• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

The Walking Dead #150
Very good issue, even though it was overhyped to the max. Progressed the story in a meaningful way. I think something major needs to happen in the next few issues, though.

Ninjak #11
Braithwaite’s art is a vision. Otherwise, some really interesting developments in this issue regarding Magpie, and a really great backup story. Perhaps a bit too much setup in this issue, still.

Robin War #2
Solid conclusion to a solid event. Some parts weren’t amazing, but I think this event was worth it, at least for the incredible Grayson issue and the conclusion. Some meaningful changes are going to stem from here, it would seem.

Mighty Thor #3
This was a really fun issue. Having Thor face off against
the Lokis
was really entertaining. Coupled with some beautiful art, I’d say this was either my favorite book this week or close to it. I highly recommend everyone be reading this book; it’s one of the best of ANAD. Some hilarious call backs and metahumor, too.

Huck #3
An ok, kind of predictable issue. There was a neat development at the end, but otherwise I’m keeping up due to Albuquerque’s art.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #0
I can tell this series is going to be a lot of fun. I’m disappointed I have to wait until March, but Higgins has really captured the spirit of the tv series and added in some comic and slightly more adult flourishes to it. I’m eager to see where it goes. Also, the art is striking.

Dr. Mirage: Second Lives #2
This series is suffering from the same problem as the original: because it’s not really a cape book, and Dr. Mirage does not really have the powers to fight crime, ghosts, the like, it’s become more of an occult book. What this basically means is that, there’s a whole lot of talking. That’s not a big deal by any means, but trying to keep up with everything is easier done by reading all these issues together; this’ll be a much more fluid read in trade. Otherwise, this book wins art of the week for those flashback panels.

All-New All Different Avengers #3
Ok, finally this series breaks out of the doldrums. With #0, they kind of teased something they hadn’t really delivered on. I think Waid is starting to pick up that groove now. Also, Nova finally got his head out of his ass, though I could still do without him. I liked the interplay between the characters in this issue a lot. I hope this upcoming arc is at this level or better.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I finally read the comics I bought last week.

Captain America: White #5 and Swamp Thing #1 made me feel like I traveled through time. They're both old-school in a good way. Some of the dialogue in Swamp Thing is weird, but the premise has a lot of potential. Captain America has some touching narration and was a nice story overall.

The Fade Out #12 is a great conclusion to one of Brubaker and Philips' best collaborations. It was a fascinating look at the seedier side of old Hollywood. The characters were compelling and the story was gripping. The ending is not "satisfying" in the most general way, but that's the whole point.

Has anyone read Morrison's Supergods book?
Kinda wanted to read it for a while now and I've got an operation in a month or two and figured might be a nifty paperback to have for a couple of nights.

Reading Superman American Alien....it's really good.

Buuuuut it got me thinking...is there a major character from DC/Marvel that's probably suited to the shorter form/one off stories (All Star Superman etc) than Superman himself?
I'd say no. Superman has in and out of universe qualities lending himself really well to that sort of thing.

BTW everybody should be reading American Alien. Even the Mahvel stans.

diaspora

Clark's facepalm in American Alien fucking killed me.

Batman also having bats on the bottom of his boots for footprints was also hilarious.

Kinda wanted to read it for a while now and I've got an operation in a month or two and figured might be a nifty paperback to have for a couple of nights.
It's a good read. Explains a lot about both comics in general and Morrison stories in particular.

It's a good read. Explains a lot about both comics in general and Morrison stories in particular.

Heh, I'll get it closer to the time then. I tend to take things at face value/too seriously so when Morrison does his trademark throwaway stuff about metaphysics or gods or just general waxing poetic sometimes I don't realize that I'm not meant to absorb it all. Or maybe I am. The man is a magician, after all.

VanWinkle

Gotham Academy #14 was totes adorbz. A collection of little short stories with different artists, with the framing device of Olive and Maps putting together a scrapbook for the year (since apparently the school doesn't actually have a yearbook club).

Would heartily recommend.

I'm really excited to read this story arc in like a year

Heh, I'll get it closer to the time then. I tend to take things at face value/too seriously so when Morrison does his trademark throwaway stuff about metaphysics or gods or just general waxing poetic sometimes I don't realize that I'm not meant to absorb it all. Or maybe I am. The man is a magician, after all.
He's convinced that he caused an earthquake by bring a temple to life and turning into a giant lion.

You should ABSOLUTELY take the metaphysical stuff at face value, he's 100% serious.

kmfdmpig

Yes. It's a good read and a fairly quick one. You get a real sense of his love of comic history throughout.

mreddie

beware-sting-65a9f.jpg

No...it can't be...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is Wasp currently dead?

well I mean, like before ANAD

Top Bottom