• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

Alright this is really lame. Part of the image humble bundle is the Invincible Compendium. Naturally that's the biggest file so it takes a few min more to download. But after downloading it it seems like my ipad is having trouble opening it. I put open in comic flow and that loading circle has been going for at least 20 min. I did it twice. I don't know if it's stuck or if I should just wait more. The other books opened instantly.

The first Invincible Compendium is 47 issues. I'm kind of surprised that your iPad didn't explode.

Owzers

Alright this is really lame. Part of the image humble bundle is the Invincible Compendium. Naturally that's the biggest file so it takes a few min more to download. But after downloading it it seems like my ipad is having trouble opening it. I put open in comic flow and that loading circle has been going for at least 20 min. I did it twice. I don't know if it's stuck or if I should just wait more. The other books opened instantly.

i can never download big files on my ipad from humble, i have to dl it on my pc and then transfer.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ending to the latest Batman was pretty hype

IUFgIv1.jpg

hAsug9H.jpg

Only 5 a week with daily discussion if you want. The weekend will be wrap up/catch up talk. Really easy read. Probably the easiest club we'll have.

Sounds easy. I would suggest reading around new comic book day, though. A lot of people have enough to read on those days.

VanWinkle

Guys, is there a problem with DC hardcover bindings? The books just...don't stay open, and there's always this loss of section at the end of every page, where the pages blend in with the middle of the book (I hope I make sense here. Not sure how to word it).

Experienced it with Swamp Thing Snyder Deluxe Edition I bought. I have Scalped and Invisibles as well, but they're still in the wraps.

So DC, like Marvel, have three levels of binding quality. First is the standard hardcover bindings. These are for the books that have the same page size as a trade paperback, just in hardcover format. These have glued bindings, just as Marvel's do.

Next is the oversized hardcover (Marvel doesn't have a name for them which makes it a little more annoying to point out, but DC calls them Deluxe Editions). Marvel's and DC's for a long time had glued bindings. For the last few years, Marvel has used a cheaper sewn binding for it, but still superior to glued. DC for the last year or so moved mostly to a glued/sewn method (Swamp Thing Deluxe, Multiversity, Batman 100, etc). It stays open better than a purely glued book, but it's still susceptible to gutter loss. However, the last couple of deluxe editions DC has put out have had sewn bindings that are actually better than the bindings Marvel uses in their OHCs. These books are Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire and DMZ Vol. 5.

Here is a comparison between a modern Marvel OHC (Hawkeye Vol. 1)
and the Green Arrow by Lemire Deluxe
to show my point:

Last we have the omnibus. Marvel long ago used glued bindings but for a long time now they have used high quality sewn bindings. They're at the top with bindings, IMO. DC has been very inconsistent with omnibus bindings, though they've improved a lot in the last couple of years, and their bindings of late are fairly close to Marvel-quality. It should also be stated that DC also has an Absolute line of books, and those bindings are always high-quality.

So there you go; more information than you ever needed or wanted.​

TheFlow

Banned
So DC, like Marvel, have three levels of binding quality. First is the standard hardcover bindings. These are for the books that have the same page size as a trade paperback, just in hardcover format. These have glued bindings, just as Marvel's do.

Next is the oversized hardcover (Marvel doesn't have a name for them which makes it a little more annoying to point out, but DC calls them Deluxe Editions). Marvel's and DC's for a long time had glued bindings. For the last few years, Marvel has used a cheaper sewn binding for it, but still superior to glued. DC for the last year or so moved mostly to a glued/sewn method (Swamp Thing Deluxe, Multiversity, Batman 100, etc). It stays open better than a purely glued book, but it's still susceptible to gutter loss. However, the last couple of deluxe editions DC has put out have had sewn bindings that are actually better than the bindings Marvel uses in their OHCs. These books are Green Arrow by Jeff Lemire and DMZ Vol. 5.

to show my point:

Last we have the omnibus. Marvel long ago used glued bindings but for a long time now they have used high quality sewn bindings. They're at the top with bindings, IMO. DC has been very inconsistent with omnibus bindings, though they've improved a lot in the last couple of years, and their bindings of late are fairly close to Marvel-quality. It should also be stated that DC also has an Absolute line of books, and those bindings are always high-quality.

I appreciate this post​

It dawned on me the other day that if comics was considered by the public at large a legit medium of art/lit I would not be interested in creating them. I like my art medium trashy to an extent.

to show my point:

VanWinkle, it seems like just yesterday it was that you had just opened your first omni. Comics fans commentary on binding is the true miracle of life.​

VanWinkle

It dawned on me the other day that if comics was considered by the public at large a legit medium of art/lit I would not be interested in creating them. I like my art medium trashy to an extent.

VanWinkle, it seems like just yesterday it was that you had just opened your first omni. Comics fans commentary on binding is the true miracle of life.

It's pretty amazing, lol. I've done tons of research in the last six months or so.

Owzers

Did Reigns reign?

He got thrown under the ropes, beat up by the league of foreigners, was taken away, took a nap, came back and superman punched people, and lost to HHH setting up a HHH vs Reigns for the championship at Wrestlemania. The only thing is, it could have been worse than that.

O________O wrestling is going to lose its good name.

Messi

He got thrown under the ropes, beat up by the league of foreigners, was taken away, took a nap, came back and superman punched people, and lost to HHH setting up a HHH vs Reigns for the championship at Wrestlemania. The only thing is, it could have been worse than that.

O________O wrestling is going to lose its good name.

Wait are you serious?
HHH was I'm the Rumble and they had him win? Holy fuck I need to see that loooool amazing

hypothetically, WWE PPV in 2016 should say everything

but this one was pretty good i enjoyed it for the most part

The undercard was all great. Even the Rumble itself was good for the most part, they built a lot of stuff for the next few months out of one match.

AJ Styles
was amazing, so happy for that guy. He got a nuclear pop, and his new music is incredible.

The undercard was all great. Even the Rumble itself was good for the most part, they built a lot of stuff for the next few months out of one match.

AJ Styles
was amazing, so happy for that guy. He got a nuclear pop, and his new music is incredible.

yeah, it's a big step up from last year's shitshow

RE: the spoiler - i marked out soooooo hard

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Furry Captain Marvel avatars

Im leaving this community

So why did Jack Knight give up the role of Starman?
I showed the deluxe edition to one of my friends that doesn't read comics, and he was STUNNED by the art. I show him a lot of the new stuff I get when he comes over to watch shows, but it's definitely the strongest reaction he's had to any of it.

Drag him in.

Viciously drag him in to the world of comics.

Sad to say my excitment for Ringside has totally died down, this isn't nearly enough about Wrestling and the drama that goes on behind the curtain as I hoped it would be. Instead it's about a retired wrestler who is caught up in a friend's repayments to a loan shark. I'll give it 3 more issues.

Corpsepyre

Banned

to show my point:

So, I'm cool with Swamp Thing, Scalped and The Invisibles, right? They're all 'Deluxe Editions'. I read online that people were facing pages coming out for Brightest Day.​

Mindwipe

Nice. It's a beautiful book. I'm trying to wait to read it (I don't know why, lol), but I keep looking at my copy longingly.

I don't have the hardcover but volumes 1-5 cover at least the start of this run don't they? I have to get back on the GA train after this month of MU.

Starting to read Silver Surfer now.

He retired to raise his kid and moved in the process
Gotcha. It confused me when Courtney had the Star Rod all of a sudden and no explanation. I also want to know when Hourman the robot got replaced with Ryan Tyler instead. In an early issue, robot Hourman leaves to contemplate things after Extant, and never comes back. Ryan Tyler just shows up during the JLA/JSA crossover.

Xis

Just finished Bendis's Age of Ultron -

I kind of liked it! Might be that I had low expectations going in.

My biggest complaints:
1 - Luke Cage pretends to turn over She-Hulk to Ultron. This is a nonsense plot point on it's own (why does Ultron even want the Avengers handed over? why would he trust Luke Cage for a second?), but what's worse is that this is the third time in his Avengers run Bendis has used a variation of this plot (Spider-Woman pretending to help Norman Osborne, followed by Luke Cage pretending to help Norman Osborne). It was dumb every time!
2 - I understand Marvel probably doesn't want two Wolverines running around, but having one kill the other was super dumb.
3 - The TPB doesn't inlcude Age of Ultron 10.1 AI (the Hank Pym aftermath stuff). Not strictly necessary for the AoU plot, it wouldn't have bothered me too much except the literal last page of the AoU TPB is a full-page ad for it for the issue they didn't include.

Alastor3

So I just finished reading Injustice Gods among Us and it's the first comic I have ever read. Now im looking right now at Batman Eternal from the New 52 series and it look good but I know there is another Batman (the title is just batman) comic from the New 52, is it a follow up ?

Mindwipe

So I just finished reading Injustice Gods among Us and it's the first comic I have ever read. Now im looking right now at Batman Eternal from the New 52 series and it look good but I know there is another Batman (the title is just batman) comic from the New 52, is it a follow up ?

Batman Eternal was a weekly series that ran for a year. It's more or less closed in and of itself. It takes place in the same universe as the New 52 series, but it's another story rather than a direct follow up as such.

I prefer the New 52 series myself, but I can understand how Eternal having a fixed opening and ending is appealing for a new reader.

Just finished Bendis's Age of Ultron -

I kind of liked it! Might be that I had low expectations going in.

My biggest complaints:
1 - Luke Cage pretends to turn over She-Hulk to Ultron. This is a nonsense plot point on it's own (why does Ultron even want the Avengers handed over? why would he trust Luke Cage for a second?), but what's worse is that this is the third time in his Avengers run Bendis has used a variation of this plot (Spider-Woman pretending to help Norman Osborne, followed by Luke Cage pretending to help Norman Osborne). It was dumb every time!
2 - I understand Marvel probably doesn't want two Wolverines running around, but having one kill the other was super dumb.
3 - The TPB doesn't inlcude Age of Ultron 10.1 AI (the Hank Pym aftermath stuff). Not strictly necessary for the AoU plot, it wouldn't have bothered me too much except the literal last page of the AoU TPB is a full-page ad for it for the issue they didn't include.
It's okay. Eventually you'll come to the conclusion that it made no difference and just happened for the fuck of it, which makes ot worse because it all happened with no status quo change as a result (though supposedly the O5 X-Men coming to the present is somehow related).

Oh, I looked up AoU's effect on the Marvel Universe: Angela came to 616. That's about it. That and Hank McCoy got access to Doom's time platform to bring the O5 X-Men to the present, which has had no major effects on the timeline anyway.

Mindwipe

Oh, I looked up AoU's effect on the Marvel Universe: Angela came to 616. That's about it. That and Hank McCoy got access to Doom's time platform to bring the O5 X-Men to the present, which has had no major effects on the timeline anyway.

The timeline splintering was referenced a few times, such as Uncanny Inhumans. And it was the reason for 616 Galactus entering the Ultimate Universe in Hunger IIRC.

Lasting effects, no. But then what does?

Top Bottom