• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Is it odd that what I consider to be the most absurd thing in comics is all the Batman's stories happen in just 5 years canon (or at least that's what someone told me once). The guy couldn't have had a day to himself to fit in all those comics.

My headcanon is about 15 years. Batman is the mid-30s, Dick Grayson in mid-20s, Tim late teens-early 20s, Damian was 10-11 years old.

And Commissioner Gordon is just going through a mid-life crisis so he's dying his hair.

shingi70

Banned
Main beef with the timeline was the Justice League acting like children 5 years after the team formed. Also mangling the teen Titans to hell and back.

My headcanon is about 15 years. Batman is the mid-30s, Dick Grayson in mid-20s, Tim late teens-early 20s, Damian was 10-11 years old.

And Commissioner Gordon is just going through a mid-life crisis so he's dying his hair.

they should just cut a few robins out. There are too many Robins. Problem is that every Robin is someones favorite now and they don't wanna make anyone mad.

Owzers

Xenoblade X is getting kind of boring, i maxed a class out and have had my fill of wandering around, haven't even gotten into a mech yet. The game is big, and eventually it just feels done, it's never getting better than it's already been, probably sunk 20+ hours into it so far.

I know people are pessimistic about relaunches and DC but I'm excited especially after how all new Marvel turned out.

Some books I wasn't crazy about, but a lot of the books I was looking forward to trying out ended up being spectacular. Ms. Marvel, Doctor Strange, Vision, A-Force, Captain Marvel, Invincible Iron-Man... All really solid books. Hopefully they can maintain the quality for the long run.

I'm also going to need that new Blade comic ASAP, Marvel.

I know people are pessimistic about relaunches and DC but I'm excited especially after how all new Marvel turned out.

Same, though it's more about how much I liked DCYou. If they can patch up the weak spots without messing with the strong ones, I'm expecting great things.

Great things that don't sell, but still.

Messi

Wait, Margurite Bennet was at DC's offices a week or two ago to discuss stuff and things. I sent her a tweet seeing if she would ask them to let her write Batwoman and she liked it. Hmmm. Pls.

TheFlow

Banned
Some books I wasn't crazy about, but a lot of the books I was looking forward to trying out ended up being spectacular. Ms. Marvel, Doctor Strange, Vision, A-Force, Captain Marvel, Invincible Iron-Man... All really solid books. Hopefully they can maintain the quality for the long run.

I'm also going to need that new Blade comic ASAP, Marvel.
I feel it is too early to call some of the books you listed Quality

let some of them get past issue 5 or a story arc first lol

Owzers

I really liked Event Horizon, a little too creepy at times, but great movie. Lazarus Effect was okay for Wilde and a decent watch. I am only boycotting creepy dead people movies like Grudge, i recently saw Harbinger Down ( kinda like The Thing) and Exceterer (forget the name exactly, possession abandoned place movie), both were okayyyyyy. Maybe Last Shift or finish watching Contracted. Or tv shows that i never watch...

My comics goal is to finish Nameless, on to issue #2, i can read words and pretend to 100% enjoy it.

edit: Nameless #2 got me, fun issue even if it's still weird.

This just came in, really excited to start this soon:
pllOTKk.jpg

9472ddbb6.jpg

bce769e25.jpg

Above we have a sketch of T’Challa dabbin’ on dem folks courtesy of Brian Stelfreeze. Obviously, I can’t really take much credit for this sketch. Brian has this great ability, not just to interpret script direction, but to actually add on and make something new and beautiful.

With that said I’d like to talk some about T’Challa’s major challenge in this first season of Black Panther. (Here’s hoping there will be more.) When I accepted the task of writing the new Black Panther comic, I was faced with an obvious question—Who is this guy? There was the obvious and the known—T’Challa is the ruler of the mythical African nation of Wakanda. But to write, I needed to develop a grounded theory of T’Challa’s great loves, small annoyances and everything in between. The grounding came from past depictions of T’Challa by writers like Don McGregor, Christopher Priest, Reginald Hudlin and Jonathan Hickman.

I also had to create some sort of working theory about Wakanda, and to the extent to which I came to one it is this: Wakanda is a contradiction. It is the most advanced nation on Earth, existing under one of the most primitive forms of governance on Earth. In the present telling, Wakanda’s technological superiority goes back centuries. Presumably it’s population is extremely well educated, and yet that population willingly accedes to rule by blood. T’Challa descends from an unbroken line of kings, all who’ve taken up the mantle of the Black Panther. But if you’ve ever studied monarchy, it becomes immediately apparent that the aptitude, or even the desire, to govern isn’t genetic.

Leaving aside the problems of reconciling absolute monarchy with ultra-modernism, there are the actual events in Wakanda which have happened previous writers. In recent years Wakandans have endured a coup courtesy of the villainous Achebe, another courtesy Dr. Doom, the murder of two of T’Challa top lieutenants, a cataclysmic flood courtesy of Prince Namor, the subsequent dissolution of a royal marriage, and finally decimation and conquest at the hands of Thanos’ Black Order. Wakanda had always prided itself on having never been conquered. This is no longer true. What, then, is the country if it is as vulnerable as all others? And what happens to a state when its absolute monarch can no longer fulfill the base requirement of any government—securing the safety of their people?

I tend to think war

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/all/2015/12/conceptualizing-the-black-panther/420759/

Stelfreeze art is straight fire!

Can't wait for this run!

Not having something to read sucks!

Lazarus #2-9 it is!

I hope you'll share your impressions when you read those Lazarus issues.

I'm catching up on it now myself. I have all 21 issues but only read the first 6, and that was like a year and a half ago. It was interesting re-reading those first 6. I saw things differently upon reread. I've been impressed also by just how much I love the book. How invested I feel in the characters. Such an intense book.

I read #7 today and I'll probably read #8 tomorrow.

I didn't do my usual Comixology purchase on Wednesday, so looking for opinions on the following: Captain Marvel #1, Silver Surfer #1, and Pencil Head #1.

Busaiku

So Batman and Grayson are changing creatives...
Gotham Academy's probably getting canned, so I'm probably gonna be pretty much done with DC.

shingi70

Banned
So Batman and Grayson are changing creatives...
Gotham Academy's probably getting canned, so I'm probably gonna be pretty much done with DC.

Grayson isn't changing teams at all, Seely and King already said that there a fill in so they can work on something big in the summer that will raise Grayson's profile even further. It's most likely a new Grayson #1 and Seely/King working on Titans.

Batman is getting a new creative team but Snyder is moving over too detective comics. It makes sense with capullo leaving and Snyder already said that his post Superheavy Batman work will be slower and more akin to black mirror.

The Gotham Academy creative team already said in twitter the book isn't cancelled and is probably.looking for a new onoing artist. Also will probably get relaunches as Gotham Acadnry sonphore year or something.

Grayson isn't changing teams at all, Seely and King already said that there a fill in so they can work on something big in the summer that will raise Grayson's profile even further. It's most likely a new Grayson #1 and Seely/King working on Titans.

Batman is getting a new creative team but Snyder is moving over too detective comics. It makes sense with capullo leaving and Snyder already said that his post Superheavy Batman work will be slower and more akin to black mirror.

The Gotham Academy creative team already said in twitter the book isn't cancelled and is probably.looking for a new onoing artist. Also will probably get relaunches as Gotham Acadnry sonphore year or something.

Wait, forreal?

BOOOOYA

VanWinkle

Good info. Thanks.

I didn't do my usual Comixology purchase on Wednesday, so looking for opinions on the following: Captain Marvel #1, Silver Surfer #1, and Pencil Head #1.

Captain Marvel was a solid first issue. Silver Surfer was a little less so, and it has a bit of a different feel than the last Slott/Allred volume. I can't comment on Pencil Head.

Messi

They didn't say they would be coming back tho...right? They said the new team would be writing the next few issues. What if those next few issues catches them up to the renumbering and Grayson ends up being batman in a #1 by the grayson team?

wait...
Tim Seeley ‏@HackinTimSeeley Jan 19
You have not heard the last Bat from me, @TomKingTK or @mikeljanin. Also, @JacksonLanzing &@cpkelly are good replacement Dickmen.

Top Bottom