best price. There may even be an American post forwarding service you can use. I would have to research that though.

How does everyone feel about American Alien so far?

Wonderful book. Landis is killing it. #1 was my favorite book of that month and worked its way into one of my top single issues of all time.

tim1138

I'm really liking it so far. Only about half way through - the social commentary is pretty excellent and covers a huge range of issues. I really like the scientific integrity aspect of it in particular.

The art is totally suited to the fast pace and nature of the story too.

Murphy didn't half ass anything about it, that's for sure.

How're you liking Bitch Planet so far?

Punk Rock Jesus is a book where you discover something about yourself and say "fuck man...." I read that book in an interesting time in my life.

It's powerful stuff for sure, everyone seriously should read it.

Yeah I remember you saying the gutter loss is pretty gnarly. :/

I re-read it on Comixology as well, and man does it look sharp. I think it's been on sale a few times, but it hasn't dropped in price in a while. I just tell people to go for it if you're even considering it. Not to mention that SGM is a pretty wonderful dude.

I have books that I've purchased that I don't think I'll read once.

If I ever see it on sale I'll probably rebuy the deluxe edition on CMX, so I can properly appreciate the new pages.

Wonderful book. Landis is killing it. #1 was my favorite book of that month and worked its way into one of my top single issues of all time.

I read #1, and the one that just came out (gotta catch the ones I missed). I'm really digging it, which is surprising the hell out of me.

The
I'M BRUCE WAAAAAAAAYNE
panel killed me.

Owzers

They will charge you an arm and a leg. I live on Ireland and my last order shipping was 80 on 400€ worth of books. Likely still cheaper than here tho.

They don't charge more because it costs more, they charge more because comics are for Americans and if you want a taste it's going to cost you.

Zombine

Banned
Murphy didn't half ass anything about it, that's for sure.

How're you liking Bitch Planet so far?

It's powerful stuff for sure, everyone seriously should read it.

If I ever see it on sale I'll probably rebuy the deluxe edition on CMX, so I can properly appreciate the new pages.

I never saw the new stuff. Is it a meaty addition to the plot or some throwaway pages?

I read #1, and the one that just came out (gotta catch the ones I missed). I'm really digging it, which is surprising the hell out of me.

The
I'M BRUCE WAAAAAAAAYNE
panel killed me.

Man, the writing from that book is coming from such a different place. Sometimes I feel like comics have really stiff dialogue because the writers are kind of mediocre, but Landis does such a wonderful job of bringing those big Hollywood level quotables and organic dialogue to the page. I really think that this medium just works for the guy.

Zombine

Banned
That's good to hear. I bought it anyway despite not being a big fan of the first issue.

I think some of you guys know I'm a big fan of Brett Parson's Art, so I'm just thrilled to see him get some work. This is definitely his "The Last Days of American Crime." Wait till he gets better work. Dude is going to be fire.

tim1138

I never saw the new stuff. Is it a meaty addition to the plot or some throwaway pages?

It's about 10 pages worth of new stuff that helps flesh some stuff out. Obviously the story works just fine without them, but it's a nice addition. The back matter in the hardcover is nice too, it's just a shame that the presentation of the actual comic is so poor.

I think some of you guys know I'm a big fan of Brett Parson's Art, so I'm just thrilled to see him get some work. This is definitely his "The Last Days of American Crime." Wait till he gets better work. Dude is going to be fire.

Brett Parson draws an amazing Tank Girl, let me tell you...

How does everyone feel about American Alien so far?

It's on point. Landis spun a pitch-perfect tale of a boyhood Clark in issue 1, and with issue 2 he moved into very different but extremely interesting territory. Clark as a young adolescent who acts like a young adolescent is something I haven't seen before.

Haven't read issue 3 yet.

It's a Superman book for people that don't like Superman or Clark Kent.

Stop being wrong.

MartyStu

Mighty Thor 3

This issue was...dense.

And Aaron nails the essence of Loki while still leaving his own mark on this incarnation.

I am very curious about his endgame.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That Sunstone guy should do Bayonetta fanart

Top Bottom