• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty exciting to think what their next project together may be. Read bottom to top:

wtasdfgasdfa.png

Justice League?

Whatever they do next I hope it's horror-adjacent because holy fuck, that last issue of Batman was aces when it came to tension. Like, that final page was a goddamn bomb, and it didn't even have anything to do with the crazy body horror of earlier in the book. IT WAS SO GOOD YOU GUYS.

Snyder's always worn his horror credentials on his sleeve with Batman, stretching back to Black Mirror. Death of the Family was some SAW shit, and Endgame pushed straight into Slasher territory. And that side story with the Arkham doctor? Oy vey.

Personally, I kind of think it lessens them, but I'm really not a horror guy to begin with. I prefer his less horror stuff, so Zero Year and Court of Owls.

The man knows his tension, I'll say that.

Mindwipe

I don't have a subtitle yet for next month's thread. Still have to think of something. Also have to pick out books to showcase too. If anyone has anything they want in the OP just let me know.

Issue 50 of More Than Meets The Eye hits in Feb.

A publisher giving 50 issues to a new writer who'd never done a professional run before is kinda spectacular really, even leaving aside how awesome it is.

Messi

All New Wolverine #4 was really awesome. Loving this series so far and #4 was the best issue. Lopez knocked the art out of the park and the story interesting and it has some really funny moments. Plus a bit of action and Dr Strange was in it. The final page makes me really excited for next issue. Sad Lopez is leaving at #6 but Takara is just as good and fits perfectly with an X-23 book. One of the best new books from Marvel.

Dalek

Took advice from comics GAF and I've been reading Black Canary/Zatanna Bloodspell. This is such a surprise-I'm already dreading it ending. It's just so much fun to read!

JTripper

Just finished reading the last 2 or 3 issues of Grayson and Detective. Pretty decent stuff. The Robin War tie-ins seemed cool but I didn't care to buy the main issues. How did it end?

Tomasi continues to be a fine writer. Even though the Justice League appearance issues of Detective were kind of meaningless, it was fun to seem them working with Gordon and Wonder Woman have that lasso session with Bruce.

Just finished reading the last 2 or 3 issues of Grayson and Detective. Pretty decent stuff. The Robin War tie-ins seemed cool but I didn't care to buy the main issues. How did it end?

Tomasi continues to be a fine writer. Even though the Justice League appearance issues of Detective were kind of meaningless, it was fun to seem them working with Gordon and Wonder Woman have that lasso session with Bruce.

Robin War was pretty great. Ends with
Dick agreeing to the Court's offer, and the reveal that the Gotham Court of Owls is just one of many.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Too soon to call the Angela experiment a failure? I actually like the book, and think the character works well outside of being a ex spawn character. I wonder where they go with her if they do cancel it, stick her on some team book in a few months?

Sandfox

Too soon to call the Angela experiment a failure? I actually like the book, and think the character works well outside of being a ex spawn character. I wonder where they go with her if they do cancel it, stick her on some team book in a few months?

If the book is canceled I would expect her to show up somewhere else.

Messi

She has already been a member of the Guardians and I'd expect her to go back there. They have kept those ties strong in both books and Angela and Gamora are buds.

I don't think it's been a failure. Bennett has done great character work for her and made her more than she was when they got her from spawn. Constant Relaunches have hurt that book more than anything. There have been 3 books all trying to continue the same storyline in a row. I feel for the Angela team they clearly love her.

Angela's solo title isn't like most of Marvels other books. It's odd. It has its own mythology that it pulls from and references. It can be hard to follow at times but I find it rewarding. There are many issues where she doesn't fight anything or issues where it's mostly character building. I guess it didn't stick with people .

I don't mind fill-in artists but I'd prefer if they were drawing a one-shot issue instead of major story arc. It's the worst thing ever when the fill-in artist draws the last issue of an important story arc.
Same
Karnak artist had personal problems or something like that. There's now a new artist from #3 onwards.
When did #2 drop? Was it this past week? I haven't read the past weeklies.
I still read it :(
Has a #2 dropped? Because I liked #1.

Sandfox

She has already been a member of the Guardians and I'd expect her to go back there. They have kept those ties strong in both books and Angela and Gamora are buds.

I don't think it's been a failure. Bennett has done great character work for her and made her more than she was when they got her from spawn. Constant Relaunches have hurt that book more than anything. There have been 3 books all trying to continue the same storyline in a row. I feel for the Angela team they clearly love her.

Angela's solo title isn't like most of Marvels other books. It's odd. It has its own mythology that it pulls from and references. It can be hard to follow at times but I find it rewarding. There are many issues where she doesn't fight anything or issues where it's mostly character building. I guess it didn't stick with people .

3 books?

Messi

Assassin
Witch Hunter Angela
Queen of Hel

Witch Hunter was the Secret Wars book but it also had ties to the other story and stuff moving forward. It was making the best of having to do a secret wars book but keep telling the story you started.

mreddie

Yeah, Secret Wars hurt the series and you think with LGBT ties, the series would be a big deal for Marvel.

JSA finally reached a point where I have no idea what's going on.

So, I finally started Johns' solo run, as previously he was partnered with Goyer. So, his first issue (directly after the Thanagar arc) has the JSA taking a mission from President Luthor (comics time frame reference) and calling in "all the reserves," which include a lot of characters who I'm either not familiar with or have not shown up in the book:

-STRIPE (It could be argued he has appeared since Pat has shown up)
-Black Condor
-The Ray
-Nemesis
-Power Girl (familiar with but hadn't appeared yet)
-Shining Knight (same)
-Vigilante (same)
-Iron Munro
-The Patriot
-Phantom Lady
-Damage
-Dr. Occult (hasn't appeared since the Stalker arc ended)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You could always not cancel and keep reading comics? Or subscribe again in a few months and watch the Royal Rumble tmw.

Havent read anything in weeks, going through another slump, and thinking why im wasting the 10 bucks or whatever it is when im not using it. Its not like you cant easily resub.

Im so lazy

Goddamnit JSA. So, back to Johns and Goyer...Hourman's back, but now he's...different? Like, a standard human with some powers? Premonitions?

WHAT'S GOING ON?

Top Bottom