• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Messi

Rumor is Angela, Howling Commandos and one another might get the ax, then again, it's Bleeding Cool.

giphy.gif

Please don't do this Marvel.

ElNarez

Banned
I'd be bummed about losing some LGBT representation but I've been told Angela is not officially a lesbian, so it's all good

Messi

Second worst selling Marvel book for December, only outselling Howling Commandos

I don't care about sales, the book is quality.

If we were following the sales metric something like Omega Men and Prez should be dead. Doesn't mean they aren't good.

Also Hercules is lower.

I'd be bummed about losing some LGBT representation but I've been told Angela is not officially a lesbian, so it's all good

Wat

Messi

I am leaving this community to become a national sensation at my countries sport. Hurling. Thank you for your support.

cdNFX0f.gif

Owzers

If we were following the sales metric something like Omega Men and Prez should be dead. Doesn't mean they aren't good.

Also Hercules is lower.

Wat

Until reading this post i forgot Hercules had a book.

Messi

Until reading this post i forgot Hercules had a book.

It's a very easy thing to do.

Just seen the Comic Humble Bundle - https://www.humblebundle.com/books/getbooks any worthwhile?

Ah screw it $20 seems decent enough for Invincible Compendium (Issues #1-47) alone, as I've been keeping tabs on that and seems right up my street.

$20 is easily the best choice. Plus this bundle also has the lesbian ronance bdsm smut book Sunstone in it.

Great bundle

Rumor is Angela, Howling Commandos and one another might get the ax, then again, it's Bleeding Cool.

I admit, I haven't been doing my part by buying / reading this book. It was consistently one of the last things I read, and I just wasn't enjoying it. It became one of those books that felt like a chore. The art was pretty, but it wasn't for me. I think I've been over fantasy settings for a long time now.

I wasn't the only one that dropped it, looks like.
Similar sales drops are happening to quite a few of Marvel's series. Outside of a few cases like Deadpool, the relaunch had not helped sales at all and it's actually hurt a lot of them. I hope they seriously look at this and try to stay away from this constant renumbering.

Similar sales drops are happening to quite a few of Marvel's series. Outside of a few cases like Deadpool, the relaunch had not helped sales at all and it's actually hurt a lot of them. I hope they seriously look at this and try to stay away from this constant renumbering.

Do you think it's the renumbering that's driving people away? I don't care about that nearly so much as the content of the book. If I'm not having a good time reading the story, that's what's going to drive me away.

Messi

Do you think it's the renumbering that's driving people away? I don't care about that nearly so much as the content of the book. If I'm not having a good time reading the story, that's what's going to drive me away.

Renumbering gives people the opportunity to hop onto a book with the promise of it being a good jumping on point. It also gives people the chance to drop off.

Renumbering should work for DC as they haven't done it in a few years but marvel did it twice in one year for some books. I'm glad it's biting them in the ass but we are going to lose some good books because of it. Like Angela and Moon Girl.

Renumbering gives people the opportunity to hop onto a book with the promise of it being a good jumping on point. It also gives people the chance to drop off.

Renumbering should work for DC as they haven't done it in a few years but marvel did it twice in one year for some books. I'm glad it's biting them in the ass but we are going to lose some good books because of it. Like Angela and Moon Girl.
For the majority of Marvel books none of them were good jumping on points as they were basically continuing on from the last story arc before Secret Wars.

Not loving Lazarus so far through the first 4 issue arc. It's certainly not a bad book but it might not be for me. I'm just not a huge fan of books that are 100% serious 100% of the time. I need at least a little bit of comic relief here and there.

The book also seems to have a distinct lack of likable characters. It's basically just Forever and a bunch of hateful scumbags. It's like what A Game of Thrones would have been like if it had been about the Lannister's instead of the Starks and Tyrion were far less witty and hilarious.

The art is adequate. It doesn't get in the way of the story but I never find myself really appreciating anything I see.

I just finished #8. The world of Lazarus is a depressing place, to be sure. But I see a lot of hope, too. Hope that Forever will eventually be a warrior for the waste. Hope for the Barret family. Hope for the free.

And, yeah, there are a lot of characters to dislike. But I find some characters intriguing. There are signs that Joanna and the Carlyle patriarch (forget his name) may have genuine feelings of love for Forever. I'm curious as to Marisol's story. I expect one of the Barrets will be lifted and wonder whether they'll look to work for the free from the inside.

I feel like this book is dark like Shakespeare is dark. Most of the characters are conflicted and doomed. You never know for sure where people's loyalties will lay when shit comes down. Only there is more hope than tragedy in Lazarus, imo.

It's certainly not helping. I can understand renumbering if it's a new writer, since that's basically a new run anyways, but even then it's not the best case. Ms. Marvel, for example, didn't need to be renumbered. It has the exact same team, and is continuing as if nothing happened anyways. There was no point to renumbering it. DC didn't renumber after Convergence, and I liked that.

I liked it when back in the early to mid 00's, Marvel would number issues according to the run, and according to the overall franchise. For example, one issue would be #1 of that run, but say, #500 overall.

I'm trying to find an example...Maybe it was DC? I'm pretty sure it was a thing at some point, though.

I don't mind #1s if it is a new writer.

Like if Snyder does move from Batman to Detective Comics I could imagine both getting #1s...it's like an easier way to make it approachable for new readers - i think - because it implies the old stories have finished, even if the new writer might reference stuff. I sorta feel like before the New 52 some of the crazy numbering was almost just so they could say we've published 666 issues of Batman (think it happened during Morrison's run) or something like that. I don't really like the idea of doing it purely after an event and from the sounds of it ANAD isn't really that All New or All Different, in some ways.

It'd be interesting to see what happens, since I feel like it'll be something way smaller than BC are pumping it up to be.

Edit: Well Capullo said he and Snyder are both leaving Batman...

Many of the Marvel books are getting reprintings though, even stuff like Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur.

Yeah, their #1's are. The problem is that nothing beyond that gets reprinted, because no one is buying past it.

I have yet to see anything get reprinted like Spider-Gwen's Spiderverse issue has. And that wasn't even a #1

Busaiku

Yeah, their #1's are. The problem is that nothing beyond that gets reprinted, because no one is buying past it.

I have yet to see anything get reprinted like Spider-Gwen's Spiderverse issue has.
Nothing's on their 8th print or whatever, but even stuff like Invincible Iron-Man 4, Amazing Spider-Man 6, Doctor Strange 4, Nova 3, Spider-Man 2099 5, and so on are still getting successive prints.
Obviously it's not all sunshine and rainbows, and retailers are definitely feeling apprehensive, and rightfully so, but I don't think you can just write it off either.

mreddie

I hope the renumberings end, makes no sense to do that despite Wars. Worse is that, almost half of ANAD isn't selling but online maybe faring better.

DC can play their cards right if lucky.

Angela Hel is eh, it's more better than Assassin though.

So next months OT is going to be called All New Comics #1 right.

All New All Rebirth

I don't have a subtitle yet for next month's thread. Still have to think of something. Also have to pick out books to showcase too. If anyone has anything they want in the OP just let me know.

VanWinkle

I don't mind #1s if it is a new writer.

Like if Snyder does move from Batman to Detective Comics I could imagine both getting #1s...it's like an easier way to make it approachable for new readers - i think - because it implies the old stories have finished, even if the new writer might reference stuff. I sorta feel like before the New 52 some of the crazy numbering was almost just so they could say we've published 666 issues of Batman (think it happened during Morrison's run) or something like that. I don't really like the idea of doing it purely after an event and from the sounds of it ANAD isn't really that All New or All Different, in some ways.

It'd be interesting to see what happens, since I feel like it'll be something way smaller than BC are pumping it up to be.

Edit: Well Capullo said he and Snyder are both leaving Batman...

Well we knew Capullo would be done after 50. Whether he eventually moves over to Detective Comics with Snyder, maybe after he's done with the Millar collab, who knows. I doubt he will, personally.

Hellers

I want Hickman to write them like he said he wanted to, but then I feel like he'd probably not want to be doing another space epic so soon...

I've just reread almost the entire reboot that came after Zero Hour and I'd forgotten how much I came to love that version. I've just started rereading the five year later stuff again. That must have been painful to read monthly but it works really, really well for binge reading. I love Giffen's art in it.

Is it just me or are there some trades missing in Comixology for the most recent series? One thing I wish Comixology had built in was a date sort for the order published. DC have a nasty habit sometimes of not numbering volumes properly.

tim1138

Also Hercules is lower.

Wat

I wasn't commenting on the quality, just that it's not exactly selling like gangbusters and it wouldn't be a shock to see it get cancelled

Valerie D’Orazio, comics writer/editor posted some predictions or thoughts on the possible direction of the comics industry.

What I’m going to provide you with now is sort of my “stream-of-consciousness” take on the future of the comic book industry. Use it as you will.
My thoughts:

I think people really want the netflix/scribd model to work for comics but I don't see it. I don't see the reading base for most comics as big enough to make a subscription streaming model one of the primary ways people consume and pay for comics. The paying part being the important one. Its hard to gage how much money some companies are making with subscription participation like Valiant with Scribd or Marvel with Marvel Unlimited unless they decide to release numbers. IMO those are tertiary at best methods of income for the companies.

Regular book style publishing is something that could grow but I think any comics company with a presence in the direct market has a strong interest in releasing single issues then putting out a collection rather than creating books considering the larger upfront cost of creating an ogn.

I don't think creative synergy between comics publishers and parent companies will drive future direction in storytelling. It's more likely to limit creativity if you constantly have to check with a parent company to OK a book. I'd think it would better serve parent companies to let comics continue as they are and mine for adaptable storylines or characters.

Interesting that the article also foresees recentralization of comics talent. I think this would again limit the talent pool of creatives to mostly American ones rather than have the nice global pool of talent we've been enjoying for a while now.

The whole old audience vs new audience part and following 'clean sweep' section seems cynical. Possibly, the more established audience will realize that not all published comics are gonna be marketed exclusively towards them anymore and they'll just learn to deal with the many many many titles that are and the 'new' audience will find more comics that are made to reflect their interests.

Damn, Batman without Snyder and Capullo will be a sad day. Not the biggest fan of the latest arc but I've really enjoyed their run. It was pivotal in getting me into comics.

Top Bottom