• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

So in my haste to catch up with Secret Wars stuff on MU I decided to read through Hickman's Avengers + New Avengers. I read both in order up through Infinity (I also read the main event) and am about 7 or so issues from finishing Avenger which might be finished by tonight.

...it's okay. Part of the problem is that Infinity was only an okay event. Part of the problem is that having just gone through the Cosmic events, this felt weak in comparison. It was like Annihilation except instead of horrifying insect hordes and billions dead it was a bunch of dudes that reminded me the Reapers from Mass Effect and like some planets were blown up or something? it isn't really clear.

The other problem I have is that while the fact that Earth is the most important planet in the Universe is kind of an inevitable problem that comics have, I think it's better when they don't draw attention to it too much. Having the Avengers be the most competent players in the Universe felt pretty dumb, especially after all the shit the different empires went through in the earlier Cosmic stuff. So of course all the different alien races help out and sacrifice thousands/millions of troops to help save Earth because of honor I guess.

This Avengers vs. Illuminati stuff is kind of weak as well. Considering the amount of stuff that apparently happened in the 8 months after Cap returned from his wacky time-travel adventure I'm guessing that Hickman was rushed, which is a shame. That first post-timeskip chapter was so jarring I have a hard time believing that was intentional.

Hopefully New Avengers is better.

Megatron

New avengers IS better. IMO. I thought that was by far the stronger series.

Hickman was just born to write the fantastic four and reed. I hate seeing him fight it.

Megatron

I've read the first two issues of daredevil.

I don't like the
lame plot devices. Matt mysteriously found a way to make everyone forget he's daredevil. Couldn't this just have been tied into secret wars somehow? Oh and just as mysteriously Foggy hates Matt again. Yawn. I honestly don't even care why. So contrived.

I do like the
fact that Matt is a prosecutor now. The overall story is good so far as well, and it really like Garney's new art style.

I am ambivalent towards blind spot so far.

About to read JSA Omnibus Vol. 1.

Quite the undertaking, though after seeing NXT live tonight, I'm a wee bit worn out. I'll probably fall asleep before making any real progress.
I'm really disappointed how little Bendis accomplished All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, i've enjoyed reading it on MU, especially Uncanny for Bachalo's art, but it's nothing.
It was a very enjoyable run. I really liked it. More Uncanny than All-New. All-New really fell apart after the Future Brotherhood Returns arc. Ultimate Adventure was complete filler and the Utopians felt really rushed.
Nothing long-term ever seems to happen in Bendis books because he always puts all of the toys back in the toybox, so to speak, when his run is finished. In Uncanny, Tempus was his method of doing this. She existed purely to be one big adorable deus ex machina.
This is pretty accurate. Though, his DD run left Matt in prison and his Moon Knight run killed off Maya Lopez.
Of course he does. It's a convenient plot device.

I don't know why he feels he needs to use it, though. His run on Daredevil was some of the best comics I've ever read.
Even that used magic

mreddie

I've read the first two issues of daredevil.

I don't like the
lame plot devices. Matt mysteriously found a way to make everyone forget he's daredevil. Couldn't this just have been tied into secret wars somehow? Oh and just as mysteriously Foggy hates Matt again. Yawn. I honestly don't even care why. So contrived.

Match it with the Series I assume. OMDaying Daredevil kinda makes sense to avoid writing themselves into a corner

Tomita

Hey, I'm not dead. Behind on so much stuff though, comic and life related ):

But I read Scarlet Witch #2 as soon as I got my hands on it, and seriously ya'll--if any of you were on the fence about this series when #1 came out, go check out #2. The art is stunning on every single page. I am in love with every single panel. The writing is also an improvement from the first issue, IMO. Still not 100% happy with Wanda's "voice" in this, but I am a crazy fan and picky as fuck, sooooo it's doable.

Also managed to read American Alien #3. I found #2 kind of a let down compared to #1, which I loved. No problem with the plot for #2, persay, I just... I dunno, I couldn't quite get into that one. And I didn't super love Clark's voice in that. But #3 was great! I loved the bits about Bruce.
Clark getting drunk is fucking hilarious and anyone saying otherwise doesn't like fun. And who doesn't love the part where he flicks Deathstroke off the ship?
I also totally read this comic while hungover but I swear it's good, okay.

I tried reading Web-Warriors #3 while actually drunk and it was too complicated for me to understand. Like. How???? I could read Batman & Man from UNCLE #2 while drunk, though.

Has anyone read the new "Spidey" comic, and how is it?

Oh, and I'm excited for the new Poe comic. With Noto art!! April is too far away, haha. I hope old lady Leia is in it a lot too.

Journey into Mystery - Exiled #1, New Mutants #42/#43, JiM 637-638: Decided to finish reading Gillen's JiM run. There is something utterly charming about this series. Very fun arc and we get to see more of the Disir.

Also, Bor is an asshole. So is Sigurd.

And this line cracked me up.

Here come the brides, all homicides.

It was bit disorienting because the arc started with Exiled #1 and I didn't know any of the X-Men in the issue. And was this a "tie-in" or something? Because the arc would make no sense without reading both New Mutants and JiM.

Mafro

So in my haste to catch up with Secret Wars stuff on MU I decided to read through Hickman's Avengers + New Avengers. I read both in order up through Infinity (I also read the main event) and am about 7 or so issues from finishing Avenger which might be finished by tonight.

...it's okay. Part of the problem is that Infinity was only an okay event. Part of the problem is that having just gone through the Cosmic events, this felt weak in comparison. It was like Annihilation except instead of horrifying insect hordes and billions dead it was a bunch of dudes that reminded me the Reapers from Mass Effect and like some planets were blown up or something? it isn't really clear.

The other problem I have is that while the fact that Earth is the most important planet in the Universe is kind of an inevitable problem that comics have, I think it's better when they don't draw attention to it too much. Having the Avengers be the most competent players in the Universe felt pretty dumb, especially after all the shit the different empires went through in the earlier Cosmic stuff. So of course all the different alien races help out and sacrifice thousands/millions of troops to help save Earth because of honor I guess.

This Avengers vs. Illuminati stuff is kind of weak as well. Considering the amount of stuff that apparently happened in the 8 months after Cap returned from his wacky time-travel adventure I'm guessing that Hickman was rushed, which is a shame. That first post-timeskip chapter was so jarring I have a hard time believing that was intentional.

Hopefully New Avengers is better.
You'll get a lot more out of the Time Runs Out arc if you read Avengers and New Avengers in the order they came out.
This is pretty accurate. Though, his DD run left Matt in prison and his Moon Knight run killed off Maya Lopez.
Killed off Victoria Hand too at the end of his New Avengers run, which he admitted doing so no one else could write her.

PsychBat!

Banned
Killed off Victoria Hand too at the end of his New Avengers run, which he admitted doing so no one else could write her.
*sigh*

I actually made a really loud sigh. I'm really sleepy and my vision is blurry. He probably put Eva out in the time stream so no one else could write her.

You'll get a lot more out of the Time Runs Out arc if you read Avengers and New Avengers in the order they came out.

How does that stop someone from writing her? I could just bullshit something like it was her LMD that died.

Journey into Mystery - Exiled #1, New Mutants #42/#43, JiM 637-638: Decided to finish reading Gillen's JiM run. There is something utterly charming about this series. Very fun arc and we get to see more of the Disir.

Also, Bor is an asshole. So is Sigurd.

And this line cracked me up.

Here come the brides, all homicides.

It was bit disorienting because the arc started with Exiled #1 and I didn't know any of the X-Men in the issue. And was this a "tie-in" or something? Because the arc would make no sense without reading both New Mutants and JiM.

Yea. I had to look for those damn Journey into Mystery comics because I was buying New mutants...took a few weeks. Tie-in my ass.

mreddie

Thanks.
I love how Iron Man Sales went down after Bendis arrogant comments.

Wait what he say?

Also, can we get Gerry Duggan on Hawkguy? Only wrote Deadpool vs. hawkeye and the short story in Gwenpool but he gets him way more than Lemire.

I already accepted Hope van Dyne as the savior of the Wasp because SYNERGY.

Hey, I'm not dead. Behind on so much stuff though, comic and life related ):

But I read Scarlet Witch #2 as soon as I got my hands on it, and seriously ya'll--if any of you were on the fence about this series when #1 came out, go check out #2. The art is stunning on every single page. I am in love with every single panel. The writing is also an improvement from the first issue, IMO. Still not 100% happy with Wanda's "voice" in this, but I am a crazy fan and picky as fuck, sooooo it's doable.

I really like Wanda but I don't know if Robinson is the writer I want on a solo with her. That along with the rotating artists, including Steve Dillon, are the main reasons why I haven't checked it out.

If it stays quality after the first arc I think I'll check it out though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I believe alot of the ANAD books are dropping below pre Secret Wars numbers.

If they really want their sales to go up they'll give me my Runaways and Exiles reboots along with an Elsa Bloodstone solo book! Cuz if there is one thing I know it's clearly how to boost comic sales!

Owzers

How do you still need cards? I couldn't spend gold even if I wanted to right now.

Whahhhhhhhht. I'm sitting on 3200 dust, i don't have a lot of epics or legendaries though. I just crafted a Sylvanas, third legendary crafted after Boom and Tirion. Most expensive epic crafting spree was a second mysterious challenger, two FoN, and two Ancients of Lore so i could finish Secret Pally and Druid. Also drew a Antonidas, Jaraxxus, Bloodmage Thanos, Eadric the Useless, Cairne, Trogg, and then some nonsense i dusted like Tinkmaster and Skeleton Knight.

Oh JSA, in which American troops spray foxes with phosphorescent paint to scare the Japanese because "they are a superstitious people."

Motherfucker I think anyone would freak out at the sight of a glow-in-the-dark green fox!
Say what? That's so dumb. Have any other comic writers done that?
Or just don't even acknowledge it. Just have her show up. "I got back from vacation."
I was gonna say, you could just have her pop out of the timestream herself. She's a time-traveler. She can do whatever.

shingi70

Banned
I'm bummed DC You and ANAD aren't doing as twell as Marvel hopes. I kinda like the idea of yearly relaunches and moving comic to be more like TV seasons.

Top Bottom