• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

I'm bummed DC You and ANAD aren't doing as twell as Marvel hopes. I kinda like the idea of yearly relaunches and moving comic to be more like TV seasons.

DCYou in particular bums me out because it was SUCH a quality increase. So many great books that nobody's buying...

Tomita

^ I really wish the Batman Beyond comics could be good. Loved the TV show, but even the TV show failed to reach its full potential. Terry's villains were usually pretty lame.

I really like Wanda but I don't know if Robinson is the writer I want on a solo with her. That along with the rotating artists, including Steve Dillon, are the main reasons why I haven't checked it out.

If it stays quality after the first arc I think I'll check it out though.

I totally feel you on all of that, though in this case I don't mind the rotating artists so much because the locations are always different and they all look amazing imo besides #1. Normally not a fan myself. But the writing is definitely an improvement from #1, so if someone was feeling real wishy washy about getting #1, maybe check out #2.

Even if the comic was shit I'd probably buy at least the first 3-5 issues to support the existence of a solo Wanda comic, though. lol me. If I was rich I would be to Scarlet Witch what Messi is to Harley Quinn.

In #2 I at least appreciated how Wanda's
mental health was addressed. I really hate the whole LOL SHE'S CU-RAZY especially since like, uh, hey, that's not how mental health works, at all... But in #2 she mentioned having depression and the whole thing felt more respected and reality based. Not that it was a huge deal in #2, but I was sensitive about how her "mental health" thing was going to be portrayed... She definitely still has dignity to her.

Messi

DC/Marvel Heavy week, would love an Image heavy week soon:

Batgirl #47
Batman #48
Batman and Robin #16
Clean Room #4
Harley Quinn #24
Lucifer #2
Martian Manhunter #8
Poison Ivy Cycle of Life and Death #1
Robin Son of Batman #8
Secret Six #10

I Hate Fairyland #4
Tokyo Ghost #5
Wayward #13
Wolf #5

Astonishing Ant Man #4
Captain Marvel #1
Deadpool #6
Drax #3
Ms Marvel #3
New Avengers #5
Patsy Walker Aka Hellcat #2
Silver Surfer #1
Star Lord #3
Uncanny Inhumans #4
Uncanny X-Men #2

Rachel Rising #39

Trades:
Swords of Sorrow Complete Saga TP
Star Wars TP Lando
Punisher Max Vol 1
Revival Deluxe Vol 3
Grayson TP Vol 2 (Fuck you DC for cancelling the HC after volume 1)
Batgirl Vol 1 Silent Knight

I'm buying Midnighter and Black Canary. And Batman Beyond, but that I'll probably drop after the next issue. It's not very good.

Beyond's started to grow on me now that Brother Eye is less of a thing. There's some interesting story potential now that they've moved past the "invincible AI body horror" stuff.

^ I really wish the Batman Beyond comics could be good. Loved the TV show, but even the TV show failed to reach its full potential. Terry's villains were usually pretty lame.
The recent book isn't very good, but I'm not a fan because A) It isn't Terry, and B) since the New 52 started, Tim Drake has been...not great.

Batman Beyond: Hush was and Batman Beyond 2.0 has been (from what I've read so far) good.
Beyond's started to grow on me now that Brother Eye is less of a thing. There's some interesting story potential now that they've moved past the "invincible AI body horror" stuff.
True. The whole
Max potentially becoming a Green Lantern
, but it's still...I dunno. I think I can't get over Tim being in the suit, and this Tim is so boring.

Boogiepop

There's some good to even great stuff in the Batman Beyond/Justice League Beyond comics. Though not all of it, and I can't speak on the current run, but there is some really solid stuff out there if you're looking for it.

Messi

Once again matching with the Punisher Netflix Rumor.

The rule is really Ultimate/Complete Collection releases = TV show announcdment/Character is unannounced in a Movie.

hmmm

The Punisher, actor Jon Bernthal’s character from Netflix’s Daredevil, will get his own Netflix spinoff series from Marvel, Deadline has confirmed. The character makes his debut when Daredevil begins its second season March 18. No date has been set for The Punisher bow, which was first reported by TVLine.

I'm down, love punisher and Jon Bernthal.

Star Wars TP Lando

lousivillelando-gif.gif

Good choice. I loved that book. Might consider double dipping for the trade.

That Punisher news is awesome.

I wish Birdie hadn't recommended Hellboy a while ago. It makes my wishlist ever the more longer and my bank account all the more...smaller(?). So good though.

Messi

Lol. Pretty sure a post from Messi made me look up the DC Bombshell statues.

my mistake. we can't play the blame game though or otherwise it's a slipper slope to Comic-GAF Civil War II...

Happy to help :p

I have the target for Civil War II already picked out, don't worry.

Boogiepop

I wish Birdie hadn't recommended Hellboy a while ago. It makes my wishlist ever the more longer and my bank account all the more...smaller(?). So good though.

The scary thing about Hellboy is that the whole Mignolaverse is great and kind of ties together, and before you know it you have a massive collection of trades...

I did finally catch up and buy it all (well, I still plan on grabbing the Baltimore stuff, but that doesn't tie in at all, as far as I know), but it's quite the money/space sink to get there.

I can't side with anyone who is #TeamShane.. or for that matter #TeamRick. It's all about #TeamCarl but not TV Carl, only Comic Carl. My friend and I weeped as he told me that TV Carl had auditioned for young Indiana Jones role.

The scary thing about Hellboy is that the whole Mignolaverse is great and kind of ties together, and before you know it you have a massive collection of trades...

I did finally catch up and buy it all (well, I still plan on grabbing the Baltimore stuff, but that doesn't tie in at all, as far as I know), but it's quite the money/space sink to get there.

Tell me a bout it. I have the first 3 vols of the Hellboy Library edition but i'm trying to be a tad better about reading my stuff before getting the next in the series...but i've got a Mignolaverse reading list and providing something doesn't turn me off i'll get it at some point...but i'm only just 2/3 through Miller's Daredevil Vol 2 and I got that for christmas 2014. So shoot me :p

Tell me about it. I started last summer and spent hundreds and I don't even have everything! I need to get back to reading so I can catch up to BPRD Hell on Earth.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I can't side with anyone who is #TeamShane.. or for that matter #TeamRick. It's all about #TeamCarl but not TV Carl, only Comic Carl. My friend and I weeped as he told me that TV Carl had auditioned for young Indiana Jones role.

It's amazing what being the absolute worst actor on a highly rated show can do for a career.

Owzers

Go Patriots! I'm going to read Karnak #1 to celebrate America's team future winning.

edit: I'm not sure i cared for Karnak #1, a very gloomy book, felt like I was being rained on the entire time.

Tomita

The recent book isn't very good, but I'm not a fan because A) It isn't Terry, and B) since the New 52 started, Tim Drake has been...not great.

Batman Beyond: Hush was and Batman Beyond 2.0 has been (from what I've read so far) good.

There's some good to even great stuff in the Batman Beyond/Justice League Beyond comics. Though not all of it, and I can't speak on the current run, but there is some really solid stuff out there if you're looking for it.

I've only heard bad things about the comics, and the ones I tried picking up weren't good either. Guess I just have bad luck, lol. I'll start with those two recs :D

Messi

I read a real book recently. It was weird. I missed the pictures.

If you keep this behaviour up you are going to have to leave. Books without images? fuck that shit.

Go Patriots! I'm going to read Karnak #1 to celebrate America's team future winning.

edit: I'm not sure i cared for Karnak #1, a very gloomy book, felt like I was being rained on the entire time.

I wouldn't worry about Karnak. It has gone missing after #1

Got my DCBS order today and finally reading some new books.

Marvel REALLY futz up this Spidey #2 book, there's a double page spread towards the end that's cut in half. Dammit...
It's a pretty good book though, would like it more if there was more teen drama.

So I caught up on my MU reading. Liking some of the SW series but I also am ready to go back to normal Marvel. Each series is exhausting because I have to remember what each variation of the same characters are doing in each book.

Hail hydra has been the biggest surprise. Remender putting in some work.

In other news making good progress on Ori and the blind Forrest. And I learned the crunchroll app isn't like Hulu and I can watch anime for free with commercials. I might dive back into anime! (Hah one more thing to fall behind in)

In other news making good progress on Ori and the blind Forrest. And I learned the crunchroll app isn't like Hulu and I can watch anime for free with commercials. I might dive back into anime! (Hah one more thing to fall behind in)

I've been paying for Crunchyroll for a couple years now and its been great. Death to commercials.

Top Bottom