• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2016. Didn't I promise? We're going home now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Batman Gothic was so fucking great.
And I was so happy that Grans Synopsis Papers were in the Deluxe Edition. I love to read those.

Sadist

Man seeing the Uncanny Avengers post from above makes me love volumes 2, 3 and 4 of the series.

Afterwards it turned sour. Stupid Axis.

arent all tropgies / avhievements by definition not worth it?

like, literally
Nope. Bloodborne was worth it. Got to see aspects of the game I wouldn't have bothered with if it wasn't there. Achievements/trophies can add value to games if the developer implements it well. Too many have this irrational hatred to any trophies

Ah, I think the confusion here comes from the Marvel Unlimited app, as it's grouped the ones I'm reading with the Uncanny X-Men (1963-2011). As this is all I've ever known I can't stop calling them Uncanny X-Men, so sorry if that's causing problems!
Fucking Marvel. Honestly you may as well skip to Giant-Size Uncanny X-Men #1, because classic X-Men adds quite possibly nothing to anything.
You're a brave man. I'm thinking about it purely because the roster seems really interesting.
It's an X-Force book, basically

GAMEPROFF

Banned
dcfringecoversmain.jpg

Fucking Marvel. Honestly you may as well skip to Giant-Size Uncanny X-Men #1, because classic X-Men adds quite possibly nothing to anything.

Yeah, I find it really frustrating as I really want to like them but nothing really ever gets going. The odd occasion something does happen - such as Stan Lee introducing Sentinels - it's quickly forgotten for a 'monster of the week'. Although in fairness, Stan Lee did blow up all the Sentinels and Master Mold in the last issue he wrote, as well as their original creator (I think).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nope. Bloodborne was worth it. Got to see aspects of the game I wouldn't have bothered with if it wasn't there. Achievements/trophies can add value to games if the developer implements it well. Too many have this irrational hatred to any trophies

I dont hate them, I think they are completely pointless is all

Yousefb

Reading through Remender's Uncanny X-force and I just finished issue 24. Man, that fight scene was fantastic.
The ending death is so brutal! You can really feel for Kurt's pain as he reconsolidates the idea of missing his friend and killing this new monster.
https://i.imgur.com/SPcbKv5.jpg

arent all tropgies / avhievements by definition not worth it?

like, literally

I probably wouldn't have finished the three different endings if not for the trophies. It's definitely not worth going for them for every game you play, but for a game I've really enjoyed I usually try to get the platinum. Bloodborne was another good example.

Reading through Remender's Uncanny X-force and I just finished issue 24. Man, that fight scene was fantastic.
The ending death is so brutal! You can really feel for Kurt's pain as he reconsolidates the idea of missing his friend and killing this new monster.
https://i.imgur.com/SPcbKv5.jpg

You gonna make me re-read this. MY BACKLOG DAMN IT! I have Robin and then the JSA Omnibus Vol. 1 to read yet.

shingi70

Banned
Chewbacca was cool, it didn't do anything for his character but it was cute adventure story about him and his sidekick sticking it too local smugglers.

Owzers

I read Kaijumax #1 and it was mostly good but didn't entice me to continue right away, maybe wait for an Oni press humble bundle. I liked the premise when reading about the book more than when reading the actual book.

Land's art aside, I actually really like Mags new costume too :/

It's an X-Force book, basically

It's really the presence of Mystique and Sabretooth that I'm interested in.

Also, what's the consensus on Totally Awesome Hulk? Thinking of giving that read today since #2 comes out this week.

Welp. Finished Life is Strange. The choice was made

Loved it. #3 on GOTY list. Need to ponder more

Chloe or the town? I picked Chloe. Always Chloe.

It is one of my favorites. Reading the entirety of that through Uncanny Avengers would be a fun couple of days.
It's really the presence of Mystique and Sabretooth that I'm interested in.
I like new Sabertooth. He's Angel (vampire with a soul) now. I'm okay with that. I'm more curious as to Fantomex, because last we saw him in Spurrier's X-Force
one of his three personalities had become power hungry, insane, and then was rendered a vegetable by Hope.
So I'm ridiculously curious.

Any of you ever read The Massive from Dark Horse? Curious about it, since the library edition is coming out in May.

I read it for a while. Think I got bored and dropped it somewhere in the third or fourth story arc. It's basically the boring adventures of some eco-conscious hippies on a boat. Also Brian Wood is kind of a piece of shit. Don't buy it.

I think you may be a bad person.
Nope.
I connected with a lot of the town people and felt it had a nice tragic sad ending. A hero sacrifice. I couldn't be selfish and ruin everyone else. Plus I wasn't convinced the repercussions would just end with the storm. And I got a nice kiss from Chloe out of it.

JTripper

I'm about 11 issues into Sandman and I wonder why I never got to reading this before. I'm really hooked. I love how Gaiman builds this mythology and leaves it just detailed enough so that you know what's going on through the art and dialogue yet there's still a lot of mystery to how everything works. I also really love how it balances being mystical and otherwordly yet still feels grounded through the physical personifications of each mystical character as well as following human characters in the real world (even though its supposed to be the DCU, which I didn't know at first). Issue 8 where
Morpheus meets Death is my favorite so far because of how grounded it felt in the real world, being set in NY specifically, yet you're following two characters who represent the abstract

The art is also gorgeous and it's one of the few comics I've read where I think it can only really be told to its full potential through comics. The story is just as interesting through its art than through narrations or dialogue. What sucks is I own the Absolute edition of vol. 1 so if I want to finish the story at the pace I'm going at, I'm going to have to dish out a pretty penny for the rest of them. Sorry wallet, it must be done.

I have a hard time seeing how the David Goyer/Joseph Gordon Levitt movie can take this story to its full potential, since I think many things are going to have to change for it to work or else it'll be another Watchmen deal or possibly worse.

Nope.
I connected with a lot of the town people and felt it had a nice tragic sad ending. A hero sacrifice. I couldn't be selfish and ruin everyone else. Plus I wasn't convinced the repercussions would just end with the storm. And I got a nice kiss from Chloe out of it.

I think
that you were playing in regards to how a story should end. I felt like the game was pushing you to be selfish at points, but ultimately left it up to you.

I think
that you were playing in regards to how a story should end. I felt like the game was pushing you to be selfish at points, but ultimately left it up to you.
I think
they were pushing you to both. Hell Chloe basically pushed you to do it. Chloe had a great arc and grew and it was the fitting end. And I couldn't feel happy wasting a town just to ride off with the girl. That'd catch up eventually. Now if they didn't have you interact with all the people in the town it'd be easier to chose it, but that's what makes it such a 50/50 like call

Yousefb

It is one of my favorites. Reading the entirety of that through Uncanny Avengers would be a fun couple of days.

I like new Sabertooth. He's Angel (vampire with a soul) now. I'm okay with that. I'm more curious as to Fantomex, because last we saw him in Spurrier's X-Force
one of his three personalities had become power hungry, insane, and then was rendered a vegetable by Hope.
So I'm ridiculously curious.
Is Uncanny Avengers an actual sequel or is it just similar style?

But is the interest enough to suffer that creative team?
I guess we'll see when it drops, won't we?
Is Uncanny Avengers an actual sequel or is it just similar style?
Like TyrantRave said, it's a sequel, carrying most of the same themes, as well as the Apocalypse storyline. Plus, there's only one character from X-Force that carries over (Logan), so Remender gets to develop a whole new group of characters. Plus, Acuna's art is sublime

I'd really like to hear more about Southern Bastards, as I'm still looking for a 'sports' comic. Is this like Friday Night Lights?
Its not a sports comic like Buddy Joe Hooker said but it does take place in a region with a toxic football culture. All sports references in book are 100% accurate. You might want to check out Inoue's Real or Slam Dunk

Also, it will always be a little funny to me when people mention Friday Night Lights. I've never watched it but parts of it was filmed at my high school.
Ed did you pick that Bloodspell page on purpose?

Nice writeup
Well, yes and no. Theres no submessage I planned on making by posting that page specifically. I just thought it was a good example of the book and I usually prefer posting an interiors example rather than a cover. It has been a while since I read it but it didnt seem to have a spoiler in it from what I can remember...

Good post, Ed. Thanks for sharing!
Any fan of Squirrel Girl is AOK in my book.
Thanks Dalek!

Any of you ever read The Massive from Dark Horse? Curious about it, since the library edition is coming out in May.
It was interesting for a bit. I'm a fan of Kristian Donaldson's work but he was only on it for three issues. Wood is pretty much a bad person so if that matters to you feel free not to buy it. The story is interesting in that it asks what happens to environmentalists after a global environmental catastrophe happens. Of course the answer is basically nothing happens and that is stretched for god knows how many issues. There are better ways of spending money.

I'm about 11 issues into Sandman and I wonder why I never got to reading this before. I'm really hooked.

I have a hard time seeing how the David Goyer/Joseph Gordon Levitt movie can take this story to its full potential, since I think many things are going to have to change for it to work or else it'll be another Watchmen deal or possibly worse.
Glad to hear you are loving it so far. It only gets better and better peaking at vol 9 IMO. The prequel, Overture, is tremendous and Endless Nights is a good addition to the mythology.

As to the show, we will get a well meaning but undercooked version of what makes Sandman so great. Should have been a slow burning HBO series. An animated one in a perfect world.

Messi

Well, yes and no. Theres no submessage I planned on making by posting that page specifically. I just thought it was a good example of the book and I usually prefer posting an interiors example rather than a cover. It has been a while since I read it but it didnt seem to have a spoiler in it from what I can remember....

Bro, that's my page :p. It's the one I bought.

Honestly my only issue is that I wish Uncanny Avengers was longer. AXIS has such a poor reputation, and the post-Axis run was just okay.

Top Bottom