• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

VanWinkle

Oh YES. Reading The Black Beetle by Francavilla, it's AMAZING. Great pulpy fun.

And what an absolute beast Francavilla is at panel design and action sequencing. Look at this:

IMAG0321.jpg

What a perfect sequence.

mreddie

I can't actually remember anything from that series that ended up being important in the grand scheme of things other than Thor becoming unworthy for some reason.

Tony and Bruce ended up making Hulk (that series is good for both characters)
Deadpool has a kid
Angela is revealed to be Thor/Loki's sis
Silk

Alright Comic Gaf. I'm gonna try and get through some of my comic backlog today. What do you guys think I should read? I've got:

Afterlife With Archie Volume 1
Batman: Zero Year Volume 1 & 2
Morrison's Flex Mentallo
Fraction's Hawkeye (I suppose I'll save this for that reading club that's going on?)
Locke & Key Volume 2 & 3
Pretty Deadly Volume 1
Parker: The Hunter
Sex Criminals Volume 1
Southern Bastards Volume 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1-4 (the new IDM series)
Thor: God of Thunder Volume 1 & 2
Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers & Volume 1 of More Than Meets the Eye

I'm probably definitely going to read Southern Bastards, but the rest is pretty up in the air. I also have Sandman and Waid's entire Daredevil run, but those are a bit too intimidating right now.

Owzers

Uncanny X-Men #35 was okay, staying awake until the early morning fiddling around with Xenoblade X arts and gear.....i need to cut myself off of that game like a mogwai at last feeding.

Alright Comic Gaf. I'm gonna try and get through some of my comic backlog today. What do you guys think I should read? I've got:

Morrison's Flex Mentallo
Fraction's Hawkeye (I suppose I'll save this for that reading club that's going on?)
Locke & Key Volume 2 & 3
Pretty Deadly Volume 1
Sex Criminals Volume 1

I'm probably definitely going to read Southern Bastards, but the rest is pretty up in the air. I also have Sandman and Waid's entire Daredevil run, but those are a bit too intimidating right now.
That's a crazy good backlog. I'd go with God of Thunder. That's the Aaron and Ribic arc I think.

VanWinkle

Morrison's Flex Mentallo
Locke & Key Volume 2 & 3
Pretty Deadly Volume 1
Sex Criminals Volume 1

Batman Zero Year

Messi

Morrison's Flex Mentallo
Locke & Key Volume 2 & 3
Pretty Deadly Volume 1
Sex Criminals Volume 1

Zero Year. Save Hawkeye for the reading club. Place Flex Mentallo on whatever shelf you use to hold up comics that are too clever for their own good. Can't comment on the rest.

I like Conner's new redesign of Harley with the new hair color. Looks nice.

Also, just finished up BPRD Plague of Frogs. Excellent series to the end. It's insane how one of the issues shows off a design that I don't think was even used in BPRD until more recently. The amount of planning that has gone into this series and the general plot is crazy. If Hell on Earth manages to stay this good, this is easily one of the best team books created.

edit: TerminalDogma: I'd say go with Flex since it's a one and done story. It's really good.

Morrison's Flex Mentallo
Locke & Key Volume 2 & 3
Pretty Deadly Volume 1
Sex Criminals Volume 1

Transformers and Locke and Key. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOCKE AND KEY. Especially Head Games and Crown of Shadows. Though Clockwork is my favorite.

I really like Locke and Key.

Just finished up Volume 2 of Southern Bastards. That book is so damn good. Not sure if it's something I could read month to month though, just seems to read better in trade. Most books seem to read better in trade these days. I find myself more drawn to comedic books like Squirrel Girl and Howard the Duck for monthlies.

Speaking of reading monthlies, I didn't realize that the artist for Southern Bastards is the writer for Spider-Gwen. A lot of people seem to frown on that book, but I've been enjoying it month to month. I've also never really read any "alternate universe" type books outside of Secret Wars, so I think that's a large part of the appeal to me. Just seeing how they re-imagine these characters in that universe, I get a real kick out of it.

Pretty strong reactions towards Locke & Key so I think that's the next book I'm gonna go for today. If I've still got some comic reading left in me after that, I'll probably do Flex Mentallo since it's only 4 issues. Having read We3 and Vimanrama yesterday, I might as well continue with the Morrison theme.

Oh YES. Reading The Black Beetle by Francavilla, it's AMAZING. Great pulpy fun.

And what an absolute beast Francavilla is at panel design and action sequencing. Look at this:

IMAG0321.jpg

What a perfect sequence.

Keep posting more pics of this book so I can make the decision to buy this even easier.

Standard size, and it was a miniseries. Francavilla said a new miniseries will release this year, which I'm VERY excited about.

Pfffffttttt...yeah ooooohkkkkk.... LIES.. all lies.

I have the floppies of The Black Beetle mini-series, one of my favorites. This and Black Mirror (batman) is why Francavilla is one of my fav artists.

There was suppose to be a second mini-series.... early LAST YEAR.... Hes waaayy to busy doing variant covers for every single comic that has come out....

Sorry it sounds like hate,, but no just disappointment.

VanWinkle

Pfffffttttt...yeah ooooohkkkkk.... LIES.. all lies.

I have the floppies of The Black Beetle mini-series, one of my favorites. This and Black Mirror (batman) is why Francavilla is one of my fav artists.

There was suppose to be a second mini-series.... early LAST YEAR.... Hes waaayy to busy doing variant covers for every single comic that has come out....

Sorry it sounds like hate,, but no just disappointment.

Have faith, my friend. Although the comment about doing variant covers for every comic ever released cracked me up. He really does do so many covers, haha.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, if you have an Apple Device and like Choose Your Own Adventure Stories, download Lifeline from the AppStore, its a fun game! (And free!)

Hey guys, Marvel is liquidating some omnibus stock. Some great deals!

http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/marvel-omnibus-sale-2016/

Tempted to bite on X-Statix or Roger Stern Spider-Man but I just blew a bunch of money so I'm gonna have to pass on them.

Speaking of blowing money, I just ordered two statues earlier: Abe Sapien and a mini-bust of Liz based off of the animated Hellboy stuff. Cost me less than $40! I'm super excited.

Top Bottom